Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Hoboman

Regardless of persons appointed and current coaching staff, for the first time in a long time it seems that people at the club know what they are doing and have longterm plans in place.

How it will work out is another question.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I mean the first instinct is that promoting from within is just a way of Woodward not letting go of any power while creating a positive PR spin on the situation.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
To be fair I was only joking. I have no idea how good this guy is. Could be the best suited for the job no matter what his experience at the role is.

Good stuff though. If he's great then we keep him, if not then he was a stepping stone to a better outcome that had to start somewhere anyway.
Yep, the structure has changed. That's the main thing. Which is quite unbelievable in itself. I suppose we stop wasting time now in the market and maybe get more proactive in unearthing players before they become megastar, outside of buying Haaland of course :cool:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Good appointment. I believe having a director who knows United values, would be better than having a manager who knows united.

I mean, we shouldn't be emotionally judging a manager just because he knows United. As long as we have someone who understands United in the hierarchy, we are good.

In other words, hope we stop the BS excuses of "he is United through and through ", while going for managers in the future.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I might be too skeptical about this.

But if what we want is to refresh the club because its clear to see we have been struggling ever since SAF retired and no manager in the world could replicate his role.

Why did we keep appointing people who have been at the club for ages? what changes could they bring exactly? you just wouldnt expect them to bring a huge impact. If they do, it will be minimal. Change of job titles but same people, same mentality, same point of view.

I think the issue is more with Woodward retaining authority of football decisions.
feck me, Woodward has very very little involvement in any football decisions. He's said as such himself, that he signs off on money is all, and allows the scouts and experts to decide on football matters.

The idea he was some kind of Abramovich interfering in the football was always a daft one.

POF

I'm really happy with this. It maintains continuity with an existing plan that is looking quite successful but also provides a figurehead for the squad management.

Obviously there will be a large team involved behind the scenes but when it comes to decision making on players, it's now Murtough and Ole making those calls. It's better than the committee approach.

United's revival post Jose has all been built off "the United way" and returning the club to the culture and mentality that made it successful under Fergie.

This also makes perfect sense as to why ex-players like Rio and Evra were linked with the Technical Director role. It's basically a bolt-on role to have an ex United player involved in the new structure. The responsibilites if the Technical Director are all a but vague and I'm assuming - intentionally so.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I mean the first instinct is that promoting from within is just a way of Woodward not letting go of any power while creating a positive PR spin on the situation.
Woodward is the CEO, he holds the power that he wants regardless of where his subordinates come from. It changes nothing for him.

Seven Seas Sardines

The negative part of all this is that Fletcher won't have the input on coaching and tactics that we were hoping for.

Not that he's a known tactical mastermind but anything must be better than the dross Carrick and McKenna keep serving up.

Roboc7

Well that's the thing - it's not his job but he does it.

Why?

In my opinion SAF controlled the club more than just a manager focusing on his players and tactics - he was a fundamental aspect of how the club is run and the decisions we made.

We saw this when he left - Moyes was clueless at the amount of work he had to do at the club and hired alot of his everton workers to join him. We fast forward to Van Gaal and he sells nearly 90% of the squad at his own free will?

Why? Because Van Gaal had the freedom to do as he wishes because ultimately United trusted every manager to control the club as they want at the time. Van Gaal sold everyone and bought complete dress. He was a manager of a philosophy and boy did the whole club feel that philosophy.

Then Jose. Same stuff, he gets to control the club like he wants and how he wants for 3 years.

So personally I'm not really seeing this sudden change of young players, a transfer board, a DOF of a player who is seen speaking to Ooe and a technical director like Fletcher who he played with, the coaches like Carrick and McKenna (cant remember his name).

To me this looks like its influenced by Ole even if it's only influenced 10-25%. It never happened under any other manager.
He’s not doing the rebuild though that’s the point. Woodward, Judge and Murtough are just doing what they were previously doing, the academy was rebuilt before Ole walked in the door, the transfer policy and committee were all brought in under Jose against his will.

This is responsibility being taken away from the manager to ensure we’re not in same position we were when SAF left of one man doing everything.

Drz

They should have hired someone from outside the club, must be a yes man yeah

What pull does Fletcher have in world football to sell United to players ? He’s hardly known outside the UK

This club :lol:
From an academy perspective Fletcher's a good choice because he knows what it took to get promoted to the first team, but in terms of communication and contacts across Europe I'd have found some space for Evra to work with them.

Smores

I'd never heard of him until 5 minutes ago so can't really complain. It's probably meaningless PR but given we don't know this guy it seems futile speculating.

I'd rather have someone with a bit of a record but there's not too many out there anyway so let's see.

ChaddyP

who do we blame when we dont sign another CB this summer? thats all this boils down to

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It could well be that Ed trusts him enough now to formalize the role and restructure the hierarchy with him having less to do with the football minutiae. It would make sense for Ed as well as there is more pressure on the financial side that needs his attention with the revenues dropping as result of the pandemic.

