Maguire needs to be replaced

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Finished his career after the troubles in greece

That’s the key event

Too traumatic
Arguably his best form of his career (certainly his best form with us anyway) happened after the trouble in Greece though. Obviously he was terrible in the immediate month or two after it, but he slowly improved and then was fantastic in the second half of last season.

Red Royal

Arguably his best form of his career (certainly his best form with us anyway) happened after the trouble in Greece though. Obviously he was terrible in the immediate month or two after it, but he slowly improved and then was fantastic in the second half of last season.
Agree with this, I doubt any of his current issues are down to Greece. He seems to have had a dip in confidence, the opposition all know it and are just a little quicker to close him down which he is unable to cope with. If he can get through a few quiet games I hope he can get to his normal level at least.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Amen. Let the best man win. If Maguire is in the team because his performances are better than the others then no United fan should have a problem. If not warm the bench or get sold.
I actually think we would be better off getting another first name on the team sheet defender in, and letting Maguire, Bailey and Lindelof fight it out for 3rd,4th and 5th choice spots.
Varane is first name on the team sheet but isn't a nasty bastard. He reminds me a bit of Rio... We need a Vidic alongside him.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I really don't get the hate he's getting and this is coming from someone that never really rated him (above Linda or Bailly)

Look at how good Shawberto was after being away for a couple of games.

Maguire doesn't pick himself and didn't make himself captain. It's obvious he needs to be dropped.

He can do a lot better than he's shown this season, and again, my expectations for him aren't that high.

lee82gx

Those who defend him say he’s off form. But you’re supposed to pick up form when you play every match, don’t you?
How can you say playing too much is bad? Look at Eric who’s not been playing as much does it mean he will be a god every time he turns up every few other matches? Nope.

It’s every decent player’s coach and himself to assess and reflect if he’s being hampered by god knows what injury if any, and if not, playing every match simply must mean he will should be getting better or at least maintaining a high standard. For goodness sake let’s call a spade a spade. This is a slow bloke, pretty decent with his passing, can sometimes score a header and can’t defend when speed is required (aka MUFC’s reincarnation of Lauren Blanc) only we rely on him every match and also depend on him to lead the entire team.
We cannot hope or dream to win big with him as our Center. Simple.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Those who defend him say he’s off form. But you’re supposed to pick up form when you play every match, don’t you?
How can you say playing too much is bad? Look at Eric who’s not been playing as much does it mean he will be a god every time he turns up every few other matches? Nope.
Not if you are losing confidence every game. I don't know the team dynamics but Maguire never appeared to me to fit the image and 'flash' of some or most of the first team, he may be feeling marginalised especially as Team Captain, the position doesn't mean he can be everyone's best mate all of the time.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Both he and Varane seem slow, indecisive and nervous on the ball. Varane has been out so I'm prepared to cut him some slack, but this seems to be a reoccurring theme this season for Maguire, which is quite worrying, to say the least.

He's captain, and I don't think we should strip him of the captaincy, but with Lindelof looking like our best centre back (Bailly has been pretty good when he's played, too) maybe it's time Lindelof/Bailly and Varane have a run of games together.

BSSM

I actually think we would be better off getting another first name on the team sheet defender in, and letting Maguire, Bailey and Lindelof fight it out for 3rd,4th and 5th choice spots.
Varane is first name on the team sheet but isn't a nasty bastard. He reminds me a bit of Rio... We need a Vidic alongside him.
Couldn't agree more we need a beast of a defender along side varane problem is we currently don't have one on the books

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He's really become shit hasn't he?

Ixion

"He doesn't pick himself and doesn't make himself captain"

This is an irrelevant excuse, the fact is he does play every single game regardless of form and is captain so he is obviously going to be judged to those standards and not to the same standards of a Baily who comes in once every few months for a game and reportedly is on less than half of Maguire's salary

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think he himself should give up the captaincy and concentrate on his form.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Maguire is not the problem. I just watched Arsenal vs City and I kept thinking how good we would be if we had Partey or Rodrigo. Instead we have McT and Fred pretending to be DMs. The really sad part is this has been a problem for 3 years now and our managers and front office have not fixed the problem.

Lord Zlatan

Maguire is not the problem. I just watched Arsenal vs City and I kept thinking how good we would be if we had Partey or Rodrigo. Instead we have McT and Fred pretending to be DMs. The really sad part is this has been a problem for 3 years now and our managers and front office have not fixed the problem.
Hes the fecking captain of Manchester united. Just finished watching Robbo and cant believe this clown is even at our club never mind the captain.

lee82gx

Not if you are losing confidence every game. I don't know the team dynamics but Maguire never appeared to me to fit the image and 'flash' of some or most of the first team, he may be feeling marginalised especially as Team Captain, the position doesn't mean he can be everyone's best mate all of the time.
He is playing in his home league, without issue of communication or foreign style. This must be his 8th continuous season in EPL.
If you have the class, skills and abilities, why would you lose confidence with every game? If yes then you don’t deserve to play for MUFC in any position in any capacity, let alone captain. Name me one player who is as fit every season (ie uninjured) playing Center back and getting so “low in confidence”.
They same form is temporary class is permanent. A few matches is form, a few seasons is class. I used to think he was our best central defender but it increasingly looks like he was just on flash form at that time. Even at those times I already note he was slow to turn and easily to be dragged out in a sprint, but managing to use his understanding to place himself at the right place. Now this has been usurped by every attacker he’s faced when they get close to him instead, not allowing him to position in advance.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Was a good player when the whole team was in form - United getting to second and England getting to Euro finals.

However, a player that is in no form at all when the whole team is exactly that - not in form.

