Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
How would City already know the decision? Usually with court decisions, provided there are no leaks, the final decision will only be known when the official decision is released to the public (thinking of the US Supreme Court for example) and both the plaintiff and defense would learn it the same day as the public. Before that happens, everything is just speculation.
Verdict was due today. All parties agreed to postpone official announcement until Monday. It’s probable both parties were still informed today (if not earlier).

Rajma

FFP is dead, plastics have taken over officially. However, it was never in doubt when Pep started planning for the summer you knew he was tipped off pretty reliably.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
UEFA don't even know so they can't tell anybody what the decision will be.

CAS are independent.
This doesn't sound good. It sounds like City have "found a way around it" and are thus free to continue what they've been doing this last decade.

sport2793

Verdict was due today. All parties agreed to postpone official announcement until Monday. It’s probable both parties were still informed today (if not earlier).
Was it though? The reported date was always the 13th so unless there is some documentation you are privy to, I dont buy it.

TrustInOle

How I imagine City's defence went

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tbh, I never had confidence this will stand. I can see that £30m still being used, just depends on who's pockets needed lining for City to get their way.

Screw them anyway, let them go full throttle next season, will make it all that much sweeter when we finish above them. :D

Phil

So if/once they get away with it, does that means FFP is effectively dead in the water?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Trevor Sinclair has the decision 3 days early :lol:

I’m pretty confident it won’t be upheld to be fair these things never are. Hopefully it is reduced or something.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Was it though? The reported date was always the 13th so unless there is some documentation you are privy to, I dont buy it.
Press reported a week ago that original date was 10th but UEFA wanted it pushed back until after the CL draw. This is all in the public domain accessible by a quick Google search.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Press reported a week ago that original date was 10th but UEFA wanted it pushed back until after the CL draw. This is all in the public domain accessible by a quick Google search.
... So they won't know the decision till the 13th then?

Compton22

Think the point was that it wont go public until the 13th, but the parties involved would know today.
But why would a public announcement be a few days after both parties know? Makes no sense.

Just out of curiosity, could UEFA appeal the decision of exoneration by CAS?

padr81

Supports
Man City
So if/once they get away with it, does that means FFP is effectively dead in the water?
No it means City were honest in their 13/14 deal with UEFA and fully complied/were telling the truth.

padr81

Supports
Man City
But why would a public announcement be a few days after both parties know? Makes no sense.

Just out of curiosity, could UEFA appeal the decision of exoneration by CAS?
They probably could but it's unlikely they would. Where are they going to get new evidence from...

That said cheesemans comment was on the feel at the club as opposed to any verdict

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
No it means City were honest in their 13/14 deal with UEFA and fully complied/were telling the truth.
We have no reason to believe city weren't completely honest on that occasion.

Lemansky

FFP is dead if this happens. I expect a big fight back from Bayern, Real Madrid, Barca, Liverpool and us. The proper historical clubs out there.

cyberman

Yes UEFA that immensely powerful institution in football has no sycophantic sports journalists to call upon.

Cheeseman? Tick. Sinclair? Tick. Now we just await Keith Curle’s confirmation and it’s happy days!
Who? What journalist is fecking UEFA biased?
You just proved my point here. Odds on this is the same rumour being passed round like Chinese whispers.

AshRK

Pep being smug about it and now other noices coming just confirms people within the club already know about the decision.

They probably won the appeal on the basis of technicalities that the evidence was found in an illegal way. I don't think this will be over as city's wrongdoings have been caught on the tape. Maybe UEFA will have to get to them some other way.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We have no reason to believe city weren't completely honest on that occasion.
Der Spiegel gave plenty of reasons, uefas entire case hinged on City lying in 13/14. These charges are entirely based on that era.

Either the paper report was falsified (unlikely) or inadmissible (most likely) or taken out of context (maybe)

sport2793

Der Spiegel gave plenty of reasons, uefas entire case hinged on City lying in 13/14. These charges are entirely based on that era.

