Manchester City - "Emptihad"

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I got offered free tickets twice yesterday. My mate went who doesn’t even follow footy that much cuz he got free tickets.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I got offered free tickets twice yesterday. My mate went who doesn’t even follow footy that much cuz he got free tickets.
This is probably a regular occurrence before their home games. Unless it's United or one of the bigger games they never seem to sell out.

JohnnyKills

Why put a photo from about 5 years ago in the OP?

Anyway. Yeah, their fan base is small considering the quality of the football they play. They have a midtable level following. Newcastle & Everton probably have more fans than they do.

There's a very distinctive split I've noticed when it comes to City supporters. The people who have been fans for years, through all the shit times etc who are very respectful, logical & a good debate, who never miss a game. Then there's the younger fans, say 25 & below who are extremely arrogant & believe they're by far the best team in the world & will just steamroll every team put in front of them, and if they ever don't it's because they've been "cheated" by the ref.

I work with a lad who's a season ticket holder for them & in his own words yesterday "Can't be arsed, we'll just play the kids & smash them" Kinda sums up a large chunk of their fanbase. So it isn't a surprise to me their crowds are low.
They definitely do.

The problem City have got is that, no matter what they do, it's still fake. People aren't stupid, they know inauthenticity when they see it.

City's story - a mid-sized club from a provincial city suddenly gaining infinite wealth through sheer fluke - is about as romantic as a Ron Jeremy movie. The fact they've got United next door doesn't help them either; they can't even achieve critical mass locally with so many United fans everywhere. Plus their 'old' fanbase was defined by the team's lack of success. Being the plucky underdog was a big part of why many people supported them, so they may have lost those fans.

If they win the CL then maybe they'll take off. But at the moment it doesn't look likely.

Djemba-Djemba

This is probably a regular occurrence before their home games. Unless it's United or one of the bigger games they never seem to sell out.
Do they even sell out for the bigger games? Genuine question. I've seen them against you lot, Chelsea, Arsenal etc and it's not even nearly full.

The only time I ever see City fans excited or buzzing is before Derby games, it's the only time their fans seem to be up for it.

JohnnyKills

See I don't think they've got that many more new fans around the local area anyway.

They'll obviously have more out of town fans now than when they were complete dogshit for 30 years but in Manchester it doesn't feel like they have that many more fans now than they did 10 years ago.

Whenever they win the League you tend to see more City flags in windows but other than that I don't think much has changed.
How can they? United have got most of the area sown up. People don't just change their allegiance because one team is doing well. Maybe their kids will grow up being City fans but they won't be able to afford the admission for years.

Djemba-Djemba

How can they? United have got most of the area sown up. People don't just change their allegiance because one team is doing well. Maybe their kids will grow up being City fans but they won't be able to afford the admission for years.
City tickets in comparison to any other supposedly top club, are cheap as feck. Especially for any midweek games.

They're paying lower ticket prices for Champions League games than Utd fans were in the 90s.

They can't give away tickets for midweek games. Nobody wants them.

Skills

Snitch
The thing is getting to and from Manchester is a fecking pain. Most people do it for United out of habit and because it's United. I doubt they'll convince enough people to do it for City.

OldSchoolManc

This is what happens when you try to force football onto people that actually aren’t that interested in football.
See the US soccer league in the 70’s, Milton Keynes Dons and now Manchester City.
If they do have any new ‘fans’, they will watch it in the cheapest way possible and with the least effort. It’s just background to them. Down the pub or streaming it on an illegal site so they don’t have to watch Corrie with their other half.
There’s no passion there.

JohnnyKills

City tickets in comparison to any other supposedly top club, are cheap as feck. Especially for any midweek games.

They're paying lower ticket prices for Champions League games than Utd fans were in the 90s.

They can't give away tickets for midweek games. Nobody wants them.
Yeah but there's also the problem that kids need people to go with.

Hopefully Mansour fecks off soon and these kids grow up watching a return to the days of Lee Badbuy and Alan Kernaghan.

Abizzz

Can this thread have a weekly poll where posters can guess their next home attendance or empty seats? :lol:
:D.

Bit of a shame that all their exceptional talent only entertains blue plastic seats. But boy will those seats have stories to tell their young ones!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Some fans on BM were even taking the piss out of themselves yesterday over the empty seats......and falling out over it! :D

A guy on Talksport was saying that due to it being a midweek game, parents weren't going to bring their kids so the family section was empty as City don't allow the tickets to be sold on.

Irrational.

I heard the traffic was pretty bad?

In other news, the BBC sent a Freedom Of Information request a couple of weeks ago to ascertain the true attendance figures from last season as opposed to what the clubs report. Surprise surprise, City found to fudge their figures and overestimate attendance by an average of 7000+, or by 14%.

For a PL winning side that is fecking shocking.

With made up figures like that, no wonder they can get over inflated fake sponsorship deals to fund their empty cocoon of a club. There are lies, damn lies, statistics and then the accountants at Citeh. Massive club.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They have a stadium that is too big for the club. They'd do well to fill Leigh Sports Village.
They were getting 30k at Maine Road in the late 90s when in division 2...

Guess their fans just dont like the CL for whatever reason. It does baffle me, 2k empty seats and not much of a story but over 10k on a consistant basis is wierd.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Well to be fair to them, most of their fans also support Chelsea. It's tough when you support two clubs that are playing in the same league.

TheReligion

Abusive
It was more than 13k empty seat, I'd say closer on 18k. No way we had 40k last night. I'm probably the last person who should criticise given how little I get home to Manchester nevermind to a game but its kind of sad. Given we can pull 45k for league games then there is not excuse for 10k less in the CL.

Protest my arse tbh.. were we in a semi-final none of those protesters would stay away. Our club support has a strange relationship with the CL. Boo if you're going to boo (though its pointless and stupid imho) but don't punish your team for issues you blame on Uefa... I mean the team were flat and I rightly gave them stick last night but can you imagine how it must feel, being installed as favourites after getting 100 points the season before, watching the atmosphere at Anfield the night before and walking out to that. Has to be disheartening.

Craig Bellamy of all people made a great point about Liverpool's support elevating them in the CL, because despite the odd bus attack or two, they never stop believing (even naively), with us it's almost like we're afraid of the CL and it spreads to the team.

As I said I'm not one to criticise and I'll probably get shit off regular match goers about it because I've lived in Ireland last 30 years but meh.. have to call it as I see it.
For comparison, since we haven't played any home games in the Champions League yet, our lowest home attendance in last years group stage was the opener v Basel, which was attended by 73,854.

Our lowest home attendance all season last year was v Burton in the league cup, on a wednesday. That was attended by 54,256 people.

City's attendance yesterday in the Champions League opener v Lyon was 40,111.

Their lowest attendance all season last year vs the League Cup semi final v Bristol City at 43,426, which was actually just a 122 people less than their lowest attended Champions League game v Feyenoord.
I heard the traffic was pretty bad?

In other news, the BBC sent a Freedom Of Information request a couple of weeks ago to ascertain the true attendance figures from last season as opposed to what the clubs report. Surprise surprise, City found to fudge their figures and overestimate attendance by an average of 7000+, or by 14%.

For a PL winning side that is fecking shocking.

With made up figures like that, no wonder they can get over inflated fake sponsorship deals to fund their empty cocoon of a club. There are lies, damn lies, statistics and then the accountants at Citeh. Massive club.
The actual attendance last night was 34,000

crossy1686

career ending
There is absolutely no excuse for them not filling their stadium on a Champions League night. The protest bullshit is nonsense, it's a poor excuse.

They've spent decades in the footballing wilderness, playing PNE in League 1, getting relegated time and time again. Now they've finally got something to be proud of they can't even turn up to watch their team on the biggest stage. Say's everything you need to know about City and their fans.

If filling they're stadium meant United started a goal down every match day, it would be bursting, even when they were playing away.

I'm confident they won't be relevant in a few years, once Pep leaves they'll start to decline.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
There is absolutely no excuse for them not filling their stadium on a Champions League night. The protest bullshit is nonsense, it's a poor excuse.

They've spent decades in the footballing wilderness, playing PNE in League 1, getting relegated time and time again. Now they've finally got something to be proud of they can't even turn up to watch their team on the biggest stage. Say's everything you need to know about City and their fans.

If filling they're stadium meant United started a goal down every match day, it would be bursting, even when they were playing away.

I'm confident they won't be relevant in a few years, once Pep leaves they'll start to decline.
You think those same 13K people that missed this game would miss a midweek knockout game at home against United if it were to happen, “for their protest?” Their logic is ridiculous, it’s hard to believe it’s even logic, it feels like an excuse.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The ‘protest’ is the most ludicrous bullshit I’ve ever heard. You’ve got 15000 people staying away on principal about something that affected travelling fans how many years ago? Utter drivel.

To even mention it is being disingenuous. Too much success too soon to every appreciate what home champions league nights even mean. They truly represent 21st century football in all its worst forms. I remember being absolutely buzzing all day waiting for united v rapid Vienna to kick off in about 1996. For many city fans nowadays they’ll show up when they’re in the semi despite the competition being a fantasy a decade ago. No value or worth on anything.

A worthless vile club.

(Pic in op isn’t from last night though)
Well said

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca

Guess their fans just dont like the CL for whatever reason. It does baffle me, 2k empty seats and not much of a story but over 10k on a consistant basis is wierd.
A large percentage of that local match going fanbase has packed it in.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

They weren't.....they were averaging 25k ish through the 90s

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

OldSchoolManc

Would Mansour have been better off buying a provincial club like Rochdale or Stockport?
At least they would’ve had the romance of going up through the divisions first and would probably have gained more local support.

As it is, it seems like it’s too much effort for City fans to travel from Stockport to central Manchester.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This guy speaks the truth.

City will never be recognized as a global brand until they accumulate multiple trophies both domestically and in Europe. It takes years to build a brand, City are barely out of their teething stages. They're still a relatively small club.

Jack - City Fan

Supports
Man City
It isn't great to be fair and I think what some people have said is probably fair, that City's actual fanbase in manchester probably hasn't increased that much since the takeover, particularly amongst the fans who can actually buy tickets, why would it? for all the stories you hear kaput a mate switching to city because they're successful I've yet to meet anyone who's actually done it. It's likely this'll be the case for a while yet. As for overestimating the turnout, it happens, everyone does it. Even United. All clubs report tickets that have gone out (even those not sold but gifted to schools and uni, local sports clubs etc) whereas the GMP report actual attendance. I remember a few years back there was a thread on it here for united when the M.e.N reported they'd "bumped up" the figures for a home game against Newcastle in the cup on a Tuesday.

I honestly don't care about the champions league as much as I do the premier league, but I really don't buy the protest thing. It's likely people just couldn't be arsed going because it was cold or a wednesday or whatever other reason. I suppose one disadvantage of cheaper tickets is it's much more likely you'll sack it off for bad reasons? We also obviously don't have the same out of town crowd united have who are again less likely to not turn up.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
The ironic part is this is one of the greatest periods for them and yet their fans (if they have) are not enjoying this. If they can't take their club seriously why would others.

The magic of being part of European nights, even the not so illustrious ones, hasn’t sprinkled any of its dust on city, because what they have achieved contains a bit of a void.

So glad city’s owners didn’t get into Tottenham..

padr81

Supports
Man City
This guy speaks the truth.

City will never be recognized as a global brand until they accumulate multiple trophies both domestically and in Europe. It takes years to build a brand, City are barely out of their teething stages. They're still a relatively small club.
Yeah, but no City fan with half a brain would ever say otherwise in fairness. I think most City fans see us in that light, we are in a weird kind of place, we have the support of a midtable team in terms of numbers, yet we have a squad up there with the best in Europe and by hook or by crook, we have sponsors on a par with pretty much anyone globally. It's kind of weird, our fanbase is not expanding at nearly the same rate as the club which is probably understandable given our owners investment but it kind of gives a weird vibe.

That said as in the video, having less fans for Lyon in the CL then Fulham in the PL is just weird...

I'm sure the fans will come eventually, but as you say we may need 10 years to see the benefits, globally we'll probably need a CL and then time for those kids to jump on the bandwagon to mature atm.. we are nowhere near the top clubs in that regard but I don't think any City fan whose not delusional would disagree with that.

I can't disagree with anything in that video either tbh.

AshRK

Yeah, but no City fan with half a brain would ever say otherwise in fairness. I think most City fans see us in that light, we are in a weird kind of place, we have the support of a midtable team in terms of numbers, yet we have a squad up there with the best in Europe and by hook or by crook, we have sponsors on a par with pretty much anyone globally. It's kind of weird, our fanbase is not expanding at nearly the same rate as the club which is probably understandable given our owners investment but it kind of gives a weird vibe.

That said as in the video, having less fans for Lyon in the CL then Fulham in the PL is just weird...

I'm sure the fans will come eventually, but as you say we may need 10 years to see the benefits, globally we'll probably need a CL and then time for those kids to jump on the bandwagon to mature atm.. we are nowhere near the top clubs in that regard but I don't think any City fan whose not delusional would disagree with that.

The issue is there is no guarentee this success will remain for city. As I said in my previous post here this is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, times to be a city fan and yet they are not enjoying it. One or two average season and city will be just another club. The likes of liverpool, arsenal and United can afford that but city cannot. It doesnt give a good viewing for new football lovers. It is imp5coty fans realise it rather than just bitching rags this rags that.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I cannot consider them as a serious team until they are capable of having an audience worth watching them. What are your thoughts on this?
That it's an extremely arrogant position, common in fans of the biggest clubs, one I'm far too used to in my own country too.

JohnnyKills

Yeah it seems most City fans are pretty reasonable about the whole thing tbh. If anything (and I may be wrong here) it seems a lot of you are underwhelmed by the whole experience.

Hughie77

It's the top European comp, and the so called we support our local club chant, where are they? I've been to OT, in a dead rubber in champions league it was full. That's the difference. It's always been the same there, money can't buy you love as the song goes..poor attendance

Devil81

Wank club playing with billionaires money.

They could win ten leagues straight and still be in our shadow.

AndyJ1985

You can buy world class players and you can do dodgy dealings to get yourselves inflated sponsorship deals, but you can't buy fans.

Offsideagain

A BBC Sport investigation into published attendance figures and the actual number in the stadium showed City were 14% less fans in the Emptyhad than the published figure. That was based on a 12 match period and using GMP crowd figures. Turns out, City count season ticket holders and corporate boxes even if they don’t turn up. I had heard rumours of offering free tickets to students in the past.

Or local City fans (There used to be only one but two more came out of the woodwork shortly after the money arrived and they were winning stuff, now there’s three) say the CL games are too dear and a booking fee is charged which grates. I said to them ‘How do think they pay Raheem’s wages and the extra £100k pw he wants now’. They reckon the Sheik should cough up. Small club, small fan base.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The issue is there is no guarentee this success will remain for city. As I said in my previous post here this is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, times to be a city fan and yet they are not enjoying it. One or two average season and city will be just another club. The likes of liverpool, arsenal and United can afford that but city cannot. It doesnt give a good viewing for new football lovers. It is imp5coty fans realise it rather than just bitching rags this rags that.
I can't understand actually why many don't enjoy the CL, but I think most if not all enjoy our current team and league standing.
If they feel Uefa have screwed us (which they did to certain fans with the whole CSKA debacle and the club with the fine for booing) surely the way to have their "vengeance" is for us to win the competition. Not that I think we have any God given right or are a cert to at some stage but instead of turning away from the competition and letting the team feel let down, get behind them, egg them on to try and win it. Imho, that's what I want us to do.

I disagree on the other point, I think even if the Sheik leaves the sponsors are replaceable and we'll never fall away now we're here. We are lucky, very, very lucky that we managed to get sold when we did and squeeze through the door right before Uefa bolted it. The reality I think many United fans won't agree with or admit to seeing, is for better or worse unless we have two or three 10th place seasons we're here to stay.