Maguire needs to be replaced

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s the worst United signing ever and the sooner we realise this and bench him the better. He was no better than usual tonight but Varane providing cover meant that we didn’t pay for it. Bench him and sell him ASAP. Newcastle would buy him in January. We should gift wrap him and send him Tyneside.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not so long ago he was one of three best defenders on international tournament... now he's Titus Bramble.

I'll never understand how some mechanics work in the club, but it's time to start squeezing best out of the players, or there's no point in fighting for anything major.

GMoore23

Should have been dropped but as that isn't for happening, we can carry him in this formation.
He's only our 3rd best CB and the shakiest captain I've ever seen.

JB7

Where did I say inside the 6 yard box? Stop twisting what people say to suit your argument. Maguire is absolutely woeful and we'll never win anything with him as our captain and him at CB.
The near post is literally inside the 6 yard box you fecking nut job.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Worst player in history blah blah.

Oh wait no he was good today.

Stig

In the first half he simply didn't know where he was, what he was to do, and the absolute last thing he wanted was the ball.

He was like a golfer with the yips.

He looked terrified.

YouknowNani

The near post is literally inside the 6 yard box you fecking nut job.
Again you've completely taken what I've said out of context. I said low balls into the box (which would be from anywhere and cut out anywhere, not necessarily in the 6 yard box) AND balls at the near post, which again usually come from much further out on the wing and should often be covered by the defender before it get's anywhere near to being the goalkeepers responsibility. Maguires woeful, we aren't going anywhere with him in the team unless we stick to a back 5 so the rest of the defence can carry him.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He’s the worst United signing ever and the sooner we realise this and bench him the better. He was no better than usual tonight but Varane providing cover meant that we didn’t pay for it. Bench him and sell him ASAP. Newcastle would buy him in January. We should gift wrap him and send him Tyneside.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Again you've completely taken what I've said out of context. I said low balls into the box (which would be from anywhere and cut out anywhere, not necessarily in the 6 yard box) AND balls at the near post, which again usually come from much further out on the wing and should often be covered by the defender before it get's anywhere near to being the goalkeepers responsibility. Maguires woeful, we aren't going anywhere with him in the team unless we stick to a back 5 so the rest of the defence can carry him.
You need to be clearer which box you're talking about sir :wenger:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not so long ago he was one of three best defenders on international tournament... now he's Titus Bramble.

I'll never understand how some mechanics work in the club, but it's time to start squeezing best out of the players, or there's no point in fighting for anything major.
No matter how many years I watch football, I can't get over how the odd bad performance leaves people insisting someone is the "worst" ever.
It's like they're wilfully ignoring Maguires many, many quality performances for us.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No matter how many years I watch football, I can't get over how the odd bad performance leaves people insisting someone is the "worst" ever.
It's like they're wilfully ignoring Maguires many, many quality performances for us.
I guess 80 million tag means enough trust in player's quality... these many, many quality performances better come sooner or later, or it's going to be another summer of overspending in hope to find someone consistent for a change.

YouknowNani

It's not the 'odd bad performance' though. He's poor more often than he's good. He's making mistakes consistently. He's NEVER been consistently good for United.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not the 'odd bad performance' though. He's poor more often than he's good. He's making mistakes consistently. He's NEVER been consistently good for United.
He's had months of good performances. You're just down after his bad start to the season. Same happened last year, then funnily enough all the noise, all the threads disappeared when he played well.

goldenballs

Victoria's secret
Anybody that says Maguire is either a good captain, or a good player. Go find yourself a head bump reader and get your head read...

Oranges038

Anybody that says Maguire is either a good captain, or a good player. Go find yourself a head bump reader and get your head read...
All you have to do to get the best out of him is play 4 other defenders and 2 midfielders in front as blockers.

That's not too much to ask to get the best out of the your captain and 80m centre half. And people were worried that the team would be too focused on covering for having Ronaldo up top.

Redfrog

All you have to do to get the best out of him is play 4 other defenders and 2 midfielders in front as blockers.

That's not too much to ask to get the best out of the your captain and 80m centre half. And people were worried that the team would be too focused on covering for having Ronaldo up top.
The funny thing is we have an 80 millions defender pounds who needs 2 other CB to look good, and an 80millions CM who needs 2 other CM to look good.
Too bad we can’t play 13 players…

Flytan

He's had months of good performances. You're just down after his bad start to the season. Same happened last year, then funnily enough all the noise, all the threads disappeared when he played well.
I legitimately think that if he wasn't captain he'd be a better player too, this is based on literally nothing though. He just doesn't strike me as someone who deals with extra responsibility well. I also don't like how he acts after a mistake from either him/a player on the pitch. A captain should be better at "rallying" in the middle of a game.

