Manager draft - Fercutchon(Cutch) VS The Capillows(EAP)

Who would win based on peak under the chosen manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Annahnomoss

Subs: Bryan Robson, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney

Player stats
PETER SCHMEICHEL
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 393 games.
5 x Premier League
3 x FA Cup
1 x League Cup
1 x Champions League

GARY NEVILLE
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 602 games, 7 goals.
8 x Premier League
3 x FA Cup
2 x League Cup
2 x Champions League

DENIS IRWIN
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 529 games, 33 goals.
7 x Premier League
3 x FA Cup
1 x League Cup
1 x Champions League
1 x Cup Winners Cup

JAAP STAM
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 127 games, 1 goal.
3 x Premier League
1 x FA Cup
1 x Champions League

RIO FERDINAND
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 455 games, 8 goals.
6 x Premier League
1 x FA Cup
2 x League Cup
1 x Champions League

DAVID BECKHAM
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 394 games, 85 goals.
6 x Premier League
2 x FA Cup
1 x Champions League

ROY KEANE
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 480 games, 33 goals.
7 x Premier League
4 x FA Cup
1 x Champions League

PAUL SCHOLES
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 718 games, 155 goals.
11 x Premier League
3 x FA Cup
2 x League Cup
2 x Champions League

CRISTIANO RONALDO
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 292 games, 118 goals.
3 x Premier League
1 x FA Cup
2 x League Cup
1 x Champions League
Ballon D'or & FIFA World Player of The Year 2008

ERIC CANTONA
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 205 games, 93 goals.
4 x Premier League
2 x FA Cup

RUUD VAN NISTELROOY
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 219 games, 150 goals.
1 x Premier League
1 x FA Cup
1 x League Cup

Subs
BRYAN ROBSON
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 259 games, 40 goals.
2 x Premier League
1 x FA Cup
1 x League Cup
1 x Cup Winners Cup

RYAN GIGGS
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 963 games, 168 goals.
13 x Premier League
4 x FA Cup
3 x League Cup
2 x Champions League

WAYNE ROONEY
Under Sir Alex Ferguson – 400 games, 197 goals.
5 x Premier League
2 x FA Cup
1 x Champions League

Player profiles
A dream team of those to have played under arguably the greatest manager of all time, in his incredible 26.5 years managing Manchester United.

A team littered with honours from the most successful era in the clubs history. Individual brilliance, togetherness, never say die attitude and incredible longevity at the highest level.

In goals is the Great Dane, the best goalkeeper in my lifetime. A keeper with an enormous presence and influence that was hugely instrumental to Uniteds success. His time at United had the perfect ending with the treble win in 99.

At rightback is Gary Neville, a fullback that wore his heart on his sleeve. A player who knew all the dark arts of defending. Outstanding professionalism throughout his career meant he stayed at the top while other perhaps more naturally talented players fell by the wayside.

At leftback is another ultimate professional, Denis Irwin. Incredibly consistent player and one of Sir Alex's greatest ever signings. Equally at home at left back or right back, you could count the number of bad games he had in his career on one hand. Also brilliant at set pieces.

The centrehalf pairing of Stam and Rio has a bit of everything. Rio with wonderful reading of the game, natural athleticism and class on the ball, while Stam was like a brick wall with nothing getting past him. Sir Alex's biggest mistake was letting him go when the best defender in the world at this time.

In midfield is the 3 from the treble winning side with probably Fergies greatest player Cristiano Ronaldo coming in for Ryan Giggs. David Beckham on the right with his wand of a right foot, amazing stamina and crossing ability, linking up with Neville who he had a fantastic relationship with. In the centre Scholes and Keane complemented eachother superbly well during Uniteds dominance. The pinpoint passing of Scholes and his ability to arrive late into the box. Keane an all round powerhouse of a midfielder, with huge leadership qualities and will to win, and also an extremely underrated passer. On the left the mercurial Cristiano in his 07-08 Ballon D'Or winning form .

