Man United begin contract talks with Eric Bailly

FerociousCorgis

Well Bailly is actually an asset. Signing him up lets us sell him next year, year after that while still having him in reserve.
Or we let him go on a free, lose out on a fee and have to replace him with quality.
Its stupid to let him go. But then fans on here thought getting Henderson on a new deal was stupid and he had to be sold so feck knows.
Lingard would be a 25m player let go for nothing by scouts on here.
Not all Phil Jones.
pretty sure we are saying literally the exact same thing for bailly as we did back for jones. Can't wait til 4 or 5 years from now as we are saying damn cant believe it is time for bailly's testimonial and he has only played about 20 more games in that span.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Well Bailly is actually an asset. Signing him up lets us sell him next year, year after that while still having him in reserve.
Or we let him go on a free, lose out on a fee and have to replace him with quality.
Its stupid to let him go. But then fans on here thought getting Henderson on a new deal was stupid and he had to be sold so feck knows.
Not all Phil Jones.
That's literally what everyone who defended it was saying about Jones when he signed his contract. That turned out great.

It's like some of you are paying out of your own pockets for a new CB that we need, so would rather keep Bailly then spend money on his replacement.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Caf logic: extending injury prone player contract means that we will improve his value when he gets older and sell him for good money.

this is from Phil Jones extension thread, protecting the value arguments:

I think this is just another case of the club protecting the value of its assets.

Like with Fellaini last summer, we could have let him go for free but tied him down to a contract, which a lot of people weren't happy about. 6 months later, we've sold him for £10m, take a bit away from that for his wages and we still have an extra £7-8m to use for transfers which we could have lost.

Hopefully we move Jones on in the summer (Rojo too) and have a bit more £££ to play with
Have to say, it's quite funny to see the meltdowns here. if you look at it logistically it makes sense.

We could either let him go for free, or, we could keep an English defender who we have spent over six years trying to train and improve, who should be entering the prime of his career. And if he's still not good enough, flog him off for a good sum of money (again, cause he's English).
An expected move tbh. The club will make more money selling Bailly and Rojo than letting Jones leave on a free. Also, not saying Jones is great but not seen anything from Bailly or Rojo to convince that they are any better.
I mean it makes sense if the club want to sell him.. letting him walk for free was never a good idea.

But if we have any plans of having him in the first team then we are bonkers. He's nowhere near the best in the league. He's 4th best in our squad already IMO.
He is at least third best among our CBs, is still fairly young and has been very good under Ole. Provided he is on a sensible wage, then a 4+1 years contract is a very good deal for us. Letting him go for free would have weakened us when there are more unreliable CBs at the club who we'd be better off shipping out for decent fees before Jones.
Currently our starting CB and not exactly surprising we didn’t want to let an England international aged 26 go on a free. I’d probably have preferred a shorter contract and I’d hope, given his injury record, that he’s still on relatively low wages for our squad, but overall the right move.
Cool the jets United fans! :lol:

Jones contract was out in the summer, by him signing 4+1 we now can sell him for prime value (what ever what may be. £30-35m in today's market?) as opposed to letting him leave for free.
We were hardly gonna let him go on a free.

Not sure what fuss is.

We need one more starting Cb maybe 2 and then we can sell 5th 6thnchoice in order.
No offence guys, just using it to compare the situation with Bailly's at the moment.

Acole9

Outstanding
Don't have any problems with this, he provides decent cover.

cyberman

That's literally what everyone who defended it was saying about Jones when he signed his contract. That turned out great.

It's like some of you are paying out of your own pockets for a new CB that we need, so would rather keep Bailly then spend money on his replacement.
Or theres a fixed budget and losing, say a 10m asset for nothing and having to replace him for 20 odd million is a 30m swing loss from where we are now.
Its unnecessary. A replacement for a 4th choice defender is ridculous if we dont have to do it.

cyberman

pretty sure we are saying literally the exact same thing for bailly as we did back for jones. Can't wait til 4 or 5 years from now as we are saying damn cant believe it is time for bailly's testimonial and he has only played about 20 more games in that span.
Do 4th choice CBs make many appearances? His inury records been better this sesson, hes been on the bench a lot of times, as well as playing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There were no guarantees that there would be another team that was willing to sign him and give him more minutes. For example, Real Betis were linked (weakly; no strong interest) to Bailly a few weeks back, but the local media from Seville ruled out the Bailly signing due to a lack of funds from the club (i.e. they could only sign him as a free agent). No other club was really linked with him, so maybe Bailly had a change of heart? I, like you, was expecting Bailly to leave, so this contract renewal was a surprise to me. With that said, do I think that it's a bad decision? As long as we sign a new CB, I'd be okay with Bailly sticking around. If not, then we're in trouble. I'd have the exact same view if we let go of Bailly and brought in just one new CB; we need 4 CBs to be able to compete on all fronts.
Bailly didn’t want to sign a new contract because he believed he should be playing more and the reason why Bailly changed his heart is because we promised to give him more minutes. Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe are already 4 centre backs, it’s simple maths.

