Manchester City - "Emptihad"

padr81

Supports
Man City
A BBC Sport investigation into published attendance figures and the actual number in the stadium showed City were 14% less fans in the Emptyhad than the published figure. That was based on a 12 match period and using GMP crowd figures. Turns out, City count season ticket holders and corporate boxes even if they don’t turn up. I had heard rumours of offering free tickets to students in the past.

Or local City fans (There used to be only one but two more came out of the woodwork shortly after the money arrived and they were winning stuff, now there’s three) say the CL games are too dear and a booking fee is charged which grates. I said to them ‘How do think they pay Raheem’s wages and the extra £100k pw he wants now’. They reckon the Sheik should cough up. Small club, small fan base.
Point 1, is a fair point but you leave out how EVERY club in England do their attendances the same way, its kind of funny, United have been caught doing it too funnily enough by a full 10k as recently as 2013.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/12/manchester-united-attendances-police-figures
A full 25k added on to the published and announced attendance for the Cluj CL game.
There's an old saying about people in glass houses throwing stones you might want to look up. I'll give you the gist - they shouldn't.

Point 2, is pure an utter bullshit, when anything like this is posted in reverse on BM people here rightly laugh about it and all it's member making up things they heard from United fans. A, You're lying to gain credibility on a message forum like those who do the same on BM (which is sad on both accounts) or B, You're imagination is running wild.

ZlatMan

The City fans are a disgrace. These self entitled blue wankers think attending Champions League games is too good for them when they are arsed enough to attend, they boo the anthem all because they think they hard done by :lol:. How many of these wankers envisaged the nights their club get to play against Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Juventus from just over ten years ago? They are spoilt by the Arab slave owners pumping billions so when the day they stop putting in their oil cash and feck off for good, maybe these City plastics will regret being ungrateful to the grandest competition in world football when they go back to slumming with Millwall, Bristol, and Wigan.

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
Let's leave the issue with Emptihad for a minute... How many City fans are there that are not from Manchester? And how many non-English? More than 20k? Serious question.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The City fans are a disgrace. These self entitled blue wankers think attending Champions League games is too good for them when they are arsed enough to attend, they boo the anthem all because they think they hard done by :lol:. How many of these wankers envisaged the nights their club get to play against Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Juventus from just over ten years ago? They are spoilt by the Arab slave owners pumping billions so when the day they stop putting in their oil cash and feck off for good, maybe these City plastics will regret being ungrateful to the grandest competition in world football when they go back to slumming with Millwall, Bristol, and Wigan.
Well you're not racist... "Arab slave owners" really? You do realise their are many arab United supporters on this forum..
I think you're taking coming 2nd last season too hard buddy, relax a bit, its only football.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Let's leave the issue with Emptihad for a minute... How many City fans are there that are not from Manchester? And how many non-English? More than 20k? Serious question.
Not a lot I'd imagine, we still have very supporters from nearby places like Ireland, Scotland etc.. where we probably have a smaller fanbase than Spurs, Villa, Everton (at least of those old enough to travel to games.)

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I can't understand actually why many don't enjoy the CL, but I think most if not all enjoy our current team and league standing.
If they feel Uefa have screwed us (which they did to certain fans with the whole CSKA debacle and the club with the fine for booing) surely the way to have their "vengeance" is for us to win the competition. Not that I think we have any God given right or are a cert to at some stage but instead of turning away from the competition and letting the team feel let down, get behind them, egg them on to try and win it. Imho, that's what I want us to do.

I disagree on the other point, I think even if the Sheik leaves the sponsors are replaceable and we'll never fall away now we're here. We are lucky, very, very lucky that we managed to get sold when we did and squeeze through the door right before Uefa bolted it. The reality I think many United fans won't agree with or admit to seeing, is for better or worse unless we have two or three 10th place seasons we're here to stay.
Your owners go....your gone. Simple as. Your worth very little to sponsors without the backing of the owner and much of he sponsors aren't legit. I think your owners will hang around as long as they need to. Won't be leaving any time soon. But won't be here forever.

predator

Youth NITK
Tbf every match going city fan I know is in agreement that the support is a joke at times. It is what it is. What can they do?

I don't see why their attendance figures are always a talking point, and why opposition fans go on so much about it. If they carry on as they are under pep then who cares. They are playing good football and have a great set up for the future.