Bruno, Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, AWB, Shaw, Telles, Dalot, Cavani, Varane, Bailly and many more players have had some fault this year with the fans looking down at them at one point and even more.

For me Maguire is just another name to that list - rather than a specific cause of our problems.

However, it's harder for people to accept that from him because of him wearing the captains armband - so people think he should be the one standing up when the whole team is down. He should give it up to Ronaldo or De Gea - and turn back to 'just a name on the team sheet'.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
He is slow to make decisions, and that's a terrible trait to have as a centre defender when you have no pace either
Yep and despite having a forehead that the local council normally need planning permission for, he let's far too many balls bounce around him, and then he gets out muscled to control the second bounce.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There's garbage posts and then there's this.
Remind me, what comes below a garbage post?

Agreed. It's like some people don't watch us play.

Lindelof makes some key passes. I can recall a couple of goals just from him long-balling it upfield. Not just hopeful punts either, but great passes into the channels.
You can recall two key passes in Lindelof's 4 years at the club? And that settles it for you?

Lindelof is useless on the ball. He just is.

You could possibly claim he was a good buy at the time (despite over paying).

He has been like an emergency repair to our defence as he knew the league and came straight in but he is not the long term fix.

We have now evolved as a team and he really should be replaced. Aside from Ole and a couple of others, Maguire is certainly one of the reasons that we have dropped so many points.

dinostar77

Should be interesting to see what happens to him if RR stays on beyond this season or someone else comes in who follows RRs approach to football. RR plays a very high block and therefore with that approach you need CBs with recovery pace and positional ability. Maguire has neither.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
So because we have poor midfielders Maguire is not crap?

I'm sorry but he is a problem. His weakness and limitations compound the overall problem of a poor team. Then even more so as he's the captain

jesperjaap

For me Maguire is a good defender, but never an elite one. I thought he was the wrong signing and even with premiership fees at a ridiculous price.
He has been dreadful so far this season, no doubting that, but I think the over reaction from that of people labelling the worst player etc etc is excessive, he was decent towards the end of last season, we did actually muss him in the Europa final for example.

I dont think he needs replacing but he does need serious competition to partner Varane which I dont think is there at the moment. JOnes obviously needs to go, Tuanzabe should be going too. Bailly for me all round is actually the next best defender BUT the constant injuries and still making rash decisions, he isnt the answer. I think all three of them should be moved on this summer personally as none provide consistent reliable cover or competition. The only other one is Lindelof, and he has actually improved this season, enough to remain in the squad, but a starting eleven player for a side challenging for titles....get out of here. He is still no more than decent, weak in the air, weak on one on ones, weak defending through balls and crosses, competant but nothing special like some make out on the ball.

I think we should keep Varane, Lindelof and Maguire but provide competition for all of them. An experienced free like Romagnoli and a reasonably priced hot youngster of which a few names are getting mentioned would be good this summer.

As someone else mentions a bit higher in this thread, of more importance though is improving our central midfield. It is hard to judge all of the defenders when at the moment they are so often over exposed. Better protection in front of them and player that are able to cycle the ball better so not so many passed back to them would be as beneficial as and centre back signing

justsomebloke

As late as this summer, Maguire made the tournament team at the Euros, off a world class performance in that tournament. That's his level. He's not been playing anywhere near that level this season, and has at times been atrocious.

Funnily, Luke Shaw, Paul Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Marcus Rashford and others also have had significant drop-offs in performance this season. Reading a lot of the contributions around here, it sounds like a lot of people think this means that they have suddenly become very bad players. Obviously, they haven't. The Maguire who excelled at the Euros and the Bruno who tore up the league last season haven't gone away. And it is stupid to assess them on the basis that what we've been seeing these last few weeks represents their true level. Maybe there's individual reasons for the drop in form and maybe there's something about the team that impacts back on certain players, maybe it's a combination. But Maguire, like Shaw and Bruno, is for sure a much better player than this.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
So because we have poor midfielders Maguire is not crap?

I'm sorry but he is a problem. His weakness and limitations compound the overall problem of a poor team. Then even more so as he's the captain
Well, I'm not sure what to say if you think there is no link between the CBs and DMs. Maguire is not crap based on his previous play last year and at the Euros. A player doesn't turn crap after being on of the best CBs over a year.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
As late as this summer, Maguire made the tournament team at the Euros, off a world class performance in that tournament. That's his level. He's not been playing anywhere near that level this season, and has at times been atrocious.
That's his top level*

So far in his career he hasn't showed that he is capable of achieving consistently great performances over a long period of time (at least a full season and, ideally, more). He has shown that he is capable of reaching that level but he has also showed that he's equally capable of horrendous leaps in form. Ideally he's going to learn how to remain at that top level for longer but such inconsistency is usually associated with younger players, while Maguire is already 28 (and turns 29 in a few months). Sadly, not every player who's had a world-class (or somewhat borderline world-class which is how I would probably classify Maguire's end of the season; anyway, brilliant) spell of form is a world-class player.

stoinz

He shouldn't been made captain. I suspect the weight of captaincy just too much for him. He is a good player and more importantly a fit one that played most amongst the squad. His confidence is clearly shot, just need some time out.

MrBest

Signed for €25mill last year, been class since then, world-renowned wonderkid....we'd surely be looking at €80mill anyway
Can we swap him for the worlds most expensive centre back and also the captain of the greatest club in the world. Seens like a great deal for them!

SAFMUTD

He is unreal every time I see him, he's still only 19 and would cost like 100mill though surely.
No way, whiles he's the new shiny defender there 100M is way too much. They sold Upamecano who was rated higher for only 40M, I think a fee of around that would do it.