Manchester United - January transfer window 2015 (twitter blacklist applies)

thelemon

Let's go mental and sign Garay, Coleman, Strootman, Subotic and Ronaldo in the next two windows
De Gea
Coleman/Subotic/Garay/Shaw
Strootman/Blind
Herrera
Di Maria/Falcao/Ronaldo
With Rojo, Mata, Carrick, RvP and Rooney as back up!​

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't want to see many signings, if any.

A top class CB and another RB to compete with or displace Rafael.

Beyond that most of the improvement we need will take place on the training ground. We need to be patient and give the team a chance to settle more than we need to try and fit someone like Strootman into the team.

I see plenty of people picking Strootman in Blind's role but is he really that sort of player? I know he can play as a number 6 but technically so can Herrera. It doesn't mean it's where either of them are at their best though. It also isn't where LvG used him when he was with the Dutch team (as far as I know).

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If there was a quality centre-half available we'd have signed him in the summer. There's no point spending unless it's a definite improvement on our current options.
That's nonsense. Money talks, except United chose to blow it all largely on attacking players that you didn't need anywhere near as much as you needed to improve on defence and CM.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
That's nonsense. Money talks, except United chose to blow it all largely on attacking players that you didn't need anywhere near as much as you needed to improve on defence and CM.
Okay then, what quality centre-half was available in the summer? Hummels clearly wasn't, and I'm pretty confident we pushed hard for him.

C'est Moi Cantona

Let's go mental and sign Garay, Coleman, Strootman, Subotic and Ronaldo in the next two windows
De Gea
Coleman/Subotic/Garay/Shaw
Strootman/Blind
Herrera
Di Maria/Falcao/Ronaldo
With Rojo, Mata, Carrick, RvP and Rooney as back up!​
Would be nice but we're not a bottomless pit, that would all add up to about £200 million including the Falcao fee.

Would settle for Garay, and Strootman personally, plus Cuadrado, or Reus so we can go 4-3-3, then if we sign Falcao i'd be happy to see one of RvP, Rooney, or Mata go to pay for it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Okay then, what quality centre-half was available in the summer? Hummels clearly wasn't, and I'm pretty confident we pushed hard for him.
Look, you spent £64m on Di Maria + £6m loan fee for Falcao.... and you've committed a vast amount of wages on both.

The notion that you couldn't have signed a top-notch CB (and a top-notch CM) for that amount of money - not to mention the £45m you've spent on Herrera and Blind + effectively £21m for Rojo - simply lack all credibility.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In My opinion Diego Godin would be absolutely ideal for us. We're crying out for someone like him at the heart of our defense.

KiD MoYeS

Look, you spent £64m on Di Maria + £6m loan fee for Falcao.... and you've committed a vast amount of wages on both.

The notion that you couldn't have signed a top-notch CB (and a top-notch CM) for that amount of money - not to mention the £45m you've spent on Herrera and Blind - simply lack all credibility.
My point remains, there were no quality available centre-halves in the summer. I'm confident we'd have spent big on a quality defender had one been available! It was well within our means to spend a hell of a lot more, you do realise this?

thelemon

In reality I just like to design Muppet teams.
Would be nice but we're not a bottomless pit, that would all add up to about £200 million including the Falcao fee.

Would settle for Garay, and Strootman personally, plus Cuadrado, or Reus so we can go 4-3-3, then if we sign Falcao i'd be happy to see one of RvP, Rooney, or Mata go to pay for it.

KiD MoYeS

In My opinion Diego Godin would be absolutely ideal for us. We're crying out for someone like him at the heart of our defense.

Has enjoyed an incredible year, his age and lack of Premier League experience would put me off though. Wouldn't be surprised to see us move for Vlaar in January, I'm serious.

C'est Moi Cantona

Sorry to butt in, but there was Godin, Mangala, Garay, Benatia, who imo we could have easily got, if we'd wanted to take the cheaper option there was Di Vrij, Vlaar, Caulker, or dare I say it Lescott who could have come in, people would have sneered but i'd have them now, even players like Ashley Williams, Shawcross, or Hangleland could have done a better job for us, and given us cover.

