Manchester United has most sustainable squad in the big-5

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So the only way a team can have a bright future is by already being successful? Sure.
Models are based on past information, so I have to wonder how these guys came to the conclusion and words they did.

Basically, is their measure of a bright future the same as ours? I suspect it's more to do with reaching the latter stages of comps and they may still be 'right' in the end but we as fans might disagree.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Models are based on past information, so I have to wonder how these guys came to the conclusion and words they did.

Basically, is their measure of a bright future the same as ours? I suspect it's more to do with reaching the latter stages of comps and they may still be 'right' in the end but we as fans might disagree.
You've tiptoeing around your original point though. You've stated that getting knocked out in semi finals and being in second place means we can't have a bright future. You're saying one of the youngest squads in the league can't improve. You know as well as I do that's bollocks. We have a very healthy squad at the moment. As I said previously, on the proviso that we make a couple more shrewd signings we will have a squad capable of competing at the highest level.

lex talionis

This point in particular caught my eye:

“and eventually lift again the Premier League trophy.”

I really don’t see the connection between the underlying data presented in the piece and the claim that United will therefore “lift again the PL trophy”, although he did add the caveat “eventually”.

I’m confident in our future, but nothing is written in stone. We still have quite a bit of squad-building to do before we can expect to win the PL trophy again.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Well it means we have a squad that is young and talented and therefore we can pinpoint the areas of weakness and have a very competitive team, without having to have a total rebuild anytime soon (unlike other sides.)

It doesn’t mean we are better or worse than any other team, all it means is we’ve improved our recruitment (thanks Ole! Even though others don’t give him any credit for it.)

It effectively means we have an excellent base to build on. Again, thanks Ole.
Actually most of his signings would score us lowly on the sustainability because they've not been with us for enough time.

Roboc7

Even if we have Pep Guardiola or getting back Sir Alex Ferguson to the managerial job is also guarantee absolutely nothing. So even if you want to put input on it or other alternative to tell people in here another best way that United should do from now is also guarantee absolutely nothing.

End of the day, Nothing is guaranteed mate. But what we absolutely know is in order to win major trophies like PL or CL, we need to have a good proper squad to win it. In order word, you want to rebuild the squad first because that is the most important initial step and rebuilding job doesn't take an instant process. Players are currently being well developed and show improvement and we injected leaders in the squad, that's also part of the progress.
We don’t know we have a good squad or a good manager or DOF or anything and this SSM is ignoring talent and competence which is why it reflects well on us.

All we have at Utd is people with no experience or success telling us it’s all going to better in future. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t but they can only keep kicking can down the road so long. I take little comfort from being a slightly younger squad than City but having less talent on and off the pitch.

Dr. Mowinckel

Those metrics seem completely ridiculous do they not? As i understand it the calculation is basically (years spent at club)*(years on contract)*(% of games)/age

Age will barely matter then. A 40 year old who has spent 8 years at the club is twice as sustainable as a 20 year old who has spent two years at the club according to this metric. So essentially the way to "win" this sustainability measure is just to keep players for as long as possible, on the longest possible contracts, regardless of their ability.

That definitely sounds like a competition we would win but I'd be hard pressed to call it a sustainable strategy :lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We don’t know we have a good squad or a good manager or DOF or anything and this SSM is ignoring talent and competence which is why it reflects well on us.

All we have at Utd is people with no experience or success telling us it’s all going to better in future. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t but they can only keep kicking can down the road so long. I take little comfort from being a slightly younger squad than City but having less talent on and off the pitch.
Then you are completely missing the whole point if you think the point is about having a slightly younger squad than City. That's not what I was talking about as progress. You are on something else mate, go read it again.

Roboc7

Then you are completely missing the whole point if you think the point is about having a slightly younger squad than City. That's not what I was talking about as progress. You are on something else mate, go read it again.
Don’t throw yourself toys out, you used this SSM as evidence you know better as others can’t see what’s going on but you clearly don’t understand what’s it’s actually saying.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Don’t throw yourself toys out, you used this SSM as evidence you know better as others can’t see what’s going on but you clearly don’t understand what’s it’s actually saying.
Cut the crap and tell me what's the context of my post. You are the one who started this by replying to my post originally so don't start dragging me into something that I never actually say in the post you replied.

