Maguire needs to be replaced

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Lindelof hasn't looked anywhere close to being a CB suitable for a side hoping to challenge for the league title, Bailly even less so.

For me, they can all go bar Varane.
Firstly Lindelof has been better than Varane this season. Not that I think he is better, I would take a new CB.

By agenda though my point was Maguires poor play was blamed initially on Lindelof, who actually is a better CB than Maguire

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
In what aspect is Lindelof worse than Maguire (apart from general fitness)? Genuinely asking. Usually, people say it’s mainly heading but Maguire’s heading is not that great as well (in defence, he either misses headers or fires them hopelessly into the opposition, in attack he does not create any threat).

I would like to see Varane and Lindelof being given a run of games and then we can truly say whether or not Lindelof is better or worse.

We won’t be able to play a high line with Maguire. No chance.
Lindelof is weak in the challenge, weak in the air, lacks pace and is appalling on the ball. His only redeeming quality is how well he reads the game. Not at all suited to English football.

Bailly on the other hand has all the attributes to be a huge success in this country, but his lack of a fully functioning brain holds him back. I've never seen a more unreliable player in a United shirt. Such a waste as he is infinitely more talented than both Maguire and Lindelof.

SAFMUTD

Ole's "inheritance", while he's not and will never be a 80M player he's not as bad as his current form suggest.

Because his current form is not even PL level. He's been nothing short of awful since he was rushed back from injury.

OldSchoolManc

Any defender worth their salt would play to their strengths.
With Maguire, he should pass it to a better player (anyone bar AWB) immediately, find a decent position to make a defensive header or put his hand up to be substituted.
Can’t even work out when he’s played someone onside.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Firstly Lindelof has been better than Varane this season. Not that I think he is better, I would take a new CB.

By agenda though my point was Maguires poor play was blamed initially on Lindelof, who actually is a better CB than Maguire
In your opinion mate, one that I disagree with.

Varane looked head and shoulders above them all before his injury. He was shaky last week, sure, but that can only be a fitness issue. His class is undoubted.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's had a terrible season so far, but he's much better (normally). However, his limitations aren't going to go away and he's not a great fit for a progressive side. I'd definitely have him as an option, but he shouldn't be a guaranteed starter if we're aiming to play progressive football with a high line and safety in recovery pace.

Biggins

Lindelof is weak in the challenge, weak in the air, lacks pace and is appalling on the ball. His only redeeming quality is how well he reads the game. Not at all suited to English football.

Bailly on the other hand has all the attributes to be a huge success in this country, but his lack of a fully functioning brain holds him back. I've never seen a more unreliable player in a United shirt. Such a waste as he is infinitely more talented than both Maguire and Lindelof.
Fully agree on Bailly and maybe some of the mistakes that he makes could be phased out if he was at least fit to play more than 20 games per season.

Re Lindelof, same points could be made about Maguire and this season Maguire is worse in each aspect that you mentioned. Lindelof deserves to get a run of games with Varane as this partnership has potential to be solid.

In the end, we should be looking for another first-choice CB in the next transfer window or the one following.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Varane looked head and shoulders above them all before his injury. He was shaky last week, sure, but that can only be a fitness issue. His class is undoubted.
He was making sloppy mistakes pre injury and but shiny new toys always get a pass. Same happened with Maguire.

Saying that I rate Varane and he is our best CB. Hasn't shown it yet though.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Agree about everything about Bailly. But for Vic ...come on, you can dislike him as a player but why to make shit up?

1)Lindelof is not slow. Not fast but not slow either.
2) He is very good in one on one situations with attackers. He always position himself good.
3) He is good on the ball

Yes, he is weak in body to body duels and in air.

SER19

Absolutely appalling and compounds it by being even worse off pitch as captain. Started well here but seems to mentally not be able to cope.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Varane has actually had quite a few shaky matches this season and hasn't been consistent at all. Obviously over the course of their careers he's far better, but Lindelof has comfortably been our best central defender so far this season.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
On the plus side, he is allowed to wrestle opponents to the ground in the box.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I agree.
Maguire is the worst captain I have seen in over 50 years supporting United and one of the worst defenders.
80 million down the drain.

Saddy

Either of Burnley's centre halves would be an upgrade on this lad.

The result masks his performance a bloody liability at the back

Atheist

We sold Ronaldo for the same price that we paid for Maguire. Granted inflation is a thing, but it’s got to rank up with one of the worst deals in the history of Premier League.

K Stand Knut

Never really been behind this anti-Maguire idea but feck me, where do I pay my membership for this club now!

Absolutely awful and a massive problem.

Id make him 4th choice currently!!!

DickDastardly

Could anyone post a good compilation video of him on his best days?

I just want to watch if there is a player hidden somewhere and this is just a reeeaaalllyy long bad run of games - or did we got bamboozeld by Leicester.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Thought he was very good last season and really looked to be growing into the team. Was gutted when he was injured at the end and really felt we missed him.

But it’s clear as day he has been very poor this season and he is a problem. Will be interesting to see if Ralf drops him once we have Varane and Lindelof back 100% fit

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Thought he was decent tonight to be fair.
Playing next to Bailly can't be easy!!

simplyared

He hit a new low tonight. On that performance alone he shouldn't be playing for us. Let alone captain! He's on a huge decline and will now lose his England place. No doubt about that!

copen1945

He was one of the best defenders in the league last season. He is having an awful time lately. Rangnick should get him fully ready before sending him out again. The fitness situation with Lindelof and Varane helps neither Maguire nor United. Rangnick's first task has become to sort out the back before improving the frontline.

TheLittleOne

That Highball that Giflord posted was so infuriationg...he had like 5 seconds time no pressure on him whatsoever and he tottaly misjugeded the ball

Varane around town

I've been a defender of Maguire. However when does it get to the point were our Captain needs to come out the team?

It's been a long time since I've seen a player have such a disastrous season. The guys looks absolutely broken, totally devoid of confidence and he could do with being taken out of the firing line.