Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Not sure of it is true or not but some news is saying that United confused the Trippier contract issue at Athletico. United thought it was one year left while in reality it is two years. If this is true then it is incompetency of the highest order.
Well they are hardly going to see his actual contract so I guess they talked to his agent and were either told wrong or picked it up wrong

laughtersassassin

Will probably take two summers to gauge them if we have a good summer this one.

Reason why is every second or third year we have a good summer but it's been a long long time since we have had two top summers in a row.

Can't repeat last year.

Interestingly though no early singings or signings before the window like some other clubs have a habit of doing

Crimson King

Not sure of it is true or not but some news is saying that United confused the Trippier contract issue at Athletico. United thought it was one year left while in reality it is two years. If this is true then it is incompetency of the highest order.
I imagine this sort of thing happens all the time behind the scenes, it just only gets reported when it's Utd because then it's actually considered 'news'.

Foxbatt

You simply don't put in a bid on hearsay. It's ridiculous. Even if they talked to the agent it should have been minuted.

Foxbatt

Well if the agent told them incorrect it will still be minutes incorrect won’t it
You simply don't deal in multi millions business even by word of mouth. It's either in writing or minuted and signed. Yes it could be the agent told them it's one year but anyone who has done any business would know that you simply don't deal in a multi million business just on that.

Skills

Snitch
You simply don't deal in multi millions business even by word of mouth. It's either in writing or minuted and signed. Yes it could be the agent told them it's one year but anyone who has done any business would know that you simply don't deal in a multi million business just on that.
Football isn't the most professional of businesses. The type of people involved in positions of power in football, wouldn't get anywhere near that sort of position in any other industry.

Football isn't the most professional of businesses. The type of people involved in positions of power in football, wouldn't get anywhere near that sort of position in any other industry.
indeed. Half of football clubs are run on the back of a fag packet.

this isn't football manager where you know all the details.

even if true, it isn’t news

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
From what I can gather at most clubs it’s calls and video conferences and our favourite - the fax machine. Any documentaries I’ve seen about football clubs and transfers, it looks fairly loose, especially given the amounts of money changing hands.

Skills

Snitch
From what I can gather at most clubs it’s calls and video conferences and our favourite - the fax machine. Any documentaries I’ve seen about football clubs and transfers, it looks fairly loose, especially given the amounts of money changing hands.
Exactly. Funnily the impression I got about the complaints about Woodward early on, was that he was almost a bit too business like/professional in the way he interacted and approached the other supremos - which weirded they didn't like.

You almost have to dumb yourself down knowing who you're working with most of the time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Exactly. Funnily the impression I got about the complaints about Woodward early on, was that he was almost a bit too business like/professional in the way he interacted and approached the other supremos - which weirded they didn't like.

You almost have to dumb yourself down knowing who you're working with most of the time.
Exactly. If deals were always this supposed mammoth slog then how do deals get hijacked at the 11th hour on deadline day. It’s an insular industry where personal/business relationships and obviously clubs money and players agents are the main drivers. Even Atalanta were saying something about the way we do business last summer. It was respectful but they acknowledged that we are giant club and have to act accordingly or something along those lines…. I’d say it’s all the negotiating we seem to go in for, lots of add ons, percentages of future sale, image rights? It’s hard to know what we are at half the time :)

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
You’re naive if you think what you’ve written is true. It’s how it should be. But it’s miles from accurate.

cruseofried

Murtaugh and Fletcher, internal promotions and definitely yes men. How can Fletcher be a technical director at Man Utd. The mind boggles, talk about jobs for the boys. I also think that we are about to blow a large sack of cash on Sancho which I think is doomed to failure but who knows, I could easily be wrong on both counts.

Abraxas

Murtaugh and Fletcher, internal promotions and definitely yes men. How can Fletcher be a technical director at Man Utd. The mind boggles, talk about jobs for the boys. I also think that we are about to blow a large sack of cash on Sancho which I think is doomed to failure but who knows, I could easily be wrong on both counts.
It's undoubtedly a strength to have individuals that are passionate about the club and have some understanding. Bayern have used this well. They're not employed by virtue of being ex players alone, but rather that they are a good candidate and the club connection offers a compelling reason.

I don't see why he can't be an excellent candidate. For a start, acting between the footballing side and the ownership is a lot to do with diplomacy and getting a message across. It may be fair to say our owners lack some knowledge and having a native English speaker and good communicator is important. We were linked with some interesting names from abroad but this may have been an important point.

It's not as if Darren Fletcher will be plucking names out of a hat and therefore needs to be the best scout we have, there are dozens of scouts that bring the recommendations that are always going to be more experienced at judging players as that's their sole job. It's true he will set overall strategy but I think it's fair minded to give him a chance to demonstrate the capability he must have shown as part of the recruitment process.

noelyman

For a start, acting between the footballing side and the ownership is a lot to do with diplomacy and getting a message across. It may be fair to say our owners lack some knowledge and having a native English speaker and good communicator is important.
He speaks Scottish! :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Getting Sancho over the line would be an impressive start for the new backroom team.
The Sancho deal had been dragged for over a year just as the Maguire one. That's certainly not good enough and reflects the sluggish and incompetent United we've seen during the past 7 years.

Last edited:

devilish

Wait till the transfer is actually confirmed before giving them credit.
Should we give credit to a club/setup that needs 12 months to conclude a big transfer name deal? We dragged it for so long that even the top red youtube fan channels are now embarrassed discussing Sancho

We're in the end of June, we haven't sold any of our deadwood and we've yet to make a transfer. Meanwhile we're handling contract extensions to former players like Mata and Grant which is in line to what the club did with Bailly and Jones. From my POV nothing seemed to have changed.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

PR-ocess at its finest I see. Ain’t nothing impressive about signing someone who was agreed last season and still indecisive of who needs to leave.

Do they think we are idiots.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
PR-ocess at its finest I see. Ain’t nothing impressive about signing someone who was agreed last season and still indecisive of who needs to leave.

Do they think we are idiots.
Do bears shit in the Chris Woods

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Should we give credit to a club/setup that needs 12 months to conclude a big transfer name deal? We dragged it for so long that even the top red youtube fan channels are now embarrassed discussing Sancho

We're in the end of June, we haven't sold any of our deadwood and we've yet to make a transfer. Meanwhile we're handling contract extensions to former players like Mata and Grant which is in line to what the club did with Bailly and Jones. From my POV nothing seemed to have changed.
Srsly top red YouTube channels are embarrassed, who gives a feck about them, the state of modern football fans.

Who have any of our competitors moved on or bought to bolster their squad ?

- Spurs are on their 9th managerial candidate,
- City despite a deal for Kane agreed yesterday was quickly retracted and changed to will make serious bid AFTER the Euro's (wash rinse repeat Grealish), Lost more good young talent because they can't be guaranteed game time like Eric Garcia.
- Liverpool. Worst kept secret in football, Agreed deal for Konate in March / April, Announced in May June, officially unveiled in July not lost of any their deadwood yet
- Arsenal. Arsenal doing Arsenal things
- Chelsea. Any incomings or outgoings ?

As was said in the Sacho thread, if we get Sancho, Amad and Pellestri for the same price as last years Sancho it is good business. Criticised for not getting the good young talent early enough, criticised when we get our pants pulled down, criticised if we dont spunk a load of cash with the 'just pay it' mentality.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It required €120m to sign Sancho last season and that was never gonna happen, especially in a pandemic. So for anyone to think we should've signed him for the fee Dortmund were reportedly demanding is very naive. The club were absolutely correct in waiting a year and getting him for areasonable fee, which is more in-line with the current Covid affected market.

I also couldn't give two fecks about out-goings. The likes of Mata and Grant are reported to be offered roles which go beyond playing football, so I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with that. Bailly is also absolutely fine as a squad player as things stand IMO.

And the fan channels I watch as a bit of comedy and don't take them seriously. But if you do take them seriously, then I can see why many of you get easily brainwashed.

devilish

Srsly top red YouTube channels are embarrassed, who gives a feck about them, the state of modern football fans.

- Spurs are on their 9th managerial candidate,
- City despite a deal for Kane agreed yesterday was quickly retracted and changed to will make serious bid AFTER the Euro's (wash rinse repeat Grealish), Lost more good young talent because they can't be guaranteed game time like Eric Garcia.
- Liverpool. Worst kept secret in football, Agreed deal for Konate in March / April, Announced in May June, officially unveiled in July not lost of any their deadwood yet
- Arsenal. Arsenal doing Arsenal things
- Chelsea. Any incomings or outgoings ?

