Man City to join Liverpool in refusing to release players for World Cup qualifiers

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The club pay their wages, they have every right to refuse to release players with covid restrictions in mind. Players may react badly to it but I doubt they will.

TommyGunn

Supports
Liverpool
They have every right to do it. And it's for a good reason too. Brasil is on the red list, so players from both clubs would have to quarantine upon arrival back into the UK

Oranges038

They should've set aside a blocks to play these in November and March.

The next best thing is to move the WC to the Summer of 2023 and to a country that has all the facilities already in place and won't have weather that could fry a cat in the street.

I always though the international break at the start of the season was the biggest load of bollocks. Yeah, footballs back but next week you going to be watching somebody batter San Marino. Great.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
It is about time, and should be the case for friendlies as well.

The international games need to be played between seasons, not during the season.

The Firestarter

They should refuse to release players for the actual WC too. Feck those air conditioned pricks.

R'hllor

Why cant they have this shit at the end of each season, let the club season goes without interupting, it will end way earlier and then you let players join national teams for few weeks of qualifying games.

Barnslig

Why cant they have this shit at the end of each season, let the club season goes without interupting, it will end way earlier and then you let players join national teams for few weeks of qualifying games.
Agreed. Hope we follow City and Liverpool here and tell the NTs to feck off.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
To play three qualifying matches is the next ridiculous topic.

I would normally agree but looking at the list of players, the Dippers would be in a bit of trouble with those players in quarantine, so I say throw the book at them.

Tyrion

Good, feck this World Cup as a whole.
Normally, I'd hate clubs pulling this sort of powerplay but given how awful this world cup is, I'm fine with anything that disrupts it. A full on boycott would be great too imo.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I hope all clubs follow this if players are going to be missing 2-3 games after each international break. That’s just ridiculous. It’s affects not only the top teams but also mid table teams. Not to mention it royally fecks my fantasy team.

Wilt

Just getting in on this “feck the World Cup“ vibe.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Still don't understand why they didn't do qualifiers over the summer instead of a pointless Copa América.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Still don't understand why they didn't do qualifiers over the summer instead of a pointless Copa América.
That really is unfair on the South American countries. I doubt the likes of Cavani, Fred etc see Copa America as pointless. It maybe the pinnacle of some players international career.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
International break so early into the season is rubbish as is clogging the season up with extra games considering the crazy schedule over the last 12 months.

PL should just have a winter break for clubs where international games happen. Or have these games 10/12 games into the season.

Dante

Average bang
I think it's harsh to prevent Fred from living his dream. The national team is important to him, and United shouldn't stand in his way. But I agree on stopping the rest of the squad from leaving.

red_de_pologne

I think it's harsh to prevent Fred from living his dream. The national team is important to him, and United shouldn't stand in his way. But I agree on stopping the rest of the squad from leaving.
And likewise he is very important to the Brazilian NT, I think he should be allowed to go. Cavani though - must absolutely stay.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Else there is no chance in hell that the likes of Fred would ever look good in playing football or the likes of Messi would ever win anything at national level

saivet

They actually had some qualifying fixtures before Copa America. Believe an international break was canned during last season because of Covid as well which resulted in them playing them immediately before Copa Anerica.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's funny how this forum is always 'Feck the World Cup' during the season but when England wins one game it all turns to 'It's coming home!'.

National teams have to manage their team during these times as well. This is all the more reason that all players should be vaccinated, so that they can avoid quarantine restrictions.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's funny how this forum is always 'Feck the World Cup' during the season but when England wins one game it all turns to 'It's coming home!'.

National teams have to manage their team during these times as well. This is all the more reason that all players should be vaccinated, so that they can avoid quarantine restrictions.
Can't be bothered to look it up but my guess is that they'd have to quarantaine once back in the UK if they've been to e.g. Brasil, regardless of vaccination status. It's not because you're vaccinated that you can avoid a quarantaine period after travelling to high risk areas.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Can't be bothered to look it up but my guess is that they'd have to quarantaine once back in the UK if they've been to e.g. Brasil, regardless of vaccination status. It's not because you're vaccinated that you can avoid a quarantaine period after travelling to high risk areas.
I'm not sure why there are these restrictions, in Germany the only restrictions are for variant countries, which Brazil was removed from.

Even then, clubs have to manage losing players for Olympics, AFCON in the past. No reason why they shouldn't now as well. National teams also play in competitions and there need to manage their team with friendlies.

Spaghetti

Mom's

Do you know how many thousands of people are on this forum?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure why there are these restrictions, in Germany the only restrictions are for variant countries, which Brazil was removed from.

Even then, clubs have to manage losing players for Olympics, AFCON in the past. No reason why they shouldn't now as well. National teams also play in competitions and there need to manage their team with friendlies.
They do, but I think most people think it's poorly organized right now. Having a first international break after 3 league games has always been ridiculous imo.

And yes clubs have to deal with losing players for international obligations. But if you add on a 2 or 3 week extra absence because of quarantaining, it's a different story for me. Those restrictions still being in place shows to me that it's a bad idea to let them travel internationally right now and mix with lots of other players of lots of other clubs. Let's focus on the national leagues for now. I'm happy that we decided to keep Salah in Liverpool.