But yeah, he was rushed back from injury and his bad performance against Leicester shook his confidence. He shouldn't have been playing. He's certainly not worth what we paid for him but he's a good CB depending on scheme.

Oranges038

The funny thing is we have an 80 millions defender pounds who needs 2 other CB to look good, and an 80millions CM who needs 2 other CM to look good.

Could always play 541

2 extra CB to cover Maguire
2 to cover Pogba in Midfield
Ronaldo standing up top on his own

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Made me laugh :lol:

MasterCode

I actually think if you put a forgiving Centre half behind Pogba he will look alright.
People scream about his performances for France and how it's Kante.
The other part is that he has two or 3 CBs behind him who can actually defend one on one. And personally I think Kimbempe is really limited, but he can defend one on one situations and to the players infront of him he is forgiving, (they can take risks with him behind them). Maguire is not a forgiving Centre Half you take a risk with him behind you and it fails, you're screwed.

If Pogba was playing infront of a Dias or someone who was comfortable reading situations and defending athletically. He would be fine, but Pogba critics are over the top as well. He has been a good player for us not always consistent but on average he has been pretty good.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
People saying he was great last season are ignoring lots of hapless defending. I have no faith in him, and always hold my breath a bit when the ball is near him.

Like he's our CB and as fans we should back him and look at the positives when they are there, and it's possible with Varane there Maguire could be a cog in a great defence as he has strengths, but overall he's nowhere near the type of dominant and clever CB top teams have. Maybe unfairly but his price tag is part of the equation, and two that are comparable in my mind are Rio to us and Van Dijk to that other lot. Both literally transformed the team and became a pillar you could build a defence around for years. If that is your yardstick Maguire is not even in the conversation.

red4ever 79

Maguire. First it was, he cant play with Lindelof, he needs a better CB alongside him. Now it is he cant play in a back in a 4, needs another 2 CB's alongside him. Still looked the weakest out of three on Sunday

MasterCode

People saying he was great last season are ignoring lots of hapless defending. I have no faith in him, and always hold my breath a bit when the ball is near him.

Like he's our CB and as fans we should back him and look at the positives when they are there, and it's possible with Varane there Maguire could be a cog in a great defence as he has strengths, but overall he's nowhere near the type of dominant and clever CB top teams have. Maybe unfairly but his price tag is part of the equation, and two that are comparable in my mind are Rio to us and Van Dijk to that other lot. Both literally transformed the team and became a pillar you could build a defence around for years. If that is your yardstick Maguire is not even in the conversation.
Hurts me to say this but I agree with you, he is limited in his athleticism and reading if he just takes a look at how Kompany in the latter of his career coped, with defensive high lines despite losing pace and athleticism etc.

Tbh that was who Pep wanted as Kompany succesor. I like you don't have faith in him, I do however feel he went up a gear midway last season, but he was supposed to build on that and not regress.

Will always support and believe he can improve, however, I don't feel he should be on the left, he should be on the right. AWB has better recovery than Shaw and that could help Harry. Plus on the right he has Scott ahead of him who defeneively imo is better than both Fred and Pogba.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ve genuinely never seen the level blinkered analysis with one of our own players.

He’s had some of the worst CB performances/moments I can genuinely think of a United CB having, & this goes back to ‘Project Restart’ when the dutch lad for Spurs spun him & he was at fault for goals against Bournemouth & Southampton.

I really can not remember Bailly having as bad a set of performances as Maguire has produced for us. It’s like with OgS where admission he’s not done well would be people admitting he was never that good all along.

YouknowNani

Watching the Atlanta game and Varane is constantly picking up the pieces from the space left by this lump over and over again. He's so poor.

lilcurt

He is so poor and slow!

He needs to be dropped Varane should be first choice when fit. Then it should go on form who partners him.

lilcurt

This guy goes home and tells his mum he captains Ronaldo :lol: :lol: :lol:
This really made me chuckle.

We've all had those moments when we know deep down we don't belong. Think it happens to Harry everyday he drives into Carrington.

TrueRed79

Drop him and strip him of the captaincy. Can't believe he's captain of Manchester Utd. What a joke.

Jacob

His recent form as convinced me Lindelöf is our second best CB.

Heardy

He’s got to be one of the poorest performing captains we’ve had in a very long time. Definitely not one to lead by example. So many performances have been peppered with ridiculous errors.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Will be captain and starting for the next 5 years, best get used to it. Appalling player.