Managers that retired with their legacy running concurrent (not old glory of a now jaded soul)?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ferguson retired a champion with little to no doubt that issues outside of the game were the only reason he shouldn't continue.

We see numerous managers come and go, and by the time they have exited stage left, their time as the all-conquering force that earned them their plaudits, has long since dried up. Many even become antiquated and out of touch with their football no longer cutting, or certainly nothing like it was regarded at their apex.

If Jose had retired in 2010, his legacy would be wholly different to what it is going to end up being, unless of course, he can turn it around. The same is happening to Pep - had he retired a few years ago, he'd be immortalised as something I think he can no longer be regarded as, unless, of course, he too can turn it around.

Clough, Cappello, Trappatoni, Sacchi, Lippi, Simeone all roll off the tongue as managers whose apex came and went by the time they were done, all of them seen as spent forces by the end, Simeone ongoing, accepted.

Klopp's time in the sun is now, but will he eventually go the same way as his peers, or, like a Ferguson, can he constantly re-invent, rebuild and restructure and go out on his own terms?

In terms of what this topic is about, who would you rate as the 5 greatest managers to have graced the game? Who came and went on their own terms, and were undoubtedly top class at the very end of their managerial careers? How many were not 'found out' and instead grew and adapted to the game in whatever guise it was being played in? If you can't think of winningest, top dog managers, how about the next rung down? managers whose results never dropped below a certain bar, who could guarantee success, relative to their remit, right to the very end of their managerial careers?

Ferguson is the #1 of all-time in this regard, imo, but who are the next 4 in line?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Heynckes would probably be up there. Didn't Bayern want him to continue when he left as champion for the final time?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
A few names that immediately spring to mind for this category:
  • Bob Paisley: First Division and League Cup winner at the time of his retirement...as well as the League Managers Association Manager of the Year (like Fergie in 2013).
  • Aimé Jacquet: called it quits after the 1998 World Cup, the jour de gloire of his career — impeccable sense of timing there, I'd say.
  • Herbert Chapman: led the league at the time of his passing (his successor Joe Shaw duly won it in 1934), and was also the reigning First Division winner with Arsenal.
Jupp is a brilliant nomination as well, @Chipper — righted the ship, won the Bundesliga and reached the Champions League semi-final vs. eventual champions Madrid.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Just been doing some further reading up, 2 of Liverpool's legends have to be up there too.

Bill Shankly - won the league in his penultimate season, runners up and FA Cup winners in his final year.

Bob Paisley - finished as a league winner and and league cup winner.

Didnt Rinus Michels end his career with the European Championship? I dont remember him ever failing anywhere.

Chipper

Adulterer.
A few names that immediately spring to mind for this category:
  • Bob Paisley: First Division and League Cup winner at the time of his retirement...as well as the League Managers Association Manager of the Year (like Fergie in 2013).
  • Aimé Jacquet: called it quits after the 1998 World Cup, the jour de gloire of his career — impeccable sense of timing there, I'd say.
  • Herbert Chapman: led the league at the time of his passing (his successor Joe Shaw duly won it in 1934), and was also the reigning First Division winner with Arsenal.
Jupp is a brilliant nomination as well, @Chipper — righted the ship, won the Bundesliga and reached the Champions League semi-final vs. eventual champions Madrid.
Cheers, I thought of mentioning Chapman like you too after doing a bit of research but was unsure because of his death and whether or not it should count alongside those choosing to retire. Same thing with Valeriy Lobanovskyi.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Maybe the wrong thread but I'd like to mention Big Sam. How he has kept his touch for turning around poor teams and fractured dressing rooms, dicing with relegation almost every time he has stepped into a new role yet never having suffering the drop is damned impressive. West Brom were by no means a complete lost cause but I think they would have gone down had Slav stayed in post, so if he again gets this team to fourth worst or above he's done another superb rescue job. He has never been elite by any stretch of the imagination (only England manager with a 100% win record notwithstanding) but in terms of a consistent legacy of delivering what is asked of him he's well up there, certainly in English management.

