Man United begin contract talks with Eric Bailly

edgecutter

I like Bailly, but I am getting Phil Jones vibes from this contract. The guy can't stay fit and we can already see that he will have little resale value if this continues.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
100 appearances in 5 seasons.

I remember seeing a lot of similar posts when Jones was getting his contract renewed.

The whole "protect a player's value" meme needs to die.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Some people seem to really hate new contacts on this place.

What's the alternative? Let him leave for free? He's worth at least £20 mil.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
At least include a pay as you play type of clause.
His injuries aren’t magically going to disappear.

9 Stone Elvis

100 games in 5 years and we are “rewarding” him with a new deal. Outstanding. This is our problem in a nutshell. On his day he is great but he cannot be relied upon and a in order to win again we need defenders we can rely on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Please be careful United.

Do not tie us into a Jones-esque deal on silly money. Do not do it.

el3mel

Just hope it's not some bollocks like 4 years contract. 1+1 will at least be acceptable.

Gopher Brown

Yes, but a 3 year contract at £80k per week, plus signing on fee, plus bonuses will be more than £13m. A sizeable chunk of his ‘value’ to the club. Is he worth it, probably, but only if he can stay fit.

Big Ben Foster

Supports

Yes. Let him leave on a free. He's definitely not worth that much with his injury issues.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Got no problem with him as a back up in the squad as long as he can stay fit, hopefully he's not going to get a ridiculous pay rise
We already know the chances of that are slim

Giggsy13

We never learn. Why out put so much stock into a player with injury issues. He’ll sign a new contract and then won’t play 50% of the games during his contract, and we’ll all be wondering yet again why the club would sign up an injury prone player.

PieCrust

Would be fine to maintian depth, but he's never fit and I'm sure United will pay him some outrageous salary.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Injured again. Can't believe yet another sicknote is getting an extension. Just get rid.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Bailly joined the club in June 2016 and has made exactly 100 appearances.

Maguire joined the club in June 2019 and has already made 97 appearances.

Bailly should be sold never mind given a new contract. We need players that are fit and when a CB who joined 3 years after him is about to take over him in appearances, that is clearly evidence that Bailly is not reliable at all.

RedDF

The potential is there for everyone to see and CBs usually hit their prime at 26+ years of age, for all we know he could get over his injury problems now and become reliable, we've seen it happen before.

I'm all for this, to be honest, but something like 2-3 years extension rather than a 5+1 deal that we seem to be handing out like candy on Halloween to everyone.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Makes sense to renew the contract of a player you can realistically sell on for a decent amount - rather than letting said player leave on a free.

Does not make sense to offer an injury prone player a significantly improved contract.

Does not make sense to renew a contract that was far too generous in the first place - unless the player is an actual asset (which would mean, at a minumum, that he isn't injury prone).

Precisely what of the above applies in this particular case is another matter - but those are general principles I would like United to adhere to.

A-man

He has been good this season but still had many small injuries. He has played 100 games in 5 seasons, but only about 50 PL starts and half of them his first season. To make him fit for bigger occasions, he needs to play all cup matches vs small teams which takes away that opportunity to play for teenage players in development. Doesn’t matter how good he can be at a few matches per year, he is too injury prone to be trusted.

Jaxa

This club have some seriously unhealthy attachment issues, it's like that relationship where 1 person knows the other is not good for them but can't let go due to nostalgia or thinking there is nothing better out there,

Now I love Eric Bailly, fantastic entertainment and a really good defenders too but he cannot stay fit for more than 3-4 games and that's been the case since he signed here about what 3 or 4 years ago ? So at what point do you cut your losses ? I have zero hope in this club though as they have continuously offered Phil Hospital Bed Jones new contracts when he also is another crock that doesn't stay fit, I mean how much money have they lost having this guy on the books.

Bailly will never change, he's injury prone and it's a damn shame as well because he's a fantastic player but there comes a time when you need to move them on, were a business, not a charity

RedDevilzFox

I'd get rid of him frankly. Sell and get what you can get for him. You'd think at some point we'd learn and demand from players to turn promise into reality but seemingly we never do. Its not even like he is the 2nd coming of Vidic or anything. At his best he is very athletic but still prone to errors. At his worst he is just wild and reckless.

To all those sayings he is a good "backup" and "depth", it only works if he is infact "backup" and "depth" and not on the treatment table where he tends to be 75% of the time. Not sure why we keep doing this to ourselves.

Say what you will about Lindelof but the guy is injury free nearly all the time. As is Maguire.

Last edited:

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Why do people always go with the "if he can stay fit..." hypothetical with injury prone players like Bailly and Jones?

He can't stay fit and he won't, so it's a moot point. Matter of fact, he just got injured again!

Judas

Open to offers
It's a short sighted money saving contract renewal. He'll never be consistently fit enough. It's baffling to see people making similar posts to the idiotic ones in the Jones thread.

I really like him as a player, but his body is mashed. It's a real shame.

0le

Let his contract run down. Absolutely pointless keeping a player around who cannot stay fit whatsoever.

Nikelesh Reddy

Don’t mind it at all...If he can stay fit he can certainly be a useful asset in this squad...

Bailly joined the club in June 2016 and has made exactly 100 appearances.

Maguire joined the club in June 2019 and has already made 97 appearances.

Bailly should be sold never mind given a new contract. We need players that are fit and when a CB who joined 3 years after him is about to take over him in appearances, that is clearly evidence that Bailly is not reliable at all.
astonishing.

needs to go, I agree.

we are so desperate for another decent CB.

fans want him to be good, and he gives false hope to a % of the fanbase.

when he played a couple of games earlier in the session, we not only had people claiming he was the best CB at the club, that he was the best in the league...

he can’t be relied upon, he should be shown the door.

wolvored

Hes not a bad player, but like Jones is injury prone. Why dont we make a fit and pay contract. Jones has been mainly injured since he got his new contract and must be laughing all the way to the bank. The stupidity and/or penny pinching way this club is run is a complete joke.

RUCK4444

I don’t feel strongly either way on this one.

Decent when he puts a run of games together, capable of excellent performances but equally capable of shite ones as well tbh.

If we are hopefully spending big in other positions perhaps it’s worth retaining him even if his constant injuries mean he’s a rotation option most likely.

wolvored

Yes, but a 3 year contract at £80k per week, plus signing on fee, plus bonuses will be more than £13m. A sizeable chunk of his ‘value’ to the club. Is he worth it, probably, but only if he can stay fit.
Why a signing on fee? Were not poaching him from another club. Whatever he is on he wont get elsewhere. Thats why the likes of Rojo and Romero dont or didnt want to leave.

there’s no club that would pay £20m for him.

there would be some clubs who would perhaps give him a reasonable contract, and take a risk on him - but in return they would only be willing to pay a nominal fee for him, or take him on a free.

he’s pretty much worthless as an asset to us. In fact given his wages, he’s a liability.

Redlyn

He should stay and we can still sell next season without pressure after new CB settled in. Let's not have him be on his last year, and give him a minimal wage increase.

DWelbz19

It's a short sighted money saving contract renewal. He'll never be consistently fit enough. It's baffling to see people making similar posts to the idiotic ones in the Jones thread.

I really like him as a player, but his body is mashed. It's a real shame.
This. It’s easier to retain squad players on respectable wages than it is to sign another player and give them that wage to fill the void.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Whose going to pay that though? Who bought Jones off from us?

SATA

Why we do have so brittle defenders and yet they are good players when they are actually fit but rare? Jones, Bailly and even Rojo was quite a crock when he was here