Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

arthurka

See what I found in the basement Ole....
A brand new Murtough not the same guy who has been hanging around the place for the last 7 years no no no..

3 years in the making and they found a new job for a guy who has never done this before, this might actually be what Ed was thinking.

Edit

Don´t know the guy but this just reeks of Ed and the mismanagement we have been made accustomed to.

gajender

Rangnick would obviously do the job of both the bankers, and sign Nagelsmann. Possibly moving Ole to Judge's role.
Not doubting the work of Rangnick but he has excelled at a Club where demand and expectations are clearly different to what is needed at United he may very well have been a Success with us but it's not given and whether Nagelsmann becomes manager of United in future or not , Rangnick not being our Football Director won't be a deal breaker.

Fluctuation0161

Who knows whether these guys are up to the job? Certainly nobody on the caf.

What we do know though is that we have now introduced an extra layer of football expertise (in the form of a former player/coach and a former sports scientist/head of performance) at the level above the manager. I struggle to see how that can be a bad thing.
An extra layer of deflection from Woodward and The Glazers when they only spend £30m this Summer.

They can throw out these 2 as cannon fodder at any protests. :lol:

lex talionis

A positive development, it seems to me, in light of the issues we’ve been complaining about for years. We’ll see if they’re up to the job, but this is a step forward.

Acole9

Outstanding
I don't really see how it's a bad thing. They could have just left it how it was and known no different.

They've publically announced a restructuring which is a sign they agreed it could have worked better. If it allows Woodward to concentrate on the sponsorship/money side, and we get proper football men in Murtough and Fletcher doing the day to day football side, what's not to like?

As long as they are good at their job (proof will be with time) then that's all that matters.
I'm not complaining. If that's who they want for the jobs that's fine by me.

Stormrage101MUFC

At least it's a start, hope they succeed. In any case having Darren Fletcher there can't be a bad thing.

meamth

The club truly believe that Ole is the right man to win the title.

Ole isn't going anywhere soon. More outrage to read here. :drool:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I was thinking the free transfers and long contracts for players we’d like to see moved on are just tiding us over until our own youth breaks through, which actually makes it a pretty solid plan as long as the youth are genuinely top notch. Not just clueless and expensive fumbling to fill squad the squad with stop gaps as a cash saving exercise as I feared but an actual strategy. I expect to see a few more Amad/Pellistri type signings for the first team squad this summer but probably loaning most of them out for a season or 2. This is the way to go. Grow your own and sprinkle with a dash of world class and we are looking very tidy all of a sudden. Sancho or haaland and an Amad type DM and I’d be over the moon. More than likely because of covid it’ll be the same set up as last summer. Maybe a 40/50 million defender and the few expensive young lads and a free transfer which is still solid building. I hope we still compete for the Sanchos and Haalands of this world though and I think we will because they represent a long term plan but it would be just as important that we don’t make the same mistakes again like when we had the chance to sign Haaland and Upamecano on the cheap. I’m sure that’s been an eye opener for the club.

Coleyoscar

Not sure why anyone is critical. This sounds like sound management to me.
I agree we need to give these guys a chance but Ed's track record of managerial appointments is abysmal (he got lucky when Ole, a temporary stop-gap appointment, worked out). I would love to believe that the perfect candidates for these roles were sitting outside Woodward's office all the time but that remains to be seen. If it moves Ed a step away from football decisions, that's a positive I suppose. We live in hope.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yeah that’s the feeling I got. However at the same time we’ve been doing a LOT better in recruitment so it might be best not to rock the boat too much and bring in an outsider who may not see eye to eye with the manager etc.

At least the position has been created now, which is a first for us.

Hopefully we might lure Edwin back for the position :drool:
Yeah can’t disagree with that.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yeah that’s the feeling I got. However at the same time we’ve been doing a LOT better in recruitment so it might be best not to rock the boat too much and bring in an outsider who may not see eye to eye with the manager etc.

At least the position has been created now, which is a first for us.

Hopefully we might lure Edwin back for the position :drool:
Why is Edwin taking over from Woodward as CEO? As that's what he is at Ajax, CEO.

Overmars is the DOF.

