Man Utd board warming to Inter Milan boss Mourinho

Who should replace SAF after he retires ?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 270 58.1%
  • Laurent Blanc

Votes: 61 13.1%
  • Steve Bruce

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Roy Keane

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Votes: 25 5.4%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Arsene Wenger

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mark Hughes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • Gus Hiddink

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Ottmar Hitzfeld

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Eric Cantona

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Alec McCleish

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Frank Rijkaard

• Louis Van Gaal

• Mike Phelan

• Carlos Quieroz

• Dick Advocaat

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Harry Redknapp

• Marcello Lippi

• Martin O'Neill

Votes: 19 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Uppercut

Ballack's market value in 2006 was at least £20m, Chelsea got him for free but I bet a chunk of that figure ended up in a Swiss account bearing Ballack's name to cover his sign-on fee.
Pure speculation.

Hate Mourinho? Not at all, great character, the best in the business when it comes to preparing a team tactically and metally, for big games in particular. But better than SAF as an all round manager? Not in a million years.
His track record would suggest, if he is not regarded as a better manager than SAF right now, he will be in a few years. Barring some kind of fatal accident, or an early retirement, I find it difficult to make a case against Mourinho going down as the GOAT.

There is a bright side, though, he might confirm that status with us.

VoetbalWizard

you cannot compare mourinho to fergie. completely different situations.

mourinho will never rebuild a club like fergie has, and fergie will never rack up cl's like mourinho probably will. they are different managers for different times. fergie was the right manager for us in 86. mourinho will be the right manager for us in 2013.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
:lol:

So, one is a player making a mistake, the other, is a linesman......making a mistake.

Outstanding.
Nothing stopped John Terry from missing that penalty other than John Terry, if he had practised penalties more often he might not have been such a spaz and tripped over. Whereas Scholes was robbed of a goal he deserved by awful officiating, that is incredibly unlucky. Like I say I'm over it though. :mad:

phelans shorts

Mourinho had NOTHING to do with Coutinho signing, that was done before he arrived in Italy and anyway, Inter's transfers are done by the DOF Marco Branca. That's your first point blitzed.

Davide Santon, OK Jose blooded him, but Mourinho also froze him out last season, that's hardly a show of faith in youth is it?

Biabiany was well out of Mourinho's plan's, that's why Moratti sent him out and gave Parma 50% rights on him. Another assumption blitzed.

An example of faith in youth and how it can reward you...SAF kept faith in Nani who a lot of people gave up on, the sort of player Mourinho gives up on regularly ala Mancini, Queresma, Joe Cole, Balotelli etc, and was rewarded. Jose doesn't keep faith with young player's who struggle initially, which is why he's rarely brought through top player's during his management.
In 2006, he broke the PL record by signing Sheva for £30m, £12m splashed on Mikel and also signed Ballack on then record wages, the equivalent of a £20-30m player.

2009, he spent heavy cash, the fact it was from Ibra's sale matters not one jot, money is money and his club spent lots of it.

2007 apart, I'd be willing to bet that he's outspent SAF considerably during every year since he left Porto.
I have just stumbled in here but can I ask you something?

So them bolded parts, if a player that it appears he had a role in signing turns out well it's the DOF, yet when there is an expensive flop who it is exceedingly well documented that he didn't want it's his fault?

Right...

WireRed

I have just stumbled in here but can I ask you something?

So them bolded parts, if a player that it appears he had a role in signing turns out well it's the DOF, yet when there is an expensive flop who it is exceedingly well documented that he didn't want it's his fault?

Right...
Coutinho was signed as a 16-17 y/o on the say of Inter's scouts by Marco Branca. Mourinho inherited that signing and ultimately never even worked with the player.

Shevchenko on the other hand was signed for £30m by either Mourinho/Abramovich, either way, Mourinho would have had to sanction the move for it to have gone through, it did go through, Jose waxed lyrical about Sheva's quality and when he flopped he spat the dummy out and Roman packed him off to the job centre. Simple as that really.

phelans shorts

Coutinho was signed as a 16-17 y/o on the say of Inter's scouts by Marco Branca. Mourinho inherited that signing and ultimately never even worked with the player.

