Man United begin contract talks with Eric Bailly

Chairman Steve

I don’t mind this. I envision a good centre back pool of Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly and another CB we haven’t bought as good going forward. Bailly really needs to be fit more often though.

Jezpeza

I don’t mind this. I envision a good centre back pool of Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly and another CB we haven’t bought as good going forward. Bailly really needs to be fit more often though.
Bailly and Lindelof are good for rotation and injury cover. Feel like we are in a ledley king situation with Bailly where if he plays he is quite good but if he plays every week he breaks.

Andersonson

Hopefully this doesnt mean we're not in the market for an upgrade on Lindelof/Maguire. We need better if we're going to challenge for the title. Would be very happy with Eric as an backup option, as he is today if we buy a good first team CB

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why though? He's not played over 20 games in a season for us since 2017. Even Phil Jones had played more in the build up to his new contract.

hobbers

Extend his contract by all means, but if he's given a Phil Jones type deal...... jesus christ.

Injury prone players with no outside interest do not deserve greatly improved deals.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Only if we have genuine faith in him stating injury free. We don't need to keep trying ourselves into contracts for players who can't consistently produce the goods. Balley is potentially a good CB but he has to now be at the last (last few straws) in terms of chances to turn it around. So we have to be careful to not have another decent chunk of salary blocked off on a player that isn't there for the team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Why though? He's not played over 20 games in a season for us since 2017. Even Phil Jones had played more in the build up to his new contract.
That's mad. I've always liked Balley's qualities as a player but consistency and reliability should be a big factor when handing out contracts. Giving him a 2/3 year deal and the trend continuing will be a failure on our part.

RashyForPM

Good call. He’s quick so can play in a high line, and he’s solid. Injured too often but we need a new CB to upgrade on Lindelof anyway.

R'hllor

If Jones got one, why not him, make sense right, protecting value, cant squeze whole season out of him but thats not really important for those who have a say in a matter.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Makes sense imo. Would be silly to let him walk for free end of next season.

Can’t believe he’s been here 5 years though, and how little we’ve seen of hIm.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Only if we have genuine faith in him stating injury free. We don't need to keep trying ourselves into contracts for players who can't consistently produce the goods. Balley is potentially a good CB but he has to now be at the last (last few straws) in terms of chances to turn it around. So we have to be careful to not have another decent chunk of salary blocked off on a player that isn't there for the team.
If the club see him as a good backup then it makes sense to give him a contract than to let him go for free. We'd still have to pay a fee and a wage to whoever replaces him.

dove

"key defensive star" :lol: Watch us increase his wages too because why not, we love rewarding our deadwood.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If Jones got one, why not him, make sense right, protecting value, cant squeze whole season out of him but thats not really important for those who have a say in a matter.
I make the opposite argument: Jones getting a deal should be a reminder not to hand out extensions willy nilly. This protecting value nonsense has left us stuck with Andreas etc.

I like Bailly. However, Ole clearly prefers Lindelof. I think that's wrong but I am not the manager. If Ole does prefer Lindelof we should sell Bailly and bring in a better player. Put the wages we were giving him towards a budget for an improvement at centre half.

James35

Bailly new contract, Jones being mentioned by Ole for next season. The purse strings must be so tight this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if Lingard and Pereira are back in the match day squad next season after another masterclass summer transfer window.

Marwood

Can't say I like the idea, it's a gamble and do we really need to gamble?

He's even a slight doubt for today, got a knock in the Milan game.

Red00012

Bailly new contract, Jones being mentioned by Ole for next season. The purse strings must be so tight this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if Lingard and Pereira are back in the match day squad next season after another masterclass summer transfer window.
Jones will be like a new signing next season :eek:

R'hllor

I make the opposite argument: Jones getting a deal should be a reminder not to hand out extensions willy nilly. This protecting value nonsense has left us stuck with Andreas etc.

I like Bailly. However, Ole clearly prefers Lindelof. I think that's wrong but I am not the manager. If Ole does prefer Lindelof we should sell Bailly and bring in a better player. Put the wages we were giving him towards a budget for an improvement at centre half.
Regarding Jones contract, all involved in that bullshit should be in a prison.

redshaw

Would be a shame for the medical team to see him leave so why not.

Judas

Open to offers
Cheaper than buying another defender who can actually be relied upon to stay fit, I get the clubs logic. I think it's a bit daft, as much as I rate him, he's never fit for long enough to make the true difference to the team, and I can't see that ever changing at this point.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This is basically the club being cheap bastards and hoping that somehow he overcomes his injury problems than going for a new CB. It also probably means that we are going to stick with Lindelof as first choice and that Bailly will stay as a backup, which tells you all about our ambitions.

How can anyone be fine with this is beyond me, he is not even that good and he can't be relied on to stay injury free.

dove

Incredible, isn't it?
It is. He has managed to play 60 league games in nearly 5 years now and probably didn't finish half of it. Why would we want to extend his contract? We cannot rely on him at all. Plays 2-3 games, gets injured, comes back after 6 weeks, repeat. But then again, we are the club that gave Jones a 5 year contract so I guess in Ed's universe it all makes sense.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It is. He has managed to play 60 league games in nearly 5 years now and probably didn't finish half of it. Why would we want to extend his contract? We cannot rely on him at all. Plays 2-3 games, gets injured, comes back after 6 weeks, repeat. But then again, we are the club that gave Jones a 5 year contract so I guess in Ed's universe it all makes sense.
There are people here who are fine with it for some reason, supporting the club being cheap motherfeckers.

I guess we need someone to continue Jones legacy, pretty sure he needs just two or three good games too for some of his fans to crawl back and say that they have always liked Jones and found him a good squad player

redpatron

we really have no choice. We can't sign two cbs this summer, Axel needs to be loaned out and Jones is sitting at home collecting weekly Glazer stimulus wages. We can't let Bailly walk in 2022, another top 6 will pick him and this place won't stop moaning about when he's at killing it at another club while we have the Chuckle Brothers 2.0

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Don't worry. I heard good things about our new DOF. We're on the safe hands.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He’s 26 and has one year left in his deal. We either extend and keep him as 4th choice or sell. Personally I’d rather sell Axel with a buy back because he needs to play for his own development and keep Bailly. So again I don’t quite get the moaning.

Eire Red United

He needs a clause in his contract where his pay is hugely cut if he’s not available for a certain amount of games. Actually so do all our sick notes, Pogba, Jones etc. Would never happen but would love to see it.

croadyman

"key defensive star"

:lol:
Yeah I am just praying this doesn't affect us bringing in a CB and hopefully Ole talking about Jones in regards to next season is just trying to bull him up but ends up being like Sanchez in the end

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
There is a player there. He just keeps getting injured. But i would keep him before Axel.

Revan

Assumptionman
Phil Jones scenario all over again. If you exclude his first season, he has averaged 9 EPL games per season (15.5 including all competitions).

R77

He's in the curious position of being probably better than the player he's a backup for, is already at the club and will just cost the renewal. Obviously accepts his role, and it has little bearing on whether we need to upgrade the first choice pairing or not. Other than his propensity for injuring himself, I see little wrong with it.