Maguire needs to be replaced

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Absolutely bang on. If you switched Maguire and Bailly's roles in the goal tonight and Maguire and Varane's roles for the Newcastle goals it would still be Maguire getting all the blame. He's become a massive scapegoat. Thought he was solid tonight.

Remember when people thought it was just Ole who was obsessed with him? For some reason Rangnick's now got him down as a key player and Southgate swears by him for England too as will the manager who comes in in the summer. Join the dots together lads, he's just very good and that's why they all rate him.
International football is way different to the speed of the PL. Give Maquire time on the ball and 9 times out of 10 he'll find a decent pass. Pressure him and he crumbles which we've seen time and time again. Not something we need if we're serious about becoming champions again and what choice has Rangnick had about playing him with all the injuries we've had in the CB spot?

I'm not saying get rid of him but for whatever reason this season he's been horrible and needs to be taken out of the firing line until he finds some semblance of confidence which as I said before unfortunately we can't do because for now there really is no one else. Maquire is a better defender than what we're seeing but that doesn't mean the criticism he's receiving isn't unwarranted . It's pretty simple. With the form he's in he shouldn't be playing unless there's no other alternative or do you think he should be untouchable?

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He’s horribly out of form. He’s also much better than his current output.

The idea that he’s some sort of terrible defender is complete and utter bollocks, but he absolutely does need some time out of the firing line when Lindelof is fit again.

The issue there is that Maguire is fit and reliable and will inevitably get back into the team in light of injury or illness. Dropping him is easier said than done.
This is fair. Whenever a player is as badly out of form as Maguire has been for such an extended period of time, it's almost impossible to remember what they look like in top form. He's had a horrendous season and his confidence looks at rock bottom. We're struggling to come up with 2 fit alternatives at the moment. We'll just have to hope hevplays himself out of it. I'd be happy to see him out of the firing line for a bit.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
First the blame was on his CB partner, so we went out and got Varane, so what will it be now? Who's fault is it that he makes at least one big mistake per game?

Blake's 7

He doesn't display the necessary leadership skills to be captain of a team competing at the top level. In terms of ability he's hopelessly out of form and is a liability, his lack of pace is alarming and exposes his positional weaknesses. I do believe other teams target him.
Just think about the other teams at the top of the league and their players, if we "lost" Maguire and magically could sign VVD, Dias, Rudiger - who on here would not view that as a massive upgrade? But if those teams signed Maguire from us, don't think they'd view it as a move that strengthened their team.

Judas

Open to offers

The idea that he’s some sort of terrible defender is complete and utter bollocks, but he absolutely does need some time out of the firing line when Lindelof is fit again.

The issue there is that Maguire is fit and reliable and will inevitably get back into the team in light of injury or illness. Dropping him is easier said than done.
Yep this is exactly how I feel. He's nowhere near as awful overall as people have wanted to make out, but he is performing at that awful level right now, its just sad watching him, every time the ball goes near him he looks shit scared and you expect it to go horribly wrong.

Red_toad

First the blame was on his CB partner, so we went out and got Varane, so what will it be now? Who's fault is it that he makes at least one big mistake per game?
Varane made a big mistake in Toon game and Eric against Burnley. It's all of our defenders who make regular cockups.

Ananke

His form has been shocking for a prolonged period of time, there’s a point where you need to start saying ‘he’s bad’ and not ‘he’s out of form’.

He’s the captain of United ffs. Criticism will be amplified and rightly so.

hobbers

Varane made a big mistake in Toon game and Eric against Burnley. It's all of our defenders who make regular cockups.
No other defender has made a massive cockup in every game like Maguire has.

