Managers Best XI

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Mourinho literally managed 3 strikers who were all better than Drogba.
Also think Ozil could easily get in that side considering he had the best seasons of his career playing for Mourinho.

RooneyLegend

His Chelsea did so well, broke many goals record and had good competition with us.

Zidane (Juventus)? Carlo didn't do that well with Juve. I wouldn't include Zidane nor Neuer. Bayern players revolt wanted him out.

Otherwise it's a fair go of a tough selections. :D
His Chelsea did so well, broke many goals record and had good competition with us.

Zidane (Juventus)? Carlo didn't do that well with Juve. I wouldn't include Zidane nor Neuer. Bayern players revolt wanted him out.

Otherwise it's a fair go of a tough selections. :D
Not including Zidane would be criminal, it's when he was at the peak of his powers. They narrowly missed out on the title a couple of times and Carlo bit the bullet. Despite the revolt I can't remember Neuer completely losing the plot.

RooneyLegend

You're right about Drogba. I think it's often forgotten that he was viewed as the weak link in that Chelsea side. This is why when they bought Shevchenko, the narrative was that he was the final piece of the jigsaw as that was the one position where they did not have an absolute top player. Of course that all changed and Drogba went on to produce his best football mostly under Hiddink, Ancelotti and of course their CL winning campaign.
Can't remember Drogba ever been seen as a weak link, even when he wasn't scoring at a great rate, his all round contribution was amazing. Jose's dream striker. iirc it was always thought that Shevchenko was a Abromovic signing rather than a Jose one.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Frank Rijkaard

Ronaldinho - Kluivert - Bergkamp
Xavi - Davids - Iniesta
Abidal - De Boer - Stam - Puyol
Van der Sar​

(He managed Barca from 2003-2008 and Netherlands at Euro 2000)

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Unai Emery

Cavani
Neymar - Ozil - Mbappe
Verratti - Nzonzi
Escudero - Silva - Marquinhos - Meunier
Rico​

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Jurgen Klopp

Alisson
Piszczek Van Dijk Hummels Schmelzer
Gundogan Milner
Mane Gotze Reus
Lewandowski

Not as many shiny names as the others have, but I still believe this side would be competitive against almost any side out there. Klopp is king in turning his sides into the ultimate game raisers.

Reus Gotze Lewandowski combination in 2013 was a stuff of dreams, add Mane who can hurt any side with his pace and pressing.

The best part of that side is the midfield though, Milner of 2018 and Gundogan of 2012 is pretty much the perfect pressing double pivot. Just endless energy to harass the opponent and quick transitions to the forwards.

CB and RB is pretty good, weak spot is LB and GK, which have been weak spots for years for both Dortmund and Liverpool:D

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Del Bosque

--------------Casillas-----------
Ramos---Hierro---Puyol---Carlos
-----------Makelele--Busquets
-Iniesta-------Xavi--------Zidane
---------------Ronaldo-------------

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Has Bobby Robson been done yet? I didn’t watch enough of Porto or Barca when he managed them to comment
At Porto his main players were Fernando Couto, Vitor Baía, Aloisio, Kostadinov, Domingos or Drulovic.

Barcelona had Ronaldo Fenómeno, Figo, Giovanni, Luis Enrique, Guardiola or Popescu.

At Sporting beside Figo he had Paulo Sousa, Valckx and Balakov. PSV had Romário, Vanenburg and perhaps Van Breukelen to name a few. Believe me I watched a few sides of Robson at Sporting better not remeber why he was fired.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol:

It’s between Trap and Cap for me.

Trapattoni

Zoff
Kohler Scirea Passarella
Bergomi Matthaus Tardelli Cabrini
Platini
Batistuta Baggio​

More of an old school 5-3-2 which is probably quite fitting. Could throw in Gentile and Boniek to remake existing partnerships with Scirea and Platini respectively.