They should have hired someone from outside the club, must be a yes man yeah

What pull does Fletcher have in world football to sell United to players ? He’s hardly known outside the UK

This club :lol:
He's not there to deal with new players or selling Man Utd to potential new signings, he's there to deal with seeing if Academy Players have the mentality to play for Man Utd.

Darren will work closely with John to add technical input and direction into all football and performance areas. He will focus on a co-ordinated and long-term approach to player and squad development, helping maintain the integral link between the Academy and the first team, aligned with Manchester United’s values and culture.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...t-of-football-director-and-technical-director

Lewnited

I'm not usually one to trot out this line but I really don't understand the moaning about this. What we need more than anything is alignment and consistency across the club surely?

The reason we've stagnated over the years is that we throw money in an entirely different direction with each manager, and then the next guy has to come in and undo everything thats come before him. If nothing else, Murtough and Fletcher only need to provide us with a clear and concise direction to head in over the next few years irrespective of coaching and playing staff and they would have done a good job.

Beyond that, there's a decent body of evidence of Murthoughs previous work over the last decade and it all looks good. Importantly, this represents a structural change as much as anything else which was much, much needed.

HailtotheKing

I had a small drivable tractor as a kid called ''Big John". It was great fun riding around so on that basis I'll give Murtough the benefit of the doubt.
Probably how Special Ed made the decision. You’re hired!

babsk

Christ he's been DoF for an hour and some of you lot are already moaning :lol: . Deciding to be cautiously optimistic about this because whatever stops those buffoons Woodward and Judge from dealing in our transfers can only be a good thing!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Top? Obviously not. I would have thought it would make sense to report to a board, rather then one individual (unless it was the owner).

As an example, the person in an equivalent job at Chelsea would report to Abramovic, not someone else in between them.

Woodward (non football background) is still going to have the final say on football related decisions. Although you would hope that he is now going to be better informed by this change.
Whereas it would be better if a Director reported to Avram Glazer (non football man), just like the Chelsea model where they report to Abramovic (non football man)?

Dan_F

What? The DoF wouldn't report to the CEO?
I’ll repeat myself again, I don’t think it’s useful having him report to one person who has previously been known to want control of footballing decisions. He clearly has to report to someone, but I honestly don’t see how this is anything other than a change of titles.

Adamsk7

So he’s been directly responsibly for the recent development of our youth recruitment (which has been incredible - possibly the best in the world?) and the creation of the women’s team - again a real positive for the club over the last few years. He’s also been here since 2014.
Thats good enough credentials for me.

As for Fletcher - he’s an intelligent guy and I have no doubts he can present the vision and history of Manchester United to potential signings. Listening to his analysis, you can tell he has a real knowledge and passion for the game.

Real Name

He isn't wearing glasses, isn't German and isn't called Ralf. It's a big no from. Another yes man.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ole’s job isn’t to rebuild the club, he isn’t and hasn’t been doing that. This is a positive in the sense that people now have formal job titles and accountability but whether there is enough competence there we will have to wait and see.
Well that's the thing - it's not his job but he does it.

Why?

In my opinion SAF controlled the club more than just a manager focusing on his players and tactics - he was a fundamental aspect of how the club is run and the decisions we made.

We saw this when he left - Moyes was clueless at the amount of work he had to do at the club and hired alot of his everton workers to join him. We fast forward to Van Gaal and he sells nearly 90% of the squad at his own free will?

Why? Because Van Gaal had the freedom to do as he wishes because ultimately United trusted every manager to control the club as they want at the time. Van Gaal sold everyone and bought complete dress. He was a manager of a philosophy and boy did the whole club feel that philosophy.

Then Jose. Same stuff, he gets to control the club like he wants and how he wants for 3 years.

So personally I'm not really seeing this sudden change of young players, a transfer board, a DOF of a player who is seen speaking to Ooe and a technical director like Fletcher who he played with, the coaches like Carrick and McKenna (cant remember his name).

To me this looks like its influenced by Ole even if it's only influenced 10-25%. It never happened under any other manager.

Dan_F

Whereas it would be better if a Director reported to Avram Glazer (non football man), just like the Chelsea model where they report to Abramovic (non football man)?
I think the issue is more with Woodward retaining authority of football decisions. Glazer would probably just be inclined to trust the director of football he hired, rather than Woodward, who has taken a prominent role in football decisions previously.

