Manchester City - "Emptihad"

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
It was fecking nuts, never seen so many people in one place, I know the estimates where for half a million people but even that figure seems ridiculously low to me as a estimate, you couldn't move, everything that could be climbed on was, what a great day that was.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Doesn’t do it justice.

It was like that from Brooklands in Sale where the bus joined Chester Road.

Absolutely mental scenes that would not be replicated again by anyone. Including United.
Agreed it was when my days as a supporter peaked even though I was only 16. Unfortunately, my dad wouldn't let me go to the parade because I had my German GCSE exam the following morning.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Used to live in Old Trafford as a kid and followed that parade for much further than I should have at that age. The amount of people was crazy.

RedRocket9908

Its quite hilarious how many City fan twitter accounts are posting clearly Photoshoped pictures of the trophy parade that have been doctored to look like there were thousands there yesterday, they are also using them to compare to pictures alledgedly of our Treble parade that are not actually pictures of our Treble parade.

Ive even seen some City accounts posting arial shots of Napoli's trophy celebration and claiming its City's.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I walked through town and deansgate, you wouldn't have known city had won the treble.

Skills

Snitch
I have loads of friends and family that are teachers - Man City are by far the most popular football team for kids aged 11-16 according to them. It's only a matter of time I think before their popularity is legitimate.

Helps, now they've got an actual star player like Haaland.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I live in the Etihad and there's nobody there on matchdays. They just put cardboard people up and pay me fifty pounds to pull on a bunch of wires to make them move about.

Sebalto

Doesn’t do it justice.

It was like that from Brooklands in Sale where the bus joined Chester Road.

Absolutely mental scenes that would not be replicated again by anyone. Including United.
There was apparently 750,000 in Liverpool for their UCL parade.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
As a Blackburn fan, I remember Man City fans 'invading' our stadium and town during the final day of the 1999/2000 (they surely had at least 15,000 fans in the stadium and several thousand more outside it), as they clinched promotion to the Premier League. That was one of the 2 most impressive away followings I've seen at stadium, alongside Celtic's in the UEFA Cup in 2002/2003.

During the Maine Road and 'typical City' era, they were considered to be one of the most passionately supported clubs in the country, including getting very good crowds when they were relegated to and then played in the third tier in the late 90s (and Stockport were in a higher division than them), dancing in conga lines singing 'bring on Macclesfield'. And to be fair they were getting crowds of 40,000 when they failed to score in 13 out of their 19 home league matches in 2006/2007.

Their relatively muted and dull celebrations after winning the each of their 3 trophies this season including the Champions League this season, seem like night and day compared to their euphoric celebrations after secured that promotion in 2000 at our ground (the fact that we lost that game 4-1 despite completely dominating it and creating so many clear cut chances also stood out)

This has probably already been quoted elsewhere, but this quote from GQ magazine summed things up for me:

'The Man Utd treble of 98/99 was something like a dozen miracles happening at once. Watching City do it this year has been like watching an office administrator fill out a slightly tricky form.'

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Maybe some of our own fans could have joined the City parade to make up the numbers? We have a relatively small but extremely vocal minority on the Caf who - as United fans - passionately and repeatedly defend City and Pep, but are rarely ever seen defending any of our own current or past players or managers.

If you didn’t know better you would think Abu Dhabi have paid them to defend City and Pep’ “honour” on a United forum.

Seeing how often the Emtihad is empty and soulless and how tiny and tin pot their “parade” has been, it seems those United fans appreciate City and Pep more than most of the City fans.

Drizzle

I have loads of friends and family that are teachers - Man City are by far the most popular football team for kids aged 11-16 according to them. It's only a matter of time I think before their popularity is legitimate.

Sadly I also am seeing this. They won't overtake United in Manchester just because family ties are multigenerational but I can see it become more like 50/50 in the next few years. A proportion of kids are glory hunters, that's just a fact. We've benefited off that for decades.

I would say though that it's easy to overestimate their support at this exact point, and underestimate ours. You'll be reminded how vast we are, locally and globally, if we start winning titles and champions leagues again.

donrogersmoustache

Supports
Swindon

As a mere Swindon fan who saw united in93/94 it is strange to see how this team is struggling. The spine of it is non existent compared to then.United have been a team I have enjoyed watching until recently when the transfer policy seems to be to purchase egos and non team players, whilst the team across town seem to be very cohesive and a unit, until that changes I don’t think United will catch up, especially if you buy the likes of Mount and Pickford

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
In another news there's a new video of Graelish being drunk.
It seems that's the only thing interesting about City these days. Apparently he is a great role model too judging by some posters here.

donrogersmoustache

Supports
Swindon
Never mind a treble. If we ever win just the league again, our parade will put that to shame.
This our treble’s better than theirs and our parade was bigger is rather tedious. Get behind your team and suck it in as they have become a major threat whatever happens in future. The next few transfer windows are vital to getting back to a level to where winning the league is a possibility

Xeno

One small annoyance I have is not remembering the exact spot I saw the 99 parade. I was 15/16 at the time. We got on top of a cantilevered cover in front of a building, the kind that sticks over the pavement. Think it was black. No photos. Gutted!

Revan

Assumptionman
Surprised to see that there weren’t many for the trophy parade. In the game vs United in Wembley, City fans significantly outnumbered United fans, it wasn’t even close. Maybe they have a lot of fans, but not in Manchester?

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe I'm just biased because I'm a dirty Scottish runt but United and Manchester is greater than the people who live in it. Obviously those who do live there are more important than those who don't, but that's not what I'm saying so don't get me wrong.