I don't actually get it tbh.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Your owners go....your gone. Simple as. Your worth very little to sponsors without the backing of the owner and much of he sponsors aren't legit. I think your owners will hang around as long as they need to. Won't be leaving any time soon. But won't be here forever.
No one, most certainly not your good self or I has any clue how much of our commercial income is from Emirati sources bar the £65m from the Etihad deal and a known £25 million from Nexen and Nike (rishing to approx £57 next season with the change to Puma). This has been discussed to death and its pure conjecture on both sides. You'll have one opinion I'll have another, the difference is mine is not based around the fact I'm biased its based around legit things, like the fact we're on tv all the time, are the only premier league cup consistently in the CL for the last 7 years, having won the title 3 times in that time etc.. yours is based around? Please elaborate.

The fact PUMA are willing to negotiate a shirt deal that is pretty much on a par with other top clubs is more telling than random internet conjecture imho but I could be completely wrong, we could get screwed when the Sheikh finally leaves but most people in or around the game, even economists see it as I do.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
They got booed off at half time and I think the clue is in that. Most teams get booed off after a poor performance if things aren't going well in general, or if there's already lingering anger from the fans.

City get booed off at half time because they aren't winning. People turn up expecting to see a show rather than to support the team. If you spend a ton of money on trying to market yourslef as a "project" or a brand rather than as a football team, you attract an audience to suit.

Not saying all their fans are like that but the ones they had before are still the same ones, the new fans are not the sort who are going to turn up on a Wednesday night because they enjoy singing songs and cheering the team on.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
I'd actually say the opposite.

I hope one day in my lifetime I get to see Utd play at Old Trafford.

I'm sure there are exceptions but there are also folks like this.

M113FF

Supports
City
So from that video " the fans have to turn-up, to not turn-up is a disgrace"
What a complete crock of nonsense. Why are City been judged to a different standard? Did the media say this about Liverpool fans when they didn't turn up for early stage European Cup or Champions League games?

For example, when they last won it in 2005 they had 33000 for a group game but then the crowd goes up to 42000 for the semi-final. And they have 10 x the fan base of City and a rich European history. In fact it's been the same every time they've won it:

Lowest > Highest

77 - 22000 to 55000
78 - 39000 to 51000
81 - 21000 to 44000
84 - 14,985 to 39000 (14985 is not a typo)

Of course it is a different beast nowadays. So, let's look at last year when they had 47957 for one game which was about 5000 short of capacity. Bearing in mind all the hype about European history, the huge fan base and the great Anfield nights that is truly surprising.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No one, most certainly not your good self or I has any clue how much of our commercial income is from Emirati sources bar the £65m from the Etihad deal and a known £25 million from Nexen and Nike (rishing to approx £57 next season with the change to Puma). This has been discussed to death and its pure conjecture on both sides. You'll have one opinion I'll have another, the difference is mine is not based around the fact I'm biased its based around legit things, like the fact we're on tv all the time, are the only premier league cup consistently in the CL for the last 7 years, having won the title 3 times in that time etc.. yours is based around? Please elaborate.

The fact PUMA are willing to negotiate a shirt deal that is pretty much on a par with other top clubs is more telling than random internet conjecture imho but I could be completely wrong, we could get screwed when the Sheikh finally leaves but most people in or around the game, even economists see it as I do.
The minute the sheik walked in your club you were immediately 'elite' talk of buying any player in the world. Success was and is inevitable. Sponsors are onto a sure thing.

When you look at what United, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Juve offer to a sponsor, fan base, history, global support, then consider what city offer ? Success is all. Take the guarantee of success away......Puma aren't coming at you with 50 million. Neither are any of the other sponsors. Honestly you really think that you have a legitimate income that is on par with United, Real Madrid and Barcelona?

cyberman

The minute the sheik walked in your club you were immediately 'elite' talk of buying any player in the world. Success was and is inevitable. Sponsors are onto a sure thing.

When you look at what United, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Juve offer to a sponsor, fan base, history, global support, then consider what city offer ? Success is all. Take the guarantee of success away......Puma aren't coming at you with 50 million. Neither are any of the other sponsors. Honestly you really think that you have a legitimate income that is on par with United, Real Madrid and Barcelona?
Theyre not even that successful since the takeover.

