Manchester United - January transfer window 2015 (twitter blacklist applies)

Redo91

He's 19 ffs! He's at least good enough to make some money on.
How much exactly? Michael Keane was a far better player (now and at the same age) and we sold him to Burnley for peanuts. We would hardly get a million quid for him and that's nothing to us.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Agreed, aside from some bad patches he has shown good composure for a young man thrust into the first team. Giving him and Blackett an extension will cost the club peanuts. Why are people so keen to get rid of them so soon?
I assume because they aren't immediately playing to the level of the Rio Vidic partnership. Some very impatient fans.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
How much exactly? Michael Keane was a far better player (now and at the same age) and we sold him to Burnley for peanuts. We would hardly get a million quid for him and that's nothing to us.
I'm not talking about his value at the minute. A center back is unlikely to get near his peak for another 5 years or so, so what's the rush? He's already been offered a contract so clearly LVG and his staff see something in the lad, even if you don't. I'm not saying he'll necessary become world class, but if he becomes at least a decent PL level CB you would expect to be looking around £10m for example.

Redo91

I'm not talking about his value at the minute. A center back is unlikely to get near his peak for another 5 years or so, so what's the rush? He's already been offered a contract so clearly LVG and his staff see something in the lad, even if you don't. I'm not saying he'll necessary become world class, but if he becomes at least a decent PL level CB you would expect to be looking around £10m for example.
I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that will happen. I know players can develop at different rates but I really don't see it in him. His main problem in the long run will be getting game time with us. The only reason him and Blackett got in the team to begin with was injuries. We are likely to bring in another 2 CB's in the next 6 months so his chances will be even more limited still. He won't develop into a decent PL level CB (not that I think he will in any case) if he is playing for our under 21's or sat on the bench.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that will happen. I know players can develop at different rates but I really don't see it in him. His main problem in the long run will be getting game time with us. The only reason him and Blackett got in the team to begin with was injuries. We are likely to bring in another 2 CB's in the next 6 months so his chances will be even more limited still. He won't develop into a decent PL level CB (not that I think he will in any case) if he is playing for our under 21's or sat on the bench.
I don't want to derail this thread any further as I'm sure I won't convince you otherwise. What I will say though is McNair's average rating on the caf is 5.9. That is compared to Rojo at 6.1, Jones 5.9, Evans 4.7 and Smalling 5.6.

My point being I'm not the only one who thinks he could have a future. I'm also surprised you're so negative about him, as he's had some solid games for us this season. A few very shaky ones too, but that's to be expected from a 19 yo.

Redo91

I don't want to derail this thread any further as I'm sure I won't convince you otherwise. What I will say though is McNair's average rating on the caf is 5.9. That is compared to Rojo at 6.1, Jones 5.9, Evans 4.7 and Smalling 5.6.

My point being I'm not the only one who thinks he could have a future. I'm also surprised you're so negative about him, as he's had some solid games for us this season. A few very shaky ones too, but that's to be expected from a 19 yo.
And how many games has he played compared to the others? Of the others only Rojo is United quality (maybe Jones as cover) and he has a higher average rating than McNair.

Anyhow like you say no point in taking the thread off topic and you're right that you won't be changing my mind about McNair. Not good enough for us and never will be.

Kounan

And how many games has he played compared to the others? Of the others only Rojo is United quality (maybe Jones as cover) and he has a higher average rating than McNair.

Anyhow like you say no point in taking the thread off topic and you're right that you won't be changing my mind about McNair. Not good enough for us and never will be.
Rojo is, but Smalling isn't? Are we watching the same games?

Devil may care

Me too, particularly Cavani. But if rvp goes and we dont sign Falcao then we need another striker, my knowledge of strikers at the mo is pretty poor, cant think of anyone good enough and may be availablr. Csvani is a big name and unhappy at psg.

looking at my list again i can't see us getting 3cbs even if we do get rid of jones or evans.

Here's a curveball i can see happening, mata and herera being sold. Probably replaced by two midfielders suited for a 433 ( not saying herera isn't suited for 433 but definately mata)
Well if we are watching the French league hopefully our scouts have noticed Lacazette, and we have been linked with Dybala who I also find preferable to Cavani.

