Man City's inevitable Treble

Fts 74

Gotta hand it to them not only have they bought everything they've won they've also convinced everyone in the media that they've done it by being plucky underdogs.Its unbelievable really.

Zen86

Gotta hand it to them not only have they bought everything they've won they've also convinced everyone in the media that they've done it by being plucky underdogs.Its unbelievable really.
It’s bizarre how every historically successful club is seen as the football aristocracy and City are the working class success story.

Sylar

11 wins in a row at almost relative ease. Annoying because they really do have two lineups which allows them to do that

Siorac

I don’t know why the whole “City have crazy depth” idea is so contentious.

Laporte, Cancelo (so not needed he was loaned out), Walker, Philips, Mahrez, Foden, Alvarez are not starters for them! It’s ridiculous.

The only reason they have a squad like this and can cover injuries and drops in form so easily is because they have broken financial rules to build and maintain the squad in a myriad of different ways.

It’s baffling that posters jump to defend it. I get it, everyone wants to believe that the league is worth watching and competitive, but if they are not convicted of those charges, it will be the beginning of the end for the PL. It is that serious. The playing field has never been so weighted in one team’s favor.

(Obs. Save the net spend/wage figures, we all know they are bollocks)
Look, no one thinks they don't have a great squad and good strength in depth. They do.

It's just... the notion that it's somehow unreal and impossible. We have the world's most expensive defender on our bench. When Rashford and Martial are both fit, we have 70m signing Jadon Sancho among the subs. Wan Bissaka and Fred cost 100m between them and neither is a guaranteed starter.

We could have a squad nearly as good as City's if our recruitment had been as efficient as theirs. But it isn't, not even close. Yeah, they broke the rules that were meant to keep us safe from them but that's not why we are shite. We could and should be competitive.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Look, no one thinks they don't have a great squad and good strength in depth. They do.

It's just... the notion that it's somehow unreal and impossible. We have the world's most expensive defender on our bench. When Rashford and Martial are both fit, we have 70m signing Jadon Sancho among the subs. Wan Bissaka and Fred cost 100m between them and neither is a guaranteed starter.

We could have a squad nearly as good as City's if our recruitment had been as efficient as theirs. But it isn't, not even close. Yeah, they broke the rules that were meant to keep us safe from them but that's not why we are shite. We could and should be competitive.
There is a lot more to it than that. It’s not as easy as just reported transfer fees and wages. Money can do a lot of things, especially if it isn’t recorded.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Means absolutely feck all. I don’t think they’ll be stripped of titles or anything ridiculous but these FFP accusations are going nowhere. Everyone can see it’s a ridiculous project that leaves you cold.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
If you can’t see how paying players off the books is a massive, league-breaking advantage, no one can help you lads. But keep up the good fight for City, you are doing a great job normalizing it all!

Reactions: Fortitude

Yakuza_devils

Buddy, City is actually spending much more than us with dodgy payment and creative accounting. City was actually caught with "off the record" payment for Mancini, if my memory serves me right. There are lots of dodgy payments not discovered.

Their owner has no qualm to throw in a few billions to improve the club while our owner took more than 1 billion out of our club. Our owner only allow us to sign Weghorst and Sabizter which don't even qualify to sit on City bench.

There is no comparison between City and us if everything was by the book.

Cezine

Supports
Real Madrid
Camavinga is injured and will miss City's game.

There's not way they lose this one now.
And you refer yourself as a Madridista, really?
A real Madridista knows we don't depend on a player to win, not even when we had CR7. Last year with Mendy on the XI we won Liga and Champions, and now we have Nacho, Mendy and Alaba that can play as a LB, and we are lost cause Cavaminga, a CM can't start as a LB. Porfavor... :houllier:

BTW, Cavaminga hasn't been discarded for the game.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
If you can’t see how paying players off the books is a massive, league-breaking advantage, no one can help you lads. But keep up the good fight for City, you are doing a great job normalizing it all!
Always found it weird how literally nobody ever tries to sign there top players for years, i cant actually think of a city first team player being courted by a real, barca or bayern since the take over

K Stand Knut

Always found it weird how literally nobody ever tries to sign there top players for years, i cant actually think of a city first team player being courted by a real, barca or bayern since the take over
This would almost be a very valid point if it wasn’t for the fact that one of their players moved to Bayern literally as few months ago.

The ‘double pay’ they get though is ridiculous and I feel I’d probably only the top of the iceberg

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
This would almost be a very valid point if it wasn’t for the fact that one of their players moved to Bayern literally as few months ago.

The ‘double pay’ they get though is ridiculous and I feel I’d probably only the top of the iceberg
Guardiola didn't want Cancelo anymore.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don’t know why the whole “City have crazy depth” idea is so contentious.

