Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
@InLevyITrust suggested that Pochettino doesn't want to work with a DoF. So how will things play out in that regard if we appoint one then try and lure Pochettino here to work in a system he doesn't care for? I know this is all ifs and buts, but the club must have some idea who they want as manager next season.
Hasn't he worked with Paul Mitchell before?
He wasn’t a DOF with us though, he was basically a head scout, Poch joined us as a head coach and it notable that he is now manager of Tottenham.

Loony BoB

People being dismayed at the DOF having to report to Woodward, his superior, is textbook Redcafe nonsense.
Very much this. This kind of hierarchy is completely normal and that is what we need right now, something that other managers around the world are familiar with and understand well.

Rocknrolla69er

Interesting that Morratta has just taken the sporting director job at Inter as I had an inkling he could of teamed up with Allegri at United, with Morratta coming first then Allegri end of the season the timing would of been right but guess not.

I’m wondering if we’l pay the rumoured £40m to prise Poch away from Spurs I cant see it after the Mourinho pay off, my head tells me it will be Allegri at the end of the season, ive had a look through the article I’ve linked and there’s some interesting names amongst it, I’m narrowing it down to 3 but I could be way off Berta, Monchi or Rangnick from Leipzig

Interesting that Woodward wanted Berta but then it went quiet I think due to Mourinho rebelling against the idea

https://www.squawka.com/en/news/fro...football-right-now/968453#lslFw5ireb0YbXVx.97

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mike Keegan reported afew months back that Marcel Bout would be considered for the role too along with the usual suspects.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
he will also likely be retiring at the end of his latest contract which he signed last year.

He is Dortmund born and bred, he isn't going anywhere. He's been with the club his whole adult life (and a few years before)!
I only shared this due to it being a good read regards a DoF. But what stood out for me in the article was how highly Zorc thought of Monchi who is currently at Roma.

Dreaded

Interesting that Morratta has just taken the sporting director job at Inter as I had an inkling he could of teamed up with Allegri at United, with Morratta coming first then Allegri end of the season the timing would of been right but guess not.

I’m wondering if we’l pay the rumoured £40m to prise Poch away from Spurs I cant see it after the Mourinho pay off, my head tells me it will be Allegri at the end of the season, ive had a look through the article I’ve linked and there’s some interesting names amongst it, I’m narrowing it down to 3 but I could be way off bertra, monchi or ragnick from Leipzig

https://www.squawka.com/en/news/fro...football-right-now/968453#lslFw5ireb0YbXVx.97

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm more excited about who gets this role than our next manager in the summer.

Really hope this person doesn't get hired late in April/May. I want someone by February so that they can be given a shortlist of managers who will be interviewed/approached, so they can plan in advance a list of transfer targets ahead of the summer that would suit the incoming manager that we'll be hiring.

I have no experience of making these decisions, but even I can see that this is what needs to be done. This summer is massive because it finally looks as if we're trying to go back to our roots rather than simply "fix the cracks and get us back to where we were!" attempts. Get a good plan in place ahead of the new manager and let's build from there.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I only shared this due to it being a good read regards a DoF. But what stood out for me in the article was how highly Zorc thought of Monchi who is currently at Roma.
That's cool!

Funnily enough, or not funnily, whichever way you look at it! Zorc was under a bit of pressure a decade ago. When Dortmund where languishing mid table and hadn't been in European competition for a while and almost went into bankruptcy, things where not sweetness and light, but then Dortmund employed Jürgen Klopp, and things changed, in a big way.

He is a great sporting director though, one of the best, but I think it sort of shows that it's all about the collective. A good sporting director is only as good as his coach, and the other way round too to an extent. We saw at Dortmund how quickly things change when Tuchel arrived, and all of a sudden there was disagreements about players, and what direction to take with squad building, which saw our transfer dealings go a bit haywire for a couple windows. Now it's back in an even keel again.

fellaini's barber

Who trust Woodward to get this right?

I trust him to get the sponsorships but getting the right people? :confused:
Should we hire someone else to hire a DOF because you don't 'trust' Woodward to do it or something? Who do 'trust' to do this mighty task at the club then?

fellaini's barber

People being dismayed at the DOF having to report to Woodward, his superior, is textbook Redcafe nonsense.

I can't believe adults somehow believe Woodward 'meddles' with the football side of our club. He doesn't. It's complete nonsense.
People just need someone else or some other explanation to rationalise why their favorite manager is failing. Most of it just sticks. Now people even want us to have Saudi owners just to get away from the evil Woodward

Chairman Steve

You can’t really determine how good a person could be at carrying out a DoF. Pretty sure there’s DoFs out there that didn’t even play football at professional level and do wonders. Pretty sure Berta of A. Madrid was a banker by trade before getting into it.

The best qualities they could have is ability to create and maintain principles, be influential and persuasive, a good connector between the board and the football team... then it branches off after that. Some are good at identifying good youth prospects, some can determine unknown foreign quantities, some can just be good negotiators by selling quality for high and buying quality for low.

RooneyLegend

People just need someone else or some other explanation to rationalise why their favorite manager is failing. Most of it just sticks. Now people even want us to have Saudi owners just to get away from the evil Woodward
It's quite comical really. All we can blame Woodward for is hiring the wrong managers and not getting rid of them quickly enough when they were failing.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
It's quite comical really. All we can blame Woodward for is hiring the wrong managers and not getting rid of them quickly enough when they were failing.
That's a big culpability to be honest even if you believe that alone.

