Manchester United Kits 2018/2019

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
so we did play in green and gold, just not green and gold halved? Mainly a green shirt with a a gold trim?
Yeah apparently United just made the whole thing up to sell a load of Norwich shirts with our badge on back in the early nineties.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
You know that is my own website, right? I collaborated with a couple of other people on it, one of whom believes that they wore green and gold halves before wearing red and white, despite a complete lack of evidence for it. If you read all of it, you'll see the first contemporary mention of the club's colours said they were wearing red and white.

To me, this makes more sense as a choice of colours - to represent both the red rose of Lancashire and the white rose of Yorkshire - than green and gold, which had no meaning to the railway.
Why’ve you put it as green and gold halves on your own website if you don’t believe that was the kit, then?

Anyway does it matter? A whole page of arguing over a kit from over 100 years ago.

stevoc

Black shorts and red socks sure why not.

Won't be long before someone at Adidas asks ''Does the shirt have to be red?''

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
UGLY UGLY IGLY Jesus what was adidas thinking ??

MrPooni

Appreciate the info @decorativeed – I wasn't aware of any of what you're describing until you brought it up and it makes a lot of sense despite what some people in this thread are saying.

Colombian Mancunian

I’m planning on buying the third kit, but the player issued instead of replica.

I’m 1.8 M tall, weight 72 KGs, and on clima cool replica shirts I always buy S which fit me like a glove. I know Adizero’s got a thigher fit; should I order M? I like my shirts to feel like a second skin, even more when they are sports jerseys or gym clothing.

MrPooni

I’m 1.8 M tall, weight 72 KGs, and on clima cool replica shirts I always buy S which fit me like a glove. I know Adizero’s got a thigher fit; should I order M? I like my shirts to feel like a second skin, even more when they are sports jerseys or gym clothing.
Yeah, they usually recommend ordering a size up for the player issued kits.

bonusroller

On the 3rd kit you may want to have a read of this first.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2018...hird-kit-features-replica-kit-technology.html

I ordered both from adidas to check and returned them.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
The shirt on its own is a little bit odd with the stripes, but as a full kit it looks very good.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Yeah, like many others in here I also wasn’t impressed when images of the new Home kit leaked, but I think it looks good on the players.

Decent effort overall, I think it will grow on a lot of you throughout the season.

decorativeed

so we did play in green and gold, just not green and gold halved? Mainly a green shirt with a a gold trim?
Yes, that's what we have actual evidence for from the time.

Cheers @decorativeed

I visit your site most weeks when discussing kits and need to find info.
Thanks, a lot of people seem to find it useful.

Yeah apparently United just made the whole thing up to sell a load of Norwich shirts with our badge on back in the early nineties.
No, that was just Umbro misinterpreting that 1892 photo, the same as Percy M Young did in his history of United book published around 1960. It was the first (unofficial) book covering the history of the club and many of the books that followed it simply copied what he wrote.

Why’ve you put it as green and gold halves on your own website if you don’t believe that was the kit, then?

Anyway does it matter? A whole page of arguing over a kit from over 100 years ago.
Well it wasn't supposed to be an argument, but I like it when people consider that not everything they think they know about kits is true. Had similar on here once with someone insisting United only started to wear black socks after the Munich air disaster as a tribute to those who died, which is another popular myth.

There is an explanation for why the green and gold halves appear on the website in the text at the side, but the fact is that the other person who started it with me believes the green and gold story (based on stories written years after the fact), while I don't, based on a complete lack of contemporary evidence for it, despite years of looking for it, with many people trawling through every mention of Newton Heath in old newspapers held in libraries etc.

Appreciate the info @decorativeed – I wasn't aware of any of what you're describing until you brought it up and it makes a lot of sense despite what some people in this thread are saying.
Thanks, I think so too, but I get why others don't, as we've all grown up with this story of green and gold and the half and half shirts.

jymufc20

Yes, that's what we have actual evidence for from the time.

Thanks, a lot of people seem to find it useful.

No, that was just Umbro misinterpreting that 1892 photo, the same as Percy M Young did in his history of United book published around 1960. It was the first (unofficial) book covering the history of the club and many of the books that followed it simply copied what he wrote.

Well it wasn't supposed to be an argument, but I like it when people consider that not everything they think they know about kits is true. Had similar on here once with someone insisting United only started to wear black socks after the Munich air disaster as a tribute to those who died, which is another popular myth.

There is an explanation for why the green and gold halves appear on the website in the text at the side, but the fact is that the other person who started it with me believes the green and gold story (based on stories written years after the fact), while I don't, based on a complete lack of contemporary evidence for it, despite years of looking for it, with many people trawling through every mention of Newton Heath in old newspapers held in libraries etc.

Thanks, I think so too, but I get why others don't, as we've all grown up with this story of green and gold and the half and half shirts.
You come up with a fair argument and seem to have put a lot of time into your research.

I just don't see what the club gains from going along with it. Even Adidas uses images of green and gold halved shirts to market our new kits.