At number 10 is the catalyst that sparked Uniteds era of dominance. Charismatic and flamboyant frenchman that oozed class. Brought the best out of all the players around him. A genius.

Upfront is the master predator Ruud Van Nistelrooy. A stunning goals per game ratio. One of the most natural finishers of the last 20 years. Give Ruud service and he would score, its as simple as that.

Tactics
My opponents team is fantastic, no two ways about it so can't say a bad word about it. However in this matchup i think my side actually matches up really well in terms of dealing with its biggest threats aswell as presenting consider danger in its own right. The following are the main things to look out for.

Defending line
- Nothing suicidal but a relatively high line will be implemented here to try and play this game on the front foot, as there is good pace in centre defence with physical monstrosity Stam picking up MVB and the covering Rio hopefully to pick up any loose runners. Schmeichel was an outstanding keeper at coming off his line and was immense at 1v1 situations so the perfect man behind to cover the defence.

Beckham v Maldini
- Maldini is a draft god who never gets beaten, i would know, i've picked him about 643 times. However Becks doesn't need to beat fullbacks to get crosses in. He's a tireless worker who'll give a good account of himself against this legend. One of the best crossers of a ball there has been, there will be chances created from his right peg, including via free kicks/corners. Ruud attacking crosses and Cristiano at the back post = goals.

Cristiano
- A no doubt controversial decision to bench Giggsy for this one but Cristiano comes in to do a job here. He'll be more than likely up against probably the weakest link on the pitch in Panucci, and i don't really need to dwell on what sort of mismatch this could be as you all know yourself what Ronaldo brings to the table. What he doesn't bring is overly hard work defending, though i feel i've strong cover on this side including the ultra reliable Denis Irwin. As i mentioned above the threat in the air is also considerable.

With a strong combative tactically disciplined side i think theres the right mix there to give my matchwinners like Ronaldo, Cantona and Ruud the perfect platform to leave their mark. I think in a one off tie we're coming away looking at something like a 2-1 win.
--------------------------------------CUTCH----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Edgar Allan Pillow--------------

Annahnomoss

Edgar/Capello
Introduction:

The core of the team is from Milan, who dominated European Football in mid 90's with some cracking upgrades. 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and the striker, i.e.. 5 of the 10 players in the pitch (excl GK ofc) at their peaks were among the Top 3 footballers in the world.... literally at the PEAK of footballers. 3 of them (Baresi, Maldini and van Basten) have the added advantage of playing together with great success at their peaks. This shows the spread of unmatched class that is spread across my team.

Nedved (2003 Juventus | Balon D'or 1st place)
van Basten (1992 Milan ! Balon d'Or 1st place)
Baresi (1989 Milan | Balon D'Or 2nd place)
Maldini (1994, 2003 Milan | Balon D'or 3rd place)
Savicevic (Balon d'Or 2nd place in 1991, Joined capello's Milan in 1992)

TEAM COMPOSITION AND SET UP:

Formation: 4-2-3-1

Defence: Maldini - Baresi - Costacurta - Panucci

The legendary back 4 of Milan takes their positions again. They have all worked together successfully in a familiar rock solid defensive line. At the very top when it comes to any discussions about best defensive lineup's in European football.

Defensive Midfield: Redondo-Desailly

A perfect combination of force and grace, power and positioning.

United fans need no introduction to Redondo. Admiration and envy fluctuate when we think of him dominating Keane and Scholes in the midfield, prompting...

Desailly was a Cl winning CB when he landed in Milan, where Capello converted him to a world class Defensive Midfielder. A highly respected player and legend at both Club and Country.

A strong, quick and powerful defensive shield in Desailly complements the silky tactical awareness and brilliant positioning skills of Redondo. Both are good on the ball and bring out the best in each other forming a mouthwatering shield to the bank 4.