Shevchenko on the other hand was signed for £30m by either Mourinho/Abramovich, either way, Mourinho would have had to sanction the move for it to have gone through, it did go through, Jose waxed lyrical about Sheva's quality and when he flopped he spat the dummy out and Roman packed him off to the job centre. Simple as that reallty.

Like a gangster from behind the iron curtain would ask what he was supposed to spend his money on from one of his employee's.

WireRed

Like a gangster from behind the iron curtain would ask what he was supposed to spend his money on from one of his employee's.
If Jose told Roman to get to feck and he was totally against Shevchenko signing, I'm pretty sure Roman would have put his wallet away.

If Jose didn't want him what was all that "to improve champions, you must sign champions" bollocks Mourinho was spouting in the wake of Sheva's arrival? That wasn't a statement or a written interview, that was on SSN and he was gushing about his "champion" he'd just added to his squad.

phelans shorts

If Jose told Roman to get to feck and he was totally against Shevchenko signing, I'm pretty sure Roman would have put his wallet away.

If Jose didn't want him what was all that "to improve champions, you must sign champions" bollocks Mourinho was spouting in the wake of Sheva's arrival? That wasn't a statement or a written interview, that was on SSN and he was gushing about his "champion" he'd just added to his squad.
Actually Roman would have just sacked José if he said no, he also couldn't speak out against it for the exact same reason, trying to save his job.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
The bold bit is you completely missing the point. The point being that Jose gives up on player's way too easily.
Which is still absolute bullshit. I listed for you Joe Cole, John Obi Mikel and Drogba. I should also mention Stankovic who he didn't like when he first arrived at Inter, yet by the time he left Stankovic was getting regular game time under him. This idea that he gives up on players quick is a total myth.

Pretty much all your other points are false. Mourinho was given Sneijder, Eto'o, Lucio, Coutinho(although he scarpered before he arrived), Mariga, and Motta. Jose merely requested player's to strengthen certain positions.
You clearly don't have the slightest clue of the lengths Morrati went to get Mourinho to coach his team. Mourinho made it a POINT that he was the on in charge of all transfer deals. He told Morrati he either decided who came or went or he wasn't taking the job. This idea of yours that he '' merely requested players'' is just laughable in the extreme.

Mourinho was not the sole controller of transfer's, he may have had more power than Rafa has but he was still Nick Clegg to Branca's David Cameron.
Stop arguing about things your clearly don't know about mate. Branca was strictly under Mournho's instruction to act under Mourinho's orders with the explicit consent of Morrati.

Obi Mikel? The same Obi Mikel who only truly established himself at Chelsea two season's after Mourinho's departure?
Come on. Mourinho regularly used Obi Mikel even when everyone else thought he was a waste of time. Mourinho was one of his biggest fans. Quit trying to revise history.

He is the proof:
Mikel John Obi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You and kietotheworld hoping Fergie puts United first and slings his hook allowing for his specialness to takeover and lead us to glory? If yes, then you's are just ungrateful sods. If not, have a word with yourself and maybe look back at SAF's achievements in the game..
You are so ignorant its untrue. I'm not the one under rating top manager. It is you. I understand the value of SAF than you will ever fathom. But it doesn't make me blind to the fact there is another manager out there who's record is just as impressive in his far shorter time in the game.

You can also feck off with your notion that I want SAF to just make way for anyone.

The cow's analogy Fergie used last week could be applied here regarding the pining for Mourinho to come and rescue us from this plague of going one year without a title.
:rolleyes:

Drifter

American
UNITED LINE UP GUARDIOLA AS FERGIE'S SUCCESSOR
:smirk:

Ok, the glaring issue with this piece of gossip is that it's delivered by The Daily Star, and Barcelona have recent beef with the newspaper, but the bombshell on their backpage is that 'Manchester United have sounded out Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola about making a sensational switch to Old Trafford.'