Zoo

Good article including some info on Paul Mitchell.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Good article including some info on Paul Mitchell.
Was just about to post this!

Liked this bit a lot: "It is said that if Mitchell is confident of a promising prospect coming through a club's academy, he won't sign an established player to potentially block their route to the first team".

RooneyLegend

That's a big culpability to be honest even if you believe that alone.
True. What im saying is that we should blame him for the mistake he's made to cause this mess instead of all these false claims. Diagnosing what's wrong is important in us finding the right solutions that will have us heading in the right direction.

An Irish Red

Liked this bit a lot: "It is said that if Mitchell is confident of a promising prospect coming through a club's academy, he won't sign an established player to potentially block their route to the first team".
That would mean that if he rated Chong he wouldn't sign a right winger; and we couldn't afford to that. Having faith in the academy is great and all but the first team is the priority.

deafepl

That would mean that if he rated Chong he wouldn't sign a right winger; and we couldn't afford to that. Having faith in the academy is great and all but the first team is the priority.
Winger often subbed in 70-80 minutes, if we get RW who is probably 27 years old or more, could be great for Chong and Greenwood's development when they get sub minutes, ready to take over RW as soon as they reach 21-22.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Or just play Chong if he rated him like that. Or play Sanchez there until Chong is ready

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Winger often subbed in 70-80 minutes, if we get RW who is probably 27 years old or more, could be great for Chong and Greenwood's development when they get sub minutes, ready to take over RW as soon as they reach 21-22.
Yeah I read it as not buying another young talented prospect. So you could rule out someone like Ousmane Dembele

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, it means that he would sign a right winger that will fit a time frame that will allow Chong to get into the team. For example if you have a 19 years old winger, it's best to sign someone in his late 20s than its early 20s.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
it's that kind of short sightedness that's got us in this position. It would be refreshing for the club to have a long term strategy rather than the scatter gun approach we've had over the last 7 years

Besides you hear other big clubs neglect signing players in a certain position because they know they have a cert in their academy all the time

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Even then do people really believe it's just his own choice? We have a board with SAF and Charlton on to say the least
He's the man in charge and so it goes on his record that he hired 3 managers that played crap football, wasted a ton of money and had no coherent plan in the last 6 years.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
it's that kind of short sightedness that's got us in this position. It would be refreshing for the club to have a long term strategy rather than the scatter gun approach we've had over the last 7 years

Besides you hear other big clubs neglect signing players in a certain position because they know they have a cert in their academy all the time
I do not recall that ever happening.

An Irish Red

There's nothing short-sighted about improving a position currently held by Lingard, it's a necessity.

It's possible that Chong will be a great player (and I certainly hope that he will be) but that's (most likely) years away, if ever, and the club can't afford to wait around. If he's good enough he'll make it.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There's nothing short-sighted about improving a position currently held by Lingard, it's a necessity.

It's possible that Chong will be a great player (and I certainly hope that he will be) but that's (most likely) years away, if ever, and the club can't afford to wait around. If he's good enough he'll make it.
If we go and spend 80m on a right winger whether Chong is good enough becomes irrelevant, he's only ever going to then get a game if that 80m right winger flops

RooneyLegend

More like he wouldn't fill the squad with players. The young player could be a second choice.
Exactly. Also play when the incumbent is injured.
Yeah I read it as not buying another young talented prospect. So you could rule out someone like Ousmane Dembele
Exactly
Even then do people really believe it's just his own choice? We have a board with SAF and Charlton on to say the least
Felt Jose was gone the moment I saw Sir Bobby Charlton with Ed.

cheeky_backheel

If we go and spend 80m on a right winger whether Chong is good enough becomes irrelevant, he's only ever going to then get a game if that 80m right winger flops
if chong develops to the required level, then the winger can be sold but not buying what the team needs on the basis of a youth prospect is a recipe for mediocrity and failure.

the chameleon

I think ed definitely reads this forum. Or he has important advisors who do read here. Just based on the press releases etc.

He’s obviously doing media releases reassuring us about getting a more attacking manager.

He even listened to 66% of the people here and gave them mourinho.

I bet you he’s looking at the next manager forum.

Based on this note, we should also do poll on here for the next director of football.

What do you people think. Though, I’m not sure I can trust 66% of you, because you all voted mourinho as our next manger in 2016

fellaini's barber

Probably have a better record than Woody has done.
Probably have a better record than Woody has done.
A big club who have not signed up to 3 shit managers? Personally my main issue with him is keeping his failed managers for far too long. If he was more proactive we'd have hired more than 3 managers by now and hopefully got us more success,he deserves all the criticism he gets for that

RooneyLegend

And I'm all for that, that's where he should be frankly. I'm not for us opting not to sign players and just relying on Chong and Lingard on that right side though.
That's crazy talk. The obvious plan is sell Lingard, buy a quality first option. The issue is though, we have no business filling our squad with expensive squad options when we have the quality coming through. For example, we have lots of pricy midfielders who are barely better players than Peirera.

Status
Not open for further replies.