The point is that a manky piece of shit like myself regularly drives 5 hours down to get into arguments with that shitty roundabout near the stadium, eat a shit baked potato and generally bore myself to death watching thousands of folk take selfies like they're on holiday (which they probably are). And God love them. Because whilst the only things that are "Manchester" about me is this club and a musical passion for shoegaze (since one person will want the answer; obviously the best band is James) I feel like I'm a welcome guest to the city when I come to watch United play.

I'll wake up early and spend the entirety of the money I have left after making sure my family are comfortable on a day trip to Manchester, and then drive back the same day tired and weary, if it means I get to stand in Old Trafford and sing about kicking a blue. I'd never do that for any other club.

So feck City. feck their hollow victory and Instagram curated image. They're cnuts and they always will be. Let them win as many trophies as they want. They've proven this week that they can win the fecking treble and, in the grand scheme of things, nobody gives a shit.
.......Parklife

quadrant

Surprised to see that there weren’t many for the trophy parade. In the game vs United in Wembley, City fans significantly outnumbered United fans, it wasn’t even close. Maybe they have a lot of fans, but not in Manchester?
Were the seats not on an allocation basis?

TheLord

They need to win the PL another 11 times and then talk about being a 'big club'. Till then, they'll just be a tiny soulless club.

Flying high

They need to win the PL another 11 times and then talk about being a 'big club'. Till then, they'll just be a tiny soulless club.
They could win it 50 times, if it's all done through cheating then it will mean nothing.

Sebalto

Watching the videos on YouTube - some claiming 200,000 were there, one video claims 500,000. I think they better get their prescription checked.

Lentwood

Possibly, but then my teacher-friends in Manchester say that the likes of PSG are equally as popular. I'm told that inner city Manchester schools are packed with PSG 'fans' because of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe. They are particularly popular amongst students with middle Eastern or African backgrounds.

Thing is, it doesn't necessarily translate into match-going fans/engagement. Some kids want to wear the popular shirts, and for now those are PSG and City. Their level of interest, if its there at all, will wane when/if those clubs stop winning and their shirts will change.

Last edited:

Real Name

Possibly, but then my teacher-friends in Manchester say that the likes of PSG are equally as popular. I'm told that inner city Manchester schools are packed with PSG 'fans' because of Messi, Neymar and Mbappe. They are particularly popular amongst students with middle Eastern or African backgrounds.

Thing is, it doesn't necessarily translate into match-going fans/engagement. Some kids want to wear the popular shirts, and for now those are PSG and City. They're level of interest, if its there at all, will wane when/if those clubs stop winning and their shirts will change.
I think PSG shirts will vane now Messi is gone. They're everywhere at the moment.

Real Name

It's on United supporting dads in Manchester to stop the tide. :)

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
He'll leave too. :D
I think we've got a generation of kids who don't really have much of a connection to any club. They all have favourite players and they'll probably just 'support' whoever they play for.

Basically guesswork, but I do wonder how much things like Fifa Ultimate Team has affected team allegiance, coupled with how prohibitively expensive it is to actually watch football, even at home, these days.

MUFC OK

Has been an utterly horrible 10 days being a United fan in Manchester since we lost the FA Cup match.

Just how far ahead of us they are now, the fact they have equalled our biggest achievement and the inevitable love in for them next season, whilst we are no nearer to discovering if the glazers will finally leave is enough to put off football entirely for the foreseeable future.

Like it or not, that city squad are all now legends of the English game. Awful stuff.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's on United supporting dads in Manchester to stop the tide. :)
Bit naive to think kids listen to their parents!

Didn't stop me, my Dad's family are all City fans from West Gorton, when I decided United were my team my Grandad didn't speak to me for months, that only changed when my Grandma cracked him round the earhole and told him to grow up, I was 5 at the time!

ShinjiNinja26

Has been an utterly horrible 10 days being a United fan in Manchester since we lost the FA Cup match.

Just how far ahead of us they are now, the fact they have equalled our biggest achievement and the inevitable love in for them next season, whilst we are no nearer to discovering if the glazers will finally leave is enough to put off football entirely for the foreseeable future.

Like it or not, that city squad are all now legends of the English game. Awful stuff.
They’re also dirty cheating bastards and their achievements are rendered worthless no matter how much the media try and portray otherwise. They aren’t making history, they’re only following in the footsteps of a club that done it all legitimately, Utd.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

They've hardly had a love in right after winning the treble so I don't see it happening next season? I think you're overreacting a tad.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Maybe I'm just biased because I'm a dirty Scottish runt but United and Manchester is greater than the people who live in it. Obviously those who do live there are more important than those who don't, but that's not what I'm saying so don't get me wrong.

The point is that a manky piece of shit like myself regularly drives 5 hours down to get into arguments with that shitty roundabout near the stadium, eat a shit baked potato and generally bore myself to death watching thousands of folk take selfies like they're on holiday (which they probably are). And God love them. Because whilst the only things that are "Manchester" about me is this club and a musical passion for shoegaze (since one person will want the answer; obviously the best band is James) I feel like I'm a welcome guest to the city when I come to watch United play.

I'll wake up early and spend the entirety of the money I have left after making sure my family are comfortable on a day trip to Manchester, and then drive back the same day tired and weary, if it means I get to stand in Old Trafford and sing about kicking a blue. I'd never do that for any other club.

So feck City. feck their hollow victory and Instagram curated image. They're cnuts and they always will be. Let them win as many trophies as they want. They've proven this week that they can win the fecking treble and, in the grand scheme of things, nobody gives a shit.
Not sure if you're even implying it, but James aren't even shoegaze. What are you on about?