Manchester United Premier Cup: World Finals

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I always wonder why clubs participate? Ok.. great for experience but ultimately it saves United money in terms of scouting. Bring the best kids around the world to you rather than fly around trying to talent spot.

Bringing the mountain to Mohammed comes to mind.;)

Penny

Glazer get to a after drink brawl with Shittu, bot
The pictures are real sharp, good one!! ;)

mm... seeing a Malaysian Team there is fun. Kedah is a state at the north of Malaysia.. Traditionally strong in soccer though.. The kids must be going to have real fun playing the big guys like Man Utd and Barca.

lysglimt

Scout
Barcelona beat us 3-0 in the first game. Unfortunately it sounds like we were completely outplayed according to MU.com.

Unfortunately not surprising - we usually have crap teams at this level

PS18

Josh Harrop
8. James Weir
9. Daniel O'Brien
1. Daniel Atkinson (GK)
15. Omar Thompson
4. Joe Rothwell (c)
John Pritchard
Liam Grimshaw
14. James Wilson
10. Ben Pearson
Ben Barber
Nicolas Ioannou

Some of the players involved.

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
I recall in last years tournament our players were far behind other teams in their physical development.
I completely agree. Even when you watch the highlights from that age group, many of the opposition teams are clearly advanced physically (the Right to Dream Academy players are already like adults!).

Obviously, we don't want to use that as an excuse, and particularly as it wouldn't be surprising if Barcelona beat us 3-0 under any circumstances. But I do believe that it is worth thinking about.

Several years ago I remember either a scout or a youth coach suggested that players from certain Northern European countries, on average, develop 2-3 years later than their counterparts from Southern Europe, and certainly in other parts of the world.

That's almost certainly true physically — because the differences between largely separated gene pools grow over time — although immigration will affect that, but it's also true technically. As we have seen with the recent announcement, British youngsters are currently only given something like 5-6 hours of coaching per week, in comparison to between 15-20 in other parts of Europe, and certainly other parts of the world. If you add up how much contact with the ball that amounts to over time, the difference at 14-15 years of age is enormous.

Part of the article on youth development:

Under the plan, top-flight academies will be told to provide 15 to 20 hours of coaching for their nine to 16-year-olds instead of the current five hours.

[...]

Roddy says the average 18-year-old at Ajax in Holland would have had 6,000 hours of 'contact time' compared to 2,500 for the equivalent player in England.
MSS Kedah 1 - 2 Manchester United

I'll update the table and scores at the end of day one.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Sir Alex was sitting in the hotel lobby not long ago and asked me how the Under-15s got on against Barcelona this morning in the Manchester United Premier Cup. He was disappointed to hear they'd lost 3-0... but not too surprised. And that's not an indictment on the current crop of young Reds. He said: "We've got a good side but we've traditionally struggled at that age. Our lads just aren't physically developed to the same level as a lot of other countries' kids."

Nick Coppack twitter

VoetbalWizard

Sir Alex was sitting in the hotel lobby not long ago and asked me how the Under-15s got on against Barcelona this morning in the Manchester United Premier Cup. He was disappointed to hear they'd lost 3-0... but not too surprised. And that's not an indictment on the current crop of young Reds. He said: "We've got a good side but we've traditionally struggled at that age. Our lads just aren't physically developed to the same level as a lot of other countries' kids."

Nick Coppack twitter
barca's u15 are stronger and faster and more physically developed than ours? :confused:

I know our lads are usually smaller and more 'technical' than other british academies, but I cannot imagine us losing the physical side to spanish u15's.

now technically i wouldn't be surprised. but physically? really?

VoetbalWizard

I completely agree. Even when you watch the highlights from that age group, many of the opposition teams are clearly advanced physically (the Right to Dream Academy players are already like adults!).

Obviously, we don't want to use that as an excuse, and particularly as it wouldn't be surprising if Barcelona beat us 3-0 under any circumstances. But I do believe that it is worth thinking about.

Several years ago I remember either a scout or a youth coach suggested that players from certain Northern European countries, on average, develop 2-3 years later than their counterparts from Southern Europe, and certainly in other parts of the world.

That's almost certainly true physically — because the differences between largely separated gene pools grow over time — although immigration will affect that, but it's also true technically. As we have seen with the recent announcement, British youngsters are currently only given something like 5-6 hours of coaching per week, in comparison to between 15-20 in other parts of Europe, and certainly other parts of the world. If you add up how much contact with the ball that amounts to over time, the difference at 14-15 years of age is enormous.

Part of the article on youth development:

MSS Kedah 1 - 2 Manchester United

I'll update the table and scores at the end of day one.
so southern european lads grow much quicker, but northern european lads when they hit their spurt end up growing larger/stronger when its all said and done?

just want to make sure I understand this right.

datura

barca's u15 are stronger and faster and more physically developed than ours? :confused:

I know our lads are usually smaller and more 'technical' than other british academies, but I cannot imagine us losing the physical side to spanish u15's.

now technically i wouldn't be surprised. but physically? really?
He never said that, it's just a general observation, as per what Joga and myself said.

Joga_Bonito

so southern european lads grow much quicker, but northern european lads when they hit their spurt end up growing larger/stronger when its all said and done?

just want to make sure I understand this right.
With any populations that have been isolated to a certain extent, which has been the case in most countries until relatively recently, the differences will grow over time. Clearly, Southern Europeans should be closer to each other genetically because of geographical location, as should Northern Europeans.

If and why Southern European children develop, on average, physically sooner (and physically can mean many things, not just height) than some Northern European children, I can't say for sure. I could think of plenty of reasons why that might be so, but without looking in to it in more detail, I can't offer a definitive answer.

With mass migration and globalization populations are now "mixing" like never before, and that should equalize many of the differences over time, although it doesn't necessarily remove the environmental and cultural pressures which may have led to the various differences in the first place.

VoetbalWizard

With any populations that have been isolated to a certain extent, which has been the case in most countries until relatively recently, the differences will grow over time. Clearly, Southern Europeans should be closer to each other genetically because of geographical location, as should Northern Europeans.

If and why Southern European children develop, on average, physically sooner (and physically can mean many things, not just height) than some Northern European children, I can't say for sure. I could think of plenty of reasons why that might be so, but without looking in to it in more detail, I can't offer a definitive answer.

With mass migration and globalization populations are now "mixing" like never before, and that should equalize many of the differences over time, although it doesn't necessarily remove the environmental and cultural pressures which may have led to the various differences in the first place.
ic. thanks for the explanation.

greater wall

People have been known to lie on their birth certificates to appear younger than they really are. It is pretty rife all over the place.

datura

Barcelona are currently playing the Sutherland Sharks, anything other than a Sharks win will mean that we will only require a draw in our final game against the sharks to progress (by my quick calculation!)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Excellent stuff. Think the only name I recognise is Ben Pearson, is he one of the younger lads that went to Malta recently (at least, I think that was where it was. Training camp somewhere anyway)?

Who's next, Porto? Or is there a draw? Cheers for the updates.

PS18

Porto next, yep.

Pearson went to Malta, yeah, he's quite highly-rated. Very short (or was anyway), quite creative. Have heard good things about the captain Rothwell and Josh Harrop as well.

Daniel Atkinson, the goalie, is on loan from Leeds.

Joga_Bonito

FC Porto will probably be a very difficult game, but I'd rather them than Internacional. Seven out of the thirteen previous winners have been from Brazil, and we have traditionally struggled against that mixture of athleticism and technical quality. It will be really interesting to see how Barcelona do against Internacional.

By the way, Arthur Albiston said on MUTV yesterday that the Barcelona players — and I'm paraphrasing — "we're enormous. They certainly didn't look like U15's".

cj_sparky

Sounds like the youngsters showed a lot of character after a big loss to Barcelona to bounce back with 3 wins.

datura

Porto next, yep.

Pearson went to Malta, yeah, he's quite highly-rated. Very short (or was anyway), quite creative. Have heard good things about the captain Rothwell and Josh Harrop as well.

Daniel Atkinson, the goalie, is on loan from Leeds.
Pearson stood out last year on the highlights.

Wier played last year if I remember correctly.

PS18

Looking at the match photos, I think the training pics at the top are a different team (presumably just borrowing kit). Looks like a different set of players, and while the United players have the proper training kit on in some other pictures, that lot are wearing unnumbered match jerseys with unofficial shorts/socks.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Looking at the match photos, I think the training pics at the top are a different team (presumably just borrowing kit). Looks like a different set of players, and while the United players have the proper training kit on in some other pictures, that lot are wearing unnumbered match jerseys with unofficial shorts/socks.

Can presumably put one name to a face as well - we only scored once against Kedah, so I guess the kid celebrating is James Wilson.
Plus, isn't there a rule at the club that you can only wear black boots up until getting a scholarship? Or is that just an urban legend which I've fallen for?

Joga_Bonito

Can presumably put one name to a face as well - we only scored once against Kedah, so I guess the kid celebrating is James Wilson.
That's a good spot. I hadn't even noticed. There appears to be some pictures of what looks like United's players in training kit. I swear that they weren't there before!

PS18

Plus, isn't there a rule at the club that you can only wear black boots up until getting a scholarship? Or is that just an urban legend which I've fallen for?
That's true as well, yeah. Nick Coppack tweeted earlier that he agreed with the 'black boot rule', so I assume it's still in place and being followed by the United boys (and they all seem to be in black in the match photos).