Capello

Buffon
Cafu Costacurta Baresi Maldini
Rijkaard Desailly Redondo
Gullit Nedved
Van Basten​

Could ‘upgrade’ Costacurta with Hierro, Thuram or Cannavaro, but the latter two were ageing and the partnership is gold dust.

Probably Capello - too solid all round.
Trap's side is missing Brehme, one of Bergomi and Kohler needs to go. I'm also not quite sure either of them should make the team in the first place, or Passarella for that matter. Gentile or Ferri might have a better claim. I'm also not convinced about 3 CBs

Capello's is just wrong. Totti should be the second name on that team after Van Basten, Desailly should not make the team over Albertini, Boban, Savicevic just fom those milan teams, or Hierro or Emerson. And then Suker, Raul, Batistuta and RVN all deserve to be in the team more than Nedved as well. I'm not all convinced with Gullit either, their relationship was bad enough to include multiple physical altercatiions(that is, Gullit grabbing Capello and lifting him off the floor) and lead to Gullit leaving milan

Frank Rijkaard

Ronaldinho - Kluivert - Bergkamp
Xavi - Davids - Iniesta
Abidal - De Boer
- Stam - Puyol
Van der Sar

(He managed Barca from 2003-2008 and Netherlands at Euro 2000)
Just, No. None of the dutch players make sense, first of all they sucked under him. And second, he managed better players than most of them at barcelona anyways. Iniesta was Deco's backup. Abidal iirc was only there for his last season, where they sucked and he basically wasn't even their manager anymore

mvpkennedy

Guardiola

Neuer - Lahm, Boateng, Puyol, Alaba - Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, de Bruyne - Messi, Villa

Klopp

Alisson - Pisczek, Hummels, van Dijk, Robertson - Gundogan, Coutinho, Gotze - Mane, Salah, Lewandowski

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Just, No. None of the dutch players make sense, first of all they sucked under him. And second, he managed better players than most of them at barcelona anyways. Iniesta was Deco's backup. Abidal iirc was only there for his last season, where they sucked and he basically wasn't even their manager anymore
Netherlands was very good at Euro 2000. They beat eventual winners France in the group stage, and they dominated Italy in the semifinal, only losing on penalties.

Iniesta was definitely not Deco’s backup in 2007-08.

Van Bronckhorst over Abidal is fair.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
When you look at how weak Klopp’s best XI is compared to most other managers, it becomes very impressive how he’s managed to reach two Champions League finals with relatively average players.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Netherlands was very good at Euro 2000. They beat eventual winners France in the group stage, and they dominated Italy in the semifinal, only losing on penalties.
Ah you're right. For some reason i remembered hiddink being neteherlands manager in 2000 and rijkaard being the one who failed to qualify for the WC in 2002

Iniesta was definitely not Deco’s backup in 2007-08.

Van Bronckhorst over Abidal is fair.
But he was in the previous seasons and Deco was better for Rijkaard than Iniesta. Or at least he was just good for longer, and in winning teams. Still: VVD-Puyol-Stam-Marquez-Giovanni-Davids-Xavi-Deco-Messi-Eto'o-Dinho

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Klopp

Alisson - Pisczek, Hummels, van Dijk, Robertson - Gundogan, Coutinho, Gotze - Mane, Salah, Lewandowski
Good team, but IMO, Woodyinho is a must for Klopp, probably over Mané.

Marco Reus’ performances, impact and influence at Dortmund were second to none this season. Let’s start with the numbers. Reus scored 16 goals (only three players had more) and a league-high 14 assists. He was directly involved in almost half of Dortmund’s goals this season. The numbers are even more impressive in all competitions where he had a hand in an incredible 46 goals. Just from a statistical perspective, his impact is enormous. Reus was the engine behind Dortmund’s attacks. Aside from being a prolific goalscorer he was also the team’s primary creative hub.

