Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He's said he's not experienced enough and doesn't want the job. Also that its a shambles hiring ex players for technical roles if you watch his full MNF rant!
I'd agree in general but I think Nev is too clued up to ignore. I suppose he doesn't have the European reach some of these big DOF's have but seeing as we're starting with an inexperienced manager we might as well nurture Neville in a directors role too.

Anyway, it needs sorting ASAP.

Phil Osophy

I don't care at the moment who's the one appointed, because in any case their abilities to perform that role are unknown. The key is that finally there will be a football person reading the situation, being able to draw a strategy, and then planning and offering solutions. I guess Woodward will have the final word and I'm not sure about potential interferences, but at least he's not the one orchestrating everything which is something to celebrate.

With the rumours about Phelan, Rio and Fletcher it seems to me that we're bringing back the 'Fergie boys' to make their thing. I'm not saying SAF will be ruling in the shadows or he's aiming for power, but I have the feeling that his influence is being determinant in this process and probably the 'football board', which was ignored before appointing Mourinho is having a say now.

Because I give it zero chances at Woodward or the Glazers suggesting Solskjaer as interim, so probably the same who suggested him in the first place is the one behind the movement. I don't mean it in a negative way, but it's strange that Woodward and the Glazers are so keen suddenly on the United way, the good old days when they sold our soul to the devil without blinkering in the last years.

I don't expect miracles with this and everything being perfect, but at least I hope there's some values and the football culture back at the club's offices. If this is a small or big step forward we'll see it with time, but the joke of Ed Woodward being the architect of Manchester United needed to end with urgency.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

I'd agree in general but I think Nev is too clued up to ignore. I suppose he doesn't have the European reach some of these big DOF's have but seeing as we're starting with an inexperienced manager we might as well nurture Neville in a directors role too.

Reason why I wouldn't like Neville is because he seems to let his emotions get the best of him. He didn't like Pogba having blue hair just because of the Manchester Derby. This, despite Pogba having that for 2 weeks already. It's pretty much irrelevant to anything on the pitch. Anyone being objective would never bring up something as insignificant as that. Plus, why would Neville inspire confidence in sacking a manager should the manager not be doing well? He has a clear bias.

Infra-red

Neville said he wouldn't take the job because doesn't believe he is anywhere near qualified for it. He argues that United should hire the best DoF they can get their hands on, someone with lots of experience in the role and proven track record of success.

Sing you a song

It might show us that he's not a spineless, flaccid slab of corporate mush if he does that. Shows that he's putting the club before his own pride. And who fecking cares if the players he's bashed don't like the appointment, what he's said is completely true and they should listen.
Totally agree mate and in terms of ex players he would be my preferred/ only choice .He loves the club, has fantastic football knowledge,has done a great job with Salford and is a successful business man .
Just can’t see Woodward having the balls to bring him in

pascell

This is a great example of why we need a director of football to decided it doesn’t matter how old Dalot is, AWB is a clear upgrade and improves the quality of the side. Wait on Dalot for what exactly so we can moan in 5 years he’s not at the level of AWB playing for Man City.
Meunier is a clear upgrade on Ashley Young and experienced so gives Dalot time to develope without any pressure. Why spend £50m on a young RB when we have one already, who was regarded as the best talent coming from their home country when we signed them? We also have young FBs coming through our academy and having 2 young RBs already would block their path to the first team.

Meunier for £25-30m this summer makes more sense as it's £20-25m more to spend in other areas than if we signed AWB for £50m.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Totally agree mate and in terms of ex players he would be my preferred/ only choice .He loves the club, has fantastic football knowledge,has done a great job with Salford and is a successful business man .
Just can’t see Woodward having the balls to bring him in
I mean others are right, there's certainly better candidates out there - but considering we've never had a DoF and the state we're in, I think Neville would be an excellent starting point that we could actually acquire.

Mainoldo

Meunier is a clear upgrade on Ashley Young and experienced so gives Dalot time to develope without any pressure. Why spend £50m on a young RB when we have one already, who was regarded as the best talent coming from their home country when we signed them? We also have young FBs coming through our academy and having 2 young RBs already would block their path to the first team.

Meunier for £25-30m this summer makes more sense as it's £20-25m more to spend in other areas than if we signed AWB for £50m.
Meunier has spent 2 years scratching his arse in the French league. AWB is already one for the best defensive RB in the league and better than Dalot. Yes we can develop him but we can also develop a better player in AWB. Highly rated RB by who exactly? Dalot is still very inexperienced and I actually think his development is better served at RW. More areas need developing I agree. But to me the fullbacks are the most important position. Along with your forwards in modern day football. If you want to play a certain style.

dove

Meunier has spent 2 years scratching his arse in the French league. AWB is already one for the best defensive RB in the league and better than Dalot. Yes we can develop him but we can also develop a better player in AWB. Highly rated RB by who exactly? Dalot is still very inexperienced and I actually think his development is better served at RW. More areas need developing I agree. But to me the fullbacks are the most important position. Along with your forwards in modern day football. If you want to play a certain style.
My worry is that AWB is very average with the ball. Combine it with Shaw and our fullbacks are very much useless going forward. I think we should opt for someone with more attacking ability for RB, Meunier would be more sensible buy IMO.

pascell

Brilliant, good for him, he's still an upgrade on Young. Yes he might be better than Dalot but Dalot has the higher potential ceiling imo, sort out him defensive qualities and we have a world class RB there. Highly rated by all our Portugese friends on the Caf, who all said at the time he's a bargain at £19m. It's telling that Porto weren't fussed about selling Pereira to Leicester as they had Dalot who could come in and had better potential also, he also won the u17s Euro championship with Portugal in 2016.

Mainoldo

Brilliant, good for him, he's still an upgrade on Young. Yes he might be better than Dalot but Dalot has the higher potential ceiling imo, sort out him defensive qualities and we have a world class RB there. Highly rated by all our Portugese friends on the Caf, who all said at the time he's a bargain at £19m. It's telling that Porto weren't fussed about selling Pereira to Leicester as they had Dalot who could come in and had better potential also, he also won the u17s Euro championship with Portugal in 2016.
So why did they sell Dalot? They obviously wasn’t to fussed about the replacement either.

Mainoldo

My worry is that AWB is very average with the ball. Combine it with Shaw and our fullbacks are very much useless going forward. I think we should opt for someone with more attacking ability for RB, Meunier would be more sensible buy IMO.
Yeah only real question I have is his attacking qualities.. he doesn’t look tricky enough even though apparently he was a winger. But there is a lot more to improve on him that Dalot in my honest opinion. But like we seem to always do. We can waste our time and find out.

Revaulx

Reason why I wouldn't like Neville is because he seems to let his emotions get the best of him. He didn't like Pogba having blue hair just because of the Manchester Derby. This, despite Pogba having that for 2 weeks already. It's pretty much irrelevant to anything on the pitch. Anyone being objective would never bring up something as insignificant as that. Plus, why would Neville inspire confidence in sacking a manager should the manager not be doing well? He has a clear bias.
Yes I agree. I haven’t seen or heard a lot of Fletcher but he does seem reasonably dispassionate and objective.

Also I think it helps that he’s spent some time away from United getting his hands dirty at a couple of other clubs. It may “only” have been West Brom and Stoke but it will have been good experience nevertheless.

I would still prefer someone who’s done the job before though.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The thing about Fletcher is that when he was sick, he was around the club and studying for his badges, he is a lot more like Butt than any other player. It's not as if the idea came last week, he has been working on a future in management for years, I don't know if he is ready or even competent but I wouldn't be surprised if he has been in touch with the club during the entire process, maybe he will become a coach or a technical director but I won't be surprised when he is back at United and it won't be to please the fans.
Hmm possibly, lets see. I really want the club to change/alter its process so hopefully this is the beginning of that.

Josep Dowling

Well we don’t know, but he had a lot of time when recovering from his illness to do something. You’d imagine that there was a time when he didn’t think he’d play again so life after football might have been a real consideration and taken steps to future proof himself.

I think people on this forum are too quick to take the words of Gary Neville as gospel when his entire job is to create a story and drama. He may have the clubs best intentions at heart but by his own admission “I’m not qualified”.... so what In that circumstances gives him the right to then say Woodward or whoever is not doing their job correctly and the club should he setup in a certain way?
I don't know what Neville is saying. I don't agree with a lot what he's saying anything. He consistently blames Pogba on the pitch whilst the likes of Young, Smalling and Jones never get any criticism from him, I don't get it.

Having someone that knows the club is great but first and foremost we need someone who has experience or educated to that level.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Rio, Phelan and Fletcher is such an uninspiring shortlist but Fletch is definitely the pick of the bunch for me. The problem is it's another huge risk given the position we're in. Appointing an inexperienced manager and technical director could be as catastrophic as the time we gave Moyes the keys and replaced the backroom staff with his men, while fecking Ed Woodward replaced David Gill.
Just out of interest like but who do you think should have replaced David Gill ?

Class of 63

Sourness
Just what we fecking need, brilliant.

