Manchester United Legends vs Bayern Munich Legends

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Beckham is easily the most underrated United player of all time. Fair enough he was in a team of superstars but he was a true professional and a complete footballer.
He was also pretty much the star of that team of superstars. The way he picked up fame after because of his looks and everything else gives so many a misguided view on him as a player.

BlueHaze

I highly enjoyed watching this game. Seeing the likes of Stam and Beckham back at Old Trafford sent chills down my spine. Staam is up there on my top 10 united players of all time.

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Holy crap.
We have a RW, wearing a MUFC shirt, who can cross and deliver the ball to our strikers! Haven't seen that in a long long time.
Have I gone to an alternative reality? Or just gone back 20-odd years.

Such a shame that we have to reminisce about old players, because our current set of players suck. We probably need to remove about 8 out of 11 players from our starting XI.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It is crazy to me that retired players seem to still have more skills than our current pros.
Put any of our usual suspects on that right wing, in the same match and they wouldn't deliver the same balls Beckham did

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Teddy Sheringham!! Im ashamed to say Id forgoten about him! what a legend.
Brown mr.Orange wow how time flies
Jaap Stam wow still taking it seriously our defenders should look and learn
Beckham you legend that poor bald defender he dribbled that fell :lol:
York still got sooo much talent

oh the memories.. makes me so sad..

And Lingard Rashford with those stupid glasses and crappy suits what a joke

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Seriously this team would absolutely destroy our current team.

Blackwidow

Yep, they played to the script perfectly.

Their lot certainly seem to have aged less gracefully than ours!
I guess spending Saturday evening in the stands in Berlin and later on at the party location - where the players arrived at about one o'clock - did not help that either. And then guys like Alex Zickler - who often carries the legends because he still is sooo fast (he is assistant coach for RB Salzburg and the coaching team had their last match for Salzburg that weekend before they will transfer to Gladbach) - and Lizarazu - were missing.

The Bayern legends team is usually a good age mix - someone like Klose is part of it, too - but his U17 team won the south-german championship this weekend.

Marcelinho87

Took my son today, his first ever OT experience and he loved it.

I enjoyed it too but couldn't help but feel sad watching these guys run riot on the pitch.

Patrick08

It is crazy to me that retired players seem to still have more skills than our current pros.
Put any of our usual suspects on that right wing, in the same match and they wouldn't deliver the same balls Beckham did
True, the timing of the runs, finishing supporting runs absolute class.current bunch just don't have the vision.

JEredDevil

Great match overall for us. Sent shivers down seeing these legends on the field together. Although it was just a friendly match, I actually enjoyed watching this meaningless match more than the current team in the past few months. Definitely, feels good to watch SAF lead the team out and in the dug out once again. I would have settled for a high-scoring draw, but no, it seems like these players wanted to prove a point to the current team.

The Good
1. Gary and his overlapping runs down the right wing.
2. Stam. This guy is still a rock, gutted that his United career was short but the way he sent someone flying and also sent 3 players to the ground without him even flinching or smiling.
3. Ronny shaking off a tackle like a man
4. Scholesly lunging into tackles as though he never left.
5. Becks with his trademark crosses. Really wanted him to score with that freekick, but still that last minute goal was pretty sick. Reminds me of a certain Messi vs Boateng.
6. Ole coming on as a sub, and scoring with his first touch

The disappointments
1. We should have a kit with collars for Yorkie.
2. Scholes not scoring from his thunderbolts.
3. Giggs/Keano not playing
4. SAF not coming off his seat and pointing to his watch while having a go at the officials.
4. I know it was a charity match and the spotlight shouldnt be on the players but imagine the reception these players would get if we had individual medals presented to them for their service at the end of the game.

We should do it again next season but this time lets bring on the Invincibles and settle the rivalry once and for all.

PS: Is there not a player rating section for this match? :lol:

Last edited:

Pagh Wraith

I assume all the comments about players from the 99 side walking into the current United team are tongue-in-cheek? Huddersfield would run rings around them. In fact any League Two side would.

Fluctuation0161

Great to see the old legends.

But, can't help but think the United PR and marketing team love to have us living off past glories from 20 years ago. While the current owners make it impossible to recreate. You could call me cynical...

Glideman

Great to see the old legends.

But, can't help but think the United PR and marketing team love to have us living off past glories from 20 years ago. While the current owners make it impossible to recreate. You could call me cynical...
Have a day off, it was a charity game for a good cause

Adamsk7

I assume all the comments about players from the 99 side walking into the current United team are tongue-in-cheek? Huddersfield would run rings around them. In fact any League Two side would.
Mostly but in the case of Beckham, no. Even if he just stayed on the right side of midfield, pinged balls in to the box and took all of our free kicks and corners, he’d still be waaaaaaaaaaay more useful than anyone we have in our side.

JEredDevil

You're right, they probably would but only because of the difference in fitness levels. This was the best performance in the last 2-3 months from a United team, which is pretty sad in reality. I guess we were all just heartened to see actual players who played with their hearts instead of the current crop of players and it certainly did brought the smiles back to our faces.

redzer

The saddest thing for me from yesterday is Scholes showed more drive and bite in a charity game then we've seen from any of our current bunch all season.

