Manager's Press Conference - 2pm BST

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
The boss says "my teams are different than Mr. Van Gaal’s" and admits: "It’s a difficult situation to change the dynamics - it would be easier for me to have 20 new players and start from zero. After two years of work, there are things in their brains that are automatic. That’s difficult to change, but we are working hard and the players are giving everything to adapt. Step by step, my team is going to be my team."

ChaddyP

We still didn't learn LVGs philosophy but yet, we are taking a while to unphilosophise our self's... fecking Louis!

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
After this pretty sure now the supposed ‘rumours’ of outgoing players are confirmed. Mourinho was very clear he usually works only with 20 field players + 3 goalkeepers, but he's making an exception here (supposedly only) because of Europa League being played on Thursday (which might be a good thing for the youngsters, actually!). So, it seems the likes of Bo-Jack, McNair, Schweinsteiger, Pereira, Januzaj, Keane or Wilson are confirmed of having no chance of staying.

Someone

Something
I'm almost certain, he has spoken of other players from other teams before.
He talks about wenger in his sleep and most likely during sex.

Both klopp and wenger were asked about the deal and they gave normal answers, unethical is a pretty bizarre word to describe their comments.

Woodzy

Basically saying that Van Gaal turned our players into mindless drones.

Which is also how I felt watching LvG's team play football.

ChaddyP

Both klopp and wenger were asked about the deal and they gave normal answers, unethical is a pretty bizarre word to describe their comments.
I agree, especially when it's seemingly so close. I mean if a fee is agreed feck sake you can talk about the player a wee bit

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He thinks it's unethical that other managers are commenting about the pogba deal, give me a break.
:lol:

Didn't know Mourinho knew the word 'ethical'.:D

Jazz

As long as he doesn't use this as an excuse when we lose games....

AndyJ1985

Indeed, which is why anyone expecting us to magically transform in to an exciting, fluid and dynamic team during pre season is being unreasonable. It'll take time to get rid of van Gaal's influence.

CG1010

What did they say?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
BOSS: SMALLING AND FOSU-MENSAH IN TRAINING

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed Chris Smalling and Tim Fosu-Mensah have returned to training ahead of Sunday's Community Shield match at Wembley.

The two defenders were both pictured at the Aon Training Complex on Friday morning after missing the recent pre-season matches against Everton and Galatasaray, and Mourinho gave a positive update on the pair during an exclusive pre-match interview with MUTV.

“They are fine now,” the manager reported. “They have recovered and they are training with the group as normal, so they are fine. Everybody needs minutes - that is the reality. We had so little time to play and Smalling is a player who has not even played one minute, but it is a little bit the same for everyone.”

Expanding on the players’ attitude to training, Mourinho continued: “The reality is that they are working magnificently well, they are working really hard and I am really confident for the season because of the attitude they have. Of course we need time but in training they use every minute they have on the pitch to try to improve and adapt to new ideas. I couldn’t be more pleased.”

Although Mourinho does not have any injuries to worry about, the manager is still trying to improve the fitness of the players who reported late to training following their participation at various international tournaments this summer. For example Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Matteo Darmian, Marouane Fellaini, Morgan Schneiderlin and Anthony Martial only joined the group last week.

“One thing is to start five weeks ago like some of them and another thing is to start one week ago, it is completely different,” Mourinho told MUTV on Friday. “But with the way we work we try to bring them on as fast as we can. I won’t say to top form but to a level where they are ready to compete.

“That is the reality of modern football, especially when you are a team with a lot of players that go to the Euros and the Copa America. They come later, they don’t have enough holiday and we have to make them ready for the competition in a short period of time.

“It is hard but this is what we have and complaining or crying is not the way to do it. The way to do is to work hard, like they are doing all the time.”

Kaos

Pogba coming in is going to be a huge factor for unvangaalising our team. He'll be our only midfielder not lobotomised into a mindless drone, so our attackers and surrounding midfielders will have to adapt very quickly to his more dynamic style of play. Of course you can also make the opposite argument but this is where I hope Mourinho's coaching comes in.

Jazz

Seriously, doesn't anyone feel a tad uneasy that Mourinho is slating LVG's methods? Is it really necessary to do that? I mean, they had a long friendship, and like it or not, LVG had great belief in Jose's ability and gave him the opportunity to manage whilst they worked at Barcelona together. Yes LVG drove us nuts, but somehow it doesn't feel right for a former friend to do this publicly.