KiD MoYeS

Sorry to butt in, but there was Godin, Mangala, Garay, Benatia, who imo we could have easily got, if we'd wanted to take the cheaper option there was Di Vrij, Vlaar, Caulker, or dare I say it Lescott who could have come in, people would have sneered but i'd have them now, even players like Ashley Williams, Shawcross, or Hangleland could have done a better job for us, and given us cover.
Benatia wanted Champions League football anyway so he wasn't an option. As for the others, van Gaal either didn't believe they'd be an improvement on current options, which is definitely the case with some you've mentioned, or they simply didn't fancy the move. We spent massive money this summer, and could have spent a lot more. The reason we didn't bring in a top quality centre-half is because none were available to us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Has enjoyed an incredible year, his age and lack of Premier League experience would put me off though. Wouldn't be surprised to see us move for Vlaar in January, I'm serious.
Godin is a year younger than Vlaar and is absolutely tailor made for EPL football.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
My point remains, there were no quality available centre-halves in the summer. I'm confident we'd have spent big on a quality defender had one been available! It was well within our means to spend a hell of a lot more, you do realise this?
Almost any player suddenly becomes 'available' if huge sums are offered to both club and player: the history of transfer deals shows this. The United management team got their priorities wrong, just as they've been doing for some time now.

There are many, many CBs in the world who are better than Smalling and Evans (for example), so the 'none available' argument doesn't wash. Even Joleon Lescott is better and he was free.

C'est Moi Cantona

Benatia wanted Champions League football anyway so he wasn't an option. As for the others, van Gaal either didn't believe they'd be an improvement on current options, which is definitely the case with some you've mentioned, or they simply didn't fancy the move. We spent massive money this summer, and could have spent a lot more. The reason we didn't bring in a top quality centre-half is because none were available to us.
If we'd of paid them enough we could have got any of them imo, once fit Jones is our best CB by a mile, and he isn't close to been world class yet either, but would rather see him paired with any of the ones I mentioned than what we currently have, Rojo needs to be given the chance I suppose but for me I see him cover for Shaw.

I'm not knocking LvG, all the players signed are good, he just needs another two transfer windows to get everything in place, until then it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

KiD MoYeS

Almost any player suddenly becomes 'available' if huge sums are offered to both club and player: the history of transfer deals shows this. The United management team got their priorities wrong, just as they've been doing for some time now.

There are many, many CBs in the world who are better than Smalling and Evans (for example), so the 'none available' argument doesn't wash. Even Joleon Lescott is better and he was free.
That's a load of shite and you know it.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
That's a load of shite and you know it.
It really isn't. You're going to ship a bucket-load of goals this season ... but I'm sure you'll keep telling yourself that Evans and Smalling are good.

KiD MoYeS

It really isn't. You're going to ship a bucket-load of goals this season ... but I'm sure you'll keep telling yourself that Evans and Smalling are good.
Evans and Smalling are good, doesn't take any smarts to come to that conclusion, just not top quality.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Atleti won't sell anyway.
There were fairly credible rumours that Bayern contacted Atletico, when the negotiations about benatia tanked, becaues they wanted to have alternatives. That was very late in the transfer window. Atletico wouldnt have had any chance to hold on to their players, if United went for them early.
Godin, Garray or Miranda (not really too convinced about him; not really a leader) were very realistic targets. There are furthermore at least 4-5 players, that would have been worth to talk about. e.g. laporte, socratis/subotic I am no full-time scout and if I can come up with a couple of reasonable suggestions, there are at least a couple more options. The idea that, Hummels was the only CB worth perusing is a ridiculous. Everybody knew that he wont leave and there are always options. If you cant identify options your scouts suck.

United was unable/unwilling to act early and once the season started all interesting targets are gone or clubs are unwilling to sell. That was a deliberate decision by van gaal and Ed.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I thought we had spent fairly big on a quality centre back in Rojo???? (thats what Im hoping turns out to be the case anyway)

Jinn

We need someone from EPL. That would be ideal.
Who's good enough and available?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
We need someone from EPL. That would be ideal.
Who's good enough and available?
If you believe the press, Vlaar would seem the obvious candidate.
Stones - Everton must need money for their new stadium
Vertongen - If Spurs are up for sale then surely players must be as well (plus they need cash for their new stadium)
and yes Vlaar who is probably available for a lot less money than the other two plus has of course worked under LVG (though vertongen has Ajax experience so should "understand the philospohy")

I understand why people like PL experience due to the pace and power of the leage but the BL is close in these aspects so there is subutoc / sokrates (Dortmund might sell one of them if not Hummles) potentially Dante now Benaita, Boatang and Badstuber are available at Bayern, and one of my favourite options who if the money is right is surely getable is Rudiger.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
Centre half has to be priority for January. Don't have to be world class just with more experience or simply better than we currently have.

