Maguire needs to be replaced

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I mean, I still don't get how he regressed from last season to this. Remember how he was missed for the Europa league final last season?

He has been making so many mistakes lately. Any other manager would give him a rest and let Baily play, especially if he's coming back from injury.
I think this is at the route of the problem, he basically played constantly since he signed. Then rushed back from injury for the summer and then again recently. Clearly needs a break.

On the flipside Ole is going to remember how the defence fell apart without him when he was injured last year and clearly thinks we need him on the pitch.

Born2Lose

If only it was as easy as replacing or blaming one player.

VVD at Liverpool plays in front of a goalkeeper and behind a midfield he trusts, he wouldn't be playing at the same level as he currently is if he played for United.

LoneStar

I think this is at the route of the problem, he basically played constantly since he signed. Then rushed back from injury for the summer and then again recently. Clearly needs a break.

On the flipside Ole is going to remember how the defence fell apart without him when he was injured last year and clearly thinks we need him on the pitch.
Yeah, there is no way he just dropped off a cliff from last season like that. He might not be the best defender in the world, but he was rock solid last season.

Can definitely see this coming from Ole. It's the same with Bruno, he just hesitates to drop his best players. Which ironically makes them play worse.

JB7

If only it was as easy as replacing or blaming one player.

VVD at Liverpool plays in front of a goalkeeper and behind a midfield he trusts, he wouldn't be playing at the same level as he currently is if he played for United.
People genuinely seem to believe that it's a coincidence that we defended so much better in front of a different goalkeeper last season.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
You say he was rock solid last season but we had a terrible defense and he played in most of those games.

He's not complete crap obviously. He's just a slightly above average center back. With more and more teams choosing to play on the floor rather than cross and lump it up, his weaknesses are being magnified.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Yeah, there is no way he just dropped off a cliff from last season like that. He might not be the best defender in the world, but he was rock solid last season.

Can definitely see this coming from Ole. It's the same with Bruno, he just hesitates to drop his best players. Which ironically makes them play worse.
I mean i can see it from Ole's point of view, Look how much the defense fell apart without Maguire last season. Look how much we struggled for any kind of creativity before we bought Bruno. So of course he is going to want to play them as he doesn't know how to get results without them.

Like you say though, it's not good as it has ran them into the ground.

padzilla

Hipster
He is regressing and it might be time to switch to three central defenders if we don't have the players we need in midfield to protect the defence.
Knowing Comical Ole we will splash out on a left sided attacker in January though.

PeteManic

I would take Lindelof Varane over Maguire Varane any day. Club captain! feck me.

Lyng

People genuinely seem to believe that it's a coincidence that we defended so much better in front of a different goalkeeper last season.
People will go to extreme lengths to defend Maguire.
Truth is he just isn't that great. It's sure as shit not De Geas fault that Maguire can't read the play and moves like a tank.

JB7

People will go to extreme lengths to defend Maguire.
Truth is he just isn't that great. It's sure as shit not De Geas fault that Maguire can't read the play and moves like a tank.
Who's defending him? He's in the worst form of his United career at present but to say he can't read the game is quite clearly incorrect.

And it's not an extreme length to say they defended better in front of a different goalkeeper. They did, it's a fact, look it up. There is zero relationship between the defenders and DDG, that has been the case for a long time and looks highly unlikely to ever change.

I presume people are surprised when Maguire looks a completely different player in an England shirt too?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He was clearly rushed back and is suffering for it. That's on Ole and his staff. I don't know how you can have a squad as big as we do but not use it. I'm not Maguire's biggest fan, I think he limits the team with his weaknesses but he's been hung out to dry by cowardly team selection and incompetence.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's been well off the pace this season, but in an underperforming team seemingly with zero tactical clue from above, I'm certainly willing to give everyone a clean slate for a new manager.

Rolaholic

Embarrassing seeing him leading the team out every match day

It was a head scratching move to begin with coming from Leicester having won feck all and it looks more and more ridiculous over time as he's responsible for so many schoolboy errors and awful conceded goals.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Who's defending him? He's in the worst form of his United career at present but to say he can't read the game is quite clearly incorrect.

