Manchester City 2017-2018 season vs. Liverpool 2019-2020 season: what team is better?

matbezlima

Manchester City 2017-2018 season vs. Liverpool 2019-2020 season: what team is better?

Skills

Snitch
City were more dominant & played much better football.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Man City. They played better football and I’m not convinced we would’ve reached 100 points had the season continued as normal. We were looking tired.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The Blue team. I’m not really a believer in the media narrative that Liverpool play brilliant football, although that is subjective of course. To me, they are pretty much ‘Death by a thousand crosses’. That home game against Atleti for example where they believe they were so robbed and hard done by was just an exhibition of their full-backs hopefully crossing the ball in the hope to ‘cause panic’ or something.

Garry Buck

City no doubt played the better brand of Football but Liverpool’s energy and work rate can’t be dismissed. Oh and VAR.

SAFMUTD

City by far, Liverpool where better results wise but in many games they struggle and ended up getting a late goal or not looking as dominant, while City was always under control.

Its just a matter of opinion but I’ve never seem a team as good as city 2017/2018 in the premier league.

AshRK

Man city 17-18 hands down. They were better to watch and played much better football than this Liverpool side.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Even though I think that City was the better side, I believe that Liverpool would beat them in a one-off game more often than not.

Funny how that works.

Sweet Square

City easily.

What Liverpool have done is quite impressive but jesus they are one of dullest teams around.

cyril C

I would say City 2018-2019 was better, because winning Domestic Triple was historic, 2nd only after our International Triple, ever in English football history.

If you insist on comparing City 2017-2018 Vs Liverpool 2019-20. City beat Liverpool by a mile, simply because City achieved 2 trophy when Liverpool can only achieve 0.9. Even City's 2019 season might collect more than 1 trophy if wasn't for the pandemic.

How many people would remember Liverpool's 9X point runner-up? Possibly best runner-up in the world, ever. If you don't win something, you are nobody.

City can achieve all these because their squad is deeper, whereas Liverpool only has 13-15 players who are good enough.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's funny how when it comes to Liverpool this season people want to devalue them by calling them boring and bland, while it comes to Jose's Chelsea from 04-06 the same attributes are taken as positives and they are labeled as a brilliant team.

The fact is this Liverpool team have dropped points in only 2 games this whole season in 29 games, that's quite brilliant no matter how you would want to demean their playing style. It would be difficult to say who is better since Liverpool will most likely not be able to finish the season and try to match the points total set by City that season, but they were certainly going towards that record.

City were certainly much better to watch in that 17/18 season but in a one off game this Liverpool team would still beat them, heck the 17/18 Liverpool beat them over 4 games tie that season iirc.

TheReligion

Abusive
How is this even an question? Whatever happens now Liverpool have been shafted. This season is going to be the least memorable in history and will always be overshadowed by the pandemic. The halt in events has already damaged the credibility of the the PL. To top it off they had been hammered by Watford, lost their precious unbeaten run and dumped out of both remaining cup competitions. Even if the seasons integrity had held it was going to be a regular title win. Nothing more.

Djemba-Djemba

I would say City 2018-2019 was better, because winning Domestic Triple was historic, 2nd only after our International Triple, ever in English football history.

If you insist on comparing City 2017-2018 Vs Liverpool 2019-20. City beat Liverpool by a mile, simply because City achieved 2 trophy when Liverpool can only achieve 0.9. Even City's 2019 season might collect more than 1 trophy if wasn't for the pandemic.

How many people would remember Liverpool's 9X point runner-up? Possibly best runner-up in the world, ever. If you don't win something, you are nobody.

City can achieve all these because their squad is deeper, whereas Liverpool only has 13-15 players who are good enough.
To be fair you'd have to say Liverpools League, League Cup and European Cup win in 1984 was better than City's treble in 2019. I'd have that second after our 99 Treble.

City were much much more dominant in 17/18 than Liverpool were this season. The Liverpool point total is incredible and I'll admit I didn't watch them loads but whenever I did they rarely seemed to play that great. They'd just do enough to win.

Where as City in 17/18 just completely dominated every game it felt like, they looked unstoppable. How we won that Derby to stop them winning the title against us I'll never know :lol:

cyberman

This Liverpool side. I have to include their CL runs since its basically the same side.
What Liverpool are doing with basically 15 players is amazing.

Josh 76

The Liverpool team 17/18 was better. 1 defeat in season
CL winners
Brand of football was intense and entertaining.

This season they have played in patches, scrapping victories and more long balls and crosses.