Jerch

We will not sign new players in January transfer window. The only possibility that we sign someone is if more than 2 of our 5 CB's are injured at that time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We will not sign new players in January transfer window. The only possibility that we sign someone is if more than 2 of our 5 CB's are injured at that time.
Why?

Nickosaur

Stones - Everton must need money for their new stadium
Vertongen - If Spurs are up for sale then surely players must be as well (plus they need cash for their new stadium)
and yes Vlaar who is probably available for a lot less money than the other two plus has of course worked under LVG (though vertongen has Ajax experience so should "understand the philospohy")

I understand why people like PL experience due to the pace and power of the leage but the BL is close in these aspects so there is subutoc / sokrates (Dortmund might sell one of them if not Hummles) potentially Dante now Benaita, Boatang and Badstuber are available at Bayern, and one of my favourite options who if the money is right is surely getable is Rudiger.
Stones will be a great defender but is he really much better than what we have now? We need someone with plenty of experience and leadership to come in, regardless of age IMO.

ravi2

Benatia was one of Serie A's best defenders and he was available all summer as was miranda.
If we went in early we could have gotten Garay as well.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Stones will be a great defender but is he really much better than what we have now? We need someone with plenty of experience and leadership to come in, regardless of age IMO.
based on sunday yes he is though I take your point about experience - still if we dont get him whilst he is available we may never be able to get him fron a chelsea / arsenal etc if they take the opportunity - and I certainly dont think he would weaken our defence right now

ravi2

Benatia wanted Champions League football.
He was available all summer for around £35M but no one wanted to pay it.... until Bastuber got injured and Bayern decided to pony up.
We really should have prioritized the money to get him instead of Falcao.

KiD MoYeS

He was available all summer for around £35M but no one wanted to pay it.... until Bastuber got injured and Bayern decided to pony up.
We really should have prioritized the money to get him instead of Falcao.
Benatia wanted Champions League football.

KiD MoYeS

If we seriously bid before Bayern, we would have most likely gotten him.. Champs League or not.
He never wanted to leave Roma, it was only when we was told he'd have to be sold that he entertained the idea. He turned down City, Chelsea, Barcelona and Real Madrid according to him, you really think we'd have had a chance? He wanted Champions League football. He also complained about Munich being cold on signing, but keep telling yourself he was an option.

Kag

Grass is greener piss. Caulker is horrific and will help relegate another team that wasted beans on him. Stoke concede more goals than United and Shawcross plays every week. Williams is poor and would look like a mug at the top level and Hangeland would look like a total embarrassment in a line as high as ours. Di Vrij isn't very good either, and Vlaar has performed abhorrently during his time in the Premier League. Our defenders are better, have had better games against top attackers both domestically and in Europe and have had a multitude of good to great games at the club, of course, all of which can be roundly forgotten after an anomaly of a game against Leicester. The only things that stand in favour of average players such as the ones you mention - and even Garay has yet to fully convince - is their fitness records.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Grass is greener piss. Caulker is horrific and will help relegate another team that wasted beans on him. Stoke concede more goals than United and Shawcross plays every week. Williams is poor and would look like a mug at the top level and Hangeland would look like a total embarrassment in a line as high as ours. Di Vrij isn't very good either, and Vlaar has performed abhorrently during his time in the Premier League. Our defenders are better, have had better games against top attackers both domestically and in Europe and have had a multitude of good to great games at the club, of course, all of which can be roundly forgotten after an anomaly of a game against Leicester. The only things that stand in favour of average players such as the ones you mention - and even Garay has yet to fully convince - is their fitness records.
Anomally? You've conceded 17 goals in 6 competitive matches so far this season, an average of nearly 3 per game ... and all against weak or weak-ish teams. Yet according to you all these alternatives to your current CBs are rubbish, but in truth this is just more of seeing things through the same old red-tinted specs: wildly over-rating United players, whilst denigrating players from other Prem teams.

How many Prem teams would be eager to sign Evans or Smalling? Not many.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Who moves out of your current CB's:

Rojo (obviously not him as he's new)
Smalling?
Jones?
Evans?

There are already four CB's at the club, will Jones move to CM or maybe Smalling out to RB?

If United sign a CB I'm tipping one of the above will be moved on come season's end. Possibly two, depending on how many games they get.
Evans won't be here next year and one of either Jones or Smalling too. I previously got a shoeing on here for saying that Jones is shit and won't be here next season but Smalling looks like he's going to give him a run for his money in the shitness stakes so its a tough one to call. Frankly I'd be quite happy if none of them played for us.