Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

The DoF rumors died out for so long I genuinely thought it was some smokescreen by Woodward to deflect from current troubles. Now we are getting briefings that Jose was resisting the appointment and so it had stalled.

Jose was really holding back the club for his selfish reasons. Full control for the manager belongs to the Jurassic era.

manichester

If modern coaches/managers are used to working with a D.O.F. it would be stupid of us not to have one when we appoint the new guy.

Is our system as it is working at present? Judging by recent transfers it is not.

If Jose was blocking this then another reason for him to go now.

Lam

Successful clubs have always had dual power centers (SAF, Wenger, etc. are outliers which happen once in 25-30 years). I hope we move towards that and if by some luck we stumble on to the next SAF, then we can always change the structure.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The brief said it would be like replacing our 5th defender with another 5th defender. I don't think it would have made any difference to the shite season, but Ed did have opinion when it comes to transfers. He didn't saction deals blindly because they are available. He refused to pay for Morata to go and pay exacty the same on Lukaku, again not that it was wrong or right but he had opinion from football side too. How would DOF enjoy being told that ? He won't the manager to ask to just coach the players. If he feels his football opinions aren't appreciated he will simply leave.
What you fail to realise is that the club has a whole network of scouts and head scouts including Bout and Ribelta (who has now left).

One Woodward wasn't prepared to pay the price being asked for Maguire or Mina (financial feasibility)
Two the head scouts obviously would have given their assessment of said players.(player assessments)
It is not Woodward sitting there making all the decisions by himself.

On the bolded part, well given that is the structure we are moving too then its right hes gone. Because he was pretty much given free reign to sign players the first 2 seasons and it didn't go well.

Eric's Seagull

he had opinion from football side too. How would DOF enjoy being told that ? He won't the manager to ask to just coach the players. If he feels his football opinions aren't appreciated he will simply leave.
Agree on this he should not have an opinion on the football side, he should just stick to what he is good at. I totally agree with the part in bold mate and fear that he is going to try to to influence the DoF, which will make him seem undermined and want to go. This is one of our most important appointments not only does Woody need to get it right, he needs to keep his nose out of the football side and let the new guy get on with his job to get us challenging for top honours once again. Woody should let the new guy get in whoever he wants and screw how much it costs and do whatever it takes financially to get us where we should be. He should also be allowed to bring in whatever staff he feels he needs to get us there even it means making up job titles for them.

Heymrtangerineman

Hopefully all part of the massive reboot this club needs. As an aside, I don't think Woodward can afford another failure (and the club can't either) so I expect the new regime, whatever and whoever it is, to be hugely backed to get us back to where we need to be. For us that's competing and winning trophies. For the money men that's protecting their asset and ensuring we do not slide any further, which surely eventually will cost them more in the long run.

Okey

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Not exonorating him but Jason Burt sheds some light at what has been happening to the club. Would recommend you watch all of it.
His mistakes were made well before this summer.
He has his faults but he employed one hell of a manager.

Smores

There's no excuse now not to get one in place pronto. We must have done a fair bit of leg work if we end up delaying this til July/August we're idiots

Ranchero

My understanding was that the reason we did not hire a director of football was because Mourinho was not happy with it. Now he has gone, they can go ahead with the appointment. Eventually!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not exonorating him but Jason Burt sheds some light at what has been happening to the club. Would recommend you watch all of it.
His mistakes were made well before this summer.
He has his faults but he employed one hell of a manager.
Watched it and it's good. Burt was spot on and called out all the rubbish Jose fed to the media.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Moriarty

I don't know why so many fans seem to want a sentimental appointment here. That would be an absolute disaster. Whoever we get has to be highly experienced and with proven (top level) quality.
You mean the sort of manager David Gill said all those years ago that United were planning to appoint when Fergie retired?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is the difference between a DoF and a Technical Director?
None, it's just a name. Technical director is the generic name while DoF is the one specifically used in football. The actual details of the role depends on the club and its structure.