As was said in the Sacho thread, if we get Sancho, Amad and Pellestri for the same price as last years Sancho it is good business. Criticised for not getting the good young talent early enough, criticised when we get our pants pulled down, criticised if we dont spunk a load of cash with the 'just pay it' mentality.
If we signed Sancho last year we might have got past the CL group or won the Europa league. Sancho would have generated money through image rights etc as well. But hey money was needed to pay dividends to the Glazers, give contract extensions to Bailly, Jones and hopefully Mata and Grant as well. Ah and we also bought players like Pellistri and VDB who barely ever got any first team football whatsoever and probably they never will. The former is showcased in Spain and if he does well then he will be sold for profit which is really what matters at United these days

This is the same trick we used in Mourinho's last summer were we courted Maguire for 12 months and then unwrapped him under Ole's tenure to show how ambitious the club is. In reality the net spend spread in two years would be ridiculously low for a club of our stature. Yet you still find people falling for it

Last edited:

dinostar77

That breaking news for everyone, since when did City agree a deal with Spurs and levy? Think your mistaken mate.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
So by your logic the story is false...

Mainoldo

Mate you’re on a popular Internet forum. What makes you so different to a fan YouTube watcher.

Come off your invisible horse :lol:

Tiber

I find it difficult to give the club much credit for finally wrapping up a deal that should have been done a year ago.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Not a single club would have bought Sancho for last year’s price.

It was just stupid by Dortmund.

I don’t think many clubs would be interested in Sancho at this years price either - but it’s more likely than last years when you see Pepe for Arsenal etc.

dove

If we signed Sancho last year we might have got past the CL group or won the Europa league. Sancho would have generated money through image rights etc as well. But hey money was needed to pay dividends to the Glazers, give contract extensions to Bailly, Jones and hopefully Mata and Grant as well. Ah and we also bought players like Pellistri and VDB who barely ever got any first team football whatsoever and probably they never will. The former is showcased in Spain and if he does well then he will be sold for profit which is really what matters at United these days

This is the same trick we used in Mourinho's last summer were we courted Maguire for 12 months and then unwrapped him under Ole's tenure to show how ambitious the club is. In reality the net spend spread in two years would be ridiculously low for a club of our stature. Yet you still find people falling for it
Our net spend is not ridiculously low, we have a net spend of £200m in the last couple of years. I don't know what you think we should spend for it to not be "ridiculously low" but the money spent on players was never a problem for us. Paying over £100m for then a 20 year old playing in Bundesliga is a crazy amount of money, would have been monumentally stupid to do that so I am actually quite glad that for once we didn't cave in to insane demands of the selling club. I know most of you are very defensive regarding Sancho but he is a massive risk even now for a lower price. For 1 De Bruyne there are 10 the likes of Mkhitaryan, Werner, Jovic and Pulisic coming from the Bundesliga. Not saying Sancho is one of them but there is a possibility that he will be.

stevoc

The Sancho deal had been dragged for over a year just as the Maguire one. That's certainly not good enough and reflects the sluggish and incompetent United we've seen during the past 7 years.
I'm not so sure, maybe but I think the club have made the decision to try to get the best price on deals instead of just paying whatever the asking club wants as they did in Woodwards early years. Once you get that reputation it's hard to shake it, and the price of player you enquire about gets instantly inflated as they know/think United are rich and a soft touch.

With the Fernandes and hopefully Sancho deals the club have shown they are prepared wait 6-12 months to complete a deal to get what they consider a fair price.

With Maguire we did probably end up paying more but considering Mourinho's disastrous transfer policy I don't honestly blame the club for being hesitant to spend huge sums of cash on Jose's targets back in the summer of 2018.

stevoc

Which ones?

Are we giving Grant and Mata new contracts?

Last edited:

Castia

I agree it’s seemingly going well. To pull off a £80m transfer this early into the summer whilst the Euro’s are ongoing is a positive step.

There’s nobody doing big deals at the minute.

stevoc

I think their idea was that they simply didn't want to sell him, unless someone made an incredible offer.
No I think their idea was they wanted to ream United and hope they were big enough mugs to pay it and make up for Dortmund's Covid losses.