Infra-red

From The Times:

Kevin Parker, the general secretary of City's official supporters group, said he understood why many stayed away, "we were in Pot one this year and because of that we ended up with Lyons, Shakhtar and Hoffenheim. No disrespect to them but none of them really are a game that you think "wow, that is going to be a cracker'," he said.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Somebody remind me what is the so called protest against UEFA?
There was no mass protest against UEFA the other night, it was apathy pure and simple.
The booing of their anthem is an outdated reaction to a game in Moscow a few years ago where it was supposed to be behind closed doors but they let quite a lot of Muscovites into the stadium under phoney circumstances. Many of the boo boys just do it from habit. Embarrassing.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I bet Old Trafford will be full when Young Boys visit. The arrogance from the City fans is something to be behold.
You’ve had your moments of arrogance and no shows in the past so don’t get too swell headed.
Will you be there BTW?

Bestietom

I don't think they ever fill the stadium, but they have it down as being full all the time. Who's buying these seats. ???

AshRK

I can't understand actually why many don't enjoy the CL, but I think most if not all enjoy our current team and league standing.
If they feel Uefa have screwed us (which they did to certain fans with the whole CSKA debacle and the club with the fine for booing) surely the way to have their "vengeance" is for us to win the competition. Not that I think we have any God given right or are a cert to at some stage but instead of turning away from the competition and letting the team feel let down, get behind them, egg them on to try and win it. Imho, that's what I want us to do.

I disagree on the other point, I think even if the Sheik leaves the sponsors are replaceable and we'll never fall away now we're here. We are lucky, very, very lucky that we managed to get sold when we did and squeeze through the door right before Uefa bolted it. The reality I think many United fans won't agree with or admit to seeing, is for better or worse unless we have two or three 10th place seasons we're here to stay.
Yes you are here to stay, that's not my moot point was. I mean this period is very important for you guys to be actually recognized as the big club and when I say big , I mean one which can dominate the league and Europe for the next decade.

To be fair you guys are still behind Chelsea in the success achieved. They have atleast created a strong foundation to be here. I think if sheikhs leave today (which they won't ) , it would be a major blow for you lot.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep

Strongly disagree with the highlighted bit. Being a Chelsea fan I know a thing or two about the difficulty of figuring out how to remain successful and competitive when you go from blank check from your owner to trying to live within your own means.

I've been hearing the "when Abramovich fecks off" line from the rival supporters for the last fifteen years now. I guess it's possible that the club will suffer if sold to another owner but I doubt it. Chelsea has a solid foundation and a reputation of a winner. It has been successful both at home and in Europe. Most importantly, its sponsorship deals are legit and are based on the club's doing well on the pitch. City's financial clout is largely dependent on its owner. The sheik's people not only propped up the club with Abu Dhabi based "sponsorships", they've built a whole network, City Football Group, that helped them get around the FFP rules and kept injecting the club with money they couldn't possibly earn legitimately. I'd love to see the breakdown on how City earns their money to calculate just how much those Abu Dhabi connected sponsors pay for the "priviledge" of being associated with the club that cannot even fill their own stadium on a CL night.

In short, no, you cannot replace your income, not even half of it, if your owner leaves tomorrow, because unlike most other clubs, your income isn't based on legit sources and
on the open market you'll be royally fecked.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Point 1, is a fair point but you leave out how EVERY club in England do their attendances the same way, its kind of funny, United have been caught doing it too funnily enough by a full 10k as recently as 2013.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/12/manchester-united-attendances-police-figures
A full 25k added on to the published and announced attendance for the Cluj CL game.
There's an old saying about people in glass houses throwing stones you might want to look up. I'll give you the gist - they shouldn't.

Point 2, is pure an utter bullshit, when anything like this is posted in reverse on BM people here rightly laugh about it and all it's member making up things they heard from United fans. A, You're lying to gain credibility on a message forum like those who do the same on BM (which is sad on both accounts) or B, You're imagination is running wild.
The point is, that your ground is around half the size of ours, you're playing football and are at a level you'll never better, and even with the inevitable glory fans such situations attract, you seem to have a fantastic struggle to fill your ground regularly.

That seems incredible to everyone outside of Man City.

What happens if the sheiks can't forever fund the same level, and you drop down?

padr81

Supports
Man City

No there really wasn't, in fact Chelsea have been more successful than us since the takeover.

Our income is not on par with Uniteds, and yes, many economists have already said the Etihad deal is in no way over valued today considering what it offers. Again not my opinion but that of financial experts.
Heres the stadium deal info, so on a par with other CL clubs:
http://sportforbusiness.com/the-value-of-stadium-naming-rights/

Here is the current shirt sponsor deals and again we are only taking from Abu Dhabi what is on a par with again other CL clubs:
https://www.statista.com/statistics...ships-in-the-barclays-premier-league-by-club/

Once the Puma deal is through it will again be on a par with other CL clubs...
Yes Puma are coming with £50m I didn't pluck it out of my arse or just make it up, in fact it was a bit of a bidding war between themselves and Under Armor. Its pretty much well know in football circles.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...r-City-sign-50million-year-Puma-kit-deal.html
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/manchester-city-set-land-50m-13028741

Our sleeve sponsor is also fair market value (less than Arsenal, even with Chelsea).
While our income in 2009 till we started winning was over the top and punished by UEFA it's pretty clear it's legit now.

http://priceoffootball.com/manchester-city-and-etihad-airways-economy-plus/
https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2018/09/1...ce-expert-kieran-maguire-talks-to-city-watch/
https://www.skysports.com/watch/vid...1496803/city-financially-strongest-club-in-uk

Yes you are here to stay, that's not my moot point was. I mean this period is very important for you guys to be actually recognized as the big club and when I say big , I mean one which can dominate the league and Europe for the next decade.

To be fair you guys are still behind Chelsea in the success achieved. They have atleast created a strong foundation to be here. I think if sheikhs leave today (which they won't ) , it would be a major blow for you lot.
As a big club, yes, its a very important period but as a financial force, I completely disagree.

Strongly disagree with the highlighted bit. Being a Chelsea fan I know a thing or two about the difficulty of figuring out how to remain successful and competitive when you go from blank check from your owner to trying to live within your own means.

I've been hearing the "when Abramovich fecks off" line from the rival supporters for the last fifteen years now. I guess it's possible that the club will suffer if sold to another owner but I doubt it. Chelsea has a solid foundation and a reputation of a winner. It has been successful both at home and in Europe. Most importantly, its sponsorship deals are legit and are based on the club's doing well on the pitch. City's financial clout is largely dependent on its owner. The sheik's people not only propped up the club with Abu Dhabi based "sponsorships", they've built a whole network, City Football Group, that helped them get around the FFP rules and kept injecting the club with money they couldn't possibly earn legitimately. I'd love to see the breakdown on how City earns their money to calculate just how much those Abu Dhabi connected sponsors pay for the "priviledge" of being associated with the club that cannot even fill their own stadium on a CL night.

In short, no, you cannot replace your income, not even half of it, if your owner leaves tomorrow, because unlike most other clubs, your income isn't based on legit sources and
on the open market you'll be royally fecked.
The multi club franchise model is Soriano's brain child not Abu Dhabi's (another myth) and something he tried to implement at Barcelona before moving on.
CFG doesn't inject money btw but it does keep directors off the books.

In the last 3 years the Sheikh has invested nothing but the Laporte money £54m amortised over the length of his contract which is a 5 year deal so will go through the books at under £11m per year.

Again this is kind of funny, they are "sponsorships" in the same legit means as any of Chelsea's and just like Chelsea's have been deemed market value by the people going through the books (it doesn't matter where they come from). As I've said many times, no one know how much comes from the other 3 Abu Dhabi companies and I too would love to see the breakdown. UEFA funnily enough have, as have the Premier League FFP team and both decided they are fair market value or else we'd be punished on them. You can say it's illegit but it's not. I've posted plenty of links above.
If you look there you'll see they are not above most top 4 clubs and when they are they are its very marginal.

Also we are the only english club who have played consistent CL football in the past few years which also plays a big part.

The point is, that your ground is around half the size of ours, you're playing football and are at a level you'll never better, and even with the inevitable glory fans such situations attract, you seem to have a fantastic struggle to fill your ground regularly.

That seems incredible to everyone outside of Man City.

What happens if the sheiks can't forever fund the same level, and you drop down?
No its not the point is you having 25k of 75k missing for Cluj meant 1/3 of your seats were empty, 33% no show, City have 1/4 of a smaller fan base missing. Granted Cluj are a smaller club but it you are gonna call one team out for missing 15k or so surely you call out both. You regularly report figures with over 10k extra at OT. Also I've already called us out on the no shows and openly admit its a problem and I find our supporters treatment of the CL quite strange but it doesn't change much financially.

The Sheikh has put nothing into the club bar the Laporte money in the past 3 seasons.. the Etihad deal is fair market value and would go for the same was it up for tender according to loads of professional economists (not the CAF internet kind) and we don't know how much or how little comes from the other sources. I tend to side with Uefa and PL financial experts and team of lawyers over random United fans on the internet.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No its not the point is you having 25k of 75k missing for Cluj meant 1/3 of your seats were empty, 33% no show, City have 1/4 of a smaller fan base missing. Granted Cluj are a smaller club but it you are gonna call one team out for missing 15k or so surely you call out both. You regularly report figures with over 10k extra at OT. Also I've already called us out on the no shows and openly admit its a problem and I find our supporters treatment of the CL quite strange but it doesn't change much financially.

The Sheikh has put nothing into the club bar the Laporte money in the past 3 seasons.. the Etihad deal is fair market value and would go for the same was it up for tender according to loads of professional economists (not the CAF internet kind) and we don't know how much or how little comes from the other sources. I tend to side with Uefa and PL financial experts and team of lawyers over random United fans on the internet.
We might be "Only" 50k for some of the less glamourous games, but you're struggling for Premier league games.

There's numerous stories of your "deals" for some pretty big games too.
When do you start getting packed houses? if not now, when?

The Shiekh has put nothing into your club? You'll be giving it the "Pep over money" nonsense next

RoyH1

From The Times:
When you read that is when you realize that they don’t get what playing in Europe means. Those European nights are such a big part of the game for the historic big clubs. Do you think Borussia or Liverpool fans would look down in going to a their stadium to watch their team play a team from Ukraine or Belgium?

padr81

Supports
Man City
We might be "Only" 50k for some of the less glamourous games, but you're struggling for Premier league games.

There's numerous stories of your "deals" for some pretty big games too.
When do you start getting packed houses? if not now, when?

The Shiekh has put nothing into your club? You'll be giving it the "Pep over money" nonsense next
You should read the article I posted bout United attendances if its only less glamorous games, I mean Liverpool, Real Madrid etc... hardly not glamorous.
I genuinely don't care when tbh.. if at all, it doesn't effect my enjoyment of City in the least.

In the last 3 years, yes, nothing except the Laporte money which I said, I've posted links as to why all our finances are legit with genuine articles from financial experts and facts..
What exactly is your argument based on? Because I've seen nothing from you to support it. Facts and figures please.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
When you read that is when you realize that they don’t get what playing in Europe means. Those European nights are such a big part of the game for the historic big clubs. Do you think Borussia or Liverpool fans would look down in going to a their stadium to watch their team play a team from Ukraine or Belgium?
In a 97000 capacity stadium Barcelona's last six group stage attendances have been: 73920; 96290; 67157; 78656; 55256; 48336.

Are Barcelona not an historic big club?

BTW, who was their one capacity crowd against?

Liverpool did not have a capacity crowd in any of their three group games or the last 16 game last season.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
The multi club franchise model is Soriano's brain child not Abu Dhabi's (another myth) and something he tried to implement at Barcelona before moving on.
CFG doesn't inject money btw but it does keep directors off the books.

In the last 3 years the Sheikh has invested nothing but the Laporte money £54m amortised over the length of his contract which is a 5 year deal so will go through the books at under £11m per year.

Again this is kind of funny, they are "sponsorships" in the same legit means as any of Chelsea's and just like Chelsea's have been deemed market value by the people going through the books (it doesn't matter where they come from). As I've said many times, no one know how much comes from the other 3 Abu Dhabi companies and I too would love to see the breakdown. UEFA funnily enough have, as have the Premier League FFP team and both decided they are fair market value or else we'd be punished on them. You can say it's illegit but it's not. I've posted plenty of links above.
If you look there you'll see they are not above most top 4 clubs and when they are they are its very marginal.

Also we are the only english club who have played consistent CL football in the past few years which also plays a big part.
You seem like a nice enough guy so I'll try to be respectful.

It doesn't matter one bit whose idea was the multi club franchise, it's impossible to realize without your owner's fortune.

The sheikh doesn't have to directly invest anything. One way or the other, it's his family money that keeps your club in a priviledged position where they can spend money they don't earn.

It does matter where the sponsorship money comes from. If my family owns the whole fecking oil state and every company based in the country has links to it, you better believe it matters. Just because the UEFA people don't have the balls to take on the Abu Dhabi ruling family doesn't mean everyone and their mother don't understand what's going on.

Playing in the CL for 7 years straight means feck all, especially if you fail to get out of the group in the first few attempts and are yet to win the tournament. If being prominent in Europe does such wonders for the club's finances how come Chelsea doesn't even come close to your spending and income? Surely the club that actually won the CL and won just as many PL titles as City did since Mansour takeover should be at least as successful when it comes to revenues? And yet...

"Abu Dhabi’s spend on player recruitment has gone far beyond anything ever witnessed before. Recent studies by the CIES Football Observatory report that City have committed €1.47billion to transfer fees since 2010, easily outstripping all others, and some €558m more than famously high spending Madrid.

Forget the strategy of “playing catch up” by buying big in the initial years of ownership, City’s spending on players accelerated around Guardiola’s appointment. In the Catalan’s first two years at the club €586m was committed to transfer fees alone.

When CIES examine the transfer-fee cost of clubs’ current squads, City lead the way on €976m, a spend 24 per-cent higher than second-placed Paris Saint-Germain – another state-owned football club that has come into conflict with European football’s governing body. Barcelona and Madrid’s squads combined cost just €162m more than City’s alone.

The club’s annual report mentions “historical evidence of support provided of more than £1.3billion over the last 10 years” from patent company Abu Dhabi United Group. Yet that figure under-represents the flow of cash into City from the gulf state.

How does a club with a relatively small global support, one that was relegated to England’s third tier as recently as 1998, build the fifth-highest turnover in world football so rapidly? Part of the answer lies in commercial revenues.

City reports turnover from “other commercial activities” of £232.3m last year, 46 percent of all revenue. Only five clubs on the planet have ever returned higher numbers – Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Barca, Madrid and PSG.

City’s numbers are almost a £100m higher than Liverpool’s for 2016/17 and easily outstrip Chelsea (£139.8m) and Arsenal’s (£117.3m). How have City got within striking range of United – a club famed for its ability to mine sponsorship opportunities – and trounced clubs with larger followings?

Four of City’s global partners – Etihad Airways, Etisalat, Visit Abu Dhabi and Aabar – are owned or part-owned by the government of Abu Dhabi. As the emirate is a constitutional monarchy, this means that four of City’s main sponsors are owned by the same family that own the football club. In other words, sponsorship is just another way for Abu Dhabi’s royal family to bankroll the club’s pursuit of sporting dominance
."

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

It doesn't matter one bit whose idea was the multi club franchise, it's impossible to realize without your owner's fortune.

The sheikh doesn't have to directly invest anything. One way or the other, it's his family money that keeps your club in a priviledged position where they can spend money they don't earn.

It does matter where the sponsorship money comes from. If my family owns the whole fecking oil state and every company based in the country has links to it, you better believe it matters. Just because the UEFA people don't have the balls to take on the Abu Dhabi ruling family doesn't mean everyone and their mother doesn't understand what's going on.

Playing in the CL for 7 years staright means feck all, especially if you fail to get out of the group in the first few attempts and are yet to win the tournament. If being prominent in Europe does such wonders for the club's finances how come Chelsea doesn't even come close to your spending and income? Surely the club that actually won the CL and won just as many PL titles as City did since Mansour takeover should be at least as successful when it comes to revenues? And yet...

"Abu Dhabi’s spend on player recruitment has gone far beyond anything ever witnessed before. Recent studies by the CIES Football Observatory report that City have committed €1.47billion to transfer fees since 2010, easily outstripping all others, and some €558m more than famously high spending Madrid.

Forget the strategy of “playing catch up” by buying big in the initial years of ownership, City’s spending on players accelerated around Guardiola’s appointment. In the Catalan’s first two years at the club €586m was committed to transfer fees alone.

When CIES examine the transfer-fee cost of clubs’ current squads, City lead the way on €976m, a spend 24 per-cent higher than second-placed Paris Saint-Germain – another state-owned football club that has come into conflict with European football’s governing body. Barcelona and Madrid’s squads combined cost just €162m more than City’s alone.

The club’s annual report mentions “historical evidence of support provided of more than £1.3billion over the last 10 years” from patent company Abu Dhabi United Group. Yet that figure under-represents the flow of cash into City from the gulf state.

How does a club with a relatively small global support, one that was relegated to England’s third tier as recently as 1998, build the fifth-highest turnover in world football so rapidly? Part of the answer lies in commercial revenues.

City reports turnover from “other commercial activities” of £232.3m last year, 46 percent of all revenue. Only five clubs on the planet have ever returned higher numbers – Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Barca, Madrid and PSG.
."
The bold part.....how ? The answer is you don't not legitimately

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea

It does matter where the sponsorship money comes from. If my family owns the whole fecking oil state and every company based in the country has links to it, you better believe it matters. Just because the UEFA people don't have the balls to take on the Abu Dhabi ruling family doesn't mean everyone and their mother don't understand what's going on.

Playing in the CL for 7 years straight means feck all, especially if you fail to get out of the group in the first few attempts and are yet to win the tournament. If being prominent in Europe does such wonders for the club's finances how come Chelsea doesn't even come close to your spending and income? Surely the club that actually won the CL and won just as many PL titles as City did since Mansour takeover should be at least as successful when it comes to revenues? And yet...

City’s numbers are almost a £100m higher than Liverpool’s for 2016/17 and easily outstrip Chelsea (£139.8m) and Arsenal’s (£117.3m). How have City got within striking range of United – a club famed for its ability to mine sponsorship opportunities – and trounced clubs with larger followings?

Four of City’s global partners – Etihad Airways, Etisalat, Visit Abu Dhabi and Aabar – are owned or part-owned by the government of Abu Dhabi. As the emirate is a constitutional monarchy, this means that four of City’s main sponsors are owned by the same family that own the football club. In other words, sponsorship is just another way for Abu Dhabi’s royal family to bankroll the club’s pursuit of sporting dominance
."
The football channel Tifo Football went through City's finances and they came to the same conclusion. They also said that City shifts all staff payments and other expenditure over to the City Football group so that massive wage bill isn't filed under City's finances. Anyone with 9th grade math skils and google can figure it out. City has inflated their sponsorship, they are not a bigger club than Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal. Their global fan base is no way near this.

Why is most of City's Sponsors located in the UAE?
Why is most of City's record sponsorship incomes come from the UAE?

Roman came in and Splash the cash but all of our commerical revenue comes from legit sources that has been built over the years with success. Before yokohama we were getting peanuts from Samsung same with Addidas and through winning things and becoming a bigger club we have got better deals. United an Arsenal are the same.

We Cheslea fans accept that Roman's money might not be a 100% legit we accept that we bought our success. We don't live in denial or raise arms against people who dare say anything bad about our beloved owner who we know for sure loves football. He is at least before the visa thing at our games.

City as a club no matter what you might say, your accountants have cooked the books to make it look like your complying with FFP and both uefa and here in england don't care or too afraid to upset the apple cart.

I can say for the past couple years we have funded our own transfers ourselves not relying on a cheque from Roman. The only cheque we expect to cash is the stadium development one.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
If it wasn't so fecking expensive these days they may have got more supporters.
United priced me out years ago, and now I just can't get to games (7000 miles away). Watching the TV yesterday and weren't there a lot of empty seats at United? It seemed like it, but the attendance was 74,000.

TheReligion

Abusive
@padr81 sorry but you're clinging on to the Club Cluj game from several years ago and tbh it's no kind of comparison.

The independent BBC investigation has city at the top of the most fabricated attendance table and there was only 34k in at your opening CL game last week.

It's a persistent issue for city, which I think you've agreed on, but you can't keep using Club Cluj as some kind of provenance of United being in the same boat.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
@padr81 sorry but you're clinging on to the Club Cluj game from several years ago and tbh it's no kind of comparison.

The independent BBC investigation has city at the top of the most fabricated attendance table and there was only 34k in at your opening CL game last week.

It's a persistent issue for city, which I think you've agreed on, but you can't keep using Club Cluj as some kind of provenance of United being in the same boat.
It's worse than that, he's using the GMP figures that the GMP themselves said couldn't be trusted. :lol:
There was a thread on here about them when that report came out, even had a 360 degree view of a game against Liverpool they said we had around 70k at, showing it completely packed out.