Yeah, I think Hummels, Rojo, Smalling and 1 more will make up our CB quartet next season.

It wouldn't surprise me that much if that happened, I might be wrong but it just feels like LvG doesn't rate Herrera and I think power and speed will be dominant factors when looking at restructuring our attack and Mata has none of either.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Writing off a 19 year old centre half, this place! feck me
Under normal circumstances, no, but he's out of contract and it's looking unlikely he will sign another, so yes, I think it's very, very unlikely he will make it here and highly likely next season both Blackett and McNari will both be gone.

No room in the first team. Taunzebe, Fosu Mensah and CBJ all taking their spots in the U21s. A loan would be the only option and who does that benefit when the likely hood is that they will both be moved on anyway in a year or two?

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Here's a curveball i can see happening, mata and herera being sold. Probably replaced by two midfielders suited for a 433 ( not saying herera isn't suited for 433 but definately mata)
Christ, that is mental. Mata, maybe. Herrera? We only just bought the guy in the summer. No way he's leaving, especially with that court thing he has coming up, what club would pay us enough to compensate for the fact that we overpaid in the first place? Never going to be sold.

Edit: Even if Van Gaal doesn't rate him at all, he still isn't going to be sold for another year at least. He bought himself out of contract at Bilbao in order to come here, he's going to fight for his place in the squad.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Christ, that is mental. Mata, maybe. Herrera? We only just bought the guy in the summer. No way he's leaving, especially with that court thing he has coming up, what club would pay us enough to compensate for the fact that we overpaid in the first place? Never going to be sold.

Edit: Even if Van Gaal doesn't rate him at all, he still isn't going to be sold for another year at least. He bought himself out of contract at Bilbao in order to come here, he's going to fight for his place in the squad.
I think he's definitely leaving this Summer if van Gaal is still thereabouts (Herrera). As for Mata it could go either way, I think he'll leave too but he might stay. No chance for antoher season at United for Herrera IMO even if he wants to stay. The best he can do is a loan back to Spain.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
We've all been a bit quilty of that just lately in all fairness. Poor football drove me to it!
We should introduce a blanket ban on anyone showing unreasonable levels of impatience. Why duvet need to write players off so quickly? Can't these fans see that players only get bedder with age and experience. So what if McNair has been a bit pillow his best recent? He could have a stormer in his next match and suddenly he'll be playing with a spring in his step. With all the criticism he's been getting recently, he can't be getting much sleep at night, not that that mattress to some of these overly-critical sheets.

GBBQ

We should introduce a blanket ban on anyone showing unreasonable levels of impatience. Why duvet need to write players off so quickly? Can't these fans see that players only get bedder with age and experience. So what if McNair has been a bit pillow his best recent? He could have a stormer in his next match and suddenly he'll be playing with a spring in his step. With all the criticism he's been getting recently, he can't be getting much sleep at night, not that that mattress to some of these overly-critical sheets.
Some people have such a short memory-foam. They're already forgetting the clean sheets we've had with him in defence. He's had strikers in his back pocket - sprung the offfisde trap on many occasions. perhaps he needs a good dressing gown from his manager.

Give him time to bed in.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Some people have such a short memory-foam. They're already forgetting the clean sheets we've had with him in defence. He's had strikers in his back pocket - sprung the offfisde trap on many occasions. perhaps he needs a good dressing gown from his manager.

Give him time to bed in.
You cot that right. Although he needs to learn when he ought to stand off from his striker and when he ottoman mark.

Bwuk

McNair could be very good one day.

Not so fussy about Blackett. Don't rate him as highly.

Kounan

Smalling cant stay fit. Staying fit is a quality too.
Wasn't Rojo injured twice this season?

He can't be above Smalling from what we have seen this season, as Smalling is a better defender (for now at least and Rojo also gets injured).

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wasn't Rojo injured twice this season?

He can't be above Smalling from what we have seen this season, as Smalling is a better defender (for now at least and Rojo also gets injured).
One of those injuries was a dislocated shoulder, I think people are more worried about the constant niggling injuries the rest of the defence pick up, muscle injuries.

