Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
And several high up representatives of UEFA with some unbelievable new lining in their pockets

I can’t see the Ban standing

footballs dodgy as hell with the wonga these days, payoffs occurring left right and centre

What’s several million in bribery pay outs when it keeps you in the CL and all it brings
Then maybe all the big teams need to flaunt FFP and then try banning them all. If they do then stand by and watch their CL fall to pieces.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Drowning in the Nile (denial)

It will be annoying but it will be deserved as much as we don't like it. It's now up to us to sort ourselves out and go and knock them off again. We've done it once we can do it again
Bet it wont take 30 years like they did,

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Accor replaced Fly Emirates and there is more links between Accor and Qatar then there was between Fly Emirates and Qatar. You probably know who is the PDG of Accord(Bazin) and who is the administrator(Sarkozy), now have a look at who is one of the major shareholders(QIA).
The biggest outside investor of Accor is Jin Jiang, a chinese company, Qatar only owns 11% of Accor. Also, Sarkozy is one administrator in a 10 persons board. You don't rule a company with 11% of the shares especially when someone owns more than you and both the PDG or adminstrators can be revoked by the shareholders if they snap their fingers. So is there ties, yes. Is there something abnormal about those ties? No because Bazin and Sarkozy are accountable before their shareholders and if the deal isn't good for the group, they could be fired tomorrow. According to FFP regulations, Accor is not a related party, and according to commercial laws, Accor isn't controled by Qatar.

Last edited:

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
was just listening to the BBC Football daily podcast. The number of hoops the british journos there were going through to defend City or put positive spin on this news was fecking embarrassing. Don't think anyone of them said a single word what City did was wrong.
That was utterly embarrassing, yes. Was like a PR piece. The worst was some former City player that nobody remembers, spouting absolute nonsense
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51508524

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The biggest outside investor of Accor is Jin Jiang, a chinese company, Qatar only owns 11% of the company. Also, Sarkozy is one administrator in a 10 persons board. You don't rule a company with 11% of the shares especially when someone owns more than you and both the PDG or adminstrators can be revoked by the shareholders if they snap their fingers. So is their ties, yes. Is there something abnormal about those ties? No because Bazin and Sarkozy are accountable before their shareholders and if the deal isn't good for the group, they could be fired tomorrow. According to FFP regulations, Accor is not a related party, and according to commercial laws, Accor isn't controled by Qatar.
I didn't tell you that PSG were in breach of the rules or that QIA controlled Accor, I told you that they have more ties than they had with Fly Emirates. It's also important to remember that Accor has multi billions deals with Qatar(QTA). We both know what they are doing, so lets not pretend that they are not both using each others and that one of them concerns PSG, I personally don't have a problem with it, I don't like FFP as it is today and I think that PSG owners are being smart about it because it's obvious enough to not be labelled as deceiving but it's also not direct enough to give the UEFA an easy shot.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I didn't tell you that PSG were in breach of the rules or that QIA controlled Accor, I told you that they have more ties than they had with Fly Emirates. It's also important to remember that Accor has multi billions deals with Qatar(QTA). We both know what they are doing, so lets not pretend that they are not both using each others and that one of them concerns PSG, I personally don't have a problem with it, I don't like FFP as it is today and I think that PSG owners are being smart about it because it's obvious enough to not be labelled as deceiving but it's also not direct enough to give the UEFA an easy shot.
You're just being disingenuous. A 11% share is nothing, look towards Juve and Bayern for shady stuff with shirt sponsors and shareholders.

Green_Red

It'll 100% get turned over though, right.
Why? They broke the financial rules, it's a fairly simple conclusion. A rugby league team in Australia, Melbourne Storm had 5 league titles taken away from them when it was discovered they had broken financial rules. That never got turned over. Fair is fair. If you do the crime you do the time.

Green_Red

Why? They broke the financial rules, it's a fairly simple conclusion. A rugby league team in Australia, Melbourne Storm, had 5 league titles taken away from them when it was discovered they had broken financial rules. That never got turned over. Fair is fair. If you do the crime you do the time.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Why? They broke the financial rules, it's a fairly simple conclusion. A rugby league team in Australia, Melbourne Storm had 5 league titles taken away from them when it was discovered they had broken financial rules. That never got turned over. Fair is fair. If you do the crime you do the time.
I'm not saying it should mate. Believe me, i want this upheld as much as the next guy, but that's how these things often go. If not overturned, then i can definitely see a reduced sentence. I think they'll get it down to a one year suspension.

JPRouve

Scout
You're just being disingenuous. A 11% share is nothing, look towards Juve and Bayern for shady stuff with shirt sponsors and shareholders.
I'm not, read the post I responded to and my response. There is more links between Accor and QIA/PSG than there is between Fly Emirates and QIA/PSG. And there is definitely shady deals between Juve and Exor, they are actually one of the reason why I have an issue with FFP, Juventus are historically a sugar daddied club and they benefitted from decades of money injections to the point where they could build a brand around it, I don't think that it's fair for todays clubs and potential sugar daddies, I don't believe that the current limits are reasonable or fair.