What makes his performances truly impressive is the context in which they happened, a season where the club was depleted by injuries. Player after player went down throughout the season and Dortmund’s resources were stretched thinner than ever before under Klopp. That would have made things difficult for any player but Reus thrived and instead he picked up his game and helped his side see out the season in better form than any other team in the league. In his last eight games alone Reus created or scored 13 goals.
http://bundesligafanatic.com/20140516/25-best-bundesliga-players-201314-5-1/

Especially with heroic performances like this in the Champions League — where he was the best player on the pitch against a Madrid team that would go on to claim La Décima after ripping Guardiola's Bayern to shreds in the semi-finals.

IFC 1905

Alfio Basile

------------Goycochea-----------

J. Zanetti--Ayala--Ruggieri--Heinze

------Simeone---Riquelme-------

---Messi--------------Maradona----

---------Crespo--Batistuta----------

Now that I'm thinking, Basile is the only manager who's ever coached both Maradona and Messi

I think it's quite something.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Good team, but IMO, Woodyinho is a must for Klopp, probably over Mané.

http://bundesligafanatic.com/20140516/25-best-bundesliga-players-201314-5-1/

Especially with heroic performances like this in the Champions League — where he was the best player on the pitch against a Madrid team that would go on to claim La Décima after ripping Guardiola's Bayern to shreds in the semi-finals.

Yea, never forgive Mhiki for missing those countless chances. Reus is the best attacker Klopp has ever had, better than Salah, Lewandowski, Aubamayeng, Coutinho etc. On the level of Robben when in peak form (in the season you mentioned), and one the tier below Messi and Ronaldo.

Weidenfeller (Alisson has just started while Weidenfeller was a good keeper while Klopp was at the club)
Pizseck---Hummels---Van Dyk---Robertson
----Bender----Gundogan-----
----------Gotze-------------
Salah-----Lewandowski----Reus

Btw, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Heynckes

----------------Neuer-------------
Lahm---Kohler--Boateng---Brehme
--------------Redondo-------------
-------Matthaus-----Schweinsteiger---
Robben-------Lewandowski---------Ribery

Augenthaler can come in for Boateng as well, killer defense and midfield. Seedorf can also have one midfield role.

Schweigaard

Supports
Liverpool
Jurgen Klopp

Alisson
Piszczek Van Dijk Hummels Schmelzer
Gundogan Milner
Mane Gotze Reus
Lewandowski

Not as many shiny names as the others have, but I still believe this side would be competitive against almost any side out there. Klopp is king in turning his sides into the ultimate game raisers.

Reus Gotze Lewandowski combination in 2013 was a stuff of dreams, add Mane who can hurt any side with his pace and pressing.

The best part of that side is the midfield though, Milner of 2018 and Gundogan of 2012 is pretty much the perfect pressing double pivot. Just endless energy to harass the opponent and quick transitions to the forwards.

CB and RB is pretty good, weak spot is LB and GK, which have been weak spots for years for both Dortmund and Liverpool:D
They would indeed be able to compete against anyone. However, Salah is a much better footballer than Mane. Mane isn't very consistent, and has never had more than 13 goals in a league season. I'll admit that Salah hasn't started this season well, but he still strikes me as a much more dangerous player than Mane.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Trap's side is missing Brehme, one of Bergomi and Kohler needs to go. I'm also not quite sure either of them should make the team in the first place, or Passarella for that matter. Gentile or Ferri might have a better claim. I'm also not convinced about 3 CBs
It's got to be a back 3 with Trap IMO given the success he had with it in Turin and Milan. The only problem is finding a RWB better than Reuter or a more defensive type like Bergomi. You're right about Brehme, I'd got my timeline mixed up there. I'm not sold on the defence as you can take the decision to build round Scirea rather than combine him with Passarella in a 3. In the modern game though I think they'd both play alongside a man-marker. Kohler is a must - he was at the peak of his powers for Juve around 1992. If it's about the best fits in a zona mista, I'd go for:

Capello's is just wrong. Totti should be the second name on that team after Van Basten, Desailly should not make the team over Albertini, Boban, Savicevic just fom those milan teams, or Hierro or Emerson. And then Suker, Raul, Batistuta and RVN all deserve to be in the team more than Nedved as well. I'm not all convinced with Gullit either, their relationship was bad enough to include multiple physical altercatiions(that is, Gullit grabbing Capello and lifting him off the floor) and lead to Gullit leaving milan
Not sure you can suggest Savicevic on one hand while saying Gullit shouldn't be there given his personal relationship with the player. :confused:
Capello said:
Without question Savicevic is the player with whom I had the most rows.
Incredible player obviously, but in and out the team a lot and he was never the centrepiece of Capello's 4-4-2.