Matt851

From an academy perspective Fletcher's a good choice because he knows what it took to get promoted to the first team, but in terms of communication and contacts across Europe I'd have found some space for Evra to work with them.
A man that spends his time licking raw chickens? Or maybe we could have hired someone who has done the job before and has proved their competence

You could draw parallels between the way we are run and the way the government ran the covid response. Jobs for the boys all the way

Skills

Snitch
So is Solskjaer directly reporting to him? Because the role means nothing if head coach isn't reporting to him.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Imagine if we hire pep and he reports and takes instructions from fletcher and murtough....
With enough time we could force him to develop a weird scottish and scouse mixed accent.

stu_1992

this is who we are now
I suppose but how many top clubs hire their DOF from other places? I genuinely don't know. I think think of the likes of Roma, Sevilla or Lille hiring the so-called proven DOFs but those aren't exactly the types of club I think of when I think about what we're trying to do here. I suppose PSG poached Leonardo from Milan but again wasn't he just a former player given a chance at this type of job at Milan? If you look at the likes of Bayern or Ajax they are always just hiring from within and keeping former players involved. But from my knowledge at least these were just former players who were given a chance at the job and allowed to develop into the role or moved on. It can certainly work out as they have shown, that's not to say it will work if you look at Abidal at Barcelona for example that didn't work out. The way I see it though, there's no DOF or Technical director that's a guaranteed success or that would fit into any given club. I think it's important to have that structure, I can't say I favored hiring a proven DOF over giving someone else a chance.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
So is Solskjaer directly reporting to him? Because the role means nothing if head coach isn't reporting to him.
Yeah I heard it's setup so when Murtough enters the dressing room Ole has to standup and give him a report in front of the players. He can only sit down when Murtough says so as well.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This forum man. Even when we get what we want we aren't happy.

The guys been around since 2014 and we want "someone better" aka, someone we've heard of.

Lord give me strength
you mean not heard of like Edwin van der Sar or countless guys with the same job title at other top clubs?

Drz

A man that spends his time licking raw chickens? Or maybe we could have hired someone who has done the job before and has proved their competence

You could draw parallels between the way we are run and the way the government ran the covid response. Jobs for the boys all the way
I don't equate doing this job to rocket science. And there is no one out there I could personally vouch for, who says some of these DoFs are not in the pocket of some agents?

Skills

Snitch
Yeah I heard it's setup so when Murtough enters the dressing room Ole has to standup and give him a report in front of the players. He can only sit down when Murtough says so as well.
Sounds more like it.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Woodward is the CEO, he holds the power that he wants regardless of where his subordinates come from. It changes nothing for him.
Yes but the perception for years is that he has to much say in the football side of the business which he doesn't have the knowledge or skills to do, which is why the whole bringing in a director of football has been such a rallying point for many fans. The hope is that a director of football could handle the on the pitch vision for the club. this hiring's just smacked of PR stunt and Woodward having some one to blame if things go wrong. Rather than putting people in place who properly know to build a well structured successful football club. But maybe i'm being too cynical.

Skills

Snitch
Fletcher's the spy planted in the coaching staff. Wonder how long it'll take him to stab Solskjaer in the back

gajender

you mean not heard of like Edwin van der Sar or countless guys with the same job title at other top clubs?
Yeah like Edwin Van Der Sar man who has never held the role of Director of Football ever great example to make your point.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
The cynic in me can't helpt but think there's something in Woodward appointing a football director, as opposed to a director of football.
I wonder what the reaction will be when we see this guys name on the director credits of MUTV produced video content.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It could well be that Ed trusts him enough now to formalize the role and restructure the hierarchy with him having less to do with the football minutiae. It would make sense for Ed as well as there is more pressure on the financial side that needs his attention with the revenues dropping as result of the pandemic.
I hope so. the cynic in me just thinks he has put a lacky yes man in the role, and Flecther because he is loved by the fans. When in reality nothing has changed one bit and it's just a bit of a PR stunt and people have said united have to need to hire these positions for years.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I suppose but how many top clubs hire their DOF from other places? I genuinely don't know. I think think of the likes of Roma, Sevilla or Lille hiring the so-called proven DOFs but those aren't exactly the types of club I think of when I think about what we're trying to do here. I suppose PSG poached Leonardo from Milan but again wasn't he just a former player given a chance at this type of job at Milan? If you look at the likes of Bayern or Ajax they are always just hiring from within and keeping former players involved. But from my knowledge at least these were just former players who were given a chance at the job and allowed to develop into the role or moved on. It can certainly work out as they have shown, that's not to say it will work if you look at Abidal at Barcelona for example that didn't work out. The way I see it though, there's no DOF or Technical director that's a guaranteed success or that would fit into any given club. I think it's important to have that structure, I can't say I favored hiring a proven DOF over giving someone else a chance.
I think an outside star name DOF and we are back to ripping it up and trying to build a new squad in his image. I’m sure everyone is sick of the rebuild at this stage. This is the team that brought in Bruno and has us in second. Signs are good things are settling down behind the scenes and people want to rip it up and start again?

Dan_F

feck me, Woodward has very very little involvement in any football decisions. He's said as such himself, that he signs off on money is all, and allows the scouts and experts to decide on football matters.

The idea he was some kind of Abramovich interfering in the football was always a daft one.
I didn’t say anywhere that he was doing anything other than having the final say on transfers. It’s quite an important part of it though.