Manchester United to face Real Sociedad in the last 32 of the Europa League

Gasolin

So far, we are supposed to play WBA away, Real Sociedad away, Newcastle home, Real Sociedad home, Chelsea away.

It would be safer to win in the 1st leg by being lethal in counter attacks and just play it safe in the 2nd leg at home.

laughtersassassin

Just coming in to say I'm not having all these comments saying we can just focus on the league now.

It's cannot be tolerated if we get knocked out of this too.

Marshal

Real Sociedad is the team playing best football in La Liga this year. However they have a big problem scoring goals, their 2 strikers Isak and Willian José are in a very bad moment, otherwise they would have a few points more.

It's a really good offensive team, it won't be easy but at the same time they don't have a super strong defense and this "champion" mentality like Sevilla or Madrid. They won't park the bus either.

I hope to watch a really nice match

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
One of the 3 teams I was hoping to avoid but there we go. I'm sure they'd rather not be facing us either if they were honest.

Arsenal v Benfica looks a good one too. Fancy the Portuguese to go through

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Say what you want about Ole but one thing we can all agree on is our luck in cup draws under him has been awful. FA cup draws have been mostly very tough, we've had Manchester Derby in league cup, a very tricky CL group and now one of the toughest last 32 Europa ties we could have got.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Our record against Spanish sides is shit

Inigo Montoya

They've drawn to Alaves and Eibar in their last 2 games. They'll soon be overtaken by both Madrid sides.

Folks you need to stop bricking it each time we draw a side in Europe

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They've drawn to Alaves and Eibar in their last 2 games. They'll soon be overtaken by both Madrid sides.

Folks you need to stop bricking it each time we draw a side in Europe
Our record against Spanish sides is god awful though. No wins in the last 9 or something.

We never seem to play well against them even when we manage to beat them (Celta Vigo, Sociedad)

Chairman Steve

Our record to Spanish sides is meh at best. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Utd comprehensively dispatch a Spanish team in European competition. It’s always on a knife edge against them.

SoCross

They are playing arguably the best football in Spain right now. Tough tough draw.

Inigo Montoya

Our record against Spanish sides is god awful though. No wins in the last 9 or something.

We never seem to play well against them even when we manage to beat them (Celta Vigo, Sociedad)
Previous records shouldn't affect the present. New game in a new season. It's the kind of challenge we should now relish instead of easy games against the likes of LASK. If we go out to a really good Sociedad side then at least go down playing good football and not the dire spectacle we were treated to against RB

Ludens the Red

Seriously cannot believe we drew them. Out of all the fecking shite in the Europa League. Did we not get a high seeding or something ?
Thought we’d get some village idiots as Spurs did and could rest half our team, can’t do that now:rolleyes:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
They are playing arguably the best football in Spain right now. Tough tough draw.
They've drawn their last 6 matches?

Three in the league, two of which were against pretty rank lower midtable sides...

Shark

@NotShark
Tbh I'm glad. Early exit from being back in this nightmare of a competition. Genuinely sick of being in it.

always_hoping

Once again under Ole United get the short straw in a cup draw and yet some think he's a lucky manager?

SER19

Pretty confident in beating them. Though finding it hard to care at the minute

NJM78

Tough draw but regardless we make even the shittest teams look good 8/10 games. Anyway I couldn't give a shit about Europa this season, we won't win it anyway.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not thinking about this until February. My interest will be directly tied to where we are in the league when the Europa League starts up again.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
We played against them in the group stage in 2013, when they had Griezmann in their ranks. The only two United players who played in those games that are still in the squad are De Gea and Jones.
There he is, standing the test of time

justsomebloke

Do they press like City? Because either way, if we find our final third pass back, we will score that time. We got out of City's press by playing Pogba and Bruno on the side during the transition and when one was coming to help, the other one became central. We had some beautiful sequences to get out and we f***** up the last pass only. If they press us and we are less error prone, I don't think we will struggle too much, even away.

But if they don't press, then maybe the game is easier for us physically speaking.
That's a very interesting observation from the City game. Sort of 4222? Didn't generate a great deal of offensive pressure though?

Enigma_87

You know who
They'll probably be bottom half when the game comes.

The only top ten sides they have beaten so far are Cadiz, Betis and Granada. Yet to play Sevilla, Barca and Atletico - two of those ties come in the next three games.

They are playing some nice football from what I've seen, but very far from a top side.

RashyForPM

This version of Real Sociedad is in my view superior to that. They’re a well run, knit together and well coached team. After brushing horns with the big guys for a while last season, slipping a bit towards the end but reaching the cup final and a Europa League place, they lost playmaker Ødegaard and yet leads La Liga this year. They are inexperienced in Europe, but have gotten some decent matching in the group games facing Napoli and AZ. Coach Immanol is in house after going the ranks with youth setup, and the team is based around young talent with work ethic and collective spirit drilled into them, while allowing players freedom to express themselves. Ødegaard was helped by this, and players like Mikel Oyarzabal, Januzaj, David Silva and Alexander Isak are interesting to follow in that setup.

Fingers crossed their form has dipped when we meet them, otherwise it’s going to be a really tough nut to crack, and an interesting fixture.
Understand that Barranetxea (sp) or Portu plays ahead of Adnan, but that is a Champions League KO stages quality front 4 either way. Certainly better than any front 4 we can put out, if we’re being very honest. On current form, only Bruno gets into that, and only at RW because Silva is too slow to play there now.

LS17

I know they’re doing well so we’ll need to play well but at end of the day it’s still the sort of team we shouldn’t be worrying about. There’s no reason not to get to the final considering the teams in it so long as he puts out strong teams.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
This at least makes it interesting and worth a watch rather than some shit long trip like Kiev in the middle of the winter.

Betson

it will be 0-0 at their place, lots of back slapping at a professional job well done. then we'll conceded late on and lose on away goals at home. the memories.
And then someone will add it to the irreverent defeats list.

SoCross

They'll probably be bottom half when the game comes.

The only top ten sides they have beaten so far are Cadiz, Betis and Granada. Yet to play Sevilla, Barca and Atletico - two of those ties come in the next three games.

They are playing some nice football from what I've seen, but very far from a top side.
Perhaps!. I meant stylistically, some really pretty football. If we aren’t at the races mentally like the first 15 mins against Leipzig, we are in for trouble.