Deleted member 101472

Henrik Larsson should be all over his application for this position

JPRouve

Scout
Watched it and it's good. Burt was spot on and called out all the rubbish Jose fed to the media.
I don't get how some didn't see it. You don't even need to listen to Burt, Mourinho himself has described the way he works on transfers in order to blame Woodward when he thought that the players weren't signed quickly enough, he is the one who told us that he identified the players and that the rest wasn't his problem. Then suddenly the players weren't his choice, at Chelsea he described Pogba has the Eiffel Tower, he said that every team in the world wants Pogba but after 24 months coaching him, he leaks that he didn't want him. Mourinho is a liar, simply because he can't keep the same story.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't get how some didn't see it. You don't even need to listen to Burt, Mourinho himself has described the way he works on transfers in order to blame Woodward when he thought that the players weren't signed quickly enough, he is the one who told us that he identified the players and that the rest wasn't his problem. Then suddenly the players weren't his choice, at Chelsea he described Pogba has the Eiffel Tower, he said that every team in the world wants Pogba but after 24 months coaching him, he leaks that he didn't want him. Mourinho is a liar, simply because he can't keep the same story.
I know JP, I even argued the same points. How Jose's mouth piece Duncan wrote that Fred and Lindelof were top of his list and somehow they weren't his choices when they didn't play well.

I agree, Jose is a liar. Clearest case is what he said about Salah, that he didn't want to sell Salah. When they sold, Jose said he don't see Salah in his plans and it's better if he leaves.

Masterman

People being dismayed at the DOF having to report to Woodward, his superior, is textbook Redcafe nonsense.
Woodward should not be the superior of any DoF. He is a banker, not a football man, and he should have little influence in the footballing side of the club. If the Glazers don't set out to protect the DoF from Woodward's meddling then any DoF is doomed to fail. Woodward knows nothing about signing players the club needs.

Cassidy

Woodward should not be the superior of any DoF. He is a banker, not a football man, and he should have little influence in the footballing side of the club. If the Glazers don't set out to protect the DoF from Woodward's meddling then any DoF is doomed to fail. Woodward knows nothing about signing players the club needs.
So you don't think a DOF needs money to spend? Woodward would set the budget that the DoF has to work within, its not rocket science.

JPRouve

Scout
So you don't think a DOF needs money to spend? Woodward would set the budget that the DoF has to work within, its not rocket science.
And in general is a ridicule angle. Berta and Sarri were bankers, one is a DOF and the other a PL manager. People can understand more than one thing and it's been said multiple times, Woodward doesn't meddle, you have Burt confirming it once again on this very page.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I can't believe adults somehow believe Woodward 'meddles' with the football side of our club. He doesn't. It's complete nonsense.

macheda14

One of Class of 92 members would be pure perfection for this job.
no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no.no. None of them have the experience. One thing I completely agree with Gary Neville about is we have to get the best in show for this position. Proven pedigree at running the football side of operations at a top club.

Kapardin

I can't believe adults somehow believe Woodward 'meddles' with the football side of our club. He doesn't. It's complete nonsense.
He doesn't meddle. He actually is our football side which is a part of the problem.

One of the Class of 92 members would be pure perfection for this job.
Nah, too romantic an option, Casanova.:D

In all seriousness, we need a proven DoF with a decent track record. Class of 92 have no credentials to show they can identify prospects. No more mistakes, we can't afford them.

Moriarty

@InLevyITrust suggested that Pochettino doesn't want to work with a DoF. So how will things play out in that regard if we appoint one then try and lure Pochettino here to work in a system he doesn't care for? I know this is all ifs and buts, but the club must have some idea who they want as manager next season.

Cassidy

@InLevyITrust suggested that Pochettino doesn't want to work with a DoF. So how will things play out in that regard if we appoint one then try and lure Pochettino here to work in a system he doesn't care for? I know this is all ifs and buts, but the club must have some idea who they want as manager next season.
Hasn't he worked with Paul Mitchell before?

Status
Not open for further replies.