Told ya it was a bombshell.

Holding their nerve, the Star continues:

'United officials have made contact with Guardiola's agent to see if he would be interested in leaving the Spanish giants at the end of the season.

'And Starsport understands that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has given the thumbs-up to his bosses that Guardiola is the ideal choice to replace him when he retires.

'Officials have spoken to the Spaniard's agent Josep Maria Orobitg, and have received encouraging signals that he would consider the shock move.'

One fact of note: Guardiola is only on a year-to-year contract with Barcelona.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
UNITED LINE UP GUARDIOLA AS FERGIE'S SUCCESSOR
:smirk:

Ok, the glaring issue with this piece of gossip is that it's delivered by The Daily Star, and Barcelona have recent beef with the newspaper, but the bombshell on their backpage is that 'Manchester United have sounded out Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola about making a sensational switch to Old Trafford.'

Told ya it was a bombshell.

Holding their nerve, the Star continues:

'United officials have made contact with Guardiola's agent to see if he would be interested in leaving the Spanish giants at the end of the season.

'And Starsport understands that Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has given the thumbs-up to his bosses that Guardiola is the ideal choice to replace him when he retires.

'Officials have spoken to the Spaniard's agent Josep Maria Orobitg, and have received encouraging signals that he would consider the shock move.'

One fact of note: Guardiola is only on a year-to-year contract with Barcelona.
I wouldn't mind either of the two - Guardiola or Mourinho. We could argue Mourinho is more defensive minded whereas Guardiola is more attack minded. But no doubt both of them are world class.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
SAF explicitly said not a young manager and has to be someone with experience. Both things rule Pep out.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I wouldn't mind either of the two - Guardiola or Mourinho. We could argue Mourinho is more defensive minded whereas Guardiola is more attack minded. But no doubt both of them are world class.
One very big difference is that Mourinho has proved to be a success at every club he has been. However, I like the philosophy of Pep and really think that would fit in with United very well

tintedsepia

SAF has NEVER said that he would like Mourinho to be the next United Manager.

Interestingly read an excerpt from Patrick Barclay's book "Football - Bloody Hell" in which he talks about SAF.

Football

He claims that what is driving SAF on is that although he won the Champions League in 99 playing largely scintillating football - in the final that scintillating football disappeared replaced by a "colourless, tactically incoherent performances notable only for the refusal of his players to be beaten". When we won again against Chelsea, again there was no sign of that scinitillating football - and that the one thing he wants to do is to win the CL again playing scintillating football in the Final.

Barclay goes on to argue that SAF is NOT a genius, like Mourinho or Clough.

If Barclay is right, I would say that SAF would want someone to take United on. Playing sterile football is not for united and would not take us on (Mourinho has an agenda on the United job at the moment - no doubt about that as he's criticised openly about our tactics, and then denied it!)

If this is correct I'd say he went for Guardiola above Mourinho but we'll see!

WireRed

You are so ignorant its untrue. I'm not the one under rating top manager. It is you. I understand the value of SAF than you will ever fathom. But it doesn't make me blind to the fact there is another manager out there who's record is just as impressive in his far shorter time in the game.

You can also feck off with your notion that I want SAF to just make way for anyone.

:rolleyes:
Touchy little mare, aren't you? :rolleyes: Just because I rate SAF as better than Mourinho doesn't mean I'm belittling Jose or under-rating him. I've already praised him many times and said if it was up to me, he'd be SAF's successor.

Lance Uppercut

Interestingly read an excerpt from Patrick Barclay's book "Football - Bloody Hell" in which he talks about SAF.

Football

He claims that what is driving SAF on is that although he won the Champions League in 99 playing largely scintillating football - in the final that scintillating football disappeared replaced by a "colourless, tactically incoherent performances notable only for the refusal of his players to be beaten". When we won again against Chelsea, again there was no sign of that scinitillating football - and that the one thing he wants to do is to win the CL again playing scintillating football in the Final.