Either the paper report was falsified (unlikely) or inadmissible (most likely) or taken out of context (maybe)
To be fair I think the guy you replied to was being sarcastic.

cyberman

Think the point was that it wont go public until the 13th, but the parties involved would know today.
Why? What power would CAS have to keep City or anybody quiet?
UEFA would have to make a deal with City, if anything?

sport2793

Pep being smug about it and now other noices coming just confirms people within the club already know about the decision.

They probably won the appeal on the basis of technicalities that the evidence was found in an illegal way. I don't think this will be over as city's wrongdoings have been caught on the tape. Maybe UEFA will have to get to them some other way.
Na, think about it. If they stay silent or say they are concerned, they lose all negotiating leverage in their business dealings with players and outside the club. If the ban is overturned, they will say they were right all along. If the ban is upheld, they will say CAS didn't give them a fair trial and they will look to appeal to a court with higher legal standing and integrity (in their view).

Compton22

They probably could but it's unlikely they would. Where are they going to get new evidence from...

That said cheesemans comment was on the feel at the club as opposed to any verdict
Oh, I guess it could end up the same way in that they were confident nothing would come of the initial UEFA inquiry. We'll see what happens.

padr81

Supports
Man City
so you will admit if they’re found guilty that they weren’t I assume?
Of course my thinking on what happened is that deal was shady as feck. UEFA as complicit as City, the leaks broke and UEFA panicked had to backtrack and investigate more thoroughly.

So I assume you will admit if found innocent that they indeed were and this entire forum (myself included) were plain wrong.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Similar noises were not coming from Cheeseman prior to the ban so it’s irrelevant. The Cheese hath spoken.
Say it is true and City avoid the ban. How would you feel ? Happy ? Relieved ?

AshRK

Na, think about it. If they stay silent or say they are concerned, they lose all negotiating leverage in their business dealings with players and outside the club. If the ban is overturned, they will say they were right all along. If the ban is upheld, they will say CAS didn't give them a fair trial and they will look to appeal to a court with higher legal standing and integrity (in their view).
But think from UEFA's side. If they lose this appeal then that will make them look a fool. If I remember correctly the appeal is based on whether the evidence were obtained correctly and not whether they cheated or not. The tape basically confirms there was something shady happening so it's all based on technicalities

sport2793

Of course my thinking on what happened is that deal was shady as feck. UEFA as complicit as City, the leaks broke and UEFA panicked had to backtrack and investigate more thoroughly.

So I assume you will admit if found innocent that they indeed were and this entire forum (myself included) were plain wrong.
Na because there is no doubt that if it is overturned, it will be based on the illegality of the hacked emails (although CAS have admitted evidence obtained through hacking previously). The hacked emails definitely show that City is guilty, the appeal is based on if they can be punished for that however.

padr81

Supports
Man City

They will be time barred on opening a new investigation as they had 5 years.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

It depends why they’re found not guilty.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
FFP is dead if this happens. I expect a big fight back from Bayern, Real Madrid, Barca, Liverpool and us. The proper historical clubs out there.
Why didn’t they fight in 2019 when documents showed UEFA conspired with PSG to let them get away with their inflated sponsorships? The same investigator who led that dubious process led the one against City.

Rolaholic

How can they be exonerated when the evidence is there in black and white?
$$$$

They also hired an army of lawyers to find any and all possible loopholes so it seems they've managed to game the system if what's being reported is true.

It would also signal the end of FFP as any legitimate safeguard against clubs overreaching financially and would likely open the door for Newcastle to buy win the league and CL within the next 5-6 years :lol:

sport2793

But think from UEFA's side. If they lose this appeal then that will make them look a fool. If I remember correctly the appeal is based on whether the evidence were obtained correctly and not whether they cheated or not. The tape basically confirms there was something shady happening so it's all based on technicalities
That doesn't address what I was saying. I'm only explaining why City are leaking their "feelings" to media connections. It is known that City employ a slick PR operation to influence the public. UEFA may not be willing to play the PR battle with them regardless of what the effects of the appeal are (will be massive regardless of the outcome).

Cheeseman is reliable in providing info that Txixi wants the public to know. Unless it's a leak directly from CAS, it's all smoke and mirrors.