Put those two sentences together, we get clear conclusion. Bailly’s new contract is secured to ensure we have 4 centre back next season and promised to be given more minutes, meaning we are no longer in for that centre back position this summer.

This is not a surprised news when the club decided to move on from the position to concentrate on other position. It happened before when we gave Mata & Matic new contract and it makes sense because this summer we are also reported targeting midfielder and attacker.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Or theres a fixed budget and losing, say a 10m asset for nothing and having to replace him for 20 odd million is a 30m swing loss from where we are now.
Its unnecessary. A replacement for a 4th choice defender is ridculous if we dont have to do it.
Even if we let him go and not buy anyone we will hardly lose anything, he has played total of 10 games this year, and total of 5,5 games last year. That's not even squad player value, we can always combine someone like McTominay or Matic in his position if we are really short for 3-4 games a season.

And many will argue that buying top class or at least very good CB should be our no.1 priority next summer, so spending good part of our budget on good CB wouldn't be a bad idea.

cyberman

Even if we let him go and not buy anyone we will hardly lose anything, he has played total of 10 games this year, and total of 5,5 games last year. That's not even squad player value, we can always combine someone like McTominay or Matic in his position if we are really short for 3-4 games a season.

And many will argue that buying top class or at least very good CB should be our no.1 priority next summer, so spending good part of our budget on good CB wouldn't be a bad idea.
Well surely having Bailly is better than not having Bailly with no replacement? Im all for another CB but Bailly can play CB and cover RCB. If he isnt taking up space then its a decent signing
Even keep him for a year and sell him off next summer when we look at our defensive options. Its really not that important imo.

A-man

More seriously an Italian or Spanish club would probably spend £5-10m on him (if his injury record continues to be OK next season as it has been this season)
According to reports Real Betis were interested but 1. didn’t want to pay the €13 millions that a United asked for and 2. His salary at United is much higher than any other player in their team.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Bailly didn’t want to sign a new contract because he believed he should be playing more and the reason why Bailly changed his heart is because we promised to give him more minutes. Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe are already 4 centre backs, it’s simple maths.

Put those two sentences together, we get clear conclusion. Bailly’s new contract is secured to ensure we have 4 centre back next season and promised to be given more minutes, meaning we are no longer in for that centre back position this summer.

This is not a surprised news when the club decided to move on from the position to concentrate on other position. It happened before when we gave Mata & Matic new contract and it makes sense because this summer we are also reported targeting midfielder and attacker.
Here's the thing, I don't see Tuanzebe as the 4th CB, at least not at this stage. He's another defender who's been injury-prone, and I'm not so sure if he's really in United's plans. If he really was, we'd be seeing him rotate with one of Lindelöf and Maguire, but he hasn't (save for the 2nd leg against Granada).

I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a new CB to take Tuanzebe's spot in the squad (either as a starter or added depth).

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
More seriously an Italian or Spanish club would probably spend £5-10m on him (if his injury record continues to be OK next season as it has been this season)
No one wants to pay wages that we give to our players, that's why it's really difficult to offload players from United. Our average wages are far bigger than the likes of Roma, Lazio, etc. give to their highest paid player, and you will hardly sell them to PSG.

Well surely having Bailly is better than not having Bailly with no replacement? Im all for another CB but Bailly can play CB and cover RCB. If he isnt taking up space then its a decent signing
Even keep him for a year and sell him off next summer when we look at our defensive options. Its really not that important imo.
I disagree, having him here will mean our owners or whoever is responsible for recruitments will be happy with numbers, when in reality we have numbers but no quality. I don't even mind him regarding quality as a defender, you can hardly get better 3rd or fourth choice, but he is unreliable and injured more often than not, and third or fourth choice CB needs to be ready always if we are talking about proper squad player. For example James is far better squad player than Bailly even if he isn't quality as him in his position. Same with Telles, McTominay, Matic, even Mata, etc. Bailly is not that good to compensate for his lack of gaming time.

croadyman

Here's the thing, I don't see Tuanzebe as the 4th CB, at least not at this stage. He's another defender who's been injury-prone, and I'm not so sure if he's really in United's plans. If he really was, we'd be seeing him rotate with one of Lindelöf and Maguire, but he hasn't (save for the 2nd leg against Granada).