SirAnderson

:) Good enough presser this. Of all the points he mentioned, one of them stands out for me.

Question was on LVG's way of play being different to Jose's way of play.
In his attempt to emphasis that the journalist said different and not better, he goes on to say that he has to re-train what has become automatic in the minds of the players. For 2 years they have been doing things a particular way*, and that it is very difficult to change that but that eventually he says "step by step, my team will be my team."

* (particular way means) (and now I exaggerate a bit) "Hey Louie, I'm trying to undo the philosophy that you inculcated into the heads of my players, they still scared they will be shipped to the reserves if they pass forward or try to shoot outside the box, they still looking to see if the camera's are watching them only to be pointed to their mistakes publicly afterward, still worried that they will get an email pointing out their lack of match rhythm and that they are not horny enough...all the while the words still ring in their ears 'LOUIE VAN GAAL'S ARMY' 'LOUIE VAN GAAL'S ARMY'.

In other words...I respect you LVG but my goodness I have got my work cut out for me! :lol:

CamuNoir

Hope mou doesn't use van gaal as an excuse when he lose games.
I'm sick of hearing excuses from our manager.

Someone

Something
What did they say?
Wenger
Commenting on Pogba's mega-money move to Old Trafford, Wenger said: 'It is completely crazy if you cannot afford to pay it. If you can afford to pay it you can justify it.

'It is completely crazy if you compare it to normal life. That is for sure. But we live in a world where every activity that is worldwide makes a lot of money.
Klopp
'If you bring one player in for £100m and he gets injured, then it all goes through the chimney,' he said.

'The day that this is football, I'm not in a job anymore, because the game is about playing together.

Crimson King

Seriously, doesn't anyone feel a tad uneasy that Mourinho is slating LVG's methods? Is it really necessary to do that? I mean, they had a long friendship, and like it or not, LVG had great belief in Jose's ability and gave him the opportunity to manage whilst they worked at Barcelona together. Yes LVG drove us nuts, but somehow it doesn't feel right for a former friend to do this publicly.
I'm not sure he's really slating his methods, rather pointing out he has different ideas and it could take some time for this to show after the players have spent 2 years playing and training a different way.

Android1974

This is how things he never said become truths (like ‘A special one’ and ‘THE special one’). Can you specify what did he said that amounted to ‘slating’ Van Gaal's methods? Mourinho just said he had different ones and he even underlined he wasn't saying they were better than Van Gaal's, and was waiting to build the team at his own image. For Christ sake!

SirAnderson

haha, I noticed that dig yeah. But in truth it could be his scapegoat a little bit into the season. "The players are still adapting from the past 2 years of how to play"
He didn't really need to say that, he could have just said yes I play different and hopefully the guys will adapt soon. He knows exactly why he gave more than he needed too! :) seems like you can't take the mind games out of Jose, even subtly he will get his points across. Even his statement of not speaking on other clubs and their spending, he mentions we don't need to by 10 players, just 4. haha, that for me is a comparison to another club.
Anyway, I have no problem with him doing this, as long as he backs up what he says by delivering a squad that will do what on paper it says it will do.

Zoo

He made it clear that he didn't think his methods were better then Van Gaal's just different. I also agree with him about other managers talking about our transfers, Wenger has spoken about it twice already.

RedAle

He actually pointed out specifically that his methods aren't necessarily better, just different.

Jazz

This is how things he never said become truths (like ‘A special one’ and ‘THE special one’). Can you specify what did he said that amounted to ‘slating’ Van Gaal's methods? Mourinho just said he had different ones and he even underlined he wasn't saying they were better than Van Gaal's, and was waiting to build the team at his own image. For Christ sake!
It just seems a bit snide and unnecessary to me. I'm sensitive woman after all.
No need to get defensive about Mourinho. Look I support him as well - but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Every new manager has the same problem when taking over a bunch of players used to one way of doing things

I really hope he doesnt mention that ever again

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Pogba coming in is going to be a huge factor for unvangaalising our team. He'll be our only midfielder not lobotomised into a mindless drone, so our attackers and surrounding midfielders will have to adapt very quickly to his more dynamic style of play. Of course you can also make the opposite argument but this is where I hope Mourinho's coaching comes in.
Is this an anagram of "galvanising"? It really should be.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'Fact is, the players have got away with it again - while the notion of The Madness of King Louis becomes a convenient 'truth', the club won't acknowledge that the players were too unprofessional and too intellectually incurious to adapt to van Gaal's methods.