Beckham was sensational and he might not cover as much ground, but I can safely say I believe he would be far more effective over a season then Young.

Put Stam in next to Smalling and Jones for a few games.. I can't remember the last time either of that pair clattered anyone the way Stam did yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jammiedodger

Thats exactly what i was thinking watching this video. I saw more talent from Beckham and Sherringham in that 5 minute clip than i have from United all season.

Shjt I miss the old days. Even Dwight York doing back heels made me realise how crap we are now.

And seeing Fergie in the dugout makes me realise how much Ive missed him since he retired.

Can we not sign Beckham back up for 1 more season??

Last edited by a moderator:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Beckham still looks fit, physically. Also lookswise.

Lingard only wishes he was half as talented and half as marketable.

I saw more drive from those old guys than I did from our players Vs Huddersfield and Cardiff.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yesterday was fantastic, and the Treble players did us proud (as usual). However, it feels like there's such a rush to negatively compare today's United with the '99 heroes that important things are being glossed over: for instance, a) this was a match free of pressure, and b) David had all the time & space in the world to pass and cross. Today's United players rarely enjoy such luxuries.

red4ever 79

Yesterday was fantastic, and the Treble players did us proud (as usual). However, it feels like there's such a rush to negatively compare today's United with the '99 heroes that important things are being glossed over: for instance, a) this was a match free of pressure, and b) David had all the time & space in the world to pass and cross. Today's United players rarely enjoy such luxuries.
Fanbase has turned this season that's for sure. Patience has gone and whatever possibility there is to criticize the current squad people will take it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Maybe Steve, but there is no excuse for our players to not even be able to put a corner in.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Maybe Steve, but there is no excuse for our players to not even be able to put a corner in.
That's true. However, again I question our coaching staff. Don't they see this and instruct the players to work at it? Do they not drill them over and over again? Surely if they worked on this it would be slightly better?
It just puzzles you wondering what everyone is doing there, back room staff and players.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
That's true. However, again I question our coaching staff. Don't they see this and instruct the players to work at it? Do they not drill them over and over again? Surely if they worked on this it would be slightly better?
It just puzzles you wondering what everyone is doing there, back room staff and players.
Even in SAF's time, there was a culture of 'let the players sort themselves out' rather than pressuring them to work and improve. The fact that Cantona apparently caused a training revolution by actually staying behind to practise says it all.

Jazz

Even in SAF's time, there was a culture of 'let the players sort themselves out' rather than pressuring them to work and improve. The fact that Cantona apparently caused a training revolution by actually staying behind to practise says it all.
Well we aren't in those times anymore - I hope Ole realises this? We need a system and proper coaching. I can't believe no one at the club is not seeing that this is a big part of our issue. Forget transfers etc, we are a poorly coached team. Buying more players isn't going to change that.
It's a shame about LVG as his idea of telling the players what they should or shouldn't do works for me with this lot as they haven't got a brain in their heads to think for themselves.
And even if you are an intelligent player, you still need a good system and good coaching to keep up a certain standard.
I could live with everything else if the club would only get this right. Imho it's a big big problem.

BigRon1985

Sheringham looked as fit as a butchers dog! Him, Stam and Beckham could walk into our current team and still cut it! :)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I can't believe I forgot to watch... meanwhile: Ole there's a right winger you should sign...

Jazz

What's Jaap up to these days? I wonder if he fancies coming in to coach our defense?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well we aren't in those times anymore - I hope Ole realises this? We need a system and proper coaching. I can't believe no one at the club is not seeing that this is a big part of our issue. Forget transfers etc, we are a poorly coached team. Buying more players isn't going to change that.
It's a shame about LVG as his idea of telling the players what they should or shouldn't do works for me with this lot as they haven't got a brain in their heads to think for themselves.
And even if you are an intelligent player, you still need a good system and good coaching to keep up a certain standard.
I could live with everything else if the club would only get this right. Imho it's a big big problem.
Maybe it also says something about these players, that they are self-satisfied and are not motivated to be better. They are well rewarded so do not necessarily see improving their set pieces or corners or passing as needed.

Jazz

Maybe it also says something about these players, that they are self-satisfied and are not motivated to be better. They are well rewarded so do not necessarily see improving their set pieces or corners or passing as needed.
That's true as well. Imagine going out every week doing shite like that? I would be so embarrassed. Wouldn't stop until I got that right in training.

Ah well.

Bobski

Funny as well, considering how many talk about how much the game has moved on. These guys(including the absent Keane and Giggs) dominated football for 15 years playing against a wide generation of players, guys who started in the 70's to players who are still playing now. Physically maybe the game has improved, and because of money top club sides have deeper squads than ever but in technique and skill? Not so much for me.

Bias due to my age but for me that decade between 95-2005 is the best the game has been, so many outstanding players, different styles, and not driven by stats.

Becks was fantastic, he must still play at some informal level, hidden 8 aside regular on a Tuesday night like the rest of us.