Foxbatt

Stefan Kovacs, The Romanian who won two EC with Ajax.
Yes big Sam should become a legend if he keeps wba in the PL. The only man who believes his own hype which is bigger than his size.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Maybe the wrong thread but I'd like to mention Big Sam. How he has kept his touch for turning around poor teams and fractured dressing rooms, dicing with relegation almost every time he has stepped into a new role yet never having suffering the drop is damned impressive. West Brom were by no means a complete lost cause but I think they would have gone down had Slav stayed in post, so if he again gets this team to fourth worst or above he's done another superb rescue job. He has never been elite by any stretch of the imagination (only England manager with a 100% win record notwithstanding) but in terms of a consistent legacy of delivering what is asked of him he's well up there, certainly in English management.
On the contrary, it's the perfect thread for people like him. I get that many managers don't even get the chance to leave in a blaze of glory as a winner of their league or some other major trophy. One has to only look through most leagues at any given time to see that managers are usually shown the door because they're no longer able to deliver what is required of them. It happens so routinely, it's not generally even thought about.

Big Sam, despite criticism, seems to be able to deliver on his remit time and time again to the point one might say he's a sure thing. Him outright failing is a blip on a rock-solid CV. It doesn't seem to matter when he's drafted in, either - he's able to adapt and remain resolute where the majority from his era are now past their best and probably not able to do what they once could.

Personally, I feel it's a special kind of manager who can come in during any era, observe the landscape and know exactly what needs to be done, rather than having a strict dogma that he lives or dies by irrespective of whether it's fit for purpose or now well past sell by date. It's amazing how many literal all-time great managers fell on their own sword in this way.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Harry Redknapp was getting Spurs close or into the champions league late on in his career, nice fast football too. Can’t remember if he went to Portsmouth or not after that and I’m not putting up there as one of the 5 greatest managers either, but he hung around a while doing well

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You have to consider their tenure as well.

If they managed only 5 season and won 3 vs a manager ljke wenger who despite successful in trophy counts tooks 2 decades to reach.

And what defines succesful manager? Winning 3 title and 1 cl is already considered very good.

Our expectations on manager is based on saf which is rather an anomaly.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Walter Smith is worth a shout given his longevity, how he adapted his approach upon his return to management, and retired whilst at the top of his game. He was assistant to Jim McLean for one of the finest teams of the 1980s in Dundee United, then won 9-in-a-row with Rangers in the 1990s. After a few years off, he came back to Scotland in 2004 and transformed the side, matching up to France and Italy and improving the world ranking by 70 places. Then to Rangers where he reached the UEFA Cup Final and won 3 consecutive league titles before retiring. Attack-minded in the 1990s, he became more tactically astute and pragmatic in his post-2000 career, which served him well at all levels. I don't think there will be many examples of managers who have had a spell out and returned even better, nor many who have gone back to a club where they had such success before and replicated it again.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
You have to consider their tenure as well.

If they managed only 5 season and won 3 vs a manager ljke wenger who despite successful in trophy counts tooks 2 decades to reach.
Eh?

If Wenger had retired in 2006 he'd have been considered up there with Jose, etc.

August 1996 - Appointed Manager (Arsenal 12th previous season)
1998 Double
2002 Double + Invicibles
2004 Premier League
2005 FA Cup
2006 Champions League Runners Up

But he could never just leave without winning Europe.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Walter Smith is worth a shout given his longevity, how he adapted his approach upon his return to management, and retired whilst at the top of his game. He was assistant to Jim McLean for one of the finest teams of the 1980s in Dundee United, then won 9-in-a-row with Rangers in the 1990s. After a few years off, he came back to Scotland in 2004 and transformed the side, matching up to France and Italy and improving the world ranking by 70 places. Then to Rangers where he reached the UEFA Cup Final and won 3 consecutive league titles before retiring. Attack-minded in the 1990s, he became more tactically astute and pragmatic in his post-2000 career, which served him well at all levels. I don't think there will be many examples of managers who have had a spell out and returned even better, nor many who have gone back to a club where they had such success before and replicated it again.
A few years off? He was Fergie's assistant wasn't he? :lol:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
On the contrary, it's the perfect thread for people like him. I get that many managers don't even get the chance to leave in a blaze of glory as a winner of their league or some other major trophy. One has to only look through most leagues at any given time to see that managers are usually shown the door because they're no longer able to deliver what is required of them. It happens so routinely, it's not generally even thought about.