Kounan

One of those injuries was a dislocated shoulder, I think people are more worried about the constant niggling injuries the rest of the defence pick up, muscle injuries.
Yeah, but don't our players get head injuries, then get sick (that was a case with Smalling few season ago) and things like this (also some non "normal" injuries). Jones often injures himself, mostly stupid injuries, so I would wait with Rojo and see how he is in that department as he also managed to get a stupid injury very soon after he came to us :D.

Redo91

Rojo is, but Smalling isn't? Are we watching the same games?
Yes. Not sure if you've ever heard of them but there are these things in football called "opinions". Basically peoples views on a player can vary from person to person even if they've watched the same games of said player. I'm not a fan of Smalling and you are. I don't see what's so shocking about that.

Kounan

Yes. Not sure if you've ever heard of them but there are these things in football called "opinions". Basically peoples views on a player can vary from person to person even if they've watched the same games of said player. I'm not a fan of Smalling and you are. I don't see what's so shocking about that.
But Smalling is clearly our best defender this season. I do understand opinions, that's why I didn't say Rojo isn't good enough, or he can't make it, or something simmilar, but I don't think it's even up for a debate that Smallingis our best defender right now?

Brophs

The One and Only
I'd love for us to buy a top player or two but ideally I'd like to see LVG get more from and improve the players he already has. If that happens we'll comforfably finish in the top 4 anyway.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I'd love for us to buy a top player or two but ideally I'd like to see LVG get more from and improve the players he already has. If that happens we'll comforfably finish in the top 4 anyway.
He just has to forget the 3-5-2, playing Rooney and co in their best positions and you'll get more from our players

Getsme

But Smalling is clearly our best defender this season. I do understand opinions, that's why I didn't say Rojo isn't good enough, or he can't make it, or something simmilar, but I don't think it's even up for a debate that Smallingis our best defender right now?
Many would argue otherwise.

Getsme

Who was better than Smalling?
Only because we all love arguing, not because we actually believe there has been anyone really better!
Jones and Rojo have both played well at times this season, as has Smalling. However, each and everyone of them have made horrendous unforced errors,

Smalling has had the advantage of mainly playing in the centre of a back 3 but still looks uncomfortable. For me none of them have stood out so far this season and none of them have been clearly better than any other.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Under normal circumstances, no, but he's out of contract and it's looking unlikely he will sign another, so yes, I think it's very, very unlikely he will make it here and highly likely next season both Blackett and McNari will both be gone.

No room in the first team. Taunzebe, Fosu Mensah and CBJ all taking their spots in the U21s. A loan would be the only option and who does that benefit when the likely hood is that they will both be moved on anyway in a year or two?
I'm in no way questioning the decision to move him on if that's what he do, but I am questioning the posters saying he's been terrible or that he would never make it here.

red_7

So MEN thinks

The players Man Utd would sign this month - if they could

are Bale, Hummels, Pogba and Strootman?!

Well, that's a team to fear then ;-)

De Gea
Rafa-Hummels-Rojo-Shaw
Pogba-Strootman
Bale-Mata-di Maria
Rooney

Don't think we are signing anyone this January but any of them in Summer would be nice.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
So MEN thinks

De Gea
Rafa-Hummels-Rojo-Shaw
Pogba-Strootman
Bale-Mata-di Maria
Rooney

Don't think we are signing anyone this January but any of them in Summer would be nice.
Literally, what a shit paper.

Devil may care

Pogba and Hummels would be enough, then get Depay and Schneiderlin for the same price combined as Roma would bend us over for with Strootman.

Stadjer

Strootmans knee is fecked
Nah, his current injury isn't a bad one. He just has to take a few weeks rest. That is expected after a serious injury but it doesnt seem to be effecting him in the long term. Also because he needs a few weeks of rest he is going to have some scar tissue removed this week but thats a minor surgery which doesnt even prolong the period he needs to rest.

RedSRM

So MEN thinks

De Gea
Rafa-Hummels-Rojo-Shaw
Pogba-Strootman
Bale-Mata-di Maria
Rooney

Can't believe how much transfer muppetry that paper comes out with. Ultimate clickbait whores.