Kick-off
Sat, 7 April 2018 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

el3mel

The talk about Pep depending on play style more than personnel is pretty ridiculous tbh. His Bayern team was no where near his City's and Barca's because they lacked any personnel to play his heavily demanding football.

Say this about Klopp or Poch but not Pep ffs. All top winning managers as Pep, Carlo, Jose, Allegri.. etc depend on personnel to play their style and win trophies.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
    Would like to see Rashford start this for the obvious Manc reason but don't think we can expect much different that we saw vs Swansea.

Would also start Herrera in a 3, if we go with 2 we'll be chasing shadows all match. That midfield with Sanchez, Lukaku, Mata can match up with them.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
    Which is completely irrelevant, since someone said that City resting key players wouldnt matter which it obviously would. If they play Bravo in goal their chances of conceding will rise massively, if Walker is rested their right side will be much more vulnerable, if Silva or KdB are rested then their ability to hold possession will be worse off. If Sterling or Aguero are rested then their chances of scoring go down massively.
    I said resting key players won't matter much had some context behind it. Apologies for not making it clear earlier. Whatever side which lines up in the derby will have an upper hand against us simply because the brand of football they play. Its effective against whatever we serve. Against a top 6 opponent at the least. We let them have the ball, they have good enough players to put that possession into use. The style is simply effective.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    I said resting key players won't matter much had some context behind it. Apologies for not making it clear earlier. Whatever side which lines up in the derby will have an upper hand against us simply because the brand of football they play. Its effective against whatever we serve. Against a top 6 opponent at the least. We let them have the ball, they have good enough players to put that possession into use. The style is simply effective.
    I read your reasoning. I still disagree. They do not beat teams simply because of style. They do so because of Pep's coaching over 1-2 years and, not least, world class players that cost huge amounts to assemble. If it were mainly about style Pep could join West Ham and get them easily into the CL qualification.

Put it this way, I'd much rather face a City side without De Bruyne, Silva and Sane. Any team would. Why? Because they're far worse without them. Fairly simple.

breakout67

Supports
    Man City
    Well we already know what a weakened side of City looks like, and they are nowhere near their 1st team. It depends on how many players they rest, and I can't agree with this notion that style of play gives on an advantage irrespective of personel.

This is largely due to the fact that personel and style of play are a feedback loop. City play differently with their strongest team compared to their 2nd team, because they have different qualities.

For example if City play with a similar team to what they used against Basel and Shaktar when they lost, I can see us winning quite comfortably. If they play their full 1st team then I think we would have to get lucky to get a win, if they play a mixture of 1st team and back-up players then I can see a close game.

Treble

Well we already know what a weakened side of City looks like, and they are nowhere near their 1st team. It depends on how many players they rest, and I can't agree with this notion that style of play gives on an advantage irrespective of personel.

This is largely due to the fact that personel and style of play are a feedback loop. City play differently with their strongest team compared to their 2nd team, because they have different qualities.

For example if City play with a similar team to what they used against Basel and Shaktar when they lost, I can see us winning quite comfortably. If they play their full 1st team then I think we would have to get lucky to get a win, if they play a mixture of 1st team and back-up players then I can see a close game.
    This is the most likely scenario. Guardiola will probalby rest 4-5 players (e.g., Kompany, Fernandinho, one from KDB and Silva, Sterling and Jesus) but they will be on the bench and some of them will be subbed in in the second half.

The game with Basel was completely unimportant. If they play with a similar team reinforced with Ederson, KDB/Silva and Kompany/Otamendy, it will be quite tough to beat them at their ground because this time the game will be very important. Against Basel they were going through the motions. Then again, the game vs Wigan was very imporant and they lost it. Maybe the absence of 4-5 players makes a huge difference after all.

The problem is that if they play a weakened side and win, they will be treated as heroes. Which gives them a psychological advantage.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

---------------De Gea---------------
    Valencia--Bailly--Smalling--Young
    ----------------Matic----------------
    ----McTominay------Pogba----
    Mata---------Lukaku---------Rashford

Subs: Pereira, Lindelof, Herrera, Fellaini, Lingard, Martial, Sanchez

Treble

----------------DDG
    ------------Matic
    -------Herrera----Pogba
    ----Lingard-------------Sanchez
    --------------Lukaku

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    Team should be...

100% this. Midfield 3 perfect - can’t use Herrera because he’s no where near match fit. Mata is first one on team sheet for me. Rashford could be replaced with Sanchez but I still don’t trust his consistency yet so Rashford it is

Revaulx

Team should be...

Yup. I’d rather have Herrera than McTominay but doubt he’s match fit.

Can’t really see Rashford starting over Sanchez, though I’d be delighted if he did. Mata is vital.

Canagel

Team should be...

That team is actually not too bad. I think if Rashford keeps the width we can have some joy. Plus he does well vs City. Sanchez unfortunately keeps cutting inside and this is a problem because Mata is already drifting inside so if you start them both you end up with no width because the fullbacks hardly get forward. That team with Sanchez instead of Lukaku however would be interesting to see but Jose will never do that. He's very good upfront and is capable of pressing defenders. Lindelof ahead of Smalling. If City press him we're in trouble because he can't pass to save his life. Hoofing isn't going to cut it because Lukaku is poor in the air.

Swift Football

Hopefully Liverpool will give them tough game and they rest some or all of Silva, De Bruyne, Sane and Ederson for their second leg.

Infra-red

So, we beat City, they draw their next game and lose to Spurs. Gap reduced to 8 with 4 to play. Title race back on.
    :lol: I applaud the optimism!

Realistically, this will probably be a comfortable victory for City in a game where they'll have 75% or more of the ball.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
    Supports
    city
    Hopefully Liverpool will give them tough game and they rest some or all of Silva, De Bruyne, Sane and Ederson for their second leg.
    Highly doubt Ederson will be rested but every chance that a first choice CB a CM and a Forward will be left on bench.
    Guardiola won't want to expose too many top players to what may be a physical game but realises that the home fans will be expecting the opportunity to clinch the title against United not to be treated lightly-some of them still moan about our League Cup exit last season!

Can see something like

Ederson

Walker
    Kompany
    Stones
    Danilo

Gundogan
    De Bruyne
    Bernardo

Sterling
    Aguero
    G Jesus

Subs
    Bravo, Laporte, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, D Silva, Foden, Sane.

Delph and Mendy unlikely to be considered and unless Laporte foot injury is worse than thought then Otamendi nay be rested.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    As is the case in every single big game we play, Mata must start. The only player of composure we have in these fixtures.

Raw

Surely those previous meetings listed in the OP cant be right? 2 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss?
    Think there's a mistake I think. It should be:

City 0-1 United (15/16 PL)
    United 1-2 City (16/17 PL)
    United 1-0 City (16/17 LC)
    City 0-0 United (16/17 PL)
    United 1-2 City (17/18 PL)

2W, 1D, 2L

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
    Can't see beyond a City win but if we're going to lose let's play with the panache that Utd are were noted for
    Edit - :(

Not feeling optimistic about this. Going for 2-0 City.

But hoping for Mourinho masterclass nethertheless.

PepsiCola

As is the case in every single big game we play, Mata must start. The only player of composure we have in these fixtures.
    I'd be shocked if he does.

Expecting a 433. McTominay Matic Pogba midfield. Front three of Sanchez Lukaku Jesse.

Canagel

Yes definitely. We always miss a trick by not playing Mata in the big games. He's always done really well for us in them and for some reason always gets dropped for others. We need some control and he is someone who will keep the ball. Even against City this season we were awful and creating hardly nothing until Mata came on and finally we started playing some football. The Lukaku chance at the end was started by Mata in the middle of the pitch.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    4-3-3 is needed or 5-3-2, but I won't tempt 4-2-3-1 against them as their midfield is so technical that we would struggle.

Hope for a fantastic bus and a poor 0-0 (We are reduced at hoping a draw against them now... ho poor are we)

We will probably have one or two of our players man marking theirs (Mc Tominay and Pogba on De Bruyne and Silva with probably Lingard or Sanchez trying to disrupt Fernandinho or Gundogan)

4-3-3

De Gea

Valencia
    Bailly
    Smalling
    Young

Matic
    Mc Tominay
    Pogba

Sanchez
    Lukaku
    Lingard

5-3-2

De Gea

Valencia
    Bailly
    Smalling
    Lindelof
    Young

Matic
    Pogba
    Mc Tominay/Lingard

Sanchez
    Lukaku

Member 90887

i think the team pep will play will depend on their game today against liverpool. they play us saturday then play liverpool tuesday.

If they win against liverpool, he'll definitly play a full team, if they get battered by Liverpool (By a two goals difference), well, that's another story, i think he would rest some of his superstar for the home leg against them.

They are favourite, that's clear. but if they're missing one of De bruyne or Silva, we could get something from there, even a win. their midfield is what sets them apart from the other team.

prath92

Think we will possibly go for a3 man midfield

Valencia - smalling - Bailly - Young
    Matic
    McTominay-Pogba
    Lingard - Lukaku - Sanchez

AngliaRed

..............DDG...............
    Tony...Bailly...Smalling...Young
    ..............Matic...................
    .......Herrera....Pogba............
    ..............Mata...............