Manchester United commit to paying all staff above the Real Living Wage

choccy77

What's funny about Real Living Wage, London Wage etc etc is that the government literally pay less to people in need on UC and are in fact the biggest contributors to adult and family poverty.

Ibi Dreams

I love this. I really hope more companies will start to do this in the near future, United are setting a good example that others will hopefully follow

The Original

Does this put the Glazers in a somewhat better light? I've not been entirely convinced they quite as bad for the club as most seem to think.

owlo

Does this put the Glazers in a somewhat better light? I've not been entirely convinced they quite as bad for the club as most seem to think.
I don’t think that being scummy businessmen happy to plunder a business entity is incompatible with having a social conscience and values.

lysglimt

Scout
Considering we are talking about 1000 employees and a few extra pounds - it's really not that much money. Probably a lot less than what we pay an average member of our squad. So it's good that they do it - but petty if they don't

InfiniteBoredom

Considering we are talking about 1000 employees and a few extra pounds - it's really not that much money. Probably a lot less than what we pay an average member of our squad. So it's good that they do it - but petty if they don't
Give the credit where it’s due, Liverpool used the furlough scheme and Arsenal even made their mascot redundant while charging the highest ticket price in the league. As far as cnuty owners go, ours still have something approaching a conscience.

jackal&hyde

Give the credit where it’s due, Liverpool used the furlough scheme and Arsenal even made their mascot redundant while charging the highest ticket price in the league. As far as cnuty owners go, ours still have something approaching a conscience.
I have to agree with that. The club also moved well to provide food to the community, kept all the staff at 100% and now this. ESL aside, they've done really, really well the Glazers as of late.

Skills

Snitch
Or are more aware of their public perception. But whatever the motive it is still fantastic for the club to do this.

Nights

I have to agree with that. The club also moved well to provide food to the community, kept all the staff at 100% and now this. ESL aside, they've done really, really well the Glazers as of late.
Exactly. There’s plenty to be annoyed at the Glazer’s about but at least we’ve treated our staff and the community right during Covid. Plenty of other wealthy Premier Clubs weren’t shy about cutting costs or using public money, at least until the had PR bit them in the bum.

Ibi Dreams

Well, most companies don't. For unskilled work it's still normal for big, extremely wealthy companies to pay the very least they can i.e minimum wage.

lysglimt

Scout
Well, most companies don't. For unskilled work it's still normal for big, extremely wealthy companies to pay the very least they can i.e minimum wage.
That may be - but when you have deGea and Pogba making £700.000 a week combined - it's not really a big deal to give her hard-working employees a few pounds extra

mav_9me

That may be - but when you have deGea and Pogba making £700.000 a week combined - it's not really a big deal to give her hard-working employees a few pounds extra
Clearly not as easy seeing what Liverpool and arsenal did.

pacifictheme

This is a nice thing for the owners to do, but is also more than likely motivated by image rather than a genuine sense of doing the right thing. No other owners have seen protests like ours have this year and this is a very cheap pr exercise for them.

Great for the employees involved though, and that's the main thing really.

joobier

Yes but they don’t have too and they did anyway. Feeling valued by your employer goes a very long way and makes getting up for work in the morning that bit easier.

Obviously the Glazer’s have serious faults but this news has given me another reason to be proud to support this club.

Reactions: Penna

dove

That's not how it works. A few pounds extra for 1000 employees will add up to quite a few million. Since it's unskilled work, there are 100s of people willing to work for the minimum wage so we (or any other company) don't have to pay the real living wage if we don't want as from financial POV it makes no sense to do it. We do it just because the Glazers desperately need good PR.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
People really will moan at anything. I don't care why they are doing, and I'm sure the staff whose wage will increase because of it don't care either. They've got the means to do it and are making sure every employee has a more comfortable economic life.

Don’t forget Neil Ashton has a PR role now. Obviously it’s a good thing, although ESL, do have to wonder if a lot of what the Glazers have been doing has been due to his advice. They’ve been more socially since before the ESL debacle

Tom Van Persie

No relation
That's not how it works. A few pounds extra for 1000 employees will add up to quite a few million. Since it's unskilled work, there are 100s of people willing to work for the minimum wage so we (or any other company) don't have to pay the real living wage if we don't want as from financial POV it makes no sense to do it. We do it just because the Glazers desperately need good PR.
You can say what you want but they take care of the employees at the club. We seen that last year during the first lockdown.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
When you think of the contracts they're prepared to throw at players and fees for agents etc., all club employees should be paid a decent wage. End of.

Deery

Dreary
Great news minimum wages is about £10 an hour now so good news for anyone employed by the club.,

cyril C

I thought the grounds men and toilet ladies are already earning 100K. Who is making less than 50K nowadays?