If Barclay is right, I would say that SAF would want someone to take United on. Playing sterile football is not for united and would not take us on (Mourinho has an agenda on the United job at the moment - no doubt about that as he's criticised openly about our tactics, and then denied it!)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
One note that when he left Chelsea, it's not a sinking ship by any means, sure it got problem of it's own at that time, but nothing that can be classified as catastrophe.

I really believe it's more of internal dispute, besides, he already won two back to back the previous season, and the players are very much intact at that time. surely there's not enough ground to say he's leaving when the going gets tough?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

well... he won 2 EPL with a player he half wanted anyway.

phelans shorts

Football

If Barclay is right,
I would say that SAF would want someone to take United on. Playing sterile football is not for united and would not take us on (Mourinho has an agenda on the United job at the moment - no doubt about that as he's criticised openly about our tactics, and then denied it!)

Also with regards to the tactics watch a Real Madrid match, what is it now 14 in 3? Now that is fantastic attacking football.

kietotheworld

Football

That would explain his tactics in the Champions League Final of 2009, going toe-to-toe with Barcelona was never a good tactic, but if it had worked and we had won by a heavy margin, which was of course, a possibility, then he would have achieved that ambition. If we had gone out with more sensible tactics, tried to stifle the game, we would have had a better chance of winning, but a much lower chance of getting a heavy victory. I do wonder how much of this is simply being wise with hindsight though.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
That would explain his tactics in the Champions League Final of 2009, going toe-to-toe with Barcelona was never a good tactic, but if it had worked and we had won by a heavy margin, which was of course, a possibility, then he would have achieved that ambition. If we had gone out with more sensible tactics, tried to stifle the game, we would have had a better chance of winning, but a much lower chance of getting a heavy victory. I do wonder how much of this is simply being wise with hindsight though.
Its well known that SAF has employed very questionably defensive tactics in the past in European games. This unfortunatly has let to some very underpar looking performances, but some great away results. Notably recently in the away win vs valencia. It seems that in the 2009 final he went a big gung ho, but with the attacking talent at his disposal that night who could have blamed him. If he had have set up defensivly I feel we still would have been beaten that night by a better team who were totally at the top of their game and played some superb football. Dont forget that our main breaker in midfield was suspended that night, and so setting up defensivly without Fletch wouldnt be easy. Also going with all out attack with no-one to mind the back door also proved very costly. It seems to me that we were destined to lose that game from the moment Fletch got suspended in the semi.

Touchy little mare, aren't you? :rolleyes: .
You wish. I just don't take too kindly to folks misrepresenting my arguments.

Just because I rate SAF as better than Mourinho doesn't mean I'm belittling Jose or under-rating him. I've already praised him many times and said if it was up to me, he'd be SAF's successor.
You've already said him being up there with SAF is just ''Sky Sports and tabloid hype''. If that isn't belittling his achievements, the word has lost its meaning.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Football | Barclays Premier League | Fergie wants Pep to replace him | ESPNSTAR.com

Fergie wants Pep to replace him

Media sources are claiming that Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola will be Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United.

The reports suggest that Ferguson has recommended Guardiola because of his attacking style of play - and that the former Barca midfielder is close to accepting the offer to takeover from the Scot.

Guardiola is also understood by the Daily Mirror to have a rocky relationship with Barcelona's new president Sandro Rossell, something which has not helped smooth negotiations on his new contract.

Guardiola's contract expires next season.

The role of succeeding Ferguson at United has often been tipped to land at the footsteps of Jose Mourinho who took over the helm at Real Madrid in the summer.

However, a move for Guardiola now seems more plausible given the Spaniard's stalled contract negotiations and his attractive style of football. Influential United figure Sir Bobby Charlton has in the past publicly stated his distate for Mourinho's stiffling tactics while Barcelona's play has been lauded universally.

Ferguson will retire from United sooner rather than later and following his successful handling of the Wayne Rooney saga, he admitted that his successor would need be someone with a lot of experience.

