Maguire needs to be replaced

Schmeichel=God

The only person who should be captain is Ronaldo.

And if 6 months in Harry can become captain then Cavani can in Ronaldo's absence.

Even Rashford over Maguire for me, despite all his criticism.

As far as replacing Harry, he's ok if a team offers him some semblance of protection, closing down the spaces and limiting how far he has to sprint. His passing and bringing the ball forward are decent. But he has been error strewn recently, terrible really.

As captain...I never bought it ... hopefully a new manager changes it eventually.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The last time that happens he runs his shits out fearing for his life, and that's nkt even some random greek, that's an actual cop in a cop station.
I heard that on that night, Maguire headbutted 5 Greek guys at the same time.

Hughie77

I'd drop him , no problem even if it's just to prove a point, Shaw should be dropped as well, big time Charlie's now regulars in the England team.
That won't be for long if they Carry on.

They guys been Awful this coincides with Varane being out, does that show how his qualities are lacking in others.

Smacky The Frog

When he's good, he's fine, certainly not worth 80m, but he's fine in a Gary Cahill sort of way. When he's bad, he might be the worst defender in the league. CBs make individual errors all the time, but rarely do they so actively seem to sabotage everyone around them the way Maguire does when he's having an off night. And it always seems pretty obvious when he's having a bad game right from the start. It was obvious against Leicester, it was obvious last night and it was obvious in the 6-1 to Spurs. A better/braver manager would've replaced him at half-time (or not played him at all), but that's a different discussion.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Are you telling me our famed academy doesn't have candidates to replace this shower of shite for few games in? Shambolic really. Utter shambolic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is Maguire suited to a back 4? Given how slowly he turns, isn't he basically made for a back 3? Which would be funny given we signed him in the same window as AWB who can't play as wingback.

RopersReturn

The only person who should be captain is Ronaldo.

And if 6 months in Harry can become captain then Cavani can in Ronaldo's absence.

Even Rashford over Maguire for me, despite all his criticism.

As far as replacing Harry, he's ok if a team offers him some semblance of protection, closing down the spaces and limiting how far he has to sprint. His passing and bringing the ball forward are decent. But he has been error strewn recently, terrible really.

As captain...I never bought it ... hopefully a new manager changes it eventually.
Absolutely, Ronaldo is a natural leader who exudes confidence and passion.

RepardReece

Don't see the point of threads like this until we get a proper manager in that can actually coach the team. All our players look average under Ole.

Revan

Assumptionman
That the Harry Maguire who captained his national team to a European final without conceding a goal from open play?

Its completely pointless blaming individuals today. This is all down to shape and organisation
Hmm, it never happened. He is not in the hierarchy of England's captaincy. Kane captained the team, Henderson is vice-captain, Sterling probably behind them but not sure.

dal

Maguire was brilliant for us last season. I’m sure we’ll improve but the organisation needs to be sorted out, there’s a huge challenge for us now and monumental pressure on Ole.

Lentwood

I don't understand our fans at times. Maguire has been brilliant for us the vast, vast majority of the time, but never seems to have been accepted by some. I can't understand why?

Sure, he has looked poor this season. Show me ONE of our players who has performed well. They have all been abject, because there's no organisation or tactical awareness coming from the dugout.

Maguire is running around 'hero defending', trying to plug gaps. Shaw the same. This is why we look so shambolic. It's also why McTominay and Fred look worse than they actually are, they are all fire-fighting, trying to plug the huge, gaping holes that open up continuously.

tomaldinho1

I'd drop him , no problem even if it's just to prove a point, Shaw should be dropped as well, big time Charlie's now regulars in the England team.
That won't be for long if they Carry on.

They guys been Awful this coincides with Varane being out, does that show how his qualities are lacking in others.
Yh there’s just no competition for places or any kind of meritocracy with Ole’s leadership.

If your name is DDG, AWB, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, McT, Rashford, Ronnie, Bruno and you are more than 50% fit, you are starting every single game, regardless of form, regardless of opposition.

Hughie77

Yh there’s just no competition for places or any kind of meritocracy with Ole’s leadership.

If your name is DDG, AWB, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, McT, Rashford, Ronnie, Bruno and you are more than 50% fit, you are starting every single game, regardless of form, regardless of opposition.
Agree he picks a predictable 11. He started with the same 11 that was hopeless for 45mins against Atalanta. Look I'm not a manager just someone with 2 eyes and can see that it doesn't work.

hurricane thunderclap

I don't understand our fans at times. Maguire has been brilliant for us the vast, vast majority of the time, but never seems to have been accepted by some. I can't understand why?

Sure, he has looked poor this season. Show me ONE of our players who has performed well. They have all been abject, because there's no organisation or tactical awareness coming from the dugout.

Maguire is running around 'hero defending', trying to plug gaps. Shaw the same. This is why we look so shambolic. It's also why McTominay and Fred look worse than they actually are, they are all fire-fighting, trying to plug the huge, gaping holes that open up continuously.
Hero defending, god almighty He creates gaps! There isn't a forward in Europe that doesn't know how to turn him inside out.

Asger

More than Maguire seems to have smoked crack this summer.

Revan

Assumptionman

Probably because we don't think that he has been brilliant. He was very good at the end of last season average at best for the 1.5 years before that, and atrocious this season.