And the several games where he made half a dozen major cockups. Leicester, Liverpool, Watford etc

MrBest

Maguire is really good at bringing the ball out but he never gets time to do it. I think 1 on 1 the probabilities are against him, look how lennon skinned him despite being about 10 yards behind him at first. This happens most if not every game. He just stands there, takes 30 seconds to rotate and gets beat by his man every time. Why he does not use his body more is beyond me, he could use it to pressurise and slow the opposition player down. I consider harry as a liability for us, maybe our style of play does not suit him, maybe the pressure of the fee and the captaincy tells him he is better than he actually is. One thing for certain and for me, he is not a United player. I'd much rather use Varane and Bailey or Varane and Lindeloff until the end of the season.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We're victim of his price tag.
80m means we cant bench him, cant move him on, and can't do nothing but create a myriads of excuse and having to keep trying him, again and again, even if rangnick bench him eventually he'll be given time to prove his mettle, because.... well 80m players

Ole as dof... i doubt he even scout maguire and actually watch him play

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Compared to the cock up Maguire makes every game? Also, every defender will make a mistake, that's normal, but when it happens multiple times in almost every game then you worry.

You see it with other defenders, why can't Maguire as the main CB and captain bail Varane out for once? Why can't he cover other players mistakes, that's his job. Something he fails at.

You could put it down to confidence, fitness etc. but for me, I have made it to the stage where I believe Maguire is just not good enough for us to win things and never will be. He lacks the qualities you need in the modern game to be a top CB.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I hate to say it but I can't stand him. Does anyone feel like this? I'm sure he is a decent bloke but I just don't like him at all. A shambles that he is the captain and playing week in and week out.
I lost all respect for him when he declared himself fit after one day of 'training' coming back from injury.
Yes. The idiot picked him.
But this guy is captain and should have thought of the team first.

Yes. It was the Leicester match, after which Ole should haver been fired.

RuudTom83

Rotation is the key.

United have a big squad without a clear 11 players that are better than the rest.

So use the big squad and rely on freshness rather than talent.

Harry is having a god awful season, and once Varane is back to fitness I’d like to see him partnered with Victor or Eric.

Give Maguire a break for a couple of games.

G-manc

I thought some of his diagonal passing was very good against Newcastle but he was back to being shaky last night. He came with a reputation as a ball carrier but he's only capable of this if given time. He seems to have being targeted to be pressed in the same way as AWB has as the opposition know he has a mistake in him.

The grabbing/shirt pulling in the box needs to stop too.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yeah, things do tend to get hysterical when discussing United players on here :lol:

Maguire is a good CB on his day, but he hasn't played anywhere near his best for a good 12 months now. Some time out of the team may help, but his replacements aren't up to much either. Our back line is pretty grim right now.
A measured response in amongst the volumes of shouting at clouds, and for that I can only commend you.
He hasn't been at his best, bit I though he was solid last night and against Newcastle.
Varane was the weak link v Newcastle, Bailly was the weak link last night.
I think he gets scapegoated on here, moreso last night because another target in McT had a blinder, leaving Maguire as the sole target for the miseries.

Red_toad

No other defender has made a massive cockup in every game like Maguire has.

And the several games where he made half a dozen major cockups. Leicester, Liverpool, Watford etc
I believe you have a slightly bias opinion if that's what you see every game.
By far our best central defender last season after his holiday issues were resolved. This season he was rushed back from injury and simply hasn't picked up any form.

Champ

What is embarrassing about his thread?

is acknowledging the fact that Harry does not suit a team that wants to play a high line embarrassing?

Is acknowledging the fact that Maguire has been shockingly poor so far in this season embarrassing?

Or is acknowledging the fact that he is not a captain material embarrassing?

Maguire was really solid when we played deeper and played from the counter, however, when we tried to transition to a team playing a higher line then Maguire’s complete lack of speed and agility has been exposed. You can see opposition targeting him when they attack as it is obvious that he can crack under pressure.

Additionally, he is in terrible form now and unable to show his limited strengths at this stage (like aerial prowess).

I don’t think that Pep or Klopp would be able to fit him in their teams due to his obvious deficiencies.

He is a good CB but never a first team CB for a team that wants to win titles on regular basis.
Yes, it's all embarrassing.

