Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Foxbatt

Michels laid the foundations for the Ajax team in 70s, and his team's played a very fluid brand of football which had heavy emphasis on positional play. Stefan Kovac's brought more freedom to Michels's work but the concept remained the same. He enjoyed his best moments at Ajax after the foundation was laid by Michels but couldn't replicate that success anywhere else. Him giving the team more freedom was also said to be the destruction of that team.
I am not talking from reading something online. I have seen Ajax play lots of times in the 70s in Amsterdam. Giving the team the license to play more freely was not the reason for the team to collapse. The Dutch were always an argumentative side. It is happening even now. Cruijff fell out with everyone and then when he left and Neeskens followed him, the team collapsed. Piet Keizer had also come to the end of his career and Blankenberg left to go to back to Germany.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I am not talking from reading something online. I have seen Ajax play lots of times in the 70s in Amsterdam. Giving the team the license to play more freely was not the reason for the team to collapse. The Dutch were always an argumentative side. It is happening even now. Cruijff fell out with everyone and then when he left and Neeskens followed him, the team collapsed. Piet Keizer had also come to the end of his career and Blankenberg left to go to back to Germany.
I'm talking from reading opinions of the Dutch who are saying this. It was Michels who laid the foundation for the Ajax team which benefitted Kovacs. The concept was the same with the goalkeeper used like a ball playing CB. You can't compare Michels' concept at Ajax, which evolved over time and is still witnessed at Man City etc now, to what is happening at United under Ole.

Foxbatt

I'm talking from reading opinions of the Dutch who are saying this. It was Michels who laid the foundation for the Ajax team which benefitted Kovacs. The concept was the same with the goalkeeper used like a ball playing CB. You can't compare Michels' concept at Ajax, which evolved over time and is still witnessed at Man City etc now, to what is happening at United under Ole.
You must be joking. City has nothing much like Ajax under Michels. LVG's Ajax is much more similar to Michels than City or Barca under Pep. Or for that matter under Cruijff.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You must be joking. City has nothing much like Ajax under Michels. LVG's Ajax is much more similar to Michels than City or Barca under Pep. Or for that matter under Cruijff.
I'm not sure what you're finding hard to grasp. City play a style that evolved from the team/concept that was put into motion by Michels.

LVGs Ajax also had a play style that evolved from Michels' team.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
"We're not here to take part. We're here to take over."

- John Murtough, 2021

hungrywing

A administrator/executive can head up efforts but can't lead in the actual process hence Murtough being described as a 'innovator' in the field.

Maybe it's just me, but his background was instantly identifiable when he first joined the club for the purpose of revamping the back ground structure and modernising the club, which was his job.
Maybe you picked it up somewhere along the way due to being much more involved in following the game.

For me, @dinostar77 outright stating/providing the information that Murtough is a data scientist explained many things.

A few months back when the appointment was made we saw a lot of people worrying/posting that he was just another Woodward. I think if someone had made his background known back then, we'd have seen the conversation branch out in that direction and it would have been good for the forum.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe you picked it up somewhere along the way due to being much more involved in following the game.

For me, @dinostar77 outright stating/providing the information that Murtough is a data scientist explained many things.

A few months back when the appointment was made we saw a lot of people worrying/posting that he was just another Woodward. I think if someone had made his background known back then, we'd have seen the conversation branch out in that direction and it would have been good for the forum.
The conversation branched into a direction which sadly was not in my control at the time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Imagine we get £73m Sancho and £26m Camavinga, what a bargain for two top young talented players. This could be a massive improvement in our transfer strategy.

sp_107

IN : Sancho / Carmavinga / Varane / Trippier / Remero
OUT: Lindelof / Baily / Martial / Dalot / Matic / Jesse / Perrera / Williams / Jones

Can we consider this as a good summer

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sancho wrapped up before the end of June. Working on deals for Varane and Camavinga - at the same time! Why do we look weirdly competent all of a sudden? Is this Fletcher’s doing?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We appear to be more focused. We don't known the dynamic at play but I always found some posters aversion to a DoF weird.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
OUT: Lindelof / Baily / Martial / Dalot / Matic / Jesse / Perrera / Williams / Jones

Why would you want to lose all your centre backs? Even if you get Romero and Varane. If you lose Lindelof and Bailly what happens if Maguire and one other is injured? Tuanzebe and ......? Lindelof is severely underated on this forum.
Also I don't get why you would ant to spend so much on Trippier. I think the club seem to have this absolutely right, if you can get him for 15-20M then it's good buy, but if you have to pay the 40M Madrid are holding out for then it's a waste of money with Dalot still developing.
Why get rid of Martial? Cavani won't be able to play 40 games a season and I'm not sure Greenwood and Rashford between them can fill that centre forward role, Martial was hit by poor form and injuries last season, but he is a 20 goal a season striker. It's pointless getting rid of him if you're not bringing a striker in.

I think the transfers in and out listed above would feel great on the face of it, but actually leave you in a vulnerable position.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

It’s a good summer on paper but you’re leaving us extremely light up front & at centre back. Cavani as only proper centre forward & only 3 senior centre backs (with one of those being Tuanzebe) doesn’t seem wise. I’d keep Lindelof & Martial for sure. Greenwood isn’t able to play as a loan striker yet.

pascell

I've a feeling after Sancho and potentially Varane and Camavinga, we won't be finished. I think there's enough wiggle room for one more marquee signing, especially if the reports of £150m net are to be believed.

Sancho - £73m
Varane - £43m
Camavinga - £25m (just saying that price sounds like cheating, I hope that comes off)

Total - £141m, that's before selling.

We could end up selling Pogba, Martial, Dalot, Matic, Pereira, Chong, James and Jones. That's over £100m of players which would bring our net spend down to £40-50m.

Post Euros bid for Grealish? Yes please :drool:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We're not selling more than 3-4 players and we're certainly not selling Martial or Lindelof :lol:. Some of you live in fantasy land. This is the club that gave Mata a new contract FFS.

tomaldinho1

Sancho wrapped up before the end of June. Working on deals for Varane and Camavinga - at the same time! Why do we look weirdly competent all of a sudden? Is this Fletcher’s doing?
I imagine we’re one of very few clubs who can afford players in honesty…hard to read into how good our transfers are when clubs can’t resist us financially like they have the last decade or so.

roseguy64

We're not selling more than 3-4 players and we're certainly not selling Martial or Lindelof :lol:. Some of you live in fantasy land. This is the club that gave Mata a new contract FFS.
They do it all the time and I always just quickly scroll past.

In very good. But out would cripple us defensively. Trippier is none essential as Dalot is very good and should be given a chance, also Tripper you sign to be a starter.
Out: James, Jones, Lingard, Perrera, Matic

RedDevilRoshi

Part in bold is what has took me by surprise as in the past we seemed to just work on one deal at a time.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don’t think we can give too much credit so far as all we’ve really done is get a transfer over the line that has been 12 months in the making. Let’s see what happens from now and then we can assess.

laughtersassassin

Early signs are positive but it's way too early to go out giving them credit yet.

This summer could still go either way.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
In very good. But out would cripple us defensively. Trippier is none essential as Dalot is very good and should be given a chance, also Tripper you sign to be a starter.
Out: James, Jones, Lingard, Perrera, Matic
Not really but he'll be sold because he's one of the few players that's hasn't had his reputation completely ruined.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What even is this guy?? Quick and efficient business so far and those signings are actually top players. It shows how awful we were when Ed took in charge.