Man Utd vs Newcastle (Reserves)

Virtuoso

The squad for tonight -

United squad: Foster, Zieler; C Evans, Silvestre, Eckersley, Chester, Norwood; Jones, Possebon, Cleverley, Galbraith, Eikrem, Brady; Eagles, Welbeck, Macheda.

Robert Brady with a surprise inclusion, he's barely played for the U18's as he's been held back until now in the U16's. This has probably something to do with Barnes' departure and the lack of wingers. Great to see Federico Macheda in the side, he's been exceptional for the Academy side so he's earnt his second call up to the Reserves. No Gary Neville for some reason but Silvestre and Foster are included as well as Norwood whose been out of the side for a while. A lot of Academy players have been drafted in :cool:

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
maybe Neville in the squad for Villa, if he's not then I can't see any other reason why he's not getting some match fitness here.
Got to watch out for Carroll (I think) for Newcastle

CockneyHammer

Or just Cock for short
maybe Neville in the squad for Villa, if he's not then I can't see any other reason why he's not getting some match fitness here.
Got to watch out for Carroll (I think) for Newcastle
Carrolls shit, too much hype around him, from what i've seen of him I wouldn't worry

He's blinding on Football manager though ;)

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
But brilliant to see Macheda and Welbeck on the score sheet :devil:

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
HT now or what? What kind of injury did Rodrigo go off with? Did he pull something or was it a tackle?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He kicked it

Into the net.

Bang

3-1!
:nono:

To be fair, that sort of stuff is annoying in the matchday thread, so it's just as annoying here.

3rd goal was by Eagles, after some sweet, sweet inter-play between him and Welbeck.

Full time now. Welbeck and Macheda really growing in confidence at this level. Which is great to see.

Brady was the surprise package of the day. Did very well.

Starting to enjoy watching our reserve again. Finally. They're seriously young but we've got some quality teenagers on our books, that's for sure.

julesee

great goal by wellbeck.....and great to see Macheda prospering - he is class

twitter thread suggester
It really pains me that we are not able to watch the reserves games anymore here in Denmark, and i's not even possible to get a stream of the games.

Am I wrong in saying that Welbeck's sudden rise at reserves level could be down to him having a partner up front opposed to the his first couple of games where he was an alone striker? Or was he also alone on top against City?

Virtuoso

Welbeck played alone upfront against Man City but he had far better support from the midfield in that game than in the 8 matches that went before where he scored only 1 goal.

Stunning performance today. I've said it before, the Academy side is more exciting than the Reserves and tonight we saw a Reserve side made up of predominantly the better Academy players of this season. First half we showed some brilliant approach play but no real cutting edge in the final third. Fair enough however, as we had such a young side playing they weren't always making the best decisions and at times were on different wavelengths. Rodrigo's injury looked bad, it was the way he landed on his left ankle after jumping for a high ball though afterwards the commentators said it "may not be too serious". Newcastle's goal came as a complete surprise and it was a smash and grab lead.

The second half saw the same approach play and guile going forward but with a new found urgency and spark in the final third. Macheda led the line as if he was a seasoned professional, a great ball through by Silvestre found him in between the centre backs and on the shoulder of the last defender...he took a brilliant first touch and then with superb composure he poked the ball past the keeper with the outside of his right foot (very Berbatov-esque). About a minute later, Welbeck found himself with a bit of space and tussled with two defenders, eventually getting hold of the ball again he showed incredible skill by hooking the ball around his left foot with his right and then unleashing a piledriver of a shot with his left foot into the roof of the net. Great goal and amazing close control in the box. Third goal was a result of a beautifully worked passage of play between Welbeck and Eagles with 4-5 one touch passes until Eagles tapped into an empty net.

Great performance, especially the second half. Brady and Galbraith were impressive when they came on too. For me, man of the match has to go to Welbeck who showed determination, skill, finishing and excellent link up play all during the match.

twitter thread suggester
Thanks for the update, Virtuoso - much appreciated.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Yeah, thanks for another good report. 3 questions:

1. How did Rodrigo do before he got injured?
2. I've only seen Macheda twice but on both occasions he's seemed very languid, much like Welbeck. How was his work rate?
3. Rob Brady. What type of winger is he? Quick and direct like a young Giggsy or a pass/cross master like Becks?

Cheers.

roonaldo78

2. I've only seen Macheda twice but on both occasions he's seemed very languid, much like Welbeck. How was his work rate?
3. Rob Brady. What type of winger is he? Quick and direct like a young Giggsy or a pass/cross master like Becks?

Cheers.
1) Rodrigo did what he usually does, looked very good on the ball and put in some nice passes. Seems quite talented and tries to keep things simple.

2) Macheda looks like a Van Nistelrooy type of striker, extremely good first touch and his finishing is quite good too. Doesn't get around the pitch as much as Wellbeck.

3) I've seen Brady play for the academy on the left wing and is more of a Giggsy than Becks, makes a lot of runs and tries to get past players. However, yesterday it seemed like he was playing in the centre.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Thanks. Fingers crossed Rodrigo's injury isn't too bad.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Wasnt on the wing yesterday. He played in the middle (came on at HT) and did OK. He wasnt afraid to stick his boot in thats for sure. Quite tenatious in the tackle and generally stuck to 5-10yard passes. Steady performance from him.

Oh, and also... Rodrigo = a young, Brazilian version of Michael Carrick.

Virtuoso

Cheers.
I agree with what roonaldo78 has said too.

Rodrigo is now settled and has become a consistent performer, he keeps it simple but can express himself more with raking balls through to the wingers/forwards. Last night he opted to play it short mostly as Macheda and Welbeck were linking well with the midfield.

Welbeck does more of the running, coming out to the flanks etc so that means Macheda mainly holds his position. But what Cico does is brilliant and reminiscent of some great strikers, always makes darting runs across the backline and works off the shoulder of the last defender. He's so composed in possession and clinical in front of goal, yesterday it was a superb touch and finish that got him his goal.

Robert Brady played in as a CM for some reason, though I've seen him play a few times for the U18's where he plays as a winger and in the mould Giggs rather than Beckham. Though his closest comparison in my opinion is to Aiden McGeady at Celtic; small, jinky winger who can penetrate as well as put in danger crosses and work with both feet. By the way, Crerand spoke about how Liverpool had been after him for some time but Brady's dad is a huge Man United fan so he wouldn't let him join the scousers (Robert is also a United fan)...as soon as United showed their interest he signed up. He also said that his dad goes to many of the games with Robert Brady. Good to see he waited for us to come in for him because there were many clubs after him and he is seen as the best talent to come out of Ireland for some time.

Decotron

I agree with what roonaldo78 has said too.

Rodrigo is now settled and has become a consistent performer, he keeps it simple but can express himself more with raking balls through to the wingers/forwards. Last night he opted to play it short mostly as Macheda and Welbeck were linking well with the midfield.

Welbeck does more of the running, coming out to the flanks etc so that means Macheda mainly holds his position. But what Cico does is brilliant and reminiscent of some great strikers, always makes darting runs across the backline and works off the shoulder of the last defender. He's so composed in possession and clinical in front of goal, yesterday it was a superb touch and finish that got him his goal.

Robert Brady played in as a CM for some reason, though I've seen him play a few times for the U18's where he plays as a winger and in the mould Giggs rather than Beckham. Though his closest comparison in my opinion is to Aiden McGeady at Celtic; small, jinky winger who can penetrate as well as put in danger crosses and work with both feet. By the way, Crerand spoke about how Liverpool had been after him for some time but Brady's dad is a huge Man United fan so he wouldn't let him join the scousers (Robert is also a United fan)...as soon as United showed their interest he signed up. He also said that his dad goes to many of the games with Robert Brady. Good to see he waited for us to come in for him because there were many clubs after him and he is seen as the best talent to come out of Ireland for some time.
Sweet!!!!! I love reading that sort of story! Piss off scousers. Also great to see St Kevins Boys still producing talent! (i played in goal for them as a lanky 11 year old!!!)