Highlyevolved

As they’re proven guilty shouldn’t the FA strip City of their titles?

Proven to be illegitimate.

Cycling had to do the same with Lance Armstrong to bring some trust and credibility back to the sport.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
As they’re proven guilty shouldn’t the FA strip City of their titles?

Proven to be illegitimate.

Cycling had to do the same with Lance Armstrong to bring some trust and credibility back to the sport.
Athletics hasn’t stripped too many medals retrospectively after drugs cheats have been found so there are some sports who will have a different approach.

The commonality is that they have been banned from future competitions so there is that hanging over city

Paul_Scholes18

Redistribute titles to any team that's finished in second place to them...
Need to think rationally. Last year they didn't breach it enough. Season before they did. 2012 they did too.
2014 100% no breach that time.

If they just change everything or nothing it is not fair. Need to look at the league tables and positions in general to see if it was fair or not.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I'm not, read the post I responded to and my response. There is more links between Accor and QIA/PSG than there is between Fly Emirates and QIA/PSG. And there is definitely shady deals between Juve and Exor, they are actually one of the reason why I have an issue with FFP, Juventus are historically a sugar daddied club and they benefitted from decades of money injections to the point where they could build a brand around it, I don't think that it's fair for todays clubs and potential sugar daddies, I don't believe that the current limits are reasonable or fair.
You're right about the links but the Accor deal replaced Fly Emirates AND most of the deal with QTA (Nike/Jordan compensated the rest and even more). It's the QTA deal that was very questionnable and the reason why PSG is now self sustainable without it. If Qatar had left in 2015 and pulled the QTA deal, we were screwed. If Qatar leaves now, they won't be able to pull the Accor deal and the club is stable enough now to look for other sources if it doesn't get renewed at the end of the contract.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Punishment by the PL in theory should be a lot harsher seeing as City have actually won the competition.
I don’t expect much of this to stick but I’m just enjoying the hell out of it while it lasts :drool:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
A lot of fantasy being played out in this thread and I don’t mean just City’s financial numbers.

Anyone expecting any semblance of justice (e.g. titles stripped, relegations etc.) are outside their minds. The Premier League and the football world in general is host to an immoral and grotesque sense of greed. There’s no way City are going to be penalised properly as they bring too much money to the table as it is and there’s many mouths in that particular money trough.

Gasolin

'member when City fans thought they were complying with FFP? Yeah I 'member.

Special mention to @Ronetta at the time too.
Especially now that we know Etihad specifically paid 67.5m and got 88% back through the Abu Dhabi Group... it all becomes laughable now. This is a criminal matter. I do hope it goes into a penal court after the case is settled in CAS.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Need to think rationally. Last year they didn't breach it enough. Season before they did. 2012 they did too.
2014 100% no breach that time.

If they just change everything or nothing it is not fair. Need to look at the league tables and positions in general to see if it was fair or not.
Absolutely. And no need to worry about the cup finals they've won either come to think of it.

JPRouve

Scout
Especially now that we know Etihad specifically paid 67.5m and got 88% back through the Abu Dhabi Group... it all becomes laughable now. This is a criminal matter. I do hope it goes into a penal court after the case is settled in CAS.
So now you understand why the accusation is a bit more important than an FFP breach? If true there is no way to defend or justify City's owners actions.

Gasolin

The biggest outside investor of Accor is Jin Jiang, a chinese company, Qatar only owns 11% of Accor. Also, Sarkozy is one administrator in a 10 persons board. You don't rule a company with 11% of the shares especially when someone owns more than you and both the PDG or adminstrators can be revoked by the shareholders if they snap their fingers. So is there ties, yes. Is there something abnormal about those ties? No because Bazin and Sarkozy are accountable before their shareholders and if the deal isn't good for the group, they could be fired tomorrow. According to FFP regulations, Accor is not a related party, and according to commercial laws, Accor isn't controled by Qatar.
I don’t think you understand what City is accused of, and if PSG does the same thing as City, it’s the end for them.

City received sponsorship from Etihad, say £67.5m, and Abu Dhabi Group, which is state owned, back channeled 88% of that amount to Etihad. 88%. The consequence is that their revenue should have been less than £8m... then this has translated in inflated revenues in the income statement and other financial disclosures. It’s a fraud, there’s no other words for it. In truth, FFP doesn’t even matter in that context.

UpWithRivers

Its not enough. 2CL,s and 30 mill. Bah. That’s why it will never stop. If they play by the rules they would have to build for years. Imagine getting City to where they are now from where they started by sticking to the rules. It would take 10/15 years. So they just break them. Take the hit and move on in a much Better position than if they follow the rules.