Lewnited

Well it means we have a squad that is young and talented and therefore we can pinpoint the areas of weakness and have a very competitive team, without having to have a total rebuild anytime soon (unlike other sides.)

It doesn’t mean we are better or worse than any other team, all it means is we’ve improved our recruitment (thanks Ole! Even though others don’t give him any credit for it.)

It effectively means we have an excellent base to build on. Again, thanks Ole.
But this is just what you've chosen to take from the article, not actually what it is saying. Based on the metrics they've given, new signings are actually cause a reduction on our sustainability rating, and nowhere does it talk about the talent of the squad.
The only thing you can really take from this is that we have a pretty young squad... which I'm sure everyone already knows. Though as I said, I have no idea how that correlates with our performance levels.

elmo

Those metrics seem completely ridiculous do they not? As i understand it the calculation is basically (years spent at club)*(years on contract)*(% of games)/age

Age will barely matter then. A 40 year old who has spent 8 years at the club is twice as sustainable as a 20 year old who has spent two years at the club according to this metric. So essentially the way to "win" this sustainability measure is just to keep players for as long as possible, on the longest possible contracts, regardless of their ability.

That definitely sounds like a competition we would win but I'd be hard pressed to call it a sustainable strategy :lol:
They've to play minutes in the league for them to be included in the calculation.

This whole sustainablility just boils down to the club not getting new players to replace those in the starting 11, which you can either see it as the club believing in their existing players or the club being shit with their transfers.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This essentially says that if nobody signed anybody over the next few years, or sold anyone, and nobody got promoted in the first team, that we would be best positioned to maintain our level at least over the next 3-5 years. Which makes sense. Our first team squad is young and will improve for the most part. Some others have a lot of key players who are older, so need to replace those minutes so you add risk in. There's not much risk in Rashford for the next 5 years, or Shaw, or Wan Bissaka, etc.

That's what this is pretty much saying. It's nice, as you know you have a good basis to go off of and don't need a dramatic overhaul of your squad to maintain your level, assuming everyone progresses development wise at the same age frames and declines at the same time.

Dr. Mowinckel

They've to play minutes in the league for them to be included in the calculation.
That's not really the point though. Sure, it excludes ridiculous cases like Phil Jones, but it still rewards keeping inadequate squad players rather than attempting to add new competion.

In general the weights to each variable are just completely off the mark. Even just looking at first XI, the model will tell you that if you have a squad of past it 30+ year old it is a more sustainable strategy to keep them than to buy new players or even promote from your academy.

The model doesn't model sustainability, it models stagnation - just with a very small correction based on age. It's basically a bad attempt at making a positive spin on being unable to ship your deadwood and land your transfer targets.

RUCK4444

But this is just what you've chosen to take from the article, not actually what it is saying. Based on the metrics they've given, new signings are actually cause a reduction on our sustainability rating, and nowhere does it talk about the talent of the squad.
The only thing you can really take from this is that we have a pretty young squad... which I'm sure everyone already knows. Though as I said, I have no idea how that correlates with our performance levels.
Well it's not really performance related though is it? It's more to do with the sustainability of the squad, where promoting youth and overall age of the squad etc is factored in, that was my take on it.

If it's not that and not performance related then feck knows what it proves. :lol:

SAFMUTD

Murtough previous job was related to our academy and the woman teams so technically this was bit of part of his work but the most influence one obviously Ole and his coaching staffs.

We spent the money on good age players like Bruno, Maguire, Bissaka, James, VDB, Diallo and etc. And also how him and his coaching staffs improve and develop our players like McTominay, Shaw Rashford and etc. This is something what people (who don’t appreciate the progress we made under Ole) couldn’t see. The re-structure and rebuild of the squad, progress is not just about points but also the squad and we have better squad now for long term than when we were under Jose. @SAFMUTD
Having a younger squad doesnt necessarily mean its a better squad. Sure if your key players are young then is a plus meaning Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, etc are fairly young and with lots of years ahead. But having young players like James means feck, he wont improve much so it doesn't matter if he's young or not.