Dyslexic Untied

After this pretty sure now the supposed ‘rumours’ of outgoing players are confirmed. Mourinho was very clear he usually works only with 20 field players + 3 goalkeepers, but he's making an exception here (supposedly only) because of Europa League being played on Thursday (which might be a good thing for the youngsters, actually!). So, it seems the likes of Bo-Jack, McNair, Schweinsteiger, Pereira, Januzaj, Keane or Wilson are confirmed of having no chance of staying.
Which is fair enough I guess. I love seeing youngsters break through, but you can only bring through so many at a time. Rashford, Fosu-Mensah and possibly Tuanzebe being given playing time this year is great.

Android1974

It just seems a bit snide and unnecessary to me. I'm sensitive woman after all.
No need to get defensive about Mourinho. Look I support him as well - but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he says.
Yeah, sure. But could you please not agree with something he did say, instead of something he didn't say?

Jazz

haha, I noticed that dig yeah. But in truth it could be his scapegoat a little bit into the season. "The players are still adapting from the past 2 years of how to play"
He didn't really need to say that, he could have just said yes I play different and hopefully the guys will adapt soon. He knows exactly why he gave more than he needed too! :) seems like you can't take the mind games out of Jose, even subtly he will get his points across. Even his statement of not speaking on other clubs and their spending, he mentions we don't need to by 10 players, just 4. haha, that for me is a comparison to another club.
Anyway, I have no problem with him doing this, as long as he backs up what he says by delivering a squad that will do what on paper it says it will do.
That's the point I guess I'm trying to make. Also sounded (whether he intended it or not) like he would be using this as an excuse if the season doesn't go the way we want.

It's just a completely unnecessary dig imho. As far as we know, LVG never did a thing to him, so why say this? And yes, I can see I won't like him too much as a person, but I will tolerate him, as long as we win.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was it really a dig? Seems like common sense. The players have had two years to get used to Van Gaal's way of doing things, so it's going to take them a while to break those ingrained habits and do what Mou wants instead. I don't even see an implied criticism in that.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Schweini, Keane and Januzaj can be sold. CBJ, McNair, Pereira and Wilson should be loans.

Jazz

Yeah, sure. But could you please not agree with something he did say, instead of something he didn't say?
What do you mean? He made the comment and a poster here gave an example of another way that he could have put his point across instead of what he did say. Don't see why you're getting upset.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
BOSS: SMALLING AND FOSU-MENSAH IN TRAINING

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has confirmed Chris Smalling and Tim Fosu-Mensah have returned to training ahead of Sunday's Community Shield match at Wembley.

The two defenders were both pictured at the Aon Training Complex on Friday morning after missing the recent pre-season matches against Everton and Galatasaray, and Mourinho gave a positive update on the pair during an exclusive pre-match interview with MUTV.

“They are fine now,” the manager reported. “They have recovered and they are training with the group as normal, so they are fine. Everybody needs minutes - that is the reality. We had so little time to play and Smalling is a player who has not even played one minute, but it is a little bit the same for everyone.”

Expanding on the players’ attitude to training, Mourinho continued: “The reality is that they are working magnificently well, they are working really hard and I am really confident for the season because of the attitude they have. Of course we need time but in training they use every minute they have on the pitch to try to improve and adapt to new ideas. I couldn’t be more pleased.”

Although Mourinho does not have any injuries to worry about, the manager is still trying to improve the fitness of the players who reported late to training following their participation at various international tournaments this summer. For example Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Matteo Darmian, Marouane Fellaini, Morgan Schneiderlin and Anthony Martial only joined the group last week.

“One thing is to start five weeks ago like some of them and another thing is to start one week ago, it is completely different,” Mourinho told MUTV on Friday. “But with the way we work we try to bring them on as fast as we can. I won’t say to top form but to a level where they are ready to compete.

“That is the reality of modern football, especially when you are a team with a lot of players that go to the Euros and the Copa America. They come later, they don’t have enough holiday and we have to make them ready for the competition in a short period of time.

“It is hard but this is what we have and complaining or crying is not the way to do it. The way to do is to work hard, like they are doing all the time.”
I thought TFM was being sold.