And it's not an extreme length to say they defended better in front of a different goalkeeper. They did, it's a fact, look it up. There is zero relationship between the defenders and DDG, that has been the case for a long time and looks highly unlikely to ever change.

I presume people are surprised when Maguire looks a completely different player in an England shirt too?
How many games did Henderson start last year?

I'm actually beginning to think that a move to a back three may be the need of the hour. Maguire and Lindelof may benefit from it big time as may useless CMs.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You say he was rock solid last season but we had a terrible defense and he played in most of those games.

He's not complete crap obviously. He's just a slightly above average center back. With more and more teams choosing to play on the floor rather than cross and lump it up, his weaknesses are being magnified.
Nonsense. Fit and in form he’s one of the best cbs in the league and for his country.
This is being rushed back from injury too soon, the guy needs a proper break

Zen86

He was clearly rushed back and is suffering for it. That's on Ole and his staff. I don't know how you can have a squad as big as we do but not use it. I'm not Maguire's biggest fan, I think he limits the team with his weaknesses but he's been hung out to dry by cowardly team selection and incompetence.
The bigger problem was Maguire being rushed back for England.

Ixion

I don't know why he was made captain straight away to be honest, it's probably one of the reasons we rush him back. Was immediately given a status he hadn't earned.

golden_blunder

Staff
I'd rather he was replaced by Lindelof. :p
For a break sure, but when he’s fit and sharp again he’s a better defender than lindelof. Though if I had my way I’d get rid of both, not the level United should be aiming for. Plus I’m sick of the 2 of them doing their sideways passing then losing the ball

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Overall, I think Maguire has been great for us since he got here, definitely an upgrade from what we had, but his form this year is atrocious and he needs to be dropped. Not sure if he's tired from his time with the England National team (which he was great) or he's still injured; either way, he looks labored and lost out there. Time to take a break.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Nonsense. Fit and in form he’s one of the best cbs in the league and for his country.
One of the best cbs but he has no recovery pace, is slow on the turn and is prone to lapses in concentration and positioning. Not surprising that a Phil Jones fanboy can't spot a good center back though ;)

For a break sure, but when he’s fit and sharp again he’s a better defender than lindelof. Though if I had my way I’d get rid of both, not the level United should be aiming for. Plus I’m sick of the 2 of them doing their sideways passing then losing the ball
Why would you get rid of one of the best cbs in the league? He obviously can't be that good.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
We all agree that big head should be replaced, but to be honest can we play Lindelof and Bailly against Kane (even if it's a poor Kane atm)

Ole's coaching will die with his ideas and Maguire will start every game. Such as Luke Shaw

golden_blunder

Staff
One of the best cbs but he has no recovery pace, is slow on the turn and is prone to lapses in concentration and positioning. Not surprising that a Phil Jones fanboy can't spot a good center back though ;)
I’m a Phil Jones fanboy because I asked people to stop slagging him when he hasn’t been fit to play for 18 months? Well if being mature and doing the right thing makes me a fan boy so be it.

what you’re saying about Maguire is probably true but he’s still a better defender than Lindelof when properly fit. There’s a lot wrong when we accept players like Lindelof and Maguire as good enough

GlasgowCeltic

Nah he's a good player overall, he has good and bad spells like good players generally do. The perception is he's a top player though, whereas the reality is in another life he's Michael Dawson or someone

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This is easily the worst thing about Ole. His squad management has always been a shambles. He’s brought in players with more desire. Fair enough. What about keeping the fringe players moving and keeping that part of the squad fresh, making big calls on not renewing contracts etc. He’s hoarding players for a rainy day but by the time the rainy day comes the players are totally out of it having not played in months. Rashford Bruno Maguire etc would have to be in a wheelchair to get rested or dropped. If he doesn’t actually trust the fringe players enough then keep them moving. Bring in fresh blood. We could have been signing cheaper but harder working players for these backup positions to push the first team to work harder or be replaced instead of just sitting on Donny Matic Martial etc.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I’m a Phil Jones fanboy because I asked people to stop slagging him when he hasn’t been fit to play for 18 months? Well if being mature and doing the right thing makes me a fan boy so be it.

what you’re saying about Maguire is probably true but he’s still a better defender than Lindelof when properly fit
You're doing the lords work buddy. Banter aside hope you're well.