I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a new CB to take Tuanzebe's spot in the squad (either as a starter or added depth).
Varane or nobody for me

Cantonagotmehere

Am I being jaded, that this is the type of thing I am worried about now the Glazers evil ESL dreams have been quashed? Re-sign Baily and he's our new CB signing for the Summer? They will not spend much more than a fricken dime on the squad now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He is not even that good when he plays, gets overrated because of his pace. On top I assume some people are just overwhelmed by his mere presence on the pitch as it’s such a rare occurrence that anything he does seems out of this world to them.
I usually have a lot of patience for most of our players, but I gave up on him ages ago and am really frustrated that the club offered him an extension.
Could we really not have used some academy kid for the 7,25 games per season on average he manages to play?

A-man

Mate, It was reported Bailly didn’t want to sign new deal because he believed he should be playing more than what he got this season. If we sign a new centre back based on your argument then it will make Bailly to play much less games than this season. That is against the logic of why Bailly signed a new deal. Does this not enough to give you an idea that we are not longer in for centre back this summer? If this is not enough, explain how a new centre back coming means Bailly will get more minutes than this season?
I’m pretty sure this is the situation. No way he would sign if he knew he would get even fewer minutes. Or basically zero minutes.

Not all Phil Jones.
It’s not so easy to sell players with the salaries we have. Also, either he is successful and then we won’t sell him. Or he’s not successful and then nobody wants to buy him.

siw2007

I would guess that means we aren't signing a CB this summer, which is a bummer as I thought we could do with a really good addition in that area of the pitch. I like Bailly as a player, he's largely done well when played this year, I am unsure whether this is the right move for the club going forwards. I can only hope this means that we are freeing up funds for a strong addition further up the pitch.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

That's your thing. Unfortunately your thing doesn't suit to what actually happened based on what has been reported. What has been reported is that Bailly wouldn't sign a new contract if he won't play enough games. Today he just signed a new contract means he is promised to get more minutes and we have 4 centre backs now for next season. This concludes only one thing that there is no reason for us to spend money on a new CB this summer, you don't expect the 4th choice to play often anyway since Maguire and Lindelof are not injury prone means Tuanzebe is the most ideal 4th choice.

A-man

I would guess that means we aren't signing a CB this summer, which is a bummer as I thought we could do with a really good addition in that area of the pitch. I like Bailly as a player, he's largely done well when played this year, I am unsure whether this is the right move for the club going forwards. I can only hope this means that we are freeing up funds for a strong addition further up the pitch.
They probably believe they need to invest in other areas. The defence has improved a lot lately, and that includes all in the back 4 and goalkeeper. I just saw stats that Lindelof has 8 clean sheets in his last 12 games. If we can trust our defence to stay that good we will improve more if we invest the money elsewhere.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
How much would Bailly know about the summer transfer plans? He seems to be quite convinced that we’ll be fighting for gold.....
He's directly involved in negotiations. Bailly has a Masters degree in economics from Harvard before he became a footballer.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That's your thing. Unfortunately your thing doesn't suit to what actually happened based on what has been reported. What has been reported is that Bailly wouldn't sign a new contract if he won't play enough games. Today he just signed a new contract means he is promised to get more minutes and we have 4 centre backs now for next season. This concludes only one thing that there is no reason for us to spend money on a new CB this summer, you don't expect the 4th choice to play often anyway since Maguire and Lindelof are not injury prone means Tuanzebe is the most ideal 4th choice.
I've mentioned previously that things can change and that this might mean no CB coming in this summer. I wouldn't necessarily completely rule it out, though. Let's see what comes out over the next few weeks.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I've mentioned previously that things can change and that this might mean no CB coming in this summer. I wouldn't necessarily completely rule it out, though. Let's see what comes out over the next few weeks.
Based on what has been reported about Bailly, the article about us looking for midfielder and the fact we have 4 centre back already, it's fair enough to say those have tackled everything what you have said/mentioned.

siw2007

They probably believe they need to invest in other areas. The defence has improved a lot lately, and that includes all in the back 4 and goalkeeper. I just saw stats that Lindelof has 8 clean sheets in his last 12 games. If we can trust our defence to stay that good we will improve more if we invest the money elsewhere.
This is what I think we’ve decided too. I think we will hang only Axel too now as we won’t shed the defence too much.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If he's seen as a good influence for the team then fine. He plays about a third of our games and he's reasonably good when he plays. That's worth paying moderate wages for.

