Man City statues

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
City have unveiled some of their new legends statues, here's the Kompany one. Think it could have done with being a bit bigger myself.

It's like something out of Clash of the Titans.

But to be fair I've seen much worse recently.
Looks nothing like him and like it's been made as a school project from tin foil and glittery bits of paper.

As another poster said "wah wah, we want statues too!!" Such a small club

(Edit. We know they're small minded and I rarely get involved but FECK ME, the more you look at that, the more laughable it becomes... who the player is (good CH t b f ), who it looks like (not Kompany), how it looks (tac-tastic),the mentality of whoever asked for this/OKed it. "Let's all laugh at City" has rarely been more appropriate. Embarrassing wannabees)

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Generally though, they look cheap/naff.

Like some promotional gimmick from their main sponsor.

Mike Smalling

City have unveiled some of their new legends statues, here's the Kompany one. Think it could have done with being a bit bigger myself.

Looks like an evil version of Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
They’re shit. Everything about that club is shit. From bottom to top just shit. As the saying goes- you can’t polish a turd.

Siorac

Looks a bit shit to be honest.

If they had signed Ronaldo they might have been able to borrow this:

I don't think there will ever be a day when I don't laugh hysterically at that thing.

The City statues aren't that bad in comparison: sure, they don't even remotely look like Kompany and Silva but at least they look human.

The Firestarter

Looks like Dr Manhattan from Watchmen.

OverratedOpinion

The only statue they should really have is one of the birth certificate of their owner who fluked being born into a family in a country that had a lot of natural oil reserves.

Perfect encapsulation of them fluking being brought by said owner.

TheReligion

Abusive
What statues do they already have? @Gentleman Jim @padr81

Surely be better to have some of older legends like Summerbee, Bell etc and educate the influx of new fans about your history.

Out of the moneybags era I'd say Aguero, Silva and Kompany are the best bets.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What statues do they already have? @Gentleman Jim @padr81

Surely be better to have some of older legends like Summerbee, Bell etc and educate the influx of new fans about your history.

Out of the moneybags era I'd say Aguero, Silva and Kompany are the best bets.
It was supposed to be Silva, Kompany and Kun but I think Aguero said he didn't want one because he wasn't retired or something which made sense. Building a statue to a player who's currently at the club was kind of weird... Honestly I think these statues are weirdly timed. This is the kind of thing you give people long after they've retired not while they're still active . Personally I don't like Summerbee always struck me as a bit of a dick. I'd have no issue with Bell getting one and imho he should have been first and only for now at least.
Found the Aguero quote.
"The club, when they told me, I told them I don't want nothing. Honestly, I prefer to wait until the end because I said three or four years ago, I'll let them decide inside. I'll play until the end, it's my job,"
Imagine going to work and looking at a giant statue of yourself that looks nothing like you every day.

It looks kinda silly and gives ammo to the people spouting the "You're only relevant since 2009" nonsense when the club pull some of these silly PR things. Not as bad as the "If you're happy and you know it" thing or naming a training pitch after Joe Hart but very cringey imho. It seems like some at the club are quite embarrassed by our history to be honest.

If I'm ever back in Manchester and bring my kid when we get to the David Silva one I'll be like "Thats Colin Bell son" cause frankly it looks more like Bell anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
It was supposed to be Silva, Kompany and Kun but I think Aguero said he didn't want one because he wasn't retired or something which made sense. Building a statue to a player who's currently at the club was kind of weird... Honestly I think these statues are weirdly timed. This is the kind of thing you give people long after they've retired not while they're still active . Personally I don't like Summerbee always struck me as a bit of a dick. I'd have no issue with Bell getting one and imho he should have been first and only for now at least.
Found the Aguero quote.
"The club, when they told me, I told them I don't want nothing. Honestly, I prefer to wait until the end because I said three or four years ago, I'll let them decide inside. I'll play until the end, it's my job,"
Imagine going to work and looking at a giant statue of yourself that looks nothing like you every day.

It looks kinda silly and gives ammo to the people spouting the "You're only relevant since 2009" nonsense when the club pull some of these silly PR things. Not as bad as the "If you're happy and you know it" thing or naming a training pitch after Joe Hart but very cringey imho. It seems like some at the club are quite embarrassed by our history to be honest. That said if ever I'm back in Manchester and bring my kid when we get to the David Silva one I'll be like "Thats Colin Bell son" cause frankly it looks more like Bell anyway.
Interesting take and yeah I understand where you're coming from.

I would have thought that owners would want to really emphasise the history you have and play it that way but it seems they do things which totally ignore it instead and appears determined to focus on writing their own.

Statues of the likes of Bell would go a long way to make you appear less tacky (sorry) and more in touch with your roots. Bit like the Grealish unveiling which was totally over the top, awkward and unnecessary.

The issue is, and joking aside, you do have a history so why not embrace it and as I said educate the newer fans about it. It just seems they always try too hard all the time.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Interesting take and yeah I understand where you're coming from.

I would have thought that owners would want to really emphasise the history you have and play it that way but it seems they do things which totally ignore it instead and appears determined to focus on writing their own.

Statues of the likes of Bell would go a long way to make you appear less tacky (sorry) and more in touch with your roots. Bit like the Grealish unveiling which was totally over the top, awkward and unnecessary.

The issue is, and joking aside, you do have a history so why not embrace it and as I said educate the newer fans about it. It just seems they always try too hard all the time.
Exactly.. obviously I don't wanna shit on a good thing but it seems like they are determined for it to be all about modern Manchester City, we might not have had 20 titles pre Shiekh but we were in Englands top 7 or 8 most successful clubs (and even if we weren't) the players might not have been as good but they are still part of what made current Man City. No Nickey Weaver or Paul Dickov means no takeover and no current City (not that they deserve statues but you get my point), it feels like all other eras of the club are being swept aside. We might have been shit and in League 1 but we were still the same club. At time it feels like the club are trying to hard to pass us off as this super club that we aren't, at least not yet.

They need to relax and realise you don't become a Liverpool, United, Barca, Real or Bayern (massive cnuts and all as the latter are) just by winning on the pitch, these things have to happen slow and steady over a long period of time and might never happen. It still hasn't happened for Chelsea for example and you don't see them knocking out statues to John Terry before Peter Osgood.

fREDhead

Well, at least they are empty on the inside, just like the Etihad.

Giggs' right foot

Found the Aguero quote.

It looks kinda silly and gives ammo to the people spouting the "You're only relevant since 2009" nonsense when the club pull some of these silly PR things. Not as bad as the "If you're happy and you know it" thing or naming a training pitch after Joe Hart but very cringey imho. It seems like some at the club are quite embarrassed by our history to be honest.

If I'm ever back in Manchester and bring my kid when we get to the David Silva one I'll be like "Thats Colin Bell son" cause frankly it looks more like Bell anyway.
No fecking way is your training pitch named after Joe Hart?!