Man City statues

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
City have unveiled some of their new legends statues, here's the Kompany one. Think it could have done with being a bit bigger myself.

It's like something out of Clash of the Titans.

But to be fair I've seen much worse recently.
Thomas Gravesen, the well known City legend.

big_jeffstar

I find them to be such a weird club, they’re like an impersonation of a club that has history and success.. they essentially bought titles after winning the lottery and throwing unlimited funds at the team until it worked… congratulations..
and now they have weird statues featuring the mercenaries of old… all that’s missing is a fountain that constantly spews out oil at the front gate
And all this, while the ground is half empty for every game.. it’s weird

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They are a weird club. It feels like the original Manchester City dissolved in 2007 when Shinawatra (sic) took over & then this new club was founded by the Sheikh in 2008. My uncle is a City supporter & barely even follows football anymore. He was a season ticket holder for about 30 years, and says he feels a disconnect from the club now.

Everything they do just feels follow to me to be honest.

Chabon

They are a weird club. It feels like the original Manchester City dissolved in 2007 when Shinawatra (sic) took over & then this new club was founded by the Sheikh in 2008.
I was watching highlights of us beating them 3-1 in 2006 a little while ago and realised that it was essentially the last real Manchester derby. They even had Nicky Weaver in net and Paul Dickov on the bench.

Tyrion

I was sure that this was a Colin Bell statue while I was scrolling down. Dalglish is a decent shout as well. Looks nothing like Silva.

If they were smart, they'd make statutes of older City players and managers but that would mean acknowledging they existed pre-UAE.

clarkydaz

City have unveiled some of their new legends statues, here's the Kompany one. Think it could have done with being a bit bigger myself.

What if that thing falls over?

Oranges038

Kompany looks like Hellraiser and Silva looks like Dalglish.

Who the hell signs off on these things?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
They are a weird club. It feels like the original Manchester City dissolved in 2007 when Shinawatra (sic) took over & then this new club was founded by the Sheikh in 2008. My uncle is a City supporter & barely even follows football anymore. He was a season ticket holder for about 30 years, and says he feels a disconnect from the club now.

Everything they do just feels follow to me to be honest.
100% this.

It feels like they literally have zero history now.
The club feels like it wants to eradicate the struggles of old and make everyone believe that the club started in 2008/9.

This is similar to United putting up a statue of Rooney today.

Real Name

Konpany one looks terrible. Ronald's one in Madeira looks like art compared to this. Somebody actually thought it looks good and aprroved it.

And it's a bit funny they're having statues of players who have played for them until recently. Don't they have any legendary players from the past?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Statues of good players is weird. Statues should be reserved for only the very greatest players. The class of 92 will never get statues, nor will Roy Keane, Rio or Schmeichel I would imagine otherwise you’d have statues all over the place. Just a weird little club trying to be massive. Everything about them these days is really cringy

Infra-red

Money can't buy good taste. These are absolutely awful.

Also, why have they designed the Kompany statue to look like Christ on the cross.

meamth

No matter what they have achieved, it's hollow.

All because of the shortcuts they took. Oil moneyyy

tentan

Poor man's poster.
God what were they thinking? Can't they just use normal statue materials to build them? So strange.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
What if that thing falls over?
Is this like the question of a tree falling over and no one's around to hear it? Come to think of it, given the lack of City fans, this statue could replace the falling tree in the philosophical exercise. "If the Kompany statue falls over when no one's around (and there won't be anyone around), would it make a sound?"

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Konpany one looks terrible. Ronald's one in Madeira looks like art compared to this. Somebody actually thought it looks good and aprroved it.

And it's a bit funny they're having statues of players who have played for them until recently. Don't they have any legendary players from the past?
Bert Trautmann, Joe Corrigan, Frank Swift (died at Munich), Franny Lee, Colin Bell (“Nijinsky”). rest all modern.

Three long serving goalies, an annoying dwarf (but talented mind) and a silky skilled genius.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
The thing to do with these things is to go as classic and unimaginative as possible. There's plenty of space in galleries for anything more modernist (or post-modernist or whatever came next).

Mercurial

Could be the angle but it looked more like Rooney tbh :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It must be a nightmare to clean them up, with dirt coming in through holes.

Nero

If we handed out statues like City do, the perimeter of Old Trafford would be full.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
The same bloke made this more traditional one of John Greig for Rangers.

His other work looks fecking lovely when it's huge and well lit.

SER19

Genuinely embarrassing to have statues of these guys. Imagine us putting up one of rio. Kompany could hardly hit 30 games a season. Silva was arguably never even Citys best midfielder. City shamelessly trying to manufacture history again.

Robertd0803

What exactly is Kompany doing in his abomination? Is that some celebration he did or was the guy who designed it just a fan of how Iron Man looks when he takes off?

At least the Silva thing looks like its playing football.

redrobed

I swear I read somewhere that there are statues outside of Old Trafford. So they’re basically just trying to become us in every way? Incredibly small time.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Genuinely embarrassing to have statues of these guys. Imagine us putting up one of rio. Kompany could hardly hit 30 games a season. Silva was arguably never even Citys best midfielder. City shamelessly trying to manufacture history again.
Sorry, you’re being serious?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
From the club that brought you;

- If you’re happy and you know it
- Stars on their crest without winning anything
- Naming a training ground after your 4th best goalkeeper
- Moonchester and Moonbeam
- The best own goal of all tine
- Removing 1500 seats to shoehorn in more advertising hoardings

… comes “Terrible statues of players that managed to play a decade for us”

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
From the club that brought you;

- If you’re happy and you know it
- Stars on their crest without winning anything
- Naming a training ground after your 4th best goalkeeper
- Moonchester and Moonbeam
- The best own goal of all tine
- Removing 1500 seats to shoehorn in more advertising hoardings

… comes “Terrible statues of players that managed to play a decade for us”
You’ve got Curly Watts as a celebrity fan
YouVe got the widest pitchn the land!
You’ve got the tallest floodlights
They empty Stockport when they play at home
They take 60,000 to every away
They once had a derby with Maccalsfield
They signed Spencer Prior on deadline day
City are a massive club

Pickle85

You’ve got Curly Watts as a celebrity fan
YouVe got the widest pitchn the land!
You’ve got the tallest floodlights
They empty Stockport when they play at home
They take 60,000 to every away
They once had a derby with Maccalsfield
They signed Spencer Prior on deadline day
City are a massive club
After the first two lines I thought this might be a poem.

spiriticon

They look terrible.

It a good thing we don't put statues up of players who won only a handful of titles otherwise the grounds around Old Trafford would be cluttered with bronze.