dave1956

Another player that talked about leaving and being disresepcted by the manager, who despite this signs another contact extention. Perhaps he has realised that no other club wants him on his present salary or injury record so he is better off staying.
I know other forum members have said that he is good cover etc., but like Phil Jones in truth he nor Jones are because their injury records are horrendous. Jones in 10 seasons has made 165 appearances, of which in the present season has made none and in the season before 2 and in all thast time scored 2 goals.
Now Bailly statistically has a better record but not by much having made 100 appearances over 5 years and scored 1 goal.
Now how many Premier League clubs have carried 2 players over a period of 10 years with such poor injury records, I cannot think of 1, although have not troubled myself to look at this angle, perhaps others on this forum can supply the answer.
I believe that clubs have a duty as employees to support staff with medical problems, but a time comes when perhaps it is time to let them go and in the case of these two, they should not have been offered new contracts.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Just reading we are after a bosman signing striker from South America. Link Doesnt bode well if true. Are the glazers punishing the club by cutting the transfer budget?
I don't mind if United go for unknown talent if they got serious skill. That was I was expected us to do with CB backups. Instead we're insisting on giving contracts to our crocks.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

This.

Even though hes made of paper its still better than him leaving for free and there are other areas of the pitch more in need of strengthening than CB

Andersons Dietician

You know what’s kinda BS, the OLE has promised him more game minutes rubbish. You have to be fit to play and let’s be honest that was probably banded around when in reality he was holding out for more money or letting United know he’s willing to leave if they don’t up the money. If you want more minutes Bailly, stay fit and perform better than Lindelof and Maguire.

Personally I’d still bring in a defender as Competition for Lindelof and Maguire and send Tuanzebe on loan or something where he can maybe get more game time to get one more look to see if he’s up to it.

Ted1985

This is the cheap and less risk option, and rationally the righ thing to do if the coaches think Bailly is good enough. I want to see Bailly more on the pitch and I hope he gets more minutes next season.

If we do loose Bailly then I hope the scouts come good for the club and find a cheap option. There are other areas on the pitch where I want most of our transfer budget to be focused, CF, DM or Grealish *drool*

EDIT: I thought his name was spelled Bailey, guess I am not perfect after all

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This is the cheap and less risk option, and rationally the righ thing to do if the coaches think Bailey is good enough. I want to see Bailey more on the pitch and I hope he gets more minutes next season.

If we do loose Bailey then I hope the scouts come good for the club and find a cheap option. There are other areas on the pitch where I want most of our transfer budget to be focused, CF, DM or Grealish *drool*
Jesus christ at least get his name right

Water Melon

Am I being jaded, that this is the type of thing I am worried about now the Glazers evil ESL dreams have been quashed? Re-sign Baily and he's our new CB signing for the Summer? They will not spend much more than a fricken dime on the squad now.
I would be almost ready to bet my house on it. ESL was their ultimate guarantee of giving minimum extra 20 years of life to their debt loaded cash cow. They do not want to spend on the cow themselves, nor do they allow it to green pastures to make it safe-sustainable. I can see very limited budget on transfers unless we sell big, i.e. part ways with Paul Pogba.

A-man

I would be almost ready to bet my house on it. ESL was their ultimate guarantee of giving minimum extra 20 years of life to their debt loaded cash cow. They do not want to spend on the cow themselves, nor do they allow it to green pastures to make it safe-sustainable. I can see very limited budget on transfers unless we sell big, i.e. part ways with Paul Pogba.
I think you might be over analysing it now. This club has been extending contracts in this way for many years now. It’s really not that strange. For me the only “thing” is that Bailly has been unhappy with his little game time, and he has probably been guaranteed that they won’t sign another CB this summer as that could mean basically zero minutes for him.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

He can take Jones' place as squad crock as I think Jones will leave this summer.

If his presence keeps Amad happy and Amad flourishes next season then its worth it.

Plus he is a good defender when he's fit and on it.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Do you have a link? The whole post makes sense and is very likely but I've only seen we'd be after a midfielder if Pogba leaves

redshaw

This is the cheap and less risk option, and rationally the righ thing to do if the coaches think Bailly is good enough. I want to see Bailly more on the pitch and I hope he gets more minutes next season.

If we do loose Bailly then I hope the scouts come good for the club and find a cheap option. There are other areas on the pitch where I want most of our transfer budget to be focused, CF, DM or Grealish *drool*

EDIT: I thought his name was spelled Bailey, guess I am not perfect after all
Lose has one "o" as well