What happens if the DoF wants a manager kept, and Woodward thinks he should go?

tomaldinho1

Yeah it was. If you don't want to Google the countless quotes from these managers that's on you. If you really believe Woodward had no involvement in football decisions over the past number of years then fair enough but there is plenty of reports to the contrary.
So where is the proof? This is my point, I see posters say this stuff all day long but there doesn't seem to be any evidence (outside of the Sun or Mail etc) that backs this up. Mou and LVG's criticisms were broad and far reaching but none, literally none of them, suggest Woodward has any more input into a transfer than any other CEO would do i.e. signing off/refusing financials - you should read his interview with UWS.

Even if you did believe he fancied himself as a DoF when he came in, since the transfer committee was formed (which Woodward is not a part of) I don't know why I keep seeing people referencing Woodward having a big input. The committee will make decisions and Ole has the ability to veto signings should he strongly disagree, Woodward is not involved at all.

Brightonian

Whining because you want a DoF with a German surname is the new whining because you want a midfielder with a Spanish surname.

Superden

After the Caf crying out for this appointment for years, how are people still finding a slant to criticise Ed on this?
because we were expecting a proper director of football to take ownership of footballing matters. somebody with the right credentials. this seems like a bit of a fudge.

Erebus

I really hope I'm wrong, but I simply don't see these internal appointments really changing much. However, wait and see and good luck to them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Amazing how people somehow linked our failure in last 7-8 years to Murtough.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think the issue is more with Woodward retaining authority of football decisions. Glazer would probably just be inclined to trust the director of football he hired, rather than Woodward, who has taken a prominent role in football decisions previously.

In which case the ‘issue’ is a made up issue.

RkkMan

Its been covered in the press that Woodward`s role in football decisions is extremely minimal and his major focus is now on commercial matters. The only football matters he`ll be dealing with is the transfer budget and probably a new DOF if the current one fails

saeed

i don't know this guy but i am sure Ed never do a job properly!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Christ he's been DoF for an hour and some of you lot are already moaning :lol: . Deciding to be cautiously optimistic about this because whatever stops those buffoons Woodward and Judge from dealing in our transfers can only be a good thing!
What has he done during that hour though? As usual United are dilly-dallying.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So people think its a good thing that the guy who has apparently been overseeing our recruitment since 2014 - which has been roundly criticised by almost everyone - has now got an official title. People wanting a more established name are not just chasing exotic names but people with a more proven track record and better connections into the European market both for players and managers. I don't understand how anyone can be anything other than pleased the title has been created and underwhelmed by the appointments. This is not best in class. And Fletcher to sell the club? I love the guy but he's not going to be the name that gets some kid who idolised Zidane or Ronaldo or Messi to join.
He hasn't been overseeing our recruitment since 2014, but rather the managers post Fergie have been doing that. There's been a disconnect between the scouts and the manager, which has been the problem.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Reading this thread it’s clear to me that barely anyone knows what they want and why they want it. People literally have no idea how to react - is this good or bad?

All this banging on for a Director for years, now you have one. Then comes the baseless attempt to determine the quality of said director. Basically, nobody knows, nobody sees what the role is, and ultimately all that matters is we win football matches really, but trying to determine what role the structure played in that is futile.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
So where is the proof? This is my point, I see posters say this stuff all day long but there doesn't seem to be any evidence (outside of the Sun or Mail etc) that backs this up. Mou and LVG's criticisms were broad and far reaching but none, literally none of them, suggest Woodward has any more input into a transfer than any other CEO would do i.e. signing off/refusing financials - you should read his interview with UWS.

Even if you did believe he fancied himself as a DoF when he came in, since the transfer committee was formed (which Woodward is not a part of) I don't know why I keep seeing people referencing Woodward having a big input. The committee will make decisions and Ole has the ability to veto signings should he strongly disagree, Woodward is not involved at all.
Thanks, Ed.

el3mel

I don't know how will this affect the direction of club in general. On paper looks like a great decision that came very late. Can only wait and see what will happen this summer.