Manchester City 19/20 season

AshRK

Feeling a bit smug we got Maguire now, we don't get many reasons to feel smug lately, so I'll embrace is massively.
From what I have seen so far from Maguire, he would have been a great fit for this city side. In fact him and Laporte could have formed a deadly combo.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Honestly this is a blessing in disguise for City. Stones-Otamendi is a disaster waiting to happen. Fernandinho is someone who can be depended on to keep calm under pressure and not make a big Otamendi/Stones esque mistake.

Stones is really overrated in my opinion. Massive massive fraud. He's very lucky to be playing for City. If he played for any other side in the league bar the top two he would be exposed. Phil Jones 2.0, with less injuries.

Bearded One

I have zero sympathy for them. If they win the league we wouldn't hear the last of their 3 seasons in a row conquest. But then I don't want Liverpool to win it either and so I can't really be arsed about who wins it between the two.

Hope we get our shit together asap.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Honestly this is a blessing in disguise for City. Stones-Otamendi is a disaster waiting to happen. Fernandinho is someone who can be depended on to keep calm under pressure and not make a big Otamendi/Stones esque mistake.

Stones is really overrated in my opinion. Massive massive fraud. He's very lucky to be playing for City. If he played for any other side in the league bar the top two he would be exposed. Phil Jones 2.0, with less injuries.
:lol:

stu_1992

Mental they left themselves so short. Paying for it big time with the injuries, remains to be seen of course if there will be more results for them like at the weekend.

Still as defending champions who's next objective, presumably, is to go and win the Cjampions League, it's just madness.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Looks like we're just playing Otamendi as @adexkola said, Zinchenko vs Salah puts us at a disadvantage. Its those half spaces out wide where Liverpool kill teams.
Yeah no Laporte and no Stones is just a killer. One single fit centre back. Terrible planning for a club with our resources.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No need to laugh, he is right. He hasn't had single season without major mistakes in many games throughout the season, nor showed he is anywhere near top CB. Guardiola being clueless when signing defenders shocker.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
From what I have seen so far from Maguire, he would have been a great fit for this city side. In fact him and Laporte could have formed a deadly combo.
I'm really surprised they didn't try to match your bid. As said his style would've suited Pep down to the ground and he's a more reliable CB than Stones.

As good as Rodri is they've got good depth in the CM area so I didn't feel that signing in the summer was that essential (could've waited until January perhaps to get him) but getting in a CB after Kompany went was essential and now it's really hurting them.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Maybe they should test some of the youth from their famed academy.

Besides Stones is garbage, not much of a loss. They have enough solutions in existing squad itself such as Walker and Fernandinho.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
For the game tomorrow I'm expecting a defence of Cancelo, Fernandinho, Otamendi, Zinchenko. That should be good enough to see us past most teams in the league given our superior midfield and attack but whether we can keep pace with Liverpool is an entirely different question. We could do with Mendy getting match fit as soon as possible because while he's far from excellent defensively he's certainly more competent than Zinchenko. With our current injury problems we must have the shortest team in the league. Ederson must be our only likely starter who is at least six foot tall? That's going to be a big problem. If we had to play Liverpool with our current personnel I genuinely think they'd virtually be guaranteed a goal from a set piece.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Otamendi is worse and he's the only fit one.
I'd back Otamendi over Stones. Both are error prone but I trust Otamendi more and at his best he's an incredible defender whereas Stones even on a good day is nothing special. Stones has never had seasons in football like Otamendi did in 17/18 or his last year at Valencia.

RooneyLegend

I'd back Otamendi over Stones. Both are error prone but I trust Otamendi more and at his best he's an incredible defender whereas Stones even on a good day is nothing special. Stones has never had seasons in football like Otamendi did in 17/18 or his last year at Valencia.
Otamendi just always looks trash to me. He's City's version of Lovren. Stones is far from convincing but I'd have him before Otamendi.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Otamendi just always looks trash to me. He's City's version of Lovren. Stones is far from convincing but I'd have him before Otamendi.
I've always felt that Otamendi is often underrated. His recent performances have done me no favours but I still stand by that view. At any rate I would not even contemplate the idea that Stones is better than him.

tomaldinho1

Given how much money they have ploughed into their academy, surely they have a half decent junior who can be trusted? It's been over 10 years since the takeover, must be some talent in there lurking around

RooneyLegend

I've always felt that Otamendi is often underrated. His recent performances have done me no favours but I still stand by that view. At any rate I would not even contemplate the idea that Stones is better than him.
Agree to disagree.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I'd rather stick Pep at centre back.
Tell me about your outcast experience. I mean, did you get a sudden conversion to liking red? Did you go there undercover? Did you develop a taste for the Ed Woodward school of diplomacy? Or does it have something to do with Denis Law? I dont want to derail the thread but im curious

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Cant believe they let Kompany leave. Hope all these injuries don't affect them too much, for everyones sake.

Okey

Well, maybe we finally get to see the 'highly rated' Eric Garcia. If he can't get a game now I'll have to conclude he's simply not good enough, or Pep just can't trust inexperienced youngsters (in which case they might as well leave like someone suggested earlier) . Same feeling I get wondering how United youngsters can't get a game over massively underperforming senior players.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I’d say the Lovren comparison is accurate. Lovren can have a good run of games where he looks solid and then he’ll make a daft mistake or get caught out and cost his team an entire game on his own. That usually happens in a way similar to what happened to Otamendi on the weekend.

Otamendi seems similar to me. I always thought Stones was better than him.

meamth

This. Though I reckon this is, genuinely, Liverpool's year for the PL...

I might stick a few hundred on it to at least get something out of it.
It's not like Kompany will add up anything anyway aside from filling up the medical room.

They didn't sign anyone, that's the mistake. Letting Kompany go was the right decision because he is declining rapidly in a physically demanding league.

meamth

They were so close from getting a transfer banned. Maybe that's why they were so reserved in their pursuit of top quality CB.