Man United fans. The most patient and loyal fans in modern football. An appreciation thread.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Been following football since the mid 90s. Have seen empires and their majesty at Milan, Barca, Real, Bayern etc. And have been privileged to watch our own empire with the greatest manager of all time at the helm, and witnessing the impossible from him week in, week out. Have seen a midfield full of defenders, a defence with midfielders, best players being sold without batting an eyelid if they undermined the club or the manager, have seen us winning. It gave a boost to an otherwise average life of academics and then work. A weekly high one may say. It's all long gone now. Watching the club struggle just adds to the pains of life now. But seeing the resilience of supporters is the best thing about this period. We are not the entitled/toxic/impatient "fans" of Real or Barca. We are the romantics. The anomalies of time. All we have is patience, in an era which has none. We are happy with no accountability of players and management. All we want is our performances to put a shine on our otherwise humdrum lives. A lot of us have been fired/penalized on our respective jobs for "not performing". We know how that feels like.

Salute to Man United supporters worldwide. You are what makes the club. Here's to the hope that blue skies are just round the corner. We have never needed white kerchiefs to show or hide our emotions. We never will. Cheers.

Last edited:

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Yup. Knew it. It's fashionable to call our supporters various names and abuses. Threads like these are useless but same bunch of people crave for "positivity". Hilarious.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Without doubt the most loyal fan base.

The home attendance figs show that during the barren years.

RUCK4444

Been following football since the mid 90s. Have seen empires andd their majesty at Milan, Barca, Real, Bayern etc. And have been privileged to watch our own empire with the greatest manager of all time at the helm, and witnessing the impossible from him week in week out. Have seen a midfield full of defenders, a defence with midfielders, best players being sold without batting an eyelid of they undermined the club or the manager, have seen us winning. It gave a boost to an otherwise average life of academics and then work. A weekly high one may say. It's all long gone now. Watching the club struggle just adds to the pains of life now. But seeing the resilience of supporters is the best thing about this period. We are not the entitled/toxic/impatient "fans" of Real or Barca. We are the romantics. The anomalies of time. All we have is patience, in an era which has none. We are happy with no accountability of players and management. All we want is our performances to put a shine on our otherwise humdrum lives. A lot of us have been fired/penalized on our respective jobs for "not performing". We know how that feels like.

Salute to Man United supporters worldwide. You are what makes the club. Here's to the hope that blue skies are just round the corner. We have never needed white kerchiefs to show or hide our emotions. We never will. Cheers.
You don’t come here often do you?

I love your view on it bud, wish I shared it. There are some that support like you describe, I like to think I’m one of the more patient posters here, but on the whole the fans here are incredibly impatient and knee jerk. :lol:

We were indeed spoilt, spoilt rotten under SAF the Don. It was always going to be a hard road after he retired, none of us knew quite how long the road would be though...

RedBanker

I love you Ole
You don’t come here often do you?

I love your view on it bud, wish I shared it. There are some that support like you describe, I like to think I’m one of the more patient posters here, but on the whole the fans here are incredibly impatient and knee jerk. :lol:

We were indeed spoilt, spoilt rotten under SAF the Don. It was always going to be a hard road after he retired, none of us knew quite how long the road would be though...
I know how it feels to see us struggle. As I said from a personal level, United winning was the high point of many a week of my life. It carried me through my father's untimely demise, heartbreaks, lows in academics and career. But all good things come to an end and that's the part which is difficult to accept. I too direct my anger at all managers post SAF, because I am selfish and want my team to give me a reason to head into every Monday with a smile.

I am nowhere near the ideal supporter and as someone said, I can only tip my hat to the ones who went through the real barren years.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Bravo my man, enjoyed that a lot more than the moany feck ”I’m a better fan that you are” thread, version 562.
I am a very ordinary supporter and will remain so for the rest of my life. But somehow this disturbing trend of calling our overall support base "toxic" riles me a lot. Yes we all wish the very best for our club and have different ways of expressing it. But let none of that be branded as poisonous. That's all I meant. My average writing skills maybe didn't convey the point.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Bravo my man, enjoyed that a lot more than the moany feck ”I’m a better fan that you are” thread, version 562.
Absolutely. Came out of nowhere in this sea of unbearable debates about entitled/spoiled brats, what it means to be a proper fan and so on.

And am sticking with his thoughts. Merry Christmas.

Edit: damn, now I miss that Cantona song...

Last edited:

Web of Bissaka

Cheers OP.
This one is much better because it's being respectful, than the other thread that labelled fans that criticize as entitled and toxic, not accepting them as fans who are worried/concern and just expressing it. Ironically posters who like that thread is being toxic towards fans that criticize and additionally, ironic again, people who agree with that thread sounds so entitled.. it's like they themselves are the actual entitled fans just because they do not criticize and say everything positive always about the squad and coaches.

That said, at least the fans that criticize are still here, still following the team, watch the games, buy merchandise and attended games. In truth, I know a lof of United fans already gave up "supporting" the team. "Supporting" imo is an active behavior, and yes, plenty already is done with all this shit and have left. Seriously they stop caring about United, refusing to talk about it anymore and all. I don't mind the fans that criticize at all. It shows they still care about United. Being impatience is a sign of desire/ambition... I mean Bruno should've be more patient with his teammates and not bollocking them when they make mistakes or perform subpar.... or like Keane and Fergie once were towards their teammates and players respectively.

I am a very ordinary supporter and will remain so for the rest of my life. But somehow this disturbing trend of calling our overall support base "toxic" riles me a lot. Yes we all wish the very best for our club and have different ways of expressing it. But let none of that be branded as poisonous. That's all I meant. My average writing skills maybe didn't convey the point.
Indeed. Well said.

FatherWolff

You have to separate the two. The local fan with roots to the club is the most magnificent fan in the world. There are loads of clubs with such identity throughout the world, and it is a underestimated value. In psychology you have Antonovsky speaking about coherence and identity. In economics you have what would be described as the pillar of your local economy. Personally I have played for two clubs in the working class area, who lead to economic depression once they got relegated. Their industrial pride goes hand in hand with their football club, and it’s part of the local identity.

On the other hand, you have global economy and global owners. You have Global fans, and a bigger economy of the merchandise. Still you have the same mechanism of Antonovsky, but without the autonomy of close micro system coherence.

Such a big and interesting topic. But I don’t think this is the time or place to discuss it..

But when you look at social media. It is becoming more and more extreme. There is a lot of anger out there, and people looking to identify themselves through others and systems of coherence.

I think the complexity of this is why a big club like ours. Like Real and other experience such big polarity. Football contain so much variables, it is impossible to be right. It contain more variables than chess.

At the end of the day. All you have left is history and identity. But that is difficult to accept and be happy with. But in my opinion, it’s all you need.

Have a good game today! :)