But obviously people will say City won the PL that season, so that's where this argument fails.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
City, as they actually crossed the 100 points mark. Can't compare completed seasons with uncompleted ones.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
If the match was played in 2018 then Man City. If the match was played in 2020 with VAR then Liverpool.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It's funny how when it comes to Liverpool this season people want to devalue them by calling them boring and bland, while it comes to Jose's Chelsea from 04-06 the same attributes are taken as positives and they are labeled as a brilliant team.

The fact is this Liverpool team have dropped points in only 2 games this whole season in 29 games, that's quite brilliant no matter how you would want to demean their playing style. It would be difficult to say who is better since Liverpool will most likely not be able to finish the season and try to match the points total set by City that season, but they were certainly going towards that record.

City were certainly much better to watch in that 17/18 season but in a one off game this Liverpool team would still beat them, heck the 17/18 Liverpool beat them over 4 games tie that season iirc.
Not sure what the comparison with Chelsea has to do with anything in this debate, but in any case I found that Chelsea more dominant and solid than this Liverpool - even though I wasn't a fan of their brand of football.

Also, your only point to contest the overwhelming consensus in this thread is to say "they have loads of points" - which no one is contesting, and which is the reason why there's a discussion in the first place. Sure, it's impressive. It just means a lot less than some narrative is trying to suggest when you've actually watched them all season, and had watched City that season. It's not just about style or brand of football - City had all that with results to back it up. They were formidable domestically that season, one of the best teams in PL history over the course of one season. This Liverpool team is similar to the Arsenal invicibles (just a notch below), in that on the face of it, their achievements seem impressive, but when you dig a little deeper, it's not quite as mind blowing.

arnie_ni

City's team was more impressive that season than we are this.

This Liverpool team is top 5/6 in Premier League history though.
Not in a particular order but:
United treble 98 99
Chelsea jose that broke the defensive record
Ares invincibles
Utd 07 08
City 17 18
This years liverpool

Is that your top 6?

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It was amazing that City in 2017/2018, and Liverpool so far in 2019/2020, basically never had a blip in the league and never went more than 1 league game without a win.

Web of Bissaka

Season, definitely City 17/18 easily, from start to finish they were in ridiculous cruise control. Pool 19/20 slipping off near the end of this season.

But I imagine if we make them fight one-on-one, better bet 'll be on Liverpool 2019 version.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
City.

Liverpool are good but a large part of their dominance is a result of just how poor the Premier League has been this season. Leicester and Sheffield United in Champions League ffs?

Skills

Snitch
Even though I think that City was the better side, I believe that Liverpool would beat them in a one-off game more often than not.

Funny how that works.
Liverpool are a bad match up for them - similar to how Atletico were a bad match up for Liverpool. City can beat them though as they've shown over the last few years (they should've done the double over them last season), but the game is on the edge of a knife because their style plays into Liverpool's strengths.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I thought City won 4 trophies the following season. 2017-18 they just won PL and CC.

But yeah I'd take City for several reasons

1. Better at scoring goals, by far
2. Better aesthetically
3. Very good defensively (they only conceded 27 goals that season. And if you're going to be obtuse and argue that they didn't concede many goals just because they kept the ball well... There are many ways to defend)

Liverpool this season are close though. They may not be as pleasing on the eye but they have been nearly as dominant as City against all teams. The best match Liverpool played this season in my humble opinion is their 2-1 win against Spurs at Anfield. They threw the kitchen sink at Spurs in a way I've not seen since SAF's last great team did. It was like a vice that just kept squeezing Spurs more and more until they burst. And their defense is better than City's that season.

But yeah, Citeh

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It was amazing that City in 2017/2018, and Liverpool so far in 2019/2020, basically never had a blip in the league and never went more than 1 league game without a win.
I think the run-in in 2019 was extraordinary from both sides. Successful season for both: City with their 4 titles, Liverpool with the big ears cup

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think the run-in in 2019 was extraordinary from both sides. Successful season for both: City with their 4 titles, Liverpool with the big ears cup
Agreed a ridiculously good standard. I know Liverpool had that period starting with the defeat away to City with 4 wins, 4 draws and 1 defeat from 9 games, but I think it would be incredibly harsh to say that they blew the title last season, when they that was basically their only blip of the league season, and they rebounded to end it with 9 straight wins.

Fair-play to them for being encouraged and not down-hearted after missing out with 97 points, although winning the Champions League would surely have helped confidence-wise. At the start of this season, I thought that if Liverpool and City were fairly evenly poised before Liverpool's trip to the Qatar for the Club World Cup, that could benefit City, but of course Liverpool went to Qatar which such a huge big lead that it wasn't a relevant factor.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
City offcourse

I'll even say that City 19/20 at their best was better than Liverpool 19/20, they were just not as consistent in winning as Liverpool was.