Maguire needs to be replaced

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It’s hilarious, I said in the match day thread, Varane mistake vs Newcastle and Bailly tonight, and the blame goes to Maguire for both :houllier:
Against Newcastle its Varanes initial mistake yes. His defending was still poor though so he takes some blame for that goal. Today can’t blame him too much for that goal.

In general its never one person to blame for a goal so its not unusual for someone to get blame when someone else also made a mistake. E.g vs Newcastle

Oranges038

This is literally the exact opposite of what anyone who has played football will tell you. The far post is a much more difficult finish than the near post in that scenario. Any defender will tell you he's right to block the near post and any attacker will tell you that 99 times out of 100 the shot Lennon tries there gets saved or goes wide.
Firstly he should be tighter, by getting tighter he immediately cuts off the far post option. Which means Lennon can only take him on to have a go near post which he can block or DDG should have it covered.

M Bison

Supports
York City
It’s not an agenda, his form has been utter shite. Name me a worse performing captain at united, I’ll wait.
he’s in poor form, most would acknowledge that, but the nonesense written about him in this thread and others is ridiculous which is why agenda has been mentioned.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The agenda of him being abysmal all season?
It does feel like there is an agenda against Maguire at times, but at the same time, his performances are consistently under par.

For me, Maguire, Bailly and Lindelof can all go. I think Maguire is by far the better player of the three, but he's been out of form for so long now I don't see him regaining.

We need another CB on Varane's level.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It does feel like there is an agenda against Maguire at times, but at the same time, his performances are consistently under par.

For me, Maguire, Bailly and Lindelof can all go. I think Maguire is by far the better player of the three, but he's been out of form for so long now I don't see him regaining.

The agenda clearly was against Lindelof

daveskimufc

He should not play again. Awful today, awful this season

Varane and sick note bailly should be first choice if they could stay fit

jeff_goldblum

Firstly he should be tighter, by getting tighter he immediately cuts off the far post option. Which means Lennon can only take him on to have a go near post which he can block or DDG should have it covered.
So your suggestion is that a player who is famously slow over the first few yards gets tighter to Aaron Lennon, and you claim this is a good way to prevent a goal?

I'm just going to walk away from this one and pray to God no-one ever lets you coach a youth team.

Flexdegea

Maguire is totally useless.

Seems untouchable so can't see him getting dropped. He is so poor. For a player of his size and statue seems to not do that side of defending well at all, instead of using it to his advantage.

Also never seem a centre back hold his hand up for offsides, when they aren't even close and he is playing them on. It's like he doesn't know the rule or how to play it :lol:

el3mel

People who actually believe Ole has rebuilt a strong team, I hope you guys are happy with the 130m spent on Maguire and AWB.

hobbers

I think it's just the same as with AWB, a slower but steady realisation that he's miles away from good enough for a club with our ambition. And was a dreadful signing who we'll end up making a huge loss on.

At what point does abysmal form become more than just form? I dont think he's put in a single acceptable performance all season, and he had plenty of shockers last season as well.

thedvil

Lindelöf is far superior defender than Maguire, Maguire should be 3rd or 4th choice defender only the fee is keeping him in the team.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How do you say: “you fecking donkey!” In German?

Biggins

In what aspect is Lindelof worse than Maguire (apart from general fitness)? Genuinely asking. Usually, people say it’s mainly heading but Maguire’s heading is not that great as well (in defence, he either misses headers or fires them hopelessly into the opposition, in attack he does not create any threat).

I would like to see Varane and Lindelof being given a run of games and then we can truly say whether or not Lindelof is better or worse.

We won’t be able to play a high line with Maguire. No chance.

Oranges038

So your suggestion is that a player who is famously slow over the first few yards gets tighter to Aaron Lennon, and you claim this is a good way to prevent a goal?

I'm just going to walk away from this one and pray to God no-one ever lets you coach a youth team.
Lennon has no pace left. It's not even about whether he's slow or not, he should be closer to him anyway. A former PL defender even said so at half time. So I'd be agreeing with him over you.

So yeah, I hope no-one ever lets you coach a youth team.

hobbers

In what aspect is Lindelof worse than Maguire (apart from general fitness)? Genuinely asking. Usually, people say it’s mainly heading but Maguire’s heading is not that great as well (in defence, he either misses headers or fires them hopelessly into the opposition, in attack he does not create any threat).

I would like to see Varane and Lindelof being given a run of games and then we can truly say whether or not Lindelof is better or worse.

We won’t be able to play a high line with Maguire. No chance.
In terms of this season, Maguire is worse in all departments, including heading.

Lindelof and Varane has to be our first choice partnership for the rest of the season. Bailly will either be injured or at AFCON.

Delano

We all know his weaknesses, slow, ponderous on the ball, sits deeper then everyone else etc.

But he was beaten in the air comfortably all night. Was a complete liability.

Kaos

We've got Villa soon after the new year right? Wish he'd do something silly like Cantona kick Slippy G in the dug out, so he gets himself a lengthy ban. Seems like he's undroppable otherwise.

United492

Think we should give Varane and Lindelof a run now (when fit). Bailly is away and I think Maguire just needs to be taken out of the firing line for a bit. I don't think he's a bad player at all - don't get me wrong, he's not an 80m player either.
I'd take the on-field captaincy away from him though. Didn't that happen sometime before where the club captain was different to the on-field captain? That's by the by anyway, I think the captaincy is more a burden to him than a role he fully enjoys and that no doubt impacts on his performance. As I say, once fit, give Varane and Lindelof a run. Maguire looked hurt at the end, use that as a cover story to give him some time off the field and get himself together.

Satsuma United

Maguire tonight once proved why he is the captain and our best CB.

Another solid performance, he always looks to start the attacks, won most aerial challenges and he couldnt do anything in the burnley goal, the responsability falls on Bailly.

Chief123

You could actually apply that entire paragraph to Bailly too.
Yes true. Bailly is possibly one of the biggest heart breaking disappointments for me at Utd. I’ve loved him when he joined and been desperate for him to do well because of the attributes he has. Has everything needed to be an amazing defender. But I’ve genuinely given up hope on him showing any level of consistency now. It feels like any game he plays well is a bonus.

Newstyle

I don’t remember him being this bad last season? It looks like his shoes are made of lead. Getting bullied in the air? Why always 2 extra touches? People blame it on form I still don’t get it..