Disagree on Desailly, especially if you're suggesting Albertini and Boban who were pretty powderpuff in comparison. I think he's one of the more straightforward picks to be honest.

A lot of options with a Capello team, particularly in the attack and you could easily sub out Nedved/Gullit for Raul/Totti for instance. I thought about Raul who would be really tasty in that inside-left channel in his 96/97 form. Would form a great partnership with Van Basten (which is the advantage with Gullit to be fair).

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Don't know what's more random, seeing Ronaldo under our dear waiter's tutelage or Moyes boasting about Rio Ferdinand in his dream team. Good thread, this.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Not sure you can suggest Savicevic on one hand while saying Gullit shouldn't be there given his personal relationship with the player. :confused:

Incredible player obviously, but in and out the team a lot and he was never the centrepiece of Capello's 4-4-2.

Disagree on Desailly, especially if you're suggesting Albertini and Boban who were pretty powderpuff in comparison. I think he's one of the more straightforward picks to be honest.

A lot of options with a Capello team, particularly in the attack and you could easily sub out Nedved/Gullit for Raul/Totti for instance. I thought about Raul who would be really tasty in that inside-left channel in his 96/97 form. Would form a great partnership with Van Basten (which is the advantage with Gullit to be fair).
Savicevic was better for Capello than Gullit(also he had more rows with Savicevic but never as bad as with Gullit). Albertini was the brain of his milan sides, far better and much more important to the team than Desailly. Boban was a better player too. Totti as i said was the second best player he's ever managed(under him).

I'd go Buffon-Baresi-Costacurta-Maldini-Tassotti, Emerson-Redondo-Totti-Raul-Van Basten-Suker

Sven Goran Eriksson.

----------Silvino--------
---Aldair--Nesta--Sensini---
--------Simeone---Veron-----
Conceicao-------------Nedved
-----------Mancini---------
------Salas--------Crespo

Last edited:

BlackShark_80

Rinus Michels:
---------------Van Breukelen-------------
Suurbier---De Boer--Koeman---Krol
---------------Rijkaard-------------
-------Neeskens-----Van Hanegem---
Gullit-------Van Basten-------Cruyff

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@BlackShark_80, have you considered Jansen in midfield and Rijkaard in defense as a stopper? Koeman is an odd fit with De Boer but won EURO 1988 alongside Rijkaard with Michels as the coach, and Jansen + Neeskens + Van Hanegem is one of the classic World Cup midfield trios.

Stacks

Mourinho XI would be:
Cech
Ramos Terry Carvalho Cole
Essien Alonso
Eto'o Lampard Ronaldo
Drogba

Cech over DDG because he conceded less goals. Not that he is the better keeper but the formidable defensive record of Chelsea 04-07 is why he gets in the team.
Which Alonso is that, Xabi? They won one title together in 3 seasons and the 3rd season was calamitous. and surely Makelele would be in there.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It's got to be a back 3 with Trap IMO given the success he had with it in Turin and Milan. The only problem is finding a RWB better than Reuter or a more defensive type like Bergomi. You're right about Brehme, I'd got my timeline mixed up there. I'm not sold on the defence as you can take the decision to build round Scirea rather than combine him with Passarella in a 3. In the modern game though I think they'd both play alongside a man-marker. Kohler is a must - he was at the peak of his powers for Juve around 1992. If it's about the best fits in a zona mista, I'd go for:

That Trap side is insane :eek::eek::eek: