Man Utd - stock price

K Stand Knut

Ok mate. You suspect? I'm going by what the protesters are saying and it sounds logical to me and holds up to scrutiny.

It's been a year, they reminded the Glazers last monthish that they were expecting a response. But yeah your opinion that this is about results is both more logical and believable.

you claim my post baffled you? Explain to me why the fans are in the wrong for protesting and when is an appropriate time. I presume we should wait til we win the league to protest, that way no one can cast aspersions or undermine the motivation behind it.
Now you’ve resorted making things up.

I said it was about both, which I still believe.

I also didn’t say anybody was wrong. I think it’s commendable and will probably be joining in the protest myself. However, as with a lot of things the fans do, I think it is also motivated by other factors and not just one sole contributory factor.

I guess there would be no definitive appropriate time to protest. It would be dependent on the situation for each protest.

Withnail

Now you’ve resorted making things up.

I said it was about both

I also didn’t say anybody was wrong. I think it’s commendable and will probably be joining in the protest myself. However, as with a lot of things the fans do, I think it is also motivated by other factors and not just one sole contributory factor.

I guess there would be no definitive appropriate time to protest. It would be dependent on the situation for each protest.
Well to be fair that's a lot more nuanced than the below (which I initially the replied to) and I wouldn't argue with what you've just said.

When the whinges and moans will miraculously stop again!!!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
ManUtd right now : below IPO price
Juventus right now : below IPO price
BvB right now : couldn't find IPO price but currently trading less than what it costed 5 years ago, down -45% ish.

Can we all agree that football stocks are simply not good investments? sometimes even if the board, manager and players are doing really well you also depend on luck to win big trophies.

K Stand Knut

Well to be fair that's a lot more nuanced than the below (which I initially the replied to) and I wouldn't argue with what you've just said.
I probably should have said a large number of whingers and moaners would crawl back in their boxes.

I can only imagine the queues in the ground in the 18th minute on Saturday when the protestors enter the ground and spend their hard-earned cash on the fine beer and food on sale at the kiosks!

Withnail

I probably should have said a large number of whingers and moaners would crawl back in their boxes.

I can only imagine the queues in the ground in the 18th minute on Saturday when the protestors enter the ground and spend their hard-earned cash on the fine beer and food on sale at the kiosks!
Ok

Laurencio

A very fair point but who on earth is going to pay £5bn for United??

You can right your answer on a stamp if you want because there is nobody
No clue, but I didn't think someone would cough up 3-4 billion for Chelsea either. Yet they have a bidding war...

Laurencio

Why did you thought that it wasn't possible?
I frankly didn't think anyone would pay that much for a football club, I clearly should have anticipated it given the amount of money in football these days, but I naively thought that no one in their right mind would spend 3-4 billion dollars. That's always been the excuse about the Glazers, no one willing to meet the asking price. Not to mention Chelsea regularly have a deficit of roughly 200M a season which Abramovich has tended to cover with personal investment.

It makes you wonder just how much football clubs will be worth in a few years time...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I frankly didn't think anyone would pay that much for a football club, I clearly should have anticipated it given the amount of money in football these days, but I naively thought that no one in their right mind would spend 3-4 billion dollars. That's always been the excuse about the Glazers, no one willing to meet the asking price. Not to mention Chelsea regularly have a deficit of roughly 200M a season which Abramovich has tended to cover with personal investment.

It makes you wonder just how much football clubs will be worth in a few years time...
United aren't for sale but there are buyers out there. The issue is that these buyers aren't sugar daddies, they are investors similar to the Glazer family, sugar daddies will look at cheaper clubs because it costs less to get the same results.

Regarding Chelsea the 200m are for the pandemic season not a yearly reality?

Laurencio

United aren't for sale but there are buyers out there. The issue is that these buyers aren't sugar daddies, they are investors similar to the Glazer family, sugar daddies will look at cheaper clubs because it costs less to get the same results.

Regarding Chelsea the 200m are for the pandemic season not a yearly reality?
I agree with your point. Personally I don't mind investors, as long as they are capable investors. Have at it, make money off of owning the football club, but for the love of god, manage it properly. The Fenway group aren't exactly money boosting superfans, but they seem capable of putting in place systems that ensure both profitability and relative success. I think we'd all love something like what the Red Knights proposed way back, but that's a pipe dream with these prices.

As for the 200M, I must have misread something in the reports, you are right. They aren't consistently profitable though. There is a case to be made that without Abramovich's constant investment the club would regularly be in the red. The loans he wrote off last month were a staggering £1.5bn. But there is also a case to be made that Chelsea haven't really exploited sponsorship and licensing agreements anywhere near as much as we have, so they probably have a lot of room to grow on that front.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with your point. Personally I don't mind investors, as long as they are capable investors. Have at it, make money off of owning the football club, but for the love of god, manage it properly. The Fenway group aren't exactly money boosting superfans, but they seem capable of putting in place systems that ensure both profitability and relative success. I think we'd all love something like what the Red Knights proposed way back, but that's a pipe dream with these prices.

As for the 200M, I must have misread something in the reports, you are right. They aren't consistently profitable though. There is a case to be made that without Abramovich's constant investment the club would regularly be in the red. The loans he wrote off last month were a staggering £1.5bn. But there is also a case to be made that Chelsea haven't really exploited sponsorship and licensing agreements anywhere near as much as we have, so they probably have a lot of room to grow on that front.
On the bold part Fenway group are capable of nothing, Liverpool were a mess before they hired Klopp which was due to a lucky circumstance. And Football clubs are for the most part not profitable, only the top clubs from a commercial standpoint make actual profits and that's largely based on getting a certain amount of prize money otherwise they are in the red. It's nearly impossible to make profits without relative success in Football.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Agree. not everyone here gets that we were bought in a leveraged buyout - the glazers had no money to buy the club and bought it with its own projected future incomes. Thats why we are still so in debt - they dont care. The asset value is now huge and probably allows them to leverage money for other projects. We are a soccer sports franchise that has delivered them over a billion pounds in dividends over 15 years. Great business for them and they are entitled to it.

what this means as fans is that we will struggle to ever compete with oil money and sports washing and that the glazers will always prioritise commerce over sporting achievement.
Leveraged buyouts are used all the time in the business world so the Glazers doing it is not new, not illegal, and not wrong. In fact, leveraged buyouts often benefit the company.

We have not struggled to keep up with other teams spending. We have spent more transfer money since SAF left than everyone except City. Furthermore, right now we have 4 of the top 5 paid players in the PL. How is this being stingy with money?

Our problem has been how we are spending money. Who in their right mind would make a 36 year old the highest paid player in the league? The list of terrible decisions is long and one of the latest is regarding not selling Pogba last summer:

- We could have sold Pogba for at least 70m last summer and saved 15m in salary.
- Instead we will get nothing this summer.
- This means our club leaders thought Pogba would somehow play so great he would be worth 85m in value when history shows he probably would have a dozen or so of great games and be injured for the part of the season.
- Sure they might of thought they could re-sign him but the odds were never good for that happening.

Very few businessmen would make such a poor decision.