Malaysian Under-20 team thrash United Reserves

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
FOUR of Malaysia’s Under-20 players have caught the eye of Manchester United youth manager Brian McClair, and if the latter follows up on his praises, the four will receive trials with the English giants.

The Malaysians surprised United’s Academy team on Wednesday, handing them a 4-1 thrashing at the club’s Carrington training facility, in a match that had McClair heaping praises on K. Rajagopal’s charges.

A perfect record of three wins out of three, with a total of nine goals scored and just one conceded means confidence is oozing in Rajagopal’s team.

The squad ended a 20-day training cum playing stint in Manchester with a perfect record of three wins.

The stint is part of the squad’s preparations for the Asian Youth Championship in India in October.

According to FAM secretary Datuk Seri Dr Ibrahim Saad, McClair stated that he was particularly impressed with twins Aidil Zafuan and Zaquan Adha Abdul Razak, Khairil Muhymeen Zambri and Amar Rohaida and he even said he would consider giving the four a trial.

In fact, Khairil was voted Man-of-the-Match by the coaches in the team’s 3-0 victory over Salford Academy last Wednesday. The squad’s other match, against the Stoke City Academy last Saturday, ended 2-0 in Malaysia’s favour.

Ibrahim also said the fact that United’s youth squad featured five of their first team players, served to add to the positive impact at the conclusion of the squad’s tour.

Stoke City, whose academy side were beaten 2-0 by the under-20 team on Saturday, had also expressed their interest in Aidil and Zaquan.

"I think it should be made clear that the boys weren’t up against just any squad - Manchester United fielded virtually their strongest youth squad, and they were utterly surprised by our boys," said Ibrahim.

The Manchester United squad featured first team players Marcos Neumyr, Sam Hewison, Kieran Lee, Frasier Campbell and James Chester.
In fact, Neumayr and Campbell played for their first team side in the testimonial match for former club captain Roy Keane at Old Trafford on Tuesday.

"McClair wasn’t just impressed, he told us he was embarrassed by the result as well as they’d expected to steamroll us. He was particularly impressed with our speed, technical ability and fitness," added Ibrahim.

Rajagopal, on the other hand, chose to play down the results, sticking to his aim, which is the AFC Asian Youth Championships.

"The purpose is still to get the boys as much exposure as possible and build their confidence against bigger, more physical players. Let’s not get too excited and give the boys unnecessary pressure," said Rajagopal.

"Give them room, let’s have some patience and you’ll see the real results in three or four years.

"Right now, the results are secondary. As I’ve always said the aim is the Asian Youth Championships, and that is still our first objective."

The squad heads for Slovakia for a three-match series tomorrow, where they will face two club sides, before taking on the Slovakian under-20 side on May 18.

London_Red

I exist
Call it knee jerk but i think we should buy the whole Malaysian under 20 team.

ruudvantastic

Instant Karma said:
The Manchester United squad featured first team players Marcos Neumyr, Sam Hewison, Kieran Lee, Frasier Campbell and James Chester.
First team players? Until players went out on loan this season none of the above were getting in the reserve team.

Jalut

Dragon_Merah said:
a malaysian football team actually win overseas...i must be dreaming...:boring:
Nah... most of them will end up crap once became professional

air_mood

Agreed.Just like their seniors.

By the 1st team I guess they mean the 1st team of the Reserve team.But yeah,they did win 4-1 and it was on the front page of the sports section of News Straits Times here in Malaysia when the interest came from Brian McClair.Anyway this is old news.The game was played on 8th May.

redcharlie

Top Bloke
I'm not that surprised. The far eastern kids are naturally athletic and stamina-packed and they are hungry for success.

The best thing that could happen to world football on the field would be for one of the developing nations to win The World Cup. I don't see it happening this time around, but godwilling in the next twenty years.

032Devil

redcharlie said:
I'm not that surprised. The far eastern kids are naturally athletic and stamina-packed and they are hungry for success.

The best thing that could happen to world football on the field would be for one of the developing nations to win The World Cup. I don't see it happening this time around, but godwilling in the next twenty years.
Bit like Greece in Euro 2004?

air_mood

Yeah,but prob is most of us far eastern people are usually shorter and of smaller build than the western people.I reckon we have quite a few players who might turn out to be world class players but due to their small build,can't really cut it in say a physical league like the PL..

kkcbl

air_mood said:
Yeah,but prob is most of us far eastern people are usually shorter and of smaller build than the western people.I reckon we have quite a few players who might turn out to be world class players but due to their small build,can't really cut it in say a physical league like the PL..
I think Maradona, Pele, Scholes, Zola & the likes would cut it in any League in the world..;)

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
ruudvantastic said:
First team players? Until players went out on loan this season none of the above were getting in the reserve team.
Has james Chester played for the Reserves then?:confused:
I haven't seen him.

kkcbl

marcus agrippa said:
all the same, the Malaysian U-20 are clearly better than the lot we now have here....
Which can be frightening if the Malaysian team is no different from the rest of South East Asian youth teams, i.e. amateurs, in every sense of the word!:nervous:

fatboy

kkcbl said:
I think Maradona, Pele, Scholes, Zola & the likes would cut it in any League in the world..;)
These are playmakers who have the benefit of playing around bigger players who will do the "dirty work" in the football sense. For the South East Asian countries, players the size of Scholes would be considered average.

The Japanese or Koreans are considered fairly "big" by Asian standards, and still their average height will be only 5'9 or thereabouts. But teams like South Korea have a work ethic that is second to none, and hopefully they can continue where they left off the last World Cup.

air_mood

kkcbl said:
Yeah,but one has to consider the pedigree of the country where this people comes from.When Chelski,Newcastle and Birmingham came to town a few years back some of our players did attaract their attention,a certain Akmal Rizal Rakhli for instance.He has spent most of the early part of his career training with a club in France if I'm not mistaken.This guy is a good goalscorer,quick and has a build like,well since he is quite famous around here nowadays,I would say Carlos Tevez.Some of the scouts told the Malaysian public that they were gonna try and tout this guy to the English clubs.Buat when he tout the player to the clubs,several doubts arose.Mainly this questions came up from the clubs...

"Can he cut it in the English League??"

"Can he withstand the physical nature of the league??"

Most clubs are not willing to take a gamble on him because of his lack of physical attributes.So it will be interesting to see if something does comes up of this reported interest on our under-20 players...