Big Sam, despite criticism, seems to be able to deliver on his remit time and time again to the point one might say he's a sure thing. Him outright failing is a blip on a rock-solid CV. It doesn't seem to matter when he's drafted in, either - he's able to adapt and remain resolute where the majority from his era are now past their best and probably not able to do what they once could.

Personally, I feel it's a special kind of manager who can come in during any era, observe the landscape and know exactly what needs to be done, rather than having a strict dogma that he lives or dies by irrespective of whether it's fit for purpose or now well past sell by date. It's amazing how many literal all-time great managers fell on their own sword in this way.
I never understand why so many people are baffled or surprised whenever Big Sam is linked to and is offered yet another Premier League job. It's because of his track record and it's thoroughly deserved. Why shouldn't he be in the frame when Premier League jobs become available?

There's no way that he should be lumped together with the likes of Pardew and Hughes, neither of whom should be let near a Premier League club ever again. I'm grateful to Hughes for his excellent work with us, but that success made him incredibly arrogant, and I think that he has more and maxed out that credit.

That said the West Brom team that he has inherited is noticeably weaker than the struggling Blackburn, Sunderland and Palace teams that he inherited in the past (and is weaker than the West Ham team that he took over in the Championship), so if he keeps them up this season that would be a truly outstanding achievement.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This thread is all about perception to be honest

If there are some people who think Ferguson would be any less of a manager if his last few years with us were spent in midtable then I don't know what to tell such people.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
No one really leaves at their peak. Even with SAF there were plenty of complaints towards the end. You could mention Hitzfeld, who retired from club football after he won the double with Bayern. But the truth is that his status had faded by then and in general there are always little innovations and societal changes and at some point the coaches can't really keep up anymore. Some deal better with it than others, but in the end they all get overtaken by the younger generations.

littleman

No one really leaves at their peak. Even with SAF there were plenty of complaints towards the end. You could mention Hitzfeld, who retired from club football after he won the double with Bayern. But the truth is that his status had faded by then and in general there are always little innovations and societal changes and at some point the coaches can't really keep up anymore. Some deal better with it than others, but in the end they all get overtaken by the younger generations.
There's a bunch of history rewriting happening for sure. Last 2-3 seasons with SAF were hard to watch at times -- a snoozefest.

RVP sort of reversed that by making things exciting again. But the midfield play was honestly abysmal, we didn't have fluidity through the spine of the team, we just got the ball to the forwards and hoped some magic would see us through.

Abhinav

There's a bunch of history rewriting happening for sure. Last 2-3 seasons with SAF were hard to watch at times -- a snoozefest.

RVP sort of reversed that by making things exciting again. But the midfield play was honestly abysmal, we didn't have fluidity through the spine of the team, we just got the ball to the forwards and hoped some magic would see us through.
Be that as it may, in his last 5 years as a manager he won the PL twice, won the league cup, was a CL finalist and was one point away from winning another PL. And just before that he arguably built one of his finest teams between 2006-09. Its pretty hard to argue he didn’t leave close to his peak.

littleman

Be that as it may, in his last 5 years as a manager he won the PL twice, won the league cup, was a CL finalist and was one point away from winning another PL. And just before that he arguably built one of his finest teams between 2006-09. Its pretty hard to argue he didn’t leave close to his peak.
Oh, it wasn't the case that he left in shame. He left in a position of relative strength and ANY normal manager would die to have those last 5 years that he had. It's just that those last few years were hard to stomach, swashbuckling 90s United it was NOT.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think you're missing a key part of Ferguson's makeup - something he proved time and time and time again - he could gut a squad, coaching staff, #2's and remake a side from scratch if he wanted to. Speculation abound that he knew he had to call time on his career because of the declining health of his wife's sister (I believe), hence why he never went peddle to the floor to deconstruct and re-imagine yet another side or backroom staff (or whatever he felt would've been needed to go again) instead leaving the next man in charge to do as he saw fit... and we know what a disaster that was.