Laporte, Cancelo (so not needed he was loaned out), Walker, Philips, Mahrez, Foden, Alvarez are not starters for them! It’s ridiculous.

The only reason they have a squad like this and can cover injuries and drops in form so easily is because they have broken financial rules to build and maintain the squad in a myriad of different ways.

It’s baffling that posters jump to defend it. I get it, everyone wants to believe that the league is worth watching and competitive, but if they are not convicted of those charges, it will be the beginning of the end for the PL. It is that serious. The playing field has never been so weighted in one team’s favor.

(Obs. Save the net spend/wage figures, we all know they are bollocks)
I think we are simply not in the best position to be so outspoken in criticising them buying success with all their money, as we ourself have been so mismanaged that we have literally throw away a billion over the past decade and has nothing much to show for.

Paolo Di Canio

Thats a loan

Josh 76

Adding this to the domestic treble, then being in a position to win 4 in a row next season, City and Pep will be the greatest of them all unfortunately.

Paolo Di Canio

Bernando Silva, Gundogan
Nothing really there though just a bit of paper talk

How is it during their whole tenure no other big club made a public interest for Aguero, Silva, Kompany, De Bruyne, etc?

Where as every other club in the country have their foreign stars raided

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Erm, Leroy Sane?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
1 player since 2008? And if memory serves me correctly he was not a starter all the time
Correct. He had an ACL injury and a mardarse attitude which meant he missed a lot of games but when he was fit and focused he played all the time.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If Real don't beat them they'll do it.

They can rest players before the two finals. United will probably need to play at their current full strength until the end of the season.

I’m loving my life

Adding this to the domestic treble, then being in a position to win 4 in a row next season, City and Pep will be the greatest of them all unfortunately.
The story is boring and plastic though. They also cheated so even if they get away with it it’s hugely tainted amongst all but their small plastic fan base

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Nothing really there though just a bit of paper talk

How is it during their whole tenure no other big club made a public interest for Aguero, Silva, Kompany, De Bruyne, etc?

Where as every other club in the country have their foreign stars raided
They are a club that provide the following:

Stable environment: they've had 1 manager in the past 6-7 years. No drama regarding the ownership. Players just want to play without dealing with bullshit.
Trophy challenges every season: odds are that with City, you'll lift at least 1 trophy at the end of the season
Lower pressure environment: see the nonsense that United players or Madrid players go through at times, justified by "well they're big clubs and fans have high expectations"... was there any pressure at City due to their CL exits or occasional fumbles in the league? The fans they have are more accepting of the process. This probably ropes into the first point
Manager: Contrary to internet experts, players actually respect Guardiola and enjoy playing for and learning from him and being part of dominating teams on the pitch.
Money: no idea of what goes on under the table and I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But we do know players at City get paid well, very well...

You can't lure away players who don't want to leave. That's why there have been rumors around B Silva and Sane... they wanted to leave. Hence the interest.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Teams know they don’t need the money and while their players know they are challenging for every trophy there’s less need for them to push for a move.

Edwards6

Then you add in the years of financial cheating and it all becomes irrelevant

Bugs Bunny

Supports
Manchester City
Every trophy they win is hollow and a bit of a anticlimax. They played Arsenal in a title decider game and there was 53,000 or so attendance?
I fairness to us, the capacity of The Etihad is 53,000 'or so', so it would be difficult to get an attendance of more than that :)

RedRocket9908

Always found it weird how literally nobody ever tries to sign their top players for years, i cant actually think of a city first team player being courted by a real, barca or bayern since the take over
The real question is why top players like KDB and Bernardo Silva have never tried to leave and join one of the big European clubs, they arnt there because they love the club or dreamed of playing for City when they were a child so its most likely that they are being paid a huge ammount of money that they wont be able to get anywhere else.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I've gone through the 5 stages of grief already to make it easier. Accepted it now.

Pintu

Me when City clinch the title against us next weekend

Cissé is a joke…. One of the most embarrassing scenes I’ve ever seen… His side just lost and could be relegated (don’t think he knows at the time), and the first he does is go celebrate with an opposition player.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The real question is why top players like KDB and Bernardo Silva have never tried to leave and join one of the big European clubs, they arnt there because they love the club or dreamed of playing for City when they were a child so its most likely that they are being paid a huge ammount of money that they wont be able to get anywhere else.
Bernando Silva has literally been trying to leave City for a few seasons now. He didn't leave last season only because Barcelona couldn't afford the price tag City placed on him.

Why hasn't Bruno tried to leave United?

Pintu

I don‘t think anybody stands a chance… Players probably have another undeclared salary in Dubai or somewhere else…