The news comes despite Guardiola declaring in July, after signing a one-year deal extension, that he wanted to remain at Barcelona for the long-term.

"I'm very happy to continue for one more year," he said at the time.

"I want to keep on doing my job well and make people proud of us."

WireRed

You wish. I just don't take too kindly to folks misrepresenting my arguments.

You've already said him being up there with SAF is just ''Sky Sports and tabloid hype''. If that isn't belittling his achievements, the word has lost its meaning.
Mourinho is a great coach, and will rightly rank as one of the best ever when he packs in but come on, if you can't see how vastly overhyped he is by Sky and all the journo's who kiss his arse because of his easy headlines, then you're blind. For example, I heard Richard Keys say Mourinho is looking to retain HIS trophy this season...you'd think Inter were turd that he'd single handedly dragged to treble glory the way people go on. I also notice that the great Real Madrid have now become "Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid", how patronising especially when the club in question is considered by many to be the biggest in the world. When Inter KO'd Chelsea, Bayern and Barcelona last season, it wasn't a collective thing, no, no, no, it was all masterminded by the great Jose, yada, yada, yada :rolleyes:

Brilliant coach? Absolutely. But also overhyped by many? Absolutely again.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Mourinho is a great coach, and will rightly rank as one of the best ever when he packs in but come on, if you can't see how vastly overhyped he is by Sky and all the journo's who kiss his arse because of his easy headlines, then you're blind. For example, I heard Richard Keys say Mourinho is looking to retain HIS trophy this season...you'd think Inter were turd that he'd single handedly dragged to treble glory the way people go on. I also notice that the great Real Madrid have now become "Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid", how patronising especially when the club in question is considered by many to be the biggest in the world. When Inter KO'd Chelsea, Bayern and Barcelona last season, it wasn't a collective thing, no, no, no, it was all masterminded by the great Jose, yada, yada, yada :rolleyes:

Brilliant coach? Absolutely. But also overhyped by many? Absolutely again.
Team's are often referred to as their managers in that manner, it's not unique to Mourinho at Madrid. What an odd thing to get annoyed by.

WireRed

Team's are often referred to as their managers in that manner, it's not unique to Mourinho at Madrid. What an odd thing to get annoyed by.
Nowhere near as regularly. I've rarely if not ever heard the term "Alex Ferguson's United" or "Ancelotti's Chelsea" or "Pep Guardiola's Barca". Compare that to "Jose Mourinho's Porto", "Mourinho's Chelsea team", "Mourinho's Inter", and "Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid" and you can see how often his club's almost become a sideshow to the Mourinho wankathon.

He himself perpetuates this mentality with his words/actions ie.the attention grabbing celebration at OT, the spotlight stealing celebration at the Nou Camp last season, his crocodile tears and waving goodbye after winning the CL at the Bernabeu, his evasiveness on his future in the build up to Inter's first final in decades, the same with Porto, etc.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Nowhere near as regularly. I've rarely if not ever heard the term "Alex Ferguson's United" or "Ancelotti's Chelsea" or "Pep Guardiola's Barca". Compare that to "Jose Mourinho's Porto", "Mourinho's Chelsea team", "Mourinho's Inter", and "Jose Mourinho's Real Madrid" and you can see how often his club's almost become a sideshow to the Mourinho wankathon.

He himself perpetuates this mentality with his words/actions ie.the attention grabbing celebration at OT, the spotlight stealing celebration at the Nou Camp last season, his crocodile tears and waving goodbye after winning the CL at the Bernabeu, his evasiveness on his future in the build up to Inter's first final in decades, the same with Porto, etc.
Nah, team's are referred to like that all the time, on tv as much as anything. Just watch Soccer Saturday and you'll probably hear it about every team in the league.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Fergie wants Pep to replace him
Media sources are claiming that Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola will be Sir Alex Ferguson's successor at Manchester United.

The reports suggest that Ferguson has recommended Guardiola because of his attacking style of play - and that the former Barca midfielder is close to accepting the offer to takeover from the Scot.