Big Andy

Bloke
I think the Euros has given Shaw and Maguire some kind of PTSD. They’ve both been utter shite since then.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Maybe not everyone believes he has been brilliant.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Get rid. Never rated him and we were certainly shafted by Leicester. How he became captain and one of Solskjaer's nailed on starters is a crime in itself. I would start Bailly ahead of Maguire every time.

MalaysianRed7

Prime example of a player affected by poor coaching imo. He is simply not this bumbling clown he’s resembling at this moment. He was very good for Leicester, albeit never even a £60m defender, and has always looked better than Stones for England, who everyone says is better than him. Why does he always do stupid mistakes here, like miscommunications with Shaw or not marking his man at corners like against Demiral, that he never does for England? You could put that all down to him personally, and fair enough, but we’re not getting the best out of him at all.

Once Conte comes in and implements his back 3 system, I think Maguire will be perfect as the central, core defender. His lack of pace will be exploited much less and will be protected by the likes of Varane, Shaw or Bailly besides him. Conte’s a genius in organising defensive responsibility anyway, so I’d expect him to get the most out of Maguire. If even he can’t do so, then it’s time to give up on him and cut our losses. Not yet though.

hurricane thunderclap

Prime example of a player affected by poor coaching imo. He is simply not this bumbling clown he’s resembling at this moment. He was very good for Leicester, albeit never even a £60m defender, and has always looked better than Stones for England, who everyone says is better than him. Why does he always do stupid mistakes here, like miscommunications with Shaw or not marking his man at corners like against Demiral, that he never does for England? You could put that all down to him personally, and fair enough, but we’re not getting the best out of him at all.

Once Conte comes in and implements his back 3 system, I think Maguire will be perfect as the central, core defender. His lack of pace will be exploited much less and will be protected by the likes of Varane, Shaw or Bailly besides him. Conte’s a genius in organising defensive responsibility anyway, so I’d expect him to get the most out of Maguire. If even he can’t do so, then it’s time to give up on him and cut our losses. Not yet though.
Honestly, Conte wouldn't pick him.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm praying a new manager will be like a nice cleansing fire that rips the armband from Maguire, drops him and sells him in January.

Will Singh

I think the Euros has given Shaw and Maguire some kind of PTSD. They’ve both been utter shite since then.
Maybe they were coached better and were given clear instructions and how to defend as a unit. It’s unheard of from going from one of the best defences in the euros and reaching the final and being the first Englishman to score in a major final for donkey years to the shit show they’ve shown this season

ExoduS

Maguire was amazing for England in the summer. Entire defense is clueless of what to do. Entire team is clueless what to do especially when defending.

Woodenlung

I won't argue that he's been poor this season, but I think a lot of the blame has to go to the lack of joined up thinking amongst different unites around the pitch. The forwards are giving no cover for the midfield and the midfield aren't helping defence.

That video going around about Maguires errors against Liverpool clearly shows how most of those mistakes were caused by systems failures further up the pitch. And he was trying to put out fires by the time the play came to him.

bugmat

People using England's run to a final (where they failed) as evidence of Maguire being great are not really cottoning on to the vast difference between league and international football. Add to that Maguire is NOT a CB who an play in a high line of a pressing team (didn't do that for us last year and never for Leicester) because he has zero pace or turnability. He can be good in the right system but he isn't world class (which would mean he can play in any system well) and he isn't suited to a team that presses, only one that sits back and counters as we did to scrape wins most of last season.

Asger

Maybe they were coached better and were given clear instructions and how to defend as a unit. It’s unheard of from going from one of the best defences in the euros and reaching the final and being the first Englishman to score in a major final for donkey years to the shit show they’ve shown this season
Well, Iceland was amazing in Euros 16, No player got a good move after it though. We can’t compare national football to league football!

E-mal

I have never rated him at all.
Looses crucial headers that lead to goals
Has zero pace, hence we cant play a high line and press.
Has poor ability on the ball in terms of playing short quick passess, takes ages to make a decision.
I wouldn't be bothered if he is placed on the bench or even sold to recover some of the cash spent on him.

VictoriaRed

It's hard to say that I can remember more of a fall from grace as this fella. He's overrated. It has to be said that when Varane went down so did we!

MadMike

He's got obvious weaknesses, like the lack of pace, but he's also a lot better than his current form. He's never been as error prone for us or England as he is now. He's still a good defender going through a very bad patch for various reasons.

It's probably a combination of injury, bad form, clearly low confidence and such bad coaching that the team is extremely open and easy to cut through whoever you put in. When the team plays almost 4-2-4 with no cohesion or pressing and the opposition gets through and runs straight at your defence with two simple passes, then it's really tough on your defenders.

Does that excuse some of his very poor individual mistakes? No, of course. He's obviously going through a bad patch like I said and maybe should not even be playing at the moment, but it's obviously not just him. The whole defence...no the whole team is a shambles at the minute.

MayfieldsFinest

Have to laugh at people saying Ronaldo should be captain. Ronaldo shouldn't even be at the club. He's a vanity signing that has unsettled the one part of the team that was working well already. We'd added to the attack and only signed Ronaldo to keep him away from City. We needed a 6, we've need a 6 for years but cant pass the next shiny thing that City are making eyes at.

LoneStar

I mean, I still don't get how he regressed from last season to this. Remember how he was missed for the Europa league final last season?

He has been making so many mistakes lately. Any other manager would give him a rest and let Baily play, especially if he's coming back from injury.

Roux

Ronaldo should be captain, in some ways he probably already is.