Man Utd board warming to Inter Milan boss Mourinho

Who should replace SAF after he retires ?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 270 58.1%
  • Laurent Blanc

Votes: 61 13.1%
  • Steve Bruce

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Roy Keane

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Votes: 25 5.4%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 10 2.2%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Arsene Wenger

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Mark Hughes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • Gus Hiddink

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Ottmar Hitzfeld

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Eric Cantona

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • Alec McCleish

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Frank Rijkaard

• Louis Van Gaal

• Mike Phelan

• Carlos Quieroz

• Dick Advocaat

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Harry Redknapp

• Marcello Lippi

• Martin O'Neill

Votes: 19 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 5225

In case he hadn’t made it obvious enough, Jose Mourinho has again hinted that he would be interested in replacing Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager.

“Football without Alex Ferguson? I’m not sure that will happen any day soon,” said Mourinho. “The man lives and breathes football and Manchester United is his club. His hunger and desire to win the biggest trophies remains so I cannot see the day he considers walking away from football approaching. Like Real Madrid, the Manchester United job is special and only a *special manager is good enough to take the job on if and when it does become available. Of course, jobs like that don’t *become available every day so the interest will be vast. Like Madrid, it’s a job everyone will want.”

Mourinho: United Job Is A Special One For A Special Manager

Woodzy

If he wants it when it's available let him have it. Just make sure it's for the long term and it puts an end to his club hopping. Having a great manager is no good to us if we have to find another one 3 or 4 years later.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Football | Barclays Premier League | Mourinho can't see Fergie walking | ESPNSTAR.com

Jose Mourinho maintained that “only a special manager” can succeed Sir Alex Ferguson when the supremo finally steps down.

The decorated Manchester United manager will turn 69 in December and rumours as to whom his successor will be when he finally quits have been swirling around for years.

Despite the likes of Barcelona incumbent Pep Guardiola and Everton boss David Moyes mooted as potential candidates in several quarters, Real chief Mourinho is adamant that Ferguson will not turn his back on the Red Devils anytime soon.

According to reports in The Mirror, Mourinho said: "Football without Alex Ferguson? I'm not sure that will happen any day soon,"

"The man lives and breathes football and Manchester United is his club."

"His hunger and desire to win the biggest trophies remains so I cannot see the day he considers walking away from football approaching."

"Like Real Madrid, the Manchester United job is special and only a *special manager is good enough to take the job on if and when it does become available."

"Of course, jobs like that don't *become available every day so the interest will be vast."

"Like Madrid, it's a job everyone will want."

Sir Alex's prodigy Wayne Rooney recently garnered all the headlines when he dropped a bombshell by stating his desire to leave the club before performing a remarkable u-turn and signing a new five year deal after talks with his mentor.

Nevertheless, despite the Madrid giants being linked with United sensation Rooney in the immediate aftermath of his announcement to leave the club, Mourinho insisted that he never envisaged the forward jumping ship.

He opined:"Could I ever see him leaving? Never."

"He is Manchester United through and through and he is working with one of the best coaches in football."

"He's a great player but he belongs to United. I wasn't surprised to see him stay, I expected it."

"There was no way Alex Ferguson would have considered selling him, not to anyone."

"If you take the decision to leave a club like United, there are not many options open to you. Few clubs come any bigger."

Focusing on his current task at hand, the former Chelsea and Inter Milan coach reiterated his desire to continue his winning mentality with his new Spanish employers.

"Madrid is a special club and came to me at special time in my career," he commented.

"After winning my second Champions League and after my *success at Chelsea and Inter, the Real job and the challenge to be successful was very *appealing."

"I came to a team that had had no success for two years and faced the challenge of a very special Barcelona team and some of the great clubs in Europe in the Champions League.

"Despite everything and all the success I have enjoyed, my desire to continue winning remains."

"I love a challenge and this is a huge challenge for me."

"Madrid didn't win the Champions league for 10 years, the Spanish Cup for 19 years and haven't won the Championship for three."

"So there is a great deal of work to be done. I love the pressure and that is immediate at a club like this because failure doesn't sit comfortably with anyone."

Despite achieving glory in every club he has trained, the Portuguese master countered that his hunger and enthusiasm for coaching has not waned one bit and is keen to stay in management for at least another 15 years.

"I still have at least 10 or 15 years left in football management," he said.

"Naturally a day will come when my circumstances change and I will want to lead a quieter life."

"But it is not something I will be giving any consideration too for a long time to come."

The Real Madrid boss will next take his side to San Siro to face off against Serie A giants AC Milan in their UEFA Champions League mid-week clash.
This interview just makes me like him even more.

Member 5225

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has said his next step in management will be a return to the Premier League.

The Portuguese is currently coach of Spanish side Real Madrid but admitted that, while he is happy there, his "passion is in England".

Speaking to Lord Coe, who was guest editing BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Boxing Day, Mourinho added: "My next step will be to go back [to England]."

He then joked with Coe: "Get me a club in a couple of years."

Mourinho, who left Chelsea in 2007 after winning two Premier League titles, the FA Cup and League Cup, went on to win the treble of Champions League, Italian league and cup with Inter Milan before moving to Madrid in 2010.

He has guided the club to the top of the Primera Division, three points clear of Barcelona going into the winter break.

"I believe it is probably the biggest club in the history of football, I didn't want to miss the chance to work here," said Mourinho of Real Madrid.

"But my next step will be to go back [to England] if possible and stay for a long time."

Mourinho has long been linked with a move to Manchester United when Sir Alex Ferguson retires.

In July 2009, while manager of Inter, Mourinho said: "I would consider going to Manchester United but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson. If they do, then of course."

However, earlier this year, Ferguson said: "It's difficult for me to say when my position will be available. It will be my health that decides. I will continue until I no longer feel the energy that has always accompanied me."

BBC Sport - Jose Mourinho eyes return to Premier League management

Member 5225

Just an interesting thread. Maybe a bump might be frowned, but perhaps for the Classics?

Ringo 07

Just an interesting thread. Maybe a bump might be frowned, but perhaps for the Classics?
Mourinho is not the only great manager out there...it's just when you appoint a mid-table spoofer instead of going for the best to try and save money then you are asking for trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.