Nah he's a good player overall, he has good and bad spells like good players generally do. The perception is he's a top player though, whereas the reality is in another life he's Michael Dawson or someone
I agree. Michael Dawson, Gary Cahill, Eric Dier, Phil Jagielka, Jones/Smalling. That's about his level.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We all agree that big head should be replaced, but to be honest can we play Lindelof and Bailly against Kane (even if it's a poor Kane atm)

Ole's coaching will die with his ideas and Maguire will start every game. Such as Luke Shaw
No we don’t.

He isn't good enough. When you consider he and Van Dijk cost about the same amount, then look at the difference in quality, and it's staggering. When Varane returns, I'd give him and Lindelof a go. Maguire should be nowhere near the captaincy; in my humble opinion, he shouldn't be anywhere near Old Trafford. Sheffield United and Hull were his level. He is a very limited centre back and isn't a leader.

RedDevil@84

Maguire fans are like Pogba and Martial fans. Always someone else is responsible.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If Man Utd bought £80m of Bitcoin in 2019 instead of Maguire they would have £868.5m right now.

:angel:

JB7

How many games in Henderson start last year?

I'm actually beginning to think that a move to a back three may be the need of the hour. Maguire and Lindelof may benefit from it big time as may useless CMs.
25 starts, 12 or 13 clean sheets off the top of my head.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I was just trying to wind you up. :(

Opinions and all that. I think he's shit. We've had some great centre backs down the years: Stam, Ferdinand, Vidic etc, going back to Paul McGrath. Maguire isn't even close to their level and £80 million was ridiculous. Maguire's previous clubs are more suitable for a player of his ability. His transfer fee and the captaincy have made him bullet proof in the starting eleven, but he makes so many errors and is bullied far too easily.

Robbie Boy

Never wanted him, but tbf he was pretty good last season. However, this season he's been a travesty. I've just never taken to him, and he doesn't strike me as captain material whatsoever. The fact that he's the most expensive centre back of all time is absolute insanity.

ToToMarshall

The political shitstorm of dropping an £85m defender and club captain is something Ole is not capable of wading through. Not really a point entertaining.

golden_blunder

Staff
Opinions and all that. I think he's shit. We've had some great centre backs down the years: Stam, Ferdinand, Vidic etc, going back to Paul McGrath. Maguire isn't even close to their level and £80 million was ridiculous. Maguire's previous clubs are more suitable for a player of his ability. His transfer fee and the captaincy have made him bullet proof in the starting eleven, but he makes so many errors and is bullied far too easily.
I don’t disagree he’s not in the same league as CBs I grew up with, including Kevin Moran.
however after Varane he is our 2nd best cb.
until such times as we get a new one then we gotta work with him.
not sure about the bullying bit of your post though.

David De Gea

I honestly just cannot see it with Maguire at all. OK, he is slightly above average at winning balls in the air (when played straight up the pitch, he seems to be caught out frequently by set pieces and crosses) and at times he can play a good pass out from the back (though I don't think this is a regular and I can remember just as many if not more standout moments from Lindelof and Varane in this regard).

However, his weaknesses are just so glaringly bad I can't understand how they can be overlooked. I have never seen such a so called "top, top" defender get completely done on such a regular basis. This isn't even when coming up against the best at their peak (see Torres giving Vidic the runaround at times) it can be any run of the mill player from any run of the mill Premier league team. All it takes is an attacker with a bit of speed and nimbleness and he can be made a fool of. Time and time again he is just skinned alive by players. Even last season when he was supposedly "rock solid" it still happened on a regular basis.

There have been plenty of top class centre backs that haven't exactly been blessed with speed and yet they weren't exposed so horribly and so frequently, they made up for it with positioning and reading the game. Maguire just doesn't have that and he's as big a part of our defence being a total mess as anyone else. As a captain he really is just pathetic, I think there was one video of him cursing at Shaw once and it was blown up as evidence of his leadership. I prefer to look at the longer term and see him just being another body out there, following whatever way the mood is going and not being the one to stand up and lead by example and try get players going.

What the criteria was for choosing him as captain I do not know (transfer value? height and BMI? Forehead size? Nationality?) but whatever it was it needs undone straightaway. The captain should be a role model and the one others look up to, not the personification of the abject failure of the team.