There's no evidence to the contrary to state Ferguson couldn't have done it again. It was a hallmark of his, after all. If you believe he was done and would have been found out if he had stayed on, I can't say much to that, as to my mind, the only thing that would have drawn the curtain down is Father Time.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Oh, it wasn't the case that he left in shame. He left in a position of relative strength and ANY normal manager would die to have those last 5 years that he had. It's just that those last few years were hard to stomach, swashbuckling 90s United it was NOT.
That is not evidence of decline, rather, modification and amendments made to remain competitive with a squad that was weakening and declining by the season. His output remained insane even when he was not being given the funds to compete as befitting a supposed giant club.

Winning titles with a hodgepodge of players others would say it's ridiculous to get title-winning performance out of is to be lauded - I don't think any connection to what he did in the 90's is necessary as he showed that no matter the circumstance, he could and would remain competitive and could get the last drops of title-level performance out of a clearly declining set of players. If anything, his last few years adds to his legacy not takes away from it. In times of austerity he still delivered at a clip I doubt any other manager could.

littleman

That is not evidence of decline, rather, modification and amendments made to remain competitive with a squad that was weakening and declining by the season. His output remained insane even when he was not being given the funds to compete as befitting a supposed giant club.

Winning titles with a hodgepodge of players others would say it's ridiculous to get title-winning performance out of is to be lauded - I don't think any connection to what he did in the 90's is necessary as he showed that no matter the circumstance, he could and would remain competitive and could get the last drops of title-level performance out of a clearly declining set of players. If anything, his last few years adds to his legacy not takes away from it. In times of austerity he still delivered at a clip I doubt any other manager could.
Let me make it plain -- the last few United teams before SAF's retirement was nothing like the peak United teams he had under him for 99 and 07. It was poorer.

All these words for nothing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Let me make it plain -- the last few United teams before SAF's retirement was nothing like the peak United teams he had under him for 99 and 07. It was poorer.

Well... plainly, you're absolutely missing the point.

MoskvaRed

True but was that down to SAF’s relative decline or the financial restrictions he was working under in the early years of the takeover? We’ll never know for sure.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Pep building a team from back to front is going to be an addition to his legacy. This is the first season where he’s overcome adversity and has then gone on to prove his mettle; in an all-time regard, it looks like his story is far from concluded whereas Jose is compounding opinions about his antiquity and going further in the other direction.

KeanoMagicHat

This thread was probably made before Pep’s recent run but Pep and Simeone are still well within their managerial peaks and could have some of their best ever seasons this season. Klopp could go south but it’s also unlikely, it’s a bad patch and injuries, even if it went to shit he’d still be regarded as a great Liverpool manager overall and pick up another top job no problem.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Pep building a team from back to front is going to be an addition to his legacy. This is the first season where he’s overcome adversity and has then gone on to prove his mettle; in an all-time regard, it looks like his story is far from concluded whereas Jose is compounding opinions about his antiquity and going further in the other direction.
Interestingly Guardiola is still going strong during his second decade as a manager at the top level which in itself is rare.

Tom8700

Supports
Bayern
Beckenbauer. In 1990 he wins the World Cup and steps down.
He makes a quick and suprise comeback with Marseille. He wins the national title and reaches the European Cup Final before stepping down.
He makes a suprise Comeback with Bayern in 1994 and wins the Bundesliga. He steps down again.
He the makes a final comeback in 1996 and wins the Uefa Cup before retiring for good. All he ever did was winning.

RobertoBaggio99

Not a retirement per se but that Fellaini guy was bossing the midfield long after Moyes' departure.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
West Brom fans will disagree at the moment.

Sweet Square

Tbh I can see this happening more and more in todays modern game. As the top teams continue to amount a insane amount of resources over other teams.

Pep is one of footballs greats but his career can only happen in todays world, he really is playing real life football manager. Mourinho could have done the same tbh but his career choices have been ''poor''.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
A bit of a battle of the fallen giants tonight in the FA cup