Man arrested for murder after running over and killing a guy who was stabbing a woman | Faces no charges

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It will definitely count for something.

But the police and CPS have to put him through the courts as he did kill someone, it is the job of the court to understand what he did and act accordingly, in a similar way to the Colston 4 being found not guilty of criminal damage as they can.

It can not be the job of the police to say, that actually this guy is fine and was just trying to help out, otherwise we'd end up with vigilantes all over the shop.
Yeah, I agree with this. What I don’t understand is why he was (allegedly) already charged with murder? Who makes the decision about a charge like that anyway?

Classical Mechanic

It will definitely count for something.

But the police and CPS have to put him through the courts as he did kill someone, it is the job of the court to understand what he did and act accordingly, in a similar way to the Colston 4 being found not guilty of criminal damage as they can.

It can not be the job of the police to say, that actually this guy is fine and was just trying to help out, otherwise we'd end up with vigilantes all over the shop.
In a case of trial by jury I'd expect a consideration of excessive force to be a factor. I remember two cases of householders facing down burglars in their homes at night. One beat the burglar into a coma with a cricket bat, continuing to beat him after he was disabled. The other killed one of a group of 4 burglars with a single stab wound to the heart from a kitchen knife. The former was sent to prison for excessive force whereas the latter had all charges dropped because his actions were deemed to be reasonable in the circumstances.

Do we know the specifics of this case? Did he hit him once and kill him or run him over a few times?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Is this not some kind of proxy or extended self defence? Not sure how this is called, but seems to be the case. Of course the method of self defence must correlate to the severity of the threat, but I suppose this is for a judge to decide.
Self defence in English law is formally called public defence, and you can claim it in defending others against attack or trying to prevent crime, so I would hope the CPS understands it would apply here and the prosecution is discontinued.

Frosty

Yeah, I agree with this. What I don’t understand is why he was (allegedly) already charged with murder? Who makes the decision about a charge like that anyway?
The police charge but the CPS make the ultimate decision on whether to prosecute using a two stage legal test (whether there is enough evidence to prosecute and whether it is in the public interest to prosecute).

Frosty

The basic principles of self-defence are set out in Palmer v R, [1971] AC 814; approved in R v McInnes, 55 Cr App R 551:

"It is both good law and good sense that a man who is attacked may defend himself. It is both good law and good sense that he may do, but only do, what is reasonably necessary."

The common law approach as expressed in Palmer v R is also relevant to the application of section 3 Criminal Law Act 1967:

"A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders or of persons unlawfully at large."

Section 3 applies to the prevention of crime and effecting, or assisting in, the lawful arrest of offenders and suspected offenders. There is an obvious overlap between self-defence and section 3. However, section 3 only applies to crime and not to civil matters. So, for instance, it cannot afford a defence in repelling trespassers by force, unless the trespassers are involved in some form of criminal conduct.

MiceOnMeth

Sounds absolutely horrific doesn't it? I felt sick to my stomach reading about it.

Personally I think the man in the car did the right thing. The knifer was clearly a danger to the public and could have gone onto hurt other people.

While I understand the police can't go thanking Vigilanty justice, he shouldn't be treated as a criminal.
Yeah how was he to know this was between a man and his ex and not some loony on a stabbing spree? Can't exactly confront someone with a knife without risking being stabbed yourself so getting in your can and running him over is definitely something I'd think about doing in the heat of the moment

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Here it would be a justifiable homicide and he’d be free. It wouldn’t get to voluntary manslaughter.

If they’re releasing him on bail while they verify he was not involved in the altercation other than reacting on the scene to protect someone’s life, then that’s reasonable I guess.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This man sat on top of a woman stabbing her while she screamed for help. Other people tried to get him off her and he waved the knife at them threatening them if they came close.

At what point do you stop and let that carry on? you'd just carry on with your day would you?
Yeah of course, id probably help him do it right? feck off.

prateik

This man sat on top of a woman stabbing her while she screamed for help. Other people tried to get him off her and he waved the knife at them threatening them if they came close.