Nick7

You come up with a fair argument and seem to have put a lot of time into your research.

I just don't see what the club gains from going along with it. Even Adidas uses images of green and gold halved shirts to market our new kits.
I have no idea either way, but the green and gold halves are ingrained in people's thoughts about the clubs history. Whether it's true or not.

decorativeed

I've not seen this, have you got a photo/link?

As for the club 'going along with it', how do you mean, exactly? It's not like they come out with stories about the history of the club all the time, and when they do publish anything new, it's fact-checked by the United museum's curators, who all agree that there's no evidence for it. It's even stated in the museum's displays now, if you have chance to visit the newly redone kits exhibit.

TheReligion

Abusive
Very interesting about the kits history however green and gold halves is in our history now as we wore it early 90s.

Would love to see another kit like this.

jymufc20

I've not seen this, have you got a photo/link?

As for the club 'going along with it', how do you mean, exactly? It's not like they come out with stories about the history of the club all the time, and when they do publish anything new, it's fact-checked by the United museum's curators, who all agree that there's no evidence for it. It's even stated in the museum's displays now, if you have chance to visit the newly redone kits exhibit.
I haven't been on a tour in years and what i mean by going along with it is by letting the lies of umbro back in the day to use green and gold halves for marketing.

The adidas marketing i referenced was the new kit video with Mata in it and after looking back at it the pictures are in black and white.
I had it in my head that they was in colour.

I was also thinking of the marketing behind the 16/17 half and half shirt but i can't find any promotional videos for that.

decorativeed

I haven't been on a tour in years and what i mean by going along with it is by letting the lies of umbro back in the day to use green and gold halves for marketing.

The adidas marketing i referenced was the new kit video with Mata in it and after looking back at it the pictures are in black and white.
I had it in my head that they was in colour.

I was also thinking of the marketing behind the 16/17 half and half shirt but i can't find any promotional videos for that.
The Umbro thing was an honest mistake, based on a common misunderstanding that most people believed to be right. They weren't outright lying to people. Yes, the club wore halved shirts, as evidenced by the photos. The colours were at one point green and gold. Putting the two together seemed logical, even though it wasn't correct.

Also, it was an away kit, so doing that design in the actual colours the club wore 100 years earlier in that photo - red and white - wouldn't have worked.

jymufc20

The Umbro thing was an honest mistake, based on a common misunderstanding that most people believed to be right. They weren't outright lying to people. Yes, the club wore halved shirts, as evidenced by the photos. The colours were at one point green and gold. Putting the two together seemed logical, even though it wasn't correct.

Also, it was an away kit, so doing that design in the actual colours the club wore 100 years earlier in that photo - red and white - wouldn't have worked.
Yeah it does all make sense, it's just hard to grasp for me as i have always thought of our original colours as green and gold.

Sterling Archer

Sure, you can always wear black pants of some kind but that makes the kit less versatile overall.
To be fair, it's designed to be worn with the black shorts and socks for matches. I don't think any of the designers were worried about wearing it with blue jeans and sneakers to the mall to help your girlfriend look for baby shower gifts*.

*my current status :)

klsv

Wonder if Adidas will ever actually start doing official kits with trefoil. Adidas Originals seem to be a pretty big line right now, not just for retro stuff.

meamth

To be fair, it's designed to be worn with the black shorts and socks for matches. I don't think any of the designers were worried about wearing it with blue jeans and sneakers to the mall to help your girlfriend look for baby shower gifts*.

Yep, the only good reason for you to wear a football kit is if you play 5 a side a lot or go to watch a United match outside with your friends.

Nick7

More simpler design than that. This reminds me of 06/07 and to an extent the kit we wore in 50th Munich anniversary vs City.

A 15/16 with Trefoil would have been better as well.
06/07 was far busier than That FCoM or out 15/16 jersey though.

PeteManic

Is the price reduced on the official site? I'm quite tempted to get this shirt and I'm not sure why...

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

I would imagine it's actually the exact opposite.

Players wear the kit no matter what. They need the fan base to fork out their hard earned for it.

jymufc20

Anybody else liking the look of that orange keepers kit. I only saw it for a few seconds at a time on a bad stream on my phone but it looked good.

Kearnkoff69

Blue kit looked good on the pitch. Still looks like it's got a weird shiny texture to it, but the blue and gold look class. I will be waiting to see the pink kit before deciding, but am almost certainly going to nab one of the blue ones with cup printing this year, after passing on all the kits last year and the year before.

Sterling Archer

Blue kit looked good on the pitch. Still looks like it's got a weird shiny texture to it, but the blue and gold look class. I will be waiting to see the pink kit before deciding, but am almost certainly going to nab one of the blue ones with cup printing this year, after passing on all the kits last year and the year before.
Blue looked phenomenal. Planning the same thing - gonna choose between that and the pink

Dudu

By far our best kit for the upcoming season. What a beaut. :drool: