Manchester United 21/22 Season Expectations

SATA

Have you not watched Liverpools challenge disintegrate without decent defenders and midfielders.
Kane and Sancho would mean a very big forward improvement up front - but we are not winning any PL with the current crop of central defenders and midfielders, Maguire aside
That's fair enough but i think our offence will win us most games if we have Kane, Rashford and Mason/Sancho as a front three and Cavani as fantastic backup. It's a more prolific strike force than the dippers, and we have Bruno feeding them balls while they do not. I really think we will outscore most teams and win games more often than not

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Depends on who we sign in the coming window really
This pretty much is the final answer. Ambition of every big club is building a team reflecting the might of it.

Signing James & Donny so far looks like opposing that ambition.

always_hoping

Finishing 2nd when I and many more thought it would be a struggle to finish 4th is not a disappointment of a season. Winning a trophy next Wednesday would be a nice bonus and finish to the season.

Biggest disappointment of the season was the CL group exit but even Ferguson had a few CL group exits and you live and learn from them. Domestic cup exits was to the eventually winners. United simply don't have the strength in depth to be fighting on all fronts.

As for 2021/22 season expectations, I'll get back to that after the transfer window closes, its agurably Uniteds most important transfer window is decades with an opportunity to break through the glass ceiling if done right.

meamth

Watch this video, THIS is the expectation at Manchester United.

Of course, but realistically, what we can achieve next season, that's the question here.
Finishing 2nd when I and many more thought it would be a struggle to finish 4th is not a disappointment of a season. Winning a trophy next Wednesday would be a nice bonus and finish to the season.

Biggest disappointment of the season was the CL group exit but even Ferguson had a few CL group exits and you live and learn from them. Domestic cup exits was to the eventually winners. United simply don't have the strength in depth to be fighting on all fronts.

As for 2021/22 season expectations, I'll get back to that after the transfer window closes, its agurably Uniteds most important transfer window is decades with an opportunity to break through the glass ceiling if done right.
Bookmark this thread :wenger: . Love your review for this season, I'm feeling the same way.

Overall, I'm satisfied as we're all predicting 4th this season.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Well, it’s kind of a given that a big club and top class coaching team will develop players further, and you also have to assume some time for players from abroad to adjust to the Premier League etc but, off the top of my head, Ederson, Walker, Dias, Gundogan, B.Silva, Sterling, Mahrez, De Bruyne, Cancelo. Then some that were young but with the potential to become World Class, like Stones, Ferran Torres, Jesus, Rodri - these are at various levels of success.
I’m using a looser definition of ‘world class’ - eg would walk into most teams in the world, let’s not get hung up on some childish FIFA type definition of world class like “best in the world in their position” or “gets into a World XI” please.
Walker i'll give you because he would of walked into any PL team and most European ones but players like Ederson, how many people had heard of him outside of the Portuguese league before he signed for City? Same as B. Silva? No one batted an eye when they signed Días but now he looks the part all of a sudden he would of walked into any team in the world? He was £12m cheaper than Maquire but he was never on our radar. Why? Gundogan was a crock that City took a chance on, Mahrezs temperament was always going to be in question even if the talent was there. Sterling is a complicated one because he did have a lot of potential but that's all it was. Proper coaching got him to a high level for 3-4 seasons although that does seem to be petering off this season. De Bruyne was a Chelsea reject and most of us where laughing at Cancelo last season calling him another dud. Hindsight is a fantastic thing.

Don't forget we signed players like De Pay, one of the hottest young talents in Dutch football. We signed THE biggest talent in world football in Martial and a world class talent in (hate to say his name out loud) DeMaria. Just because they haven't been a success here doesn't mean that City have signed much better players than us. Could it be having a top coach/coaching staff would get more out of a player than our setup the last 8 years? Do you trust McKenna, Phelan and Carrick to get the absolute most out of players the way Pep has? Because I'm sorry to say I don't.

GlasgowCeltic

Good post mate, honestly didn't think 2nd was doable after the signings served up in the summer in the name of "squad depth". Gotta let Ole get some proper players in this time to have a crack at the title even if he fails.

Zlatattack

Of course, but realistically, what we can achieve next season, that's the question here.

Bookmark this thread :wenger: . Love your review for this season, I'm feeling the same way.

Overall, I'm satisfied as we're all predicting 4th this season.
I'd be interested to know if SAF had the same mentality when he took over Manchester United on day 1. Did he expect excellence or was it something that happened over time.

RedDevilRoshi

Has to be a title challenge but I suppose he needs to be backed 1st otherwise it just ain’t gonna happen?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Win the league or be in contention till the last couple game weeks. Also minimum quarter final in the Champions League and fa cup . League cup doesn't matter.

sugar_kane

Sorry if it's been shared already but the odds for next year are interesting:

https://m.skybet.com/football/premier-league/event/27409986

City runaway favourites as expected, but both Chelsea and Liverpool are ahead of us.

Liverpool cannot possibly have as bad a run as they had in early 2021 (although here's hoping) and Chelsea will have a full season of Tuchel, so you'd expect they'll be much more competitive next season - but it does feel like we're being underestimated somewhat.

We've lost the same amount of games as City who the pundits would have you believe just had the best season ever - we just need to turn those draws into wins, through a bit more creativity up front and by stopping giving away stupid goals on set pieces.

Redfrog

If we upgrade at centre back, and get a quality defensive midfielder who can pass as well as crunch, I think we'll challenge for the title.

If we don't, then we'll be fighting for top four come the end of the season. Wouldn't be surprised to see City, Chelsea and Liverpool improve over the summer. Leaving us to fight it out with Leicester for Champions League football like we did last season.
How did we fight with Leicester but finished above them and Chelsea last season ?

Redfrog

Ole won't get backed, that's a given. Last summer was atrocious. We spent like 3 months on the Sancho deal and never even came close to doing it

I hope the new recruitment structure we created at the beginning of 2021 will help. Let's see

John Murtough will face a bit of head if it's the same old shit as last Summer
If we don’t invest this summer Glazer’s will take the hit. I think we will spend, not as much as we need but hope it will be a good summer.

Eriku

Ole won't get backed, that's a given. Last summer was atrocious. We spent like 3 months on the Sancho deal and never even came close to doing it

I hope the new recruitment structure we created at the beginning of 2021 will help. Let's see

John Murtough will face a bit of head if it's the same old shit as last Summer
He’ll get no head from me if we don’t do better than last summer.

Crustanoid

He has to be backed heavily and crucially, early to even stand a chance.

We’re already playing massive catch up to City and given they’re ahead of our trajectory by some time, even if Ole does get backed we’re odds on not to finish above them.

Liverpool / Chelsea? They will improve. That’s a given. So to finish above them we need full backing.

So if Ole isn’t given what he needs to get us to the next level, or is only partially backed, then he can only realistically be expected to get us top 4 and maybe a minor trophy.

Let’s hope the Glazers and the new ‘Directorate’ don’t let us down

mancsarered

Sadly, I don't expect us to spend heavy for a top CDM or CB, so while I think we will add to the depth of our squad, I don't see us as title challengers.

I would be thrilled if we could hold 2nd place and win a trophy. Liverpool will be back in the fold to challenge City. If I'm wrong and Ole is backed in the market, we should give City a scare. I still see us as 2-3 windows from a true title challenge as the likes of McFred & Lindelof will still be getting too many minutes, and there is deadwood like Matic to rotate the squad instead of a younger, more promising option.

Jaxa

It's really quite simple,

Back Ole with the players he needs and we challenge for the title,

New RW, CDM, CB & cheapish RB , or don't back him and we will be fighting for top 4 if we're lucky with no real chance of a good run in UCL.

Henderson
AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Rice
Bruno Pogba
Sancho - Cavani - Rashford

Subs: Martial, Greenwood, Amad, Donny, Scott, Fred, Lindelof, Bailly, Telles, Trippier, De Gea ?
That team and squad are challenging on all fronts.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How did we fight with Leicester but finished above them and Chelsea last season ?
You know what I mean. Had we lost on the final day of last season we would've been out of the top four. It went down to the wire.

However, if we don't strengthen properly this summer Chelsea will leapfrog us, as will Liverpool and we'll probably end up going into the last day of next season hoping to finish above Leicester.

FatTails

This is Manchester United, it’ll always be title challenge. No matter the squad strength or quality of players, expectations will never change.
Whether it’s achievable is a different conversation but that’s what makes it exciting supporting this club. Even at our weakest, we’ll always believe we as good as anyone out there.
Some might call this delusion. We’ve spent years laughing at RAWK for saying their squad is the best, comparing first 11s, and saying this year will be their year.

Redfrog

You know what I mean. Had we lost on the final day of last season we would've been out of the top four. It went down to the wire.

However, if we don't strengthen properly this summer Chelsea will leapfrog us, as will Liverpool and we'll probably end up going into the last day of next season hoping to finish above Leicester.
Agree, we have to strengthen but we can’t take for granted that other clubs will be better . Probably but I hope not.

Eugenius

Too early to say. But Liverpool will get players back and probably sign 2-3 more. Chelsea will have a full season under Tuchel and probably let him sign a few players.

I think it'll be a good season if we finish above both of them, and naturally I think that would take us closer to City.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Agree, we have to strengthen but we can’t take for granted that other clubs will be better . Probably but I hope not.
City and Chelsea have the money, and they've both clearly briefed the media that they will spend, so right off the bat that's two.

Liverpool have Jota back from injury, soon they'll have Van Dijk and they've already done a pre-contract with Konate. That'll make them better before we even get to the summer and they'll undoubtedly sign more players.

So ultimately it comes down to our ambition. Leicester seem to have already done a deal for Soumare, which just makes the gulf between their centre midfield and ours even bigger. McFred is already a substantial downgrade on Ndidi and Tielemans. Now they've got another rotation option that Rogers will rate higher than any double pivot options we have except Pogba.