Attacking Midfield: Nedved - Savicevic - Donadoni

A totally flexible attacking trio which can freely interchange positions depending on the gameplay. Savicevic's attacking brilliance is complimented perfectly by the work rate and graft of Nedved and Donadoni. Between Redondo, Nedved, Donadoni and Savicevic you'll find all the components to make a successful and utterly dangerous midfield.

Stiker: Marco van Basten

One of the greatest strikers of all time, he has proved himself at Ajax, Milan and for Dutch national team. He will especially love the flexible attacking trio behind him and can expect a constant supply of ball to slot into the back of the net. Rated above Fenomeno Ronaldo in the FIFA Player of the Century.

STRATEGY:

When off possession:
+ One of the strongest defensive lineup's in the world and in this draft.
+ Defence is strengthened by presence of power and pace of Desailly and positioning and tactical awareness of Redondo.
+ Nedved and Donadoni have the work rate to track back and provide solidity in the midfield. Their presence will ensure that both Cutch's fullbacks cannot commit forward. Lack of overlap to wide midfielders.

When in possession:
+ Redondo to control the game from the middle...like he did before in the CL match up.
+ The flexible trio will prove too much for Keane being the sole defensive cover.
+ Nedved's will prevail over Neville leading to further disruption to his back 4.

Fergie's Untied has a history of playing attacking football with swift counters....but in here my team is definitely better at this. The defence is capable of holding up to whatever Cutch can throw at us. When we regain possession the pace of Nedved and Donadoni will be devastating even to a exceptional player like Keane. One of their major drawbacks is controlling the game and this Milan set up is set up to exploit the same.

Stam and Rio are a solid defensive partnership, but here they are up against van Basten and Savicevic at their peak. Recall the 94 CL final which had Savicevic against the Cryuff's Dream Team which had Nadal and Koeman and Guadriola shielding them...and Savicevic's stellar performance ended in a Milan 4-0 win. Add in Nedved vs Gary Neville, I would definitely expect Nedved to come up trumps leading to extra concern for one of Stam/Rio which they can ill afford with van Basten/Saviceic hovering there.

I presume Cutch's biggest selling point will be Giggs vs Panucci. Agree that Giggs in his prime was quite something, but Panucci is no mug either. No one could hold their place in that stellar back 4 without carrying their weight. After leaving Milan, he went to become a starter in Real Madrid forming a dangerous fullback partnership with Roberto Carlos operating on the other wing. Two time Champion League winner and no means a 'weakness' in the team. Maybe not as stellar as the rest of the back 4, but a very good defender in his own right.

OVERALL:

+ Better Defence.
+ Better Midfield.
+ Best striker on the pitch.
+ Better flexibility, more individual match winners.
I'll give this to Cutch, he has a better Goal Keeper. ;)

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Cantona could be the man here. He would've been a joy playing with Ronaldo.

Shame to see Giggsy not playing and whilst I would have probably played him, I can see Cutch's logic.

Annahnomoss

Cantona could be the man here. He would've been a joy playing with Ronaldo.

Shame to see Giggsy not playing and whilst I would have probably played him, I can see Cutch's logic.
Yeah, whatever he did he would have to choose between benching Beckham/Giggs/Cantona or Ronaldo.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I like the decision of benching Giggs, Beckham - Ronaldo is the way to go against Maldini - Panucci here.
I didn't think that Fergie could've gone further, but now I'm curious. It's certainly closer than I expected, even without the obvious personal bias.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
As expected, the key battle would be Ronaldo vs Panucci.

+ What made that defence legendary was their understanding and ability to work as a unit playing to their best of their abilities. With them it would never be reduced to a 1vs1 battle as the sum was far greater than the parts.
+ Panucci may be the least 'fashionable' name of that back 4 and it is quite easy to label him as a gung ho attacker based on his gameplay...but the fact is he is no mug on the defending side of things. The fact a mostly conservative minded manager like Capello rated Panucci as a defender enough to take him to Real speaks volumes on his ability as a defender.
+ The presence of Desailly. He was a immense rock solid defensive midfielder under Capello. One of the worlds best DM at that time. His presence to that side serves as a crucial block to any perceived weaknesses.