Guardiola is also understood by the Daily Mirror to have a rocky relationship with Barcelona's new president Sandro Rossell, something which has not helped smooth negotiations on his new contract.

Guardiola's contract expires next season.

The role of succeeding Ferguson at United has often been tipped to land at the footsteps of Jose Mourinho who took over the helm at Real Madrid in the summer.

However, a move for Guardiola now seems more plausible given the Spaniard's stalled contract negotiations and his attractive style of football. Influential United figure Sir Bobby Charlton has in the past publicly stated his distate for Mourinho's stiffling tactics while Barcelona's play has been lauded universally.

Ferguson will retire from United sooner rather than later and following his successful handling of the Wayne Rooney saga, he admitted that his successor would need be someone with a lot of experience.

The news comes despite Guardiola declaring in July, after signing a one-year deal extension, that he wanted to remain at Barcelona for the long-term.

"I'm very happy to continue for one more year," he said at the time.

"I want to keep on doing my job well and make people proud of us."
So...a couple of days after Fergie says that any future manager of United will need to have had years of experience at the top end of football management ESPN write an article stating that Fergie wants Guardiola for the job.

A manager with just 3 yrs experience....:houllier:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well ESPN are just reporting that media sources are writing about it, which relates to the original Daily Star story further up this page.

kietotheworld

Its well known that SAF has employed very questionably defensive tactics in the past in European games. This unfortunatly has let to some very underpar looking performances, but some great away results. Notably recently in the away win vs valencia. It seems that in the 2009 final he went a big gung ho, but with the attacking talent at his disposal that night who could have blamed him. If he had have set up defensivly I feel we still would have been beaten that night by a better team who were totally at the top of their game and played some superb football. Dont forget that our main breaker in midfield was suspended that night, and so setting up defensivly without Fletch wouldnt be easy. Also going with all out attack with no-one to mind the back door also proved very costly. It seems to me that we were destined to lose that game from the moment Fletch got suspended in the semi.
We might well have been beaten, but we would have had a better chance if we hadn't gone in with such kamikaze tactics. I think the fact we didn't have Fletcher should have been a reason to play a more defensive game, not a more attacking one, in order to cover for his absence - I certainly wouldn't have started Ryan Giggs as a midfielder/second striker. In 2008 we beat them with a midfield of Carrick and Scholes when they had Xavi, Deco and Toure in midfield with Iniesta as a forward, hindsight's a wonderful advantage, but I think we definitely would have had a far better chance if we'd played those players again with Anderson in there as well, and played a much more defensive game.

I disagree with all the smoke that's been blown up Fletcher's arse ever since that Final anyway, he's neutralised some very good players in the past, but never anyone as good as Xavi or Iniesta, and certainly never played against an axis of the pair of them. I think if he'd played they'd have crucified him and he'd have been sent off or totally exhausted by half time.

Nah, team's are referred to like that all the time, on tv as much as anything. Just watch Soccer Saturday and you'll probably hear it about every team in the league.
I reckon he's right about this. When Inter won the Champions League all the news reports talked about Mourinho winning the Champions League, when United won it in 2008, Ferguson was mentioned, but not to the same extent as Mourinho, when Barcelona won in 2009, people didn't talk about Guardiola to the same extent as Mourinho. I don't see it as an important factor on whether he's a good manager or not though.

Irwinwastheking

@ kietotheworld. As for your comment of blowing smoke up Fletchs arse since the final, thats not really when it started. All that season he was being regarded by some as our most important CM. That is a bit ridiculous, your right. Also about if he had have played against Xavi and Iniesta that night, the way they played we still would have beat. We could have had Keane himself patroling that night and he might have been made look like a chump. Those 2 in particular had a near perfect game and where pretty unstopable. Barca deserved to win.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
@ kietotheworld. As for your comment of blowing smoke up Fletchs arse since the final, thats not really when it started. All that season he was being regarded by some as our most important CM. That is a bit ridiculous, your right. Also about if he had have played against Xavi and Iniesta that night, the way they played we still would have beat. We could have had Keane himself patroling that night and he might have been made look like a chump. Those 2 in particular had a near perfect game and where pretty unstopable. Barca deserved to win.
You can't know this for sure, during the whole of that season we were incredibly reliant on Fletcher (we still are in my opinion) and whenever he was absent our play became disjointed. Xavi and Iniesta had such a good game because they were allowed to dwell on the ball by an abject midfield display.