At what point do you stop and let that carry on? you'd just carry on with your day would you?
I havent clicked on the article. don't think I want to risk seeing any images...
but if the man stabbing was on/or close to the woman, how is running a car over them helping the woman?
If the man had moved away, how is running over him helping the woman?

I understand the urge to run someone like that over... but I am not sure how heroic it is.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
If a man in public streets is repeatedly stabbing a woman screaming for help in front of 20/30 people, he's a terrorist as far as I'm concerned.

This guy was a deranged lunatic and you know what? he deserve to die. feck him. Thank god he did what he did.

I can only imagine what her 2 poor children are feeling right now.
You're trying to apply morality to law.

Duafc

Village Lemon
https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/self-defence-and-prevention-crime

Slightly centred around homeowners but this is the relevant cps guidance.

the two balance points between civic conscience and vigilantism are key and particular to the full facts of any instance.

second key point is the CPS have likely agreed the charge which likely means within the evidence there is something that they feel significantly rebutts the reasonableness/self defence argument and then they still think the public interest test is met.

On the face of the facts we have that is surprising to me but as always they will know everything, while we know little to nothing.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think the cafs trying too hard to be liberal.

Carrying a knife and threaten to kill isnt a cause for vigilantw justice but he's actually activelt stabbing the woman and once he made that move anyone could be justified for taking the perp down.

Moby

Dick
I think the cafs trying too hard to be liberal.

Carrying a knife and threaten to kill isnt a cause for vigilantw justice but he's actually activelt stabbing the woman and once he made that move anyone could be justified for taking the perp down.
Isn't that exactly what people are saying here?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Crazy story. The driver’s version of events has yer man threatening pedestrians who tried to intervene with his knife. If witnesses support that version of events then surely he shouldn’t be charged at all?
Agreed. Even if just trying to protect the woman you would hope he doesn't get more than a slap on the wrist.

Maticmaker

So much for the story of the 'Good Samaritan', perhaps for the driver it would have been better to have walked by on the other side of the street?
If it turns out the car is to be treated as a 'murder weapon', then what about all the dangerous driving hit and run deaths caused every year?

Smores

He'll get let off if the detail of his actions were reasonable but it obviously needs proper process to come to that conclusion.

If for instance she was already dead and he'd stepped away before he ran him over then that's very different.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
His reaction should have been proportional to the action - which was proportionate, in my opinion. If one is trying to kill someone (stabbing) with a deadly weapon, then using appropriate means, should absolutely be allowed.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Manslaughter at most.

Issue will be don't want vigilantes, people taking the law in to their own hands, easy to misjudge exactly what a situation is before you go run someone over or generally use potentially deadly force like that.

Terry Chango

It is murder - he could have done many other things to try and help that didn't involve potentially killing somebody. Although you can understand perhaps why he did it and it was from wanting to help another person that doesn't excuse what he did imo. I may be in the minority here I don't know.
So a few posters have pulled you up on the bolded part. What exactly are the many other options he could have chose from out of interest ?

The driver is a hero....If by any chance he's a member on Red Cafe and is still a newbie he should be promoted.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So a few posters have pulled you up on the bolded part. What exactly are the many other options he could have chose from out of interest ?

The driver is a hero....If by any chance he's a member on Red Cafe and is still a newbie he should be promoted.
Phone the police, phone for an ambulance, shout at him, throw something at him, give cpr to the woman when the guy goes away. None of them may have saved the lady's life unfortunately but in reality probably nothing would have under the circumstances. It's a horrendous situation but I'd say that getting into a car and deliberately running someone over is still a choice somebody makes that could potentially kill somebody.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The police is trained for situations like these, and I do'nt think they would be allowed to shot the stabbing guy at all if he didn't try to attack them, but not sure.
The police are allowed to use lethal force to protect other people, not just themselves.

Also, how hard do you have to drive over a guy to kill him? Couldn't he have cautiously but steadily approached him? He would have had to back off anyway if he saw the car coming closer at a low speed, but not sure that would have been a feasible solution in the case at hand.
I don't think people should have to put themselves at unnecessary risk to try and minimize the harm to a violent attacker. At the level where someone is literally in the act of trying to murder someone, their personal rights should go out the window.