Tactical imbalance: CR over Giggs is predictable, but the imbalance it creates over the whole team is far more telling. The main characteristic of that United team is their balance, Giggs's pace to Beckham's crossing, Keane's power to Scholes's genius, Cantona's creativity to RvN's finishing....which is directly not suitable to a setup CR operated under Fergie where most of the plays were routed through him. Everyone had to play a second fiddle to CR, which would not sit well with individual characters like Keane, Cantona, RvN. Keane would have to be more defensive coping up. Scholes would probably play a little deeper (not his prime role in that United team) to avoid getting overrun in defence. The tendency of CR to cut into the box and try and score himself would overlap with Cantona and Scholes speciality to ghost in to the box for his traditional screamers. To be really honest, the added attack of CR7 is not sufficient to counter the imbalance to to the rest of the side, imo.

Moreover CR's lack of defensive contribution leaves a perfect venue for the graft of Donadoni to exploit and and provides a ready and relatively free outlet to carry the ball forward.

Playing a high line with Neville facing Nedved, Savicevic and van Basten would not be optimal imo. Nedved would manage to get away from Neville and the gap it opens would be perfect for Savicevic and van Basten to take advantage of.

Skizzo

Think EAP's attacking threat would be too much here....it seemed there was only so far SAF's team could go, although it certainly is pleasing on the eye to see it put together.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Edgar doesn't have anyone that can pass a ball like Scholes or Beckham. Ronaldo is arguably the standout player on the pitch against the weakest link on the pitch, and along with Van Nistelrooy and Cantona, and Beckham and Scholes (who both chipped in with about 15 a season in their prime remember), I feel the side has a notably greater scoring threat.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Feck this, went with Cutch. I swear, I tried to be as objective as possible. He made some great points.

P.S. Cantona - Ronaldo :drool:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As expected, the key battle would be Ronaldo vs Panucci.
Not sure that it would, actually.

But at any rate it's a very different battle from Giggs vs Panucci. Ronaldo is a more allround threat than Giggs - much more dangerous in the box, obviously, and part of Cutch's plan here is to have Ronaldo slip into dangerous areas as Beckham delivers his long-range pinpointers.

What you get with Ronaldo in this role is a bit of a wild card - an extremely dangerous finisher who comes in from out wide to create trouble for your defense, who already have to deal with both RVN and Cantona (and a Scholes who is likely to get into the box with some frequency too).

Ideally. In a less ideal scenario Ronaldo wouldn't work brilliantly in that role at all - because the free role he actually had for Fergie did, as you correctly suggest, mean that the rest of the team sort of faded into the background a fair bit.

Interesting, ain't it?

Cutch

Not sure that it would, actually.

But at any rate it's a very different battle from Giggs vs Panucci. Ronaldo is a more allround threat than Giggs - much more dangerous in the box, obviously, and part of Cutch's plan here is to have Ronaldo slip into dangerous areas as Beckham delivers his long-range pinpointers.

What you get with Ronaldo in this role is a bit of a wild card - an extremely dangerous finisher who comes in from out wide to create trouble for your defense, who already have to deal with both RVN and Cantona (and a Scholes who is likely to get into the box with some frequency too).

Ideally. In a less ideal scenario Ronaldo wouldn't work brilliantly in that role at all - because the free role he actually had for Fergie did, as you correctly suggest, mean that the rest of the team sort of faded into the background a fair bit.