Drifter

American
Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has hinted his time in Spain could be short.

The Portuguese, who made his name as a top coach by guiding Porto to 2004 Champions League glory before moving to England and enjoying a successful stint as Chelsea boss, leading the Blues to two Premier League titles.

He moved to Madrid in the summer after guiding Inter Milan to an unprecedented treble of Serie A, Coppa Italia and Champions League glory, and believes working in Spain is all the more difficult because of an ever-present need to win.

He told the club's website: "Staying on with a great club for such a long time is hard in the culture in which we live.

"It is much easier in England. There you find people who stay on for years having not won a thing.

"It is hard here because the need to win is always present. If I stay for four years it means I have done things right and that we are all happy, and I would be thrilled to continue."

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Mourinho told the Madrid press, "Give me 4 years - I'll give you a great team." They didn't actually laugh but they did shuffle awkwardly and giggle a bit.

He's proved himself as a man who can get the best out of whoever can win him things this year. He seems to envy Wenger, for being allowed to just stop winning things. But he respects Ferguson for being the man who can make a this year team, and a ready in 3 years time team, and who can win cups during the transitions.

He got the best out of OK players in Portugal, good ones on the verge of great at Chelsea and Inter. At Madrid he's going to try to turn great prospects (like Ozil, Canales, Di Maria and even Marcelo) into great players and to show he can get the best out of an oddity like Ronaldo without killing him. He's even been to some reserve team games, the first Madrid manager to do so in years apparently. I reckon it's his audition for United.

Of course, even if he passes the audition, it may not work out. Timing, money, and philosophy may get in the way. Great manager though - whether he comes to us or not.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Guardiola's an interesting one, I can certainly imagine us approaching him. A team manager, disciplined, and very dignified in victory - we haven't really seen in him in defeat yet.

But the bottom line is that he's got two years experience managing somebody else's team. He had to clear a few players out, so he's got nerve. But his buys haven't been anything to write home about - even if Villa works, it was hardly a leap of faith or vision. If Mourinho has gaps in his CV particularly in terms of longevity and youth development then so has Guardiola. He just seems like a nicer chap :D

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He offers the most logical choice for our esteemed owners -- who need a manager who offers the lowest risk for a financially high risky/precarious club.

He would be a no-brainer of a manager even at 10million quid per season -- for someone who's measured on "what have you done for me lately" mentality, he has gone through the ringer and back.

This decision will be the case of financial needs = football success will trump over whatever footballing style Mourinho brings onto the table.

Irwinwastheking

You can't know this for sure, during the whole of that season we were incredibly reliant on Fletcher (we still are in my opinion) and whenever he was absent our play became disjointed. Xavi and Iniesta had such a good game because they were allowed to dwell on the ball by an abject midfield display.
Fair enough point. Just trying to remember did anyone really kick them that night?? I suppose Fletch would have put one of them up in the air properly if he was there. That certainly would have made them rush their passes a wee bit.

Still think they would have been to good though.

kietotheworld

Ah yeah, he was definitely pretty highly rated before that Final, but after it he was elevated to being seemingly beyond criticism. People spoke as though we definitely would have won without his suspension, and with it we had no chance. Personally I reckon if he'd played and we'd gone with similar tactics he'd have been either subbed off through exhaustion or sent off by half time and we'd have lost 4-0 but we'll never know. Fletcher's a good player, but we could have won without him.

"It is much easier in England. There you find people who stay on for years having not won a thing.
He hates Wenger doesn't he!

Status
Not open for further replies.