It's already a committee that decide our targets, Mourinho lost his shit over this last season. We have two head scouts that watch players for a manager and feedback to Ed. We had a situation last season where one head scout said the player was good enough to play for United and the other head scout said he wasn't, and they were at an impasse over it, so guess what happened? Absolutely nothing because no one could make their mind up. I think the player was Maguire in the end.

This is also one of the reasons Langley left United.
As did him retiring ;)

Kapardin

I don't know what Neville is saying. I don't agree with a lot what he's saying anything. He consistently blames Pogba on the pitch whilst the likes of Young, Smalling and Jones never get any criticism from him, I don't get it.

Having someone that knows the club is great but first and foremost we need someone who has experience or educated to that level.
That's why I don't take Neville or Rio seriously. They will claim Pogba is not playing well but Rashy's "world class potential" and Young/Jones "work hard".

If they truly cared for the club, they would stop acting like hypocrites and put their English bias aside. It undermines even what good points they make. Strangely enough, you don't see Carragher judging Liverpool players by their nationalities. This seems to be a United old boys thing.

ForestRGoinUp

So we have been looking for a DoF for more than a year and we finally choose an ex-player who was an active football player a weeks ago at Stoke. Of course, I love Fletch but It's really weird. (If true)
For a minute I thought there must be another Darren Fletcher, but nope it's the one that's been a player the last 20 years. Safe to assume that in those 20 years which he's been focused on his ability as a player that he's built a network throughout Europe and has polished his scouting and negotiating tactics to the point of playing a key role in this massive rebuild. Surely, right?

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Who is responsible for the signings of Mahrez, Kante, Vardy, Ndidi, Maguire, Chilwell, Pereira, Maddison at LCFC?

Can't we just appoint him as our DOF?

Fosu-Mens

For a minute I thought there must be another Darren Fletcher, but nope it's the one that's been a player the last 20 years. Safe to assume that in those 20 years which he's been focused on his ability as a player that he's built a network throughout Europe and has polished his scouting and negotiating tactics to the point of playing a key role in this massive rebuild. Surely, right?
Safe to assume that during his playing years he has become a well liked player by the fans, and someone the fans would find it difficult to critizise?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yep, we had to wait for him to retire first which must have been a tough call for the lad.
So he's so great in the DOF job (ie a job he has zero experience in btw) that we had to wait for him to retire? Couldn't we get someone else instead who could start the job earlier?

ForestRGoinUp

Safe to assume that during his playing years he has become a well liked player by the fans, and someone the fans would find it difficult to critizise?
Think of the combined experience of Ole, Carrick and now maybe Fletcher in their roles (good blokes though get behind em!). And then consider Woodward's total lack of understanding of the sport.

On a graph made 10 years from now, I suspect this point in time will be somewhere near the middle of our downward trajectory.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Are we back to having a DOF or is it the comittee still? I'm confused about the DOF Fletcher talks. I assume he'd just be part of the comittee.

Class of 63

Sourness
So he's so great in the DOF job (ie a job he has zero experience in btw) that we had to wait for him to retire? Couldn't we get someone else instead who could start the job earlier?
I can understand the clubs reluctant to hire a DOF/Technical Director because we've never had one, never needed one, we probably don't need one now, but the club are obviously open to the idea and what's to say Darren hasn't made a pitch for the job and impressed with his ideas on what the job should entail.

I'd take Darren in a coma over Rio, or any of the former players/coaches touted for the position, top lad is our Fletch

stepic

why don't we sign an actual DOF, instead of an ex player who has never done the role before?

it's the equivalent of replacing a retiring CEO of a company with his son, because everyone knows the son and he's a good kid, instead of bringing in another... actual CEO who knows what they're doing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
why don't we sign an actual DOF, instead of an ex player who has never done the role before?

it's the equivalent of replacing a retiring CEO of a company with his son, because everyone knows the son and he's a good kid, instead of bringing in another... actual CEO who knows what they're doing.
Not really sure that's true. If we were going to pick an ex-player because he's an ex player, we were hardly going to put Darren Fletcher at the top of the list are we? He still had to interview.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I can understand the clubs reluctant to hire a DOF/Technical Director because we've never had one, never needed one, we probably don't need one now, but the club are obviously open to the idea and what's to say Darren hasn't made a pitch for the job and impressed with his ideas on what the job should entail.

I'd take Darren in a coma over Rio, or any of the former players/coaches touted for the position, top lad is our Fletch
If we don't believe we need anyone in that role then we shouldn't sign anyone. What's the point of throwing some dude there whose go no idea of what the job entails?

Amir

Just out of interest like but who do you think should have replaced David Gill ?
A money man replaced a money man. Problem was we also lost Fergie at the same time, and replaced him terribly with Moyes, which would have left any new CEO in a terrible position.

Status
Not open for further replies.