Interesting, ain't it?
Yep, spot on. I would add that it won't be just Beckham making those switches but Scholes' pinpoint precision also. Scholes and Beckham (plus Cantona dropping deep) looking for the off the ball runs from Ronaldo should work a dream. It also tries to take out of the game Edgar's 2 standout defenders

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I thought this was a straightforward EAP win till I realised this wasn't Sacchi's van Basten, Donadoni, Desailly but Capello's. Still, that means this is probably the best defence in history, in front of whom lies the best DM pairing imaginable, with a GOAT striker upfront, (though slightly off his peak?) and a more-than-adequate 3 for creativity. All nicely balanced though.
The only wildcard is Ronaldo but even though he was really really good for us, i wouldn't fancy even 2007-08 Ronaldo against this defence. Maybe today's freakish monster, but at that time he still had some flaws. I think the DM pariing would smother Cantona, and Keane-Scholes would be both swamped and outclassed by Redondo and Savicevic with help from Desailly and Nedved. RvN was great but this is the most proven CB pairing in history.

So I'm back to thinking this is a straightforward EAP win :p

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The tactical balance is the issue here, certainly would leave that flank more exposed to Donadoni and Scholes more subdued. Maybe I'm too much of a Giggsy fanboi but the big trump card for his incusion is crosses to the far post from Becks and with that flank boasting Maldini and Nedved I just don't see it.

Nedved is absolutely perfect for a battle with Beckham trying to cross or play the diagonal from deep, and if he ventures forward more to escape him, well, there's Paolo waiting...

Panucci being painted as any sort of liability is way off the mark, excellent fullback and Capello certainly didn't sign him THREE times (Milan, Real and Roma) for being defensively suspect.

antohan

I thought this was a straightforward EAP win till I realised this wasn't Sacchi's van Basten, Donadoni, Desailly but Capello's.
Desailly never played for Sacchi, only Capello. Capello actually got more consistently unbeatable form from that side for some time, until Marco's niggling injuries started the downfall of the Dutch trio. Desailly was an awesome replacement for Rijkaard, Savicevic rose to the challenge as Gullit-van Basten faded, but Marco wasn't ever really replaced which inevitably made them lack goals.

with a GOAT striker upfront, (though slightly off his peak?)
Ballon d'Or, World Soccer Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year, FIFA World Player of the Year, all in 1992 under Capello. And Serie A top scorer in that 1991-92 season, the first of three consecutive Serie A wins under Capello. It was halfway through Capello's second season that injuries abruptly and permanently put paid to a glorious career and one of the very best strikers in history.

i wouldn't fancy even 2007-08 Ronaldo against this defence. Maybe today's freakish monster, but at that time he still had some flaws.
That's a fair point, I had thought about this largely with the freakish monster in mind. feck that, Giggs should be on the pitch, no two ways about it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Desailly never played for Sacchi, only Capello. Desailly was an awesome replacement for Rijkaard, Savicevic rose to the challenge as Gullit-van Basten faded, but Marco wasn't ever really replaced which inevitably made them lack goals.
Ya, stupid me really. I knew Sacchi preferred Desailly at CB, I also knew his starting defence was Baresi-Costacurta, but I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Ballon d'Or, World Soccer Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year, FIFA World Player of the Year, all in 1992 under Capello. And Serie A top scorer in that 1991-92 season, the first of three consecutive Serie A wins under Capello. It was halfway through Capello's second season that injuries abruptly and permanently put paid to a glorious career and one of the very best strikers in history.
I did NOT know this. I thought he disintegrated simultaneously as Capello came in...makes the decision even easier.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Feck this, went with Cutch. I swear, I tried to be as objective as possible. He made some great points.

P.S. Cantona - Ronaldo :drool:
:lol: I understand, but let me try to win you back...

I would still argue that Ronaldo would have fit in better had he played 4-3-3 with Cantona behind RvN and Ronaldo (which has it's own drawbacks in the middle) but relatively lesser in a 4-4-2. Agree that it would be impossible to 'stop' Ronaldo, but you are forgetting Desailly. He was formidable under Capello. Monster as a defender and highly effective too. He was an integral part of the shield that held the Dream Team Barca to 0 goals (and that attack had Romario and Stoichkov in it). Surely some credit there.