Abraxas

Phone the police, phone for an ambulance, shout at him, throw something at him, give cpr to the woman when the guy goes away. None of them may have saved the lady's life unfortunately but in reality probably nothing would have under the circumstances. It's a horrendous situation but I'd say that getting into a car and deliberately running someone over is still a choice somebody makes that could potentially kill somebody.
They seem a fairly useless set of suggestions.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
They seem a fairly useless set of suggestions.
They may well be but what else do you expect somebody to do in those circumstances? I'm not saying the person could have saved the lady's life - in all likelihood he wouldn't have been able to.

Carolina Red

Staff
Here this would fall under the “alter ego / defense of others” rule of self defense law.

A person has the right to use deadly force in defense of another person if the person being attacked would be justified in using deadly force to defend themselves against an attacker.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Ah yes a very effective method of dealing with a knife wielding maniac :houllier:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ah yes a very effective method of dealing with a knife wielding maniac :houllier:
I'd say trying to distract him or scare him off in some way would be a pretty valid approach under the circumstances. Not saying it would work.

Abraxas

They may well be but what else do you expect somebody to do in those circumstances? I'm not saying the person could have saved the lady's life - in all likelihood he wouldn't have been able to.
Well, something with the immediacy that is required to bring the situation to a halt.

Your suggestions seem more aligned to somebody in a little skirmish on the floor. A bit soft quite frankly. I don't think being proportional is always about finding a palatable outcome for every party. It is about assessing a situation and ultimately I suppose that is what they'll deliberate on.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well, something with the immediacy that is required to bring the situation to a halt.

Your suggestions seem more aligned to somebody in a little skirmish on the floor. A bit soft quite frankly. I don't think being proportional is always about finding a palatable outcome for every party. It is about assessing a situation and ultimately I suppose that is what they'll deliberate on.
At least I'm trying to offer an alternative response to one that involves killing somebody. They may be crap responses but I'm not hearing anybody else try and come up with any. Does this mean I'm the only person who could conceive of any response to this situation that wouldn't involve killing somebody? Maybe I am I don't know.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You're basically saying do nothing and leave the woman to die. This is a man intent on stabbing a woman until she's presumed dead; being a bystander phoning for police, even with the best response times, is consigning her to death.

Throwing anything with enough force to dissuade someone in a psychotic frenzy would need to be done so with a hard and heavy object with enough gusto it could potentially kill them, and at close range.

Your suggestions probably sound reasonable to you, but you're removing any slither of hope for her with them. This person was trying to save her life in real time; none of what you've suggested would be sufficient.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If it's an instictive desperate act to try and save a woman from being murdered that's obviously a morally good act and the law should ultimately reflect that. In that regard I'm reminded of the recent murder of a young woman in Ireland, which prompted a discussion about the need to do more to protect women from violence. With that in mind we presumably want to put forward the idea that intervening to save a woman who is being attacked is generally the right thing to do don't we? Better that than meekly calling the police and doing nothing else while a woman continues to be attacked.

That said, there's obviously a limit beyond which an intervention turns deliberately malicious. If you needlessly kill someone in a way that could have been avoided even in your efforts to save the person being attacked then there should be some consequences. It really depends on the details.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'd say trying to distract him or scare him off in some way would be a pretty valid approach under the circumstances. Not saying it would work.
There's a life at stake here. You're thinking someone who is trying their best to kill someone else is going to cease and desist because you've shouted at them.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There's a life at stake here. You're thinking someone who is trying their best to kill someone else is going to cease and desist because you've shouted at them.
Some might yeah - you might startle them and scare them off. I mean it's possible isn't it? We are getting into hypotheticals here which is basically pointless.

Carolina Red

Staff
Some might yeah - you might startle them and scare them off. I mean it's possible isn't it? We are getting into hypotheticals here which is basically pointless.
He was stabbing a woman to death in the middle of a street with people around. I think he was past the point of caring about shouts

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Treating this as a "regular" murder seems very harsh. Still, surely taking things in your own hands with fatal consequences is illegal in England?

Still, these situations are always an ethical dilemma. The man had good intentions by all account, so treating him as a murderer feel very unjust.