Man receives genetically altered pigs heart | Man dies

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It's a genetically modified pig heart. I presume the ethics would come into how they got to that point and what happened to the pig?
I hate to break it to you but I don’t think the pig survived. At the end of the day it’s heart just wasn’t in it.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's a genetically modified pig heart. I presume the ethics would come into how they got to that point and what happened to the pig?
We slaughter more than a billion pigs for food every year. Slaughtering a few more, for infinitely better reasons, is not the end of the world.

Withnail

We slaughter more than a billion pigs for food every year. Slaughtering a few more, for infinitely better reasons, is not the end of the world.
I'm not overly bothered I was just answering the question. That's where I see the ethical concern being: to do with the pigs treatment, potential suffering etc. I mean there are already ethical concerns about the treatment of pigs prior to their slaughter for meat.

hobbers

What is unethical about this?
Nothing. But PETA will see that a pig has been bred, genetically engineered and grown up solely to be harvested for its organs. They wont like it.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Pigs are haram. It should've been from sheep.
There is a reason that pig hearts are used for studying human hearts as they are quite similar in size, structure and shape. Not sure if a sheep's heart is as similar.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I saw a movie once about about a guy made out of tin who received a new heart. It's fascinating the things modern medicine can do.
I don't know, he was an accessory to murder so not sure if the heart thing was a good call.

MadMike

There is a reason that pig hearts are used for studying human hearts as they are quite similar in size, structure and shape. Not sure if a sheep's heart is as similar.
It was tongue in cheek. I'm not even religious.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hopefully it means people don't have to be on transplant waiting lists for years.

Dante

Average bang
The prognosis is apparently good. The doctors expect the heart to last at least 10 years. 20 years if he gets it smoked and cured.

0le

There was actually a fictional TV series on CBBC (a kids TV channel) many years ago about a young boy getting a pig's heart based on the book by Malorie Blackman:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0224519/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_Heart_Boy

Crazy to believe this has actually happened now:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59944889

A US man has become the first person in the world to get a heart transplant from a genetically-modified pig.

David Bennett, 57, is doing well three days after the experimental seven-hour procedure in Baltimore, doctors say.
The transplant was considered the last hope of saving Mr Bennett's life, though it is not yet clear what his long-term chances of survival are.

"It was either die or do this transplant," Mr Bennett explained a day before the surgery. "I know it's a shot in the dark, but it's my last choice," he said.

Doctors at the University of Maryland Medical Center were granted a special dispensation by the US medical regulator to carry out the procedure, on the basis that Mr Bennett - who has terminal heart disease - would otherwise have died.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Aren’t pigs close to us DNA-wise or does that not matter in instances like this?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
The moral/ethical implications are interesting. Will animals become a source of body parts as well as being a source of food?