Again if you look objectively (:p) my defence is much more capable of containing his attack, than his defence is in containing mine.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It always amazed me how Van Basten didn't have this gradual fall from grace that most former greats experience. He obviously played most of his best football in the mid-to-late 1980s, struggled for a while as the ankle injury took hold, but then despite that hindrance still managed to produce outstanding football through 1991 and 1992 before it all stopped at the end of 1992/93.

antohan

I did NOT know this. I thought he disintegrated simultaneously as Capello came in...makes the decision even easier.
That's what sticks in the mind because he was after all the one who had to execute the change of guard. Albertini for Ancelotti from the off, but gradually the Dutch trio presented a major succession challenge, particularly once Marco was shot. Dealt with it Capello-style though, no nonsense, no dithering.

Cutch

I think there's a danger of us underestimating our own a bit here. Not taking anything away from Edgars team which as I said before is outstanding, but the Keane-Scholes pairing in midfield for example is in no way inferior to its opposite numbers. Redondo was quality but i don't think his one season under Capello is enough to swing the balance over what these 2 did in a combined 1200 games under Sir Alex, winning everything.

Look at the extraordinary service each of these gave to Sir Alex. Forget the liabilities the likes of Scholes and Neville were by the end, remember the good times.

PETER SCHMEICHEL - 393 games.

GARY NEVILLE - 602 games, 7 goals.
DENIS IRWIN - 529 games, 33 goals.
JAAP STAM - 127 games, 1 goal.
RIO FERDINAND - 455 games, 8 goals.

DAVID BECKHAM - 394 games, 85 goals.
ROY KEANE - 480 games, 33 goals.
PAUL SCHOLES - 718 games, 155 goals.
CRISTIANO RONALDO - 292 games, 118 goals.

ERIC CANTONA - 205 games, 93 goals.
RUUD VAN NISTELROOY - 219 games, 150 goals.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Tactical imbalance: CR over Giggs is predictable, but the imbalance it creates over the whole team is far more telling. The main characteristic of that United team is their balance, Giggs's pace to Beckham's crossing, Keane's power to Scholes's genius, Cantona's creativity to RvN's finishing....which is directly not suitable to a setup CR operated under Fergie where most of the plays were routed through him. Everyone had to play a second fiddle to CR, which would not sit well with individual characters like Keane, Cantona, RvN. Keane would have to be more defensive coping up. Scholes would probably play a little deeper (not his prime role in that United team) to avoid getting overrun in defence. The tendency of CR to cut into the box and try and score himself would overlap with Cantona and Scholes speciality to ghost in to the box for his traditional screamers. To be really honest, the added attack of CR7 is not sufficient to counter the imbalance to to the rest of the side, imo.
RVN is the only one who I see as possibly conflicting with Ronaldo. Not in terms of the off the pitch stuff so much as him not being as selfess as a Benzema in terms of centre-forward play. Cantona would be in his element with that calibre of movement and pace to pick out, and Keane was never an individualist on the pitch. His game was based around getting the ball to talented attackers. The thought of Ronaldo, Cantona and RVN all attacking a Beckham cross, with Scholes arriving late into the box, is just incredible.

I love the way you've set up your team though EAP. So well-balanced, and Desailly with Redondo as an upgrade to the excellent Albertini is a fearsome midfield.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Interesting, ain't it?
Precisely.
- Ronaldo was a goal machine in a season where the whole team was feeding him, which is definitely not the case here.
- Key factor in him having Rooney who worked tirelessly in a role which RvN definitely would not play.
- He is also not playing in a 4-3-3 which I would argue is the optimal formation for CR to play in.

Remember, this is not the current Ronaldo in Real. And the set up is not suitable for him to recreate his peak 2008 form under us.

Last edited:

antohan

It always amazed me how Van Basten didn't have this gradual fall from grace that most former greats experience. He obviously played most of his best football in the mid-to-late 1980s, struggled for a while as the ankle injury took hold, but then despite that hindrance still managed to produce outstanding football through 1991 and 1992 before it all stopped at the end of 1992/93.
Indeed, you can see it clearly in the chart above. It was effectively a major factor in Sacchi losing his job, only for Marco to spring back to life before collapsing, forever. Such a sad ending. Most players gradually fall from grace, indeed. Others make a mockery of themselves (Maradona). Others just disappear and you don't quite notice because they are replaced (Platini-Maradona on the world stage, Rijkaard-Desailly at Milan, Robbo-Keano at United). van Basten disappeared all of a sudden and just left a massive crater behind for a couple of years (Romario-Baggio '94) if not more (Ronaldo).

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Some of the issues/difficulties around fitting in Ronaldo are getting overplayed in my opinion. I do agree and take @Chesterlestreet 's point on Ronaldo being the centre of United's attack when his form peaked, but still I wouldn't make too much of that. It was much less of a trait of Ronaldo's than it is now for Madrid for instance, even in that 08 season he wasn't the pure goalscorer he is now. Then there's 06/07 in which Ronaldo properly became world class and United played their best football for years - in that year I don't think he would have been too difficult to fit in really. He was full of excellent wing play, pace and trickery and wasn't someone who needed others to play for him IMO. That's how I remember it anyway.

But aye, he was incredible. I prefer United Ronaldo to the Madrid version.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
This is painful. But I don't think I'd be entirely honest if I said I genuinely believed Edgar's selection would lose this match.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ronaldo's not the issue for me here. And as much as there are nice connections between Cantona and the other two attackers, I have bigger question marks over Eric's influence at this level given his lack of track record in cutting the mustard in Europe.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Ronaldo's not the issue for me here. And as much as there are nice connections between Cantona and the other two attackers, I have bigger question marks over Eric's influence at this level given his lack of track record in cutting the mustard in Europe.
I sort of agree and think Cutch would have been off with MF three of Robson, Keane and Scholes.

Ronaldo is ofcourse not an issue. His last two seasons at United were by far the best by any individual player in Fergie's time. As good as Giggs has been for us, his peak never reached that level. It is mind boggling how any one would not want him on the pitch for the sake of tactics or balance. Fergie himself or any coach of caliber for that matter would never bench such a player.

Cutch

I sort of agree and think Cutch would have been off with MF three of Robson, Keane and Scholes.

Ronaldo is ofcourse not an issue. His last two seasons at United were by far the best by any individual player in Fergie's time. As good as Giggs has been for us, his peak never reached that level. It is mind boggling how any one would not want him on the pitch for the sake of tactics or balance. Fergie himself or any coach of caliber for that matter would never bench such a player.
No chance. None played in a 3 ever with the exception of Scholes very late on. If you want support that's what Becks is for.

Anything other than a 4-4-2 to honour Fergie would be nonsense

Annahnomoss

Lets not the "I would have preferred X or Y" get in the way of a good match! Everybody would have wanted to play in a different way with the SAF players.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It is virtually impossible to talk bad about that United team, so many personal favorites.

1) No one seems to be giving consideration on how his defence will perform against my attack. Nedved, van Basten, Savicevic were all at Ballon d'Or winning form, yet they do not seem to be making any difference here :(
* Keane is busy covering for CR and there is no way Rio/Stam can contain Savicevic/van Basten.
* Nedved against Neville also seems to gain me no traction.

2) Mine is one of the best proven defensive line-up's in the world and Redondo for Albertini just makes it better. Ronaldo is a matchwinner and cannot be 'stopped', but to see him just brush over this kind of defence (esp in his United form) is a bit unreasonable. He will get some joy, but I will get more.

3) Even forgetting Berg, Redondo has shown his class against Keane/Scholes midfield. Despite taking away Giggs workrate, it still seems I have not gained any advantage in the middle. With Redondo, Nedved and Donadoni there, I would certainly control the middle.

I would definitely put this contest 3-1 in my favour.