Also this doesn’t take into account that squads are constantly renewed, so saying its safe to say we'll have top 4 in the next years because we have a young squad is not taking into account all the ins and outs of teams.

I think we dont need an statistic to see the obvious, if the key players of a squad are aging the team will decline. But the clubs job is to replace those players.

Brightonian

Healthy number of young players: good.
High average length of contract remaining: good.
High average number of years already spent at the club: too complex to be significant. For example, Phil Jones.

I don't think all the 'but is it a trophies tho' replies are necessary though. We are allowed to discuss other things than success.

elmo

That's not really the point though. Sure, it excludes ridiculous cases like Phil Jones, but it still rewards keeping inadequate squad players rather than attempting to add new competion.

In general the weights to each variable are just completely off the mark. Even just looking at first XI, the model will tell you that if you have a squad of past it 30+ year old it is a more sustainable strategy to keep them than to buy new players or even promote from your academy.

The model doesn't model sustainability, it models stagnation - just with a very small correction based on age. It's basically a bad attempt at making a positive spin on being unable to ship your deadwood and land your transfer targets.
It does because we tend to play a small squad and loads of our unwanted players do not get enough minutes to impact this model.

It's a shit model really.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Having a younger squad doesnt necessarily mean its a better squad. Sure if your key players are young then is a plus meaning Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, etc are fairly young and with lots of years ahead. But having young players like James means feck, he wont improve much so it doesn't matter if he's young or not.

Also this doesn’t take into account that squads are constantly renewed, so saying its safe to say we'll have top 4 in the next years because we have a young squad is not taking into account all the ins and outs of teams.

I think we dont need an statistic to see the obvious, if the key players of a squad are aging the team will decline. But the clubs job is to replace those players.
You are forgetting the fact that we are not just having a younger squad but actually younger squad that is currently well developed and showing improvement. Is it better to have a younger squad that is currently well developed and showing improvement than the one under Jose who stop developing and showing sign improvement but relying on spending money on already made 29 years old players?

SAFMUTD

You are forgetting the fact that we are not just having a younger squad but actually younger squad that is currently well developed and showing improvement. Is it better to have a younger squad that is currently well developed and showing improvement than the one under Jose who stop developing and showing sign improvement but relying on spending money on already made 29 years old players?
Of course is better, I agree we have a squad with more potential today than 2 years ago. But we still need those players to fulfill their potential, thats why I don't think its given that we'll be comfortably top 4.

With youngsters you can either strike gold or a total blow out, hopefully its the first one.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Of course is better, I agree we have a squad with more potential today than 2 years ago. But we still need those players to fulfill their potential, thats why I don't think its given that we'll be comfortably top 4.

With youngsters you can either strike gold or a total blow out, hopefully its the first one.
The point of me saying our young squad is being ''well developed & showing improvement'' is for the sake of players to fulfil their potential. That's why the rebuilding job will take time and that's where we see the progress of the squad not only based on how many points we had in the league.

SAFMUTD

The point of me saying our young squad is being ''well developed & showing improvement'' is for the sake of players to fulfil their potential. That's why the rebuilding job will take time and that's where we see the progress of the squad not just based on how many points we had in the league.
I agree, all Im saying is that progress/fulfillment of potential is not given and we shouldnt take it as such.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree, all Im saying is that progress/fulfillment of potential is not given and we shouldnt take it as such.
Again, the fulfilment of potential is not the progress you should see now. But instead, how the squad has evolved each year, how the squad shown improvement and being well developed is what you should see as sign of progress going the right path and better path than under Mourinho. This is manager's 2nd full season, you can't expect to judge the progress based on the player's fulfilment of potential now.

AkaAkuma

All it means is that we can sustain our current level - 2nd and generally get to semi finals for say the next 4 years, while rivals such as arsenal, spurs are playing catch up in terms of performance and squad management.

It doesnt mean we will win anything, but we have a more stable foundation for squad development which can lead to success.

This is the kind of work that people clamouring for a DoF have wanted. Somebody capable of playing the long game and having a strategy.