It comes down to our ambition. If we a top class centre back and a top class defensive midfielder, yes, we'll still be dependent on injuries like Liverpool have been. However, if, like them last season, we can keep our key players fit we have a chance at the title. If we don't buy well we'll have enough attacking talent to get a lot of points but nowhere near what's needed for a title push and, to me, its not obvious we'll easily keep our noses in front of Leicester.

I don't see us having a really nightmarish season and finishing as low down as we did under Moyes. But without real commitment to back Ole from the club we'll struggle.

Ultimately I don't think the Glazers care. If Ole could be the new Arsene Wenger, and guarantee them fourth every season, they'd settle for that.

OJKernow

Impossible to predict before any transfer business is done, but assuming we (realistically) make 1-3 solid additions.
  • Mount a more sustained 'title challenge'. Being within 5-7 points off the leaders going into the final 4/5 matchdays. It's a massive jump to say 'win the league', but make sure we are actually in the hunt in the latter stages, with a 1st-3rd place finish on a higher points tally than this season being the expectation.
  • Better CL performance (not just the first 3 matchdays). If we win the Europa we end up in Pot 1, so in theory should avoid a complete 'group of death'. 1/4 finals realistic, with good performances, and a couple nights to remember under the floodlights at Old Trafford, recapture the magic of those nights.
  • Domestic cup final. We've reached many quarter and semi finals in the last few seasons, and if we can't make the stretch to win the league or CL, we should be targeting more silverware in those cups.

• Move on more of the deadwood, bring on another youngster or two and relegate some of our more 'average' players to 'squad/rotation' roles, whilst hopefully improving the first choice 11 with 1-2 key additions.

yamo123x

Depends on who we get in and who others sign.We are desperate for an injection of quality and increased competiton for places.

Think team has overachieved this season, points put us 2nd but performances are nowhere near 2nd...

Feel we need to adopt a way of playing where we are on front foot taking the game to the opposition, this is when we are at our best....however this season we wait to go a goal behind before we start playing.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Some might call this delusion. We’ve spent years laughing at RAWK for saying their squad is the best, comparing first 11s, and saying this year will be their year.
Are football fans not naturally delusional? Passion is what drives our support, which goes against all basic sense of reasoning.

Infra-red

My expectation for next year is that we'll be involved in a big scrap for top 4. I'd still fancy us to get at least fourth, as I think we'll find a way to keep our noses in front of Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton etc, but I don't think we'll win a major trophy or run City particularly close in the league.

I don't really rate Solskjaer or the current squad and I've not been enamoured with our transfer dealings in the last few years. In short, I doubt that the club is capable of getting in the players that Ole would need to have at his disposal, if he was going to mount a proper title challenge.

largelyworried

Our expectations should be the same as last year - clear improvement, season to season. At this point, we can't really improve any more without seriously challenging for the title, and making meaningful progress in the CL. So those are the targets. More generally I'd want to see the following.

- More control of matches, less desperate comebacks (cool as they may be)
- Much tighter defence, less than a goal a game
- Better performances against the other top 6 teams
- Better home record

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't see us challenging for the title regardless of the signings. However, I expect top 4 and not getting eliminated in the first round of UCL.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The only way we can improve in the league is by finishing 1st or by finishing runners up again but with more pts and a smaller gap to 1st.

Will Ole get the players he wants this summer? I doubt it.

Prediction: 3rd or 4th.

bondsname

Since we'll have a kit sponsor with a white logo, I expect us to win the league.

bsCallout

Depends on who we get in and who others sign.We are desperate for an injection of quality and increased competiton for places.

Think team has overachieved this season, points put us 2nd but performances are nowhere near 2nd...

Feel we need to adopt a way of playing where we are on front foot taking the game to the opposition, this is when we are at our best....however this season we wait to go a goal behind before we start playing.
That's not true. Often times the goals we concede early are because weve been countered because we are pressing and/or trying to play with the ball and made a mistake.

We tend to get back into games because we seem to have a way of having A LOT more energy as the games go on compared to other teams, leaving us less vulnerable to the counter, or at least at less risk to the counter.

RobertoBaggio99

A title challenge until the last rounds is a utopia.
City are finishing 12pts +/- ahead of us and are in a CL final; Add Kane to that and they're winning the league again next season.
Chelsea are 4pts behind us and have underperformed according to expectations and xPts. Also in a CL final.
Liverpool 5pts behind us with both starter CB's and 1st backup out for most of the season. All of whom back before august.

If we get Sancho and a CB/DM, I expect us to improve our point tally by a fair amount to about 80pts, which will be enough to finish 2nd or at the very least 3rd, with a big gap up to 1st. We should also be good enough for respectable runs in the cups + CL. 0 trophies would be disappointing, I fancy our chances in CL over PL.

Aouer-United

I expect Ole to part at end of the season with 70 as a point after getting Sancho, DM and CB in the transfer window. Ole is not suitable coaches for us, he'd be good for all other middle teams but not for top teams.

JuriM

Win the Premier League & Champions League
Have a decent run in domestic cups

None of this "realistic shit" we are Manchester United and that's our realm.