Pep actually wanted Maguire for City and was gutted when he went to us instead.

But of course the fact that Maguire plays an integral part for his country and club under numerous managers isn't good enough for some on here.

He may not be hitting the heights all the time, but he has certainly had good games this season.

But some on here have already mailed their flag to the mast by saying stuff like ' I can't stand the guy', which shows they let their emotions make their decisions rather than anything he shows during the games.

Sad really.

Red_toad

A measured response in amongst the volumes of shouting at clouds, and for that I can only commend you.
He hasn't been at his best, bit I though he was solid last night and against Newcastle.
Varane was the weak link v Newcastle, Bailly was the weak link last night.
I think he gets scapegoated on here, moreso last night because another target in McT had a blinder, leaving Maguire as the sole target for the miseries.
Rashford was benched as well, so even more focus on Harry :D

bdspeedy

Slabhead has been no where near good enough for anything but the bench. Slow as shit. Has the pace and mobility of a dump truck. Has ZERO composure. Can't seem to direct any of the dozens of corners he's gotten his head on. The fact that he remains our captain is a huge symptom of how horribly our club is run.

Mr. Ant

To be fair the whole defence is horrible and has been all season long but what I can't understand why he constantly keeps the ball for too long and tries to find that single good pass. He should quickly pass to midfield, he's not as good on the ball as he thinks he is.

Ixion

I don't want to be horrible about it but he just epitomises whats gone wrong at the club. Paid an astronomical fee for someone that has never won anything, handed the captaincy without earning it, massively protected because he's English. He isn't better than Lindelof yet somehow has found himself as the most powerful player at Manchester United and undroppable. We have a squad of Big Time Charlies that think they've made it without ever winning anything and hes the worst one for it. Maguire, Shaw, AWB, Lingard, Rashford are our equivalent of the Scouse Spice Boys in the 90s.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

Varane and Shaw are the only defenders we have who are good enough to start for Manchester United. Our defensive recruitment has been shocking for years, even in Fergie's last couple of seasons.

peridigm

Everytime I browse the posts in this thread I can't help but imagine Brendan's huge tooth smile.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Absolutely bang on. If you switched Maguire and Bailly's roles in the goal tonight and Maguire and Varane's roles for the Newcastle goals it would still be Maguire getting all the blame. He's become a massive scapegoat. Thought he was solid tonight.

Remember when people thought it was just Ole who was obsessed with him? For some reason Rangnick's now got him down as a key player and Southgate swears by him for England too as will the manager who comes in in the summer. Join the dots together lads, he's just very good and that's why they all rate him.
How is he Ralf's key player? hes been in the charge for how many games now? 5? any sane manager would keep the captain of a new team he manages for more than 5 games I believe. Let's see how it goes. But one thing is clear, Maguire needs to improve. Has the ability just need the performance.

L1nk

Not sure why everyones here backing Maguire and complaining about people calling him out for how poor he is, especially when they are the first ones to shit on Lindelof whenever he doesn’t have a great game. Yet Lindelof’s been completely outperforming our 80m captain at a fraction of the price for a while now, our best pairing would be him and Varane

Maguire is not of the standard for a team competing for the League, United should have realised this and spent way less on Ruben Dias who was still available in the cheap at the time, Man City were smarter and did this, because our club is god awful at recruitment, especially during the Solskjaer era, that first Brexit summer of Maguire, AWB and James was atrocious and it’s looked like bad business for a while now

Zed 101

there is something not right that has nothing to do with the players themselves, I am not saying Maguire is world class but playing for England he looks 10x the player he does for Utd, Varane looks shakey as hell yet has been playing as a top level defender for years, Lindelof is just not that good but even still, there is something more whether it is the coaching, the set up IDK but the defense we have should look more solid than it does, I think you could start Dias and Van Dijk in our back 4 and they would look all at sea, there is definitely something bigger that needs addressing

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

I agree his form is worse than he actually is as a footballer. But there is also the likelihood that the style of football United wants to (and should) play is not suited to his strengths as a centre back.

clarkydaz

Finished his career after the troubles in greece

That’s the key event

Too traumatic
I agree that incident has done him a lot of mental damage, and isnt the personality to be under the microscope. A meek, gentle giant. He wasnt great before that Greece episode though, many fans were happy throwing him to the lions, and not usually defending a United captain

iHicksy

Regardless of his form - I'm not sure why why he was handed the captaincy. Was it a lack of better options at the time? I assume so. I felt Bruno was the right choice for the captaincy when he joined and now i'd give it to Ronaldo with Bruno VC. They both have the drive and demand more of their team mates. It's a possibility that removing the pressure of captain from Maguire might actually see him return to a semblance of form.

spiriticon

The problem for Maguire is that we can all see he's struggling but he is never dropped. Everybody else in the defence has been dropped at least once.

He gets special treatment and it irks a lot of people.

hobbers

I believe you have a slightly bias opinion if that's what you see every game.
By far our best central defender last season after his holiday issues were resolved. This season he was rushed back from injury and simply hasn't picked up any form.
He's made at least one catastrophic mistake in almost every game this season. He was the primary reason we capitulated at Leicester and got demolished by Watford. Also the biggest culprit for why Liverpool were 3-0 up in 30 minutes, same as he was in the 6-1 vs Spurs the season before.

Saying he was by far our best central defender last season is almost meaningless. We only had 3, we already know Lindelof and Bailly have a no shortage of faults, and Bailly only started 10 games in any case.

At his very best he's a plum average CB who is a liability in 1v1s, always has a howler in him, but has a good fitness record.

Biggins

Yes, it's all embarrassing.

Pep actually wanted Maguire for City and was gutted when he went to us instead.

But of course the fact that Maguire plays an integral part for his country and club under numerous managers isn't good enough for some on here.

He may not be hitting the heights all the time, but he has certainly had good games this season.

But some on here have already mailed their flag to the mast by saying stuff like ' I can't stand the guy', which shows they let their emotions make their decisions rather than anything he shows during the games.

Sad really.
Pep's recruitment in the defensive department is far from stellar. So Pep wanting him does not mean that he would be a success there and I think he would be benched at City sooner than later.

Maguire's good to great performances in English national team are not surprising as the current defensive setup of English NT suits him. If Southgate decides to play more expansive and attacking football then Maguire's weaknesses will be exposed just as they are at United this season.

However, let's agree to disagree on this one. You rate Maguire, I don't and time will tell who is right.

lex talionis

Harry struggled badly again last night. I’m not looking for excuses but he looks unfit, possibly fatigued from being rushed back before he was fit and never being rested since then. He needs a break, but with the health of our CBs being what it is he’s not getting a break any time soon.

When Varane and Lindelof are fit I’d like to see them get a solid 3-4 run of matches, allowing Maguire to take the break he needs. That’s not going to happen, however, because of his exalted status and he’ll continue to struggle and ship in horror goals as he did last night.

Bottom line is that we’re doing Harry, who’s actually a decent CB, a disservice by pushing him past his limit.

Champ

Pep's recruitment in the defensive department is far from stellar. So Pep wanting him does not mean that he would be a success there and I think he would be benched at City sooner than later.

Maguire's good to great performances in English national team are not surprising as the current defensive setup of English NT suits him. If Southgate decides to play more expansive and attacking football then Maguire's weaknesses will be exposed just as they are at United this season.

However, let's agree to disagree on this one. You rate Maguire, I don't and time will tell who is right.
Here's the thing, i never said I rated him.

Just the fact that I believe people on here are deluded to the point of thinking he's a poor player (he's not) means that of someone highlights this obvious fact out, they immediately rate him.

It's one camp or the other, when really football isn't like that, he can be a good player (he is) without being the best (he isn't the best).

Guapa

Thinke he'd regain his form anywhere else.